Schaefer Beer

Discussion in 'New England' started by Dools9, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm looking for Schaefer beer in the Boston area. Anyone know where I can find it? My dad used to drink it and asks me to get it all the time. He wants to try it again for sentimental purposes.

budgie likes this.
  2. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Not Boston, but I used to buy it at Granite Liquors in Weymouth so you could check with them if nothing closer turns up.

3. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Thanks, not too far from me actually. I remember seeing it their myself a few years ago.

4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Pooh-Bah (1,841) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

The nearest place I know it can be found is CT; maybe calling stores will locate something closer. I have fond, and 1 or 2 not so fond, memories of the 75 cent quarts from college.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pabst's Schaefer Beer website used to have a "Beer Finder" which listed distributors by state, but it seems to be gone.

Might imply Schaefer is on Pabst's chopping block...such as what happened to its fellow ex-Brooklyn beer, Piels (and Falstaff, Lucky Lager, Ballantine Beer, Schmidt's of Phila., etc). They sure don't put much effort into the brand - once among the largest (#5 in the US in the late '60s) - like they do with some of their other former big regional brands like Lone Star, Old Style, Stroh's, Rainier, etc

Alternately, you could call Pabst's toll free at (800) 947-2278 - no use looking for a beer in a state in which they no longer ship Schaefer to their distributors.

#5 jesskidden, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  6. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Pooh-Bah (1,836) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I know they must distribute to Rhode Island (as of recently), as I was out at a Providence eatery with "66 AmeriCANS of beer" and Schaefer was one of the options on the menu.

7. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Not sure if it'll scratch that nostalgia itch but I have seen Ballantine six packs at my local grocery stores.

8. InspectorBob

InspectorBob Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2009 New Jersey

You can find Schaefer beer at Bell Beverage on Front St. in South Philly. But the 2+ hour drive .....

9. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Massachusetts

Call Atlas Distributing in Auburn and ask for a list of stores that might carry it. Atlas covers most Central Mass, Fitchburg, Natick areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.