Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Schlafly Pumpkin

Discussion in 'South' started by GameFreac, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I know it's not out yet but any Tennessee BAs that travel down to the Atlanta area frequently, PM me. I graduated and moved but I NEED this beer.

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

This beer is out in Tennessee.... at least it is in my neck of the woods. Already burning through it...

3. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Yeah I heard. Trying to get someone to get me some before it's gone.

4. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

They produced a ton of it.

5. antzman

antzman Feb 14, 2005 Indiana

It was released in Indiana this week as well. I'm holding off on releasing mine for a couple weeks to try and get closer to fall before it gets on the floor and in the cooler.

6. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Does Blackstone still contract brew for Schlafly? Seems like it should be easy to find in Nashville if that is still happening.

7. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Yeah but I'm in Cartersville, GA now. Might have a friend getting me some but it's not 100% yet.

8. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Going for $10 a sixer in Mizzou, I recall being about $2 a sixer 2 years ago, grumble, grumble

9. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

First beer store in Lex, KY went through about 8 cases in one day, already half of what they got. It's flying off the shelves this year.

10. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Anyone know of any stores that might have it in Chattanooga?

Didn't even think of that.

11. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Mar 17, 2008 Kentucky

Has anyone cellared this beer. Just wonder what aging does to it.

12. bcostner1

bcostner1 Sep 8, 2010 Tennessee

Not nearly as good as fresh. I saved one for a year once and didn't finish it when I drank it. Don't do it.

13. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Heard Chattanooga got it...gonna be making the drive tomorrow. Yessss.

14. jbrana

jbrana Mar 7, 2012 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Just opened one the other day that I saved from last year and it soured. It wasn't necessarily bad, but not really what I was hoping for... Kind of tasted like cherry candy canes. I have 13 bottles, so if anyone is interested in trying a sour Schlafly Pumpkin, send me a pm.

15. Tilley4

Tilley4 Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I actually like this beer with a few months on it... it seems to mellow the booziness down a touch... not sure I would sit on them for years but with 6-8 months, I personally enjoy them

russpowell likes this.
  16. russpowell

Beer Trader

Had a fresh one a few days ago, tasty as hell this year.

Mississipping likes this.
  17. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Yeah I got 3 six packs this year and there's almost no booziness at all. Last year there was a little but it's toned down this time.

18. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Just an FYI: MidTown in Nashville still has Schlafly Pumpkin (and going fast). They also have Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale, which is really solid.

19. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

This beer was my last hope for pumpkin beer , I tried about 3 different kinds that were all drain pours , I was hoping this was going to be the one that did it for me , I drain poured it as well , just couldn't stomach it

20. Play_it_Leo

Play_it_Leo Jul 30, 2013 Colorado

Yeah, I'd say if you can't handle Schlafly's pumpkin then the style simply isn't for you.

21. russpowell

Beer Trader

Pumpkin Stout/Porter would be the last/great hope, but I'm sure many would consider that, not a Pumpkin beer....

22. Mississipping

Mississipping Mar 16, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I completely disagree. I LOVE pumpkin beers, but Schlafly's pumpkin beer is EXTREMELY spice-forward. I don't know what else ubenumber2 has tried, but I can see how Schlafly's could be difficult to stomach. It certainly doesn't define the beer style ... really it exaggerates it. While I really enjoy Schlafly's pumpkin beer, there are much, much better examples of the style. They aren't available in our area, but they are out there, and they are worth seeking out.

Ubenumber2, what have you tried?

23. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Tommy Knocker Pumpkin Alk , New Belgium Pumpkick and Southern Tier Pumking. I couldn't finish one of em

24. Mississipping

Mississipping Mar 16, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately, those aren't the "pick of the litter," in terms of pumpkin beers, so I wouldn't write them off completely yet. If you have a chance to track down Good Gourd, The Great Pumpkin, La Parcela, or TREAT (in no particular order, necessarily), they are fantastic, trade-worthy beers. La Parcela is a little different than your typical pumpkin beer, and TREAT is a pumpkin porter, which is amazing!

If you didn't like Pumpking, though, maybe (as russpowell said) the style isn't for you. Pumpking typically isn't too spice-forward and has a nice pumpkin roll and pie crust taste. It's not a bad example of the style that is typically enjoyed by most. Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe