1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Schlenkerla Fastenbier (in cans!!)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by guinness77, Feb 21, 2019.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,048) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Ummm, excited would be an understatement.

Premo88, TheGent, bret717 and 12 others like this.
  2. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (494) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

what is a fastenbier?

3. guinness77

2nd picture (label on the back of the can) in the IG post explains it all. It’s a stunning beer, my favorite they make. Which is saying something.

Witherby, zid and AlcahueteJ like this.
  4. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (494) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

nice that does sound delightful. I will have to grab some to appease my long passed catholic grandmother. She will be pleased with my devotion im sure

Premo88 and guinness77 like this.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,404) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

It goes on at the start of Lent IIRC.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,854) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

For those interested in reading more about Fastenbier I discussed it in a past New Beer Sunday thread (see link below). A snippet from that post:

Overall:

In my opinion all of the flavors and qualities of this beer work so well together in this beer. In music terms this is a masterful symphony!!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-526.271134/#post-3442852

Cheers!

P.S. Hopefully these cans will be just as good as the bottles of the past.

7. tmalt

tmalt Initiate (76) Dec 17, 2015 Florida

Searching now! Not available yet. Hope it arrives soon or will have to buy Korbinian.

#7 tmalt, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  8. zid

zid Savant (969) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Seems like they've renamed this beer too... at least depending on if you're looking at the front vs the back of the can. I guess B. United feels like it's worth the confusion.

TongoRad likes this.
  9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,548) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You've seen the cans?

steveh likes this.
  10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,158) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

From @guinness77 above:
    "2nd picture (label on the back of the can) in the IG post explains it all."

Working my brain hard to decipher IG post... :wink: Instagram? But I didn't see the Fastenbier cans on their IG (!) page.*

*D'oh! Found it, hit the little carrot arrow on the right side of the glass image, voila! I is a social media nerd. :grin:

11. steveh

Premo88 likes this.
  12. TongoRad

Society Trader

Okay, got it now, thanks. I initially just looked at their instagram page and didn't see anything.

steveh likes this.
  13. steveh

Jus' like me. As I always say to my wife, "We're old." :wink:

BTW -- the scroll-thru arrows even work on the link directly in the post above. Modern miracles. :grin:

zid and TongoRad like this.
  14. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,008) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I'll always be partial to the Helles, but Fastenbier is my favorite of their rauchbiers. There is a store by me that still has bottles on the shelf... from 2016. No thanks. Can't wait for fresh cans!

AlcahueteJ, Premo88 and guinness77 like this.
  15. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (111) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Fastenbier just started popping up around NYC. Release the hounds....

AlcahueteJ and Premo88 like this.
  16. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (484) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Damn, I’m almost two weeks behind! Just put in my order, hopefully BU didn’t ship it all out.

17. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (101) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

And back when it was released in bottles or in past years when it was available in kegs it was in summer, way past Lent and months older than I wished it were. I didn't ever track down the Kraeusen but I sure as hell am gonna track down the Fastenbier while it is fresh.

Premo88 likes this.
  18. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (484) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

What a beautiful beer! Haven’t had it since the inaugural bottle release a few years ago. Moderate smoke; toasty, delectable malt. Balanced bitterness and dryness. Tried to savor but two cans went down way too fast. Delicious!

19. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (138) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Wow, just got this beer in NE Ohio. It’s no wonder why it’s a beer for fasting. Definitely hearty in flavor but still so drinkable. A bit hoppy, too. What a stellar combination of lovely flavors! I’m definitely coming back for more.

20. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,519) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Reviewed this one today on NBS. Yesterday was the first time I have seen this beer in the wild. It's labeled as Lentbeer instead of Fastenbier and the ABV is higher at 5.9%. Very good rauchbier and worth seeking out IMO. Shocked to see it on the shelves here in southern Indiana with a 2/27/19 can date.

21. guinness77

[​IMG]
    This smells so damned good. Smoky, baked beans, charcoal, campfire...everything I love about this brewery and this style of beer.
    Holy shit, wow. Bready caramel malt upfront that finishes off with that liquid campfire smoke. What a beer!

Cross post from What Beer Are You Drinking Now. This is just as good as I remembered. This is a top 5 beer, ever, for me. I overpaid for a 4-pack (those Manhattan prices though) and I absolutely do not care.

jkblr, Jacobier10, OldLady and 9 others like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,854) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Would you mind sharing with us what you paid? Is it really a "Manhattan" thing vs. a B. United issue?

Cheers!

23. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (906) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

And you didn't even have to wait in line!

steveh likes this.
  24. guinness77

They were selling $6 a can at a shop in the Chelsea section of Manhattan and a buddy picked me up 4 and asked me for $25. I’m sure if I bought a pre-made 4-pack it would probably be cheaper and there’s no slam dunk this will make it to Long Island. The Krausen didn’t.

Haha, it was actually brought to me. Can’t beat that!

AlcahueteJ, JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  25. TongoRad

Society Trader

The Krausen 4-packs I can get are $16, but this store might not want to carry both at the same time and still have a few Krausens left in the fridge. I guess I'll see in a week or so.

JackHorzempa and guinness77 like this.
  26. guinness77

Good luck my friend. The store is Milk and Hops, but I’m assuming you already guessed that, haha

TongoRad likes this.
  27. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (463) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Where at? I never saw the Kräusen cans anywhere, assuming we wouldn't get this one either. I did find the Urbock though this past weekend and picked up a few bottles. I look forward to picking this up though! Appreciate it ahead of time...

28. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (138) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

The Wine Spot got a case in. It’s moving pretty slowly from what I’ve seen.

invertalon likes this.
  29. jcos

jcos Aspirant (203) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I love the Aecht cans!

30. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,987) Oct 14, 2009 Texas

I wish I could find these out here (SF) and on the regular.

31. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (143) Feb 13, 2018 New York

just saw this on Beermenus. 22 dollars a 4 pack. I will bite.

TongoRad likes this.