Schell's Response to the Brewer's Association

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by RKPStogie, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2009 Iowa

Really, what I would love to see is a chart that breaks down percentage of barrels thusly or so: smaller size craft/independent/whatever the hell you want; top 10 craft brewers; independent "better beer" producers (Which I agree should be rolled into craft, but whatever, this would include Schell's); "better beer" brands held by corporations (Goose Island, Blue Moon), and then the rest, maybe differentiated by import/domestic.

Does this exist anywhere out there?

2. cmannes

cmannes Pundit (943) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

What if we just judged beer on the beer itself? Whether my brother makes it in a coffee pot, or it's brewed in a multi-million dollar production line, what if I try both, and judge the beer.... On the beer itself.

Not to say I won't complain if someone uses their money to squeeze out shelf space, or unfairly manipulate the 3-tieir system. But that's not the 'beer.' I can debate and complain about the system's behind the beer all the day. But in the end, the beer I drink, I can judge on the "beer" itself.

3. hardy008

hardy008 Pooh-Bah (2,257) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am also on Schell's side in this dispute. Hands down, Schell's makes by far the best lagers of any brewery in this country. Since it is harder to brew a good lager than a good ale, I think Schell's is definitely a craft brewer.

4. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Colorado

A bit disappointing to see BA completely discrediting itself with such arbitrary and biased standards. Oh, and Boston Beer Company is a great standard bearer for "craft". I'm sure that 8 month old light struck bottle served in a south Alabama bar next to the Bud Light really does wonders the image of "craft beer". Comical.

I do agree though with the previous poster that this list will have negligable impact on Schell's consumers.

5. dj420

dj420 Aspirant (237) Aug 9, 2007 Minnesota

Schell's 12-packs are on sale this week @ Coborns Liquor. Time to stock up.

Chaz and WhatANicePub like this.
  6. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Shouldnt be too hard to put together from the BA's annual release of brewery production. In fact, all of that info is in it. Check out the May/June issue of The New Brewer. The info isnt 100% accurate, as they have to estimate for some and some dont give the BA accurate info.

7. rlcoffey

Technically, they werent craft because they werent American. BA definition only applies to American Breweries.

:slight_smile:

8. rlcoffey

The definitions from the BA have nothing to do with judging beer.

This gets a lot less controversial when people understand that.

Beezee likes this.
  9. rlcoffey

No one has ownership of the term. We are all free to use/ignore the BA definition as we see fit. I know I do (generally, Im fine with it, but I ignore it in the case of Shiner, feel free to do the same [in the opposite direction] for Schell's).

dhannes likes this.
  10. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

They better kick New Glarus out for using corn in Spotted Cow

11. rlcoffey

I think someone should actually read the definition.

12. rlcoffey

Here are some of the numbers for 2011 (all numbers in 1,000s of BBLs):

Total craft (BA definition): 11,468
    Top 10:
    1. Boston** 2,096
    2. Sierra Nevada 858
    3. New Belgium 713
    4. Gambrinus* 567
    5. Deschutes 221
    6. Matt 196
    7. Bell's 181
    8. Harpoon 174
    9. Lagunitas 165
    10. Boulevard 157

Schell at 130, btw.

*yeah, I dont get it either
    **2,471 if you include Twisted Tea and Cider

13. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

mmmm, Schell's Burton Ale :slight_smile:

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  14. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm even more confused about Yuengling: the lager is all malt isn't it?

Presumably those don't use adjuncts? :wink:

That's another sort of ridiculous bit the Schell's response alludes too - I'm pretty sure they changed the definition of "small" when Boston got too big.

15. bergbrew

bergbrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2004 Minnesota

Careful, I'm going to think you are stalking me, as you seem to want to engage me on every post. As I said before, I don't know your beef with American Adjunct Lager, or apparently, Schell. Give it a rest. Or don't. I don't care. Because, I'm going to work tomorrow and making beer. What exactly are you doing?

16. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

What does being "blacklisted" by this faux association actually mean?

17. bergbrew

You can't play in any reindeer games. And as everyone knows, those are the best ones.

JSL, 2beerdogs, RyanMM and 8 others like this.
  18. dhannes

dhannes Savant (1,103) Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

Wisconsin has a handful of breweries like Schell's--Leinenkugel's, Minhas (formerly Berghoff's, formerly Huber), and Point--older breweries that have been around before the "craft" movement started and survived by producing lower priced AAL's but now are letting their brewmasters expand their offerings...in other words, they were not craft brewers but are now making craft beers. They should be included (even though I personally think most of Leinie's offerings are watered down).

19. rlcoffey

Just a topic Im interested in.

If you had read the 1000s of my posts like you said in the other thread, you would know my beef with AALs. I really dont have one. Ive said many times that if I had the power to eliminate one beer style from the Earth, it would be American Wheats. I dont drink AALs, never have (Ive tried them, of course, but Im one of those people who can count on one hand the number of beers they had in college [with a thumb and maybe a pinky left over], and in 87-91 Georgia, that was all that was available). I also dont drink stouts and rauchbier. I think that about covers what I wont drink.

As far as I know, I dont have a beef with Schell. If yall are at Great Taste, I will stop by next year, it sounds like you have some good beers. I wont be trying Grain Belt though. I do have a beef with all (almost all, I guess) the breweries that existed from, say 1934 (Im not concerned about pre-pro) to 1984. They are all a bit responsible for the path the American beer industry went down.

As far as tomorrow goes? I was planning on brewing a zoigl.

20. bergbrew

That's a nice piece of revisionist history. Where did you get that, Beer Wars? Or was it from any of Uncle Charlie's books? I'm afraid that if you knew as much as you seem to think you do, you might actually know something. But you keep quoting nonsensical things, changing arguments, etc.

Go ahead and brew that zoigl. I assume it will be something like this. Because if it's not, you're just another guy making beer at home.

JSL and benjaminahudson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.