Release Schlenkerla Krausen released in the US

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by herrburgess, Nov 8, 2018.

1. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,075) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,292) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Excellent, I've never had that one.

ONovoMexicano and herrburgess like this.
  3. Jason_in_Bamberg

Jason_in_Bamberg Initiate (29) Aug 20, 2018 Germany

It’s not really a ‘that one’ as much as a blend of 3 beers. Being able to drink the maerzen everyday from the wood helps, but a blend of 3 perfectly great beers doesn’t interest me. The good stuff stays here :wink:

4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,243) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

That's my favorite offering from them, so this is great news. My local pub is tight with B. United, so that doesn't hurt.

tzieser, TongoRad and FBarber like this.
  5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,292) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I was wondering about that, this is really a new beer isn't it, which would explain why I've never had it. But it's the Krausen that I've never had that I was thinking of. Is that available at Schlenkerla often? I don't recall it being on tap while I was there.

6. zid

zid Champion (899) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Thanks so much @herrburgess for creating this thread! @TongoRad @NeroFiddled

From the brewer's website:

In the world of German brewing, Kräusen refers to the intense proliferation of bubbles and foam formed during fermentation of a young or “green” beer. And Aufkräusen (literally to kräusen it up), refers to a historic brewing technique in which some green beer is added to a fully-matured lager. This is a very old and very typically German tradition, and today even English-speaking brewers refer to this technique as krausening. Krausening brings the vibrant freshness of young beer to the more refined, austere flavors of a fully-matured lager.

Aecht Schlenkerla Kräusen starts out as normal Helles Schlenkerla Lager and matures for months in the old rock cellars underneath the brewery. Just before filling it is blended using the before mentioned "Kräusen" technique with classic Märzen Rauchbier. The result is an unfiltered, bottom fermented and amber color Märzen Lager hybrid with a vibrant and slightly smoky flavor .

Data:
    Original gravity: 11.5%
    Alcohol: 4.5%
    Bitterness: 30

Served:
    In the summertime at Schlenkerla brewery tavern from the wooden barrel. From the bottle in our Online Shop and at select importers and shops world wide.

7. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (123) Feb 13, 2018 New York

boing-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g!

8. tzieser

tzieser Savant (978) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I love B. United. Not just the excellent canned Schlenkerla Helles we've been getting but their awesome selection of cellared beers and also canning Tipopils. They do an amazing job!

I read that as "boringggggg" initially and was preparing my GTFO-esque reply. Glad I double checked that :grin:

9. herrburgess

Industry

It's their summer seasonal. Been around for at least 5 years...probably more based on how I judge the passage of time these days.

10. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (87) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's the Helles kräusened with the Märzen, so just two beers and is actually a beer that they serve this way in Bamberg. These are tanks that are filled fresh, shipped straight over and then canned right away so that they are far fresher than most German beer we can get here. Maybe not exciting to you, but very exciting to some of us here in the US!!

hopsputin, Jaycase, bret717 and 6 others like this.
  11. rgordon

rgordon Champion (852) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I think @Ahonky is eager!

Ahonky and tzieser like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,172) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I hope that they consider Wyoming as part of the US. :wink:

13. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,821) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Oooooh. Definitely buying some of this. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

herrburgess and TongoRad like this.
  14. ONovoMexicano

NJ people, what’s your go-to for B. United goodies?

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,480) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I've only seen them in NYC, myself (Milk and Hops, usually). Sadly, too, I'll be working in Staten Island for the time being, which makes it tough to make any sort of detour to grab some cans. I'm seriously considering pestering the Cable guys into ordering some of these :slight_smile:.

16. tzieser

Trader

Schlenkerla Helles, for me. I’d say Tipopils but I have yet to see it in South Jersey.

I’ve also bought a couple of vintage bottles (2001) of JW Lee’s Harvest Ale but have yet to try them. I’ve also had Buttenheim Kellerbier but it wasn’t quite my thing for some reason (just a bit too “funky” for my tastes in kellerbier)

In all honestly you can’t go wrong with anything they distribute. Probably one of, if not the best purveyors of imported beer at the moment IMO.

Witherby, TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
  17. TongoRad

Premium Trader

For shits and giggles I just checked Beermenus for the Helles cans, and they're at WF Paramus! That would mean that these can't be very far behind.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  18. ONovoMexicano

Sorry, I was asking what store is people’s go-to. Love the beers you mentioned.

@TongoRad WF Paramus is where I go for B United stuff but I haven’t been in some time because it is out of the way. I spend too much time in NYC traffic to want to hit traffic to and from Paramus.

tzieser and TongoRad like this.
  19. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Yeah, it's a 'go to if I have to' kind of place for me, too- even when I was commuting over the bridge and could just stay on Rt. 4. But this is the kind of stuff I'll go out of my way for :wink:.

Fwiw, over the summer I was getting incredibly fresh-tasting bottles of Urbock at Total Wine nearby. I'd still pick those up in a heartbeat if I was in the area.

guinness77 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  20. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,239) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

So much for "not buying anymore beer anytime soon"

If I see it I will buy it

21. rgordon

rgordon Champion (852) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I used to sell the B-United portfolio. Schneider and Einbecker stood out for my drinking. But Aecht Schlenkerla was what taught me that German beer was not a monolithic entity.

22. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,918) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

I've only seen the Schlenkerla Helles cans and it was in two places: Liquor Outlet in Boonton and Decicco & Sons in Armonk NY. Liquor Outlet got one order of the Helles over the summer and it was the April 2018 canning. Those same cans are still on the shelf. I bought them a couple of times, the last being around July and it was still tasting great. Seven months later it's possible they still might be good but at $13+ for a 4-pack I'm not rolling the dice to find out.

23. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (63) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

I’ll be on the lookout for this.

24. tzieser

Trader

My mistake! Well I’m like 10 minutes from Philly so this might not be very helpful for you:

Roger Wilco in Pennsauken
    Joe Canal’s in Marlton

Cheers

25. Jason_in_Bamberg

So it's just the kräusen then? A little confusing that they called it a Helles-Märzen-Kräusen blend.

Yes it's served in the summer in Schlenkerla. To be honest it's not my favourite, it's quite brash and bitter for my taste. I've drunk the Helles quite a lot from draft and it's much better. The Fastenbier which they serve during Lent is very good. Hopefully that stays here - some things should remain a privilege and a challenge - drinking Schlenkerla in the brewery tavern is one of the world's most satisfying experiences.

26. rypkr

rypkr Champion (825) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Fastenbier is available in the states.

tzieser and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

B. United is not a distributor, they are an importer. In New Jersey their brands are distributed statewide by Hunterdon.

28. Jason_in_Bamberg

On draft? From wooden barrels? In a tavern that's over 500 years old? In one of the most beautiful cities in the world?

Some things remain sacred.

29. rypkr

rypkr Champion (825) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No I was just replying to your comment. Who pissed in your rauchbier this morning?

30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (828) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

What did you think of the canned Helles? Personally I wasn't a fan of it, too smoky compared to what I've had in bottles/draft.

I recall it was unfiltered in the can as opposed to filtered in the bottle/draft that we used to receive here. This has me wondering if the Krausen will also taste different than the bottled version (obviously we don't receive the bottled version).

It's lunch time over there. :wink:

Also, what's wrong with piss in your Rauchbier? How do you think they make the Krausen?

meefmoff, tzieser and ONovoMexicano like this.
  31. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,099) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

That's overrun with tourists? Who said that? :wink:

Sorry, just matching snark for snark -- I love Bamberg, but I enjoy all of the places I visit, even my local taverns -- especially the ones that bring in wooden casks now and again. :slight_smile:

32. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,243) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

I actually never got a chance to try it. Only one store in Denver got any and it might as well have been on the other side of the planet from me. I have friends that claimed it was good, but I don't know if they have the same reference points.

With this one, my local pub (the Bull & Bush in Glendale) is likely to get it. They get kegs from Mahr's, Uerige, Schneider, and Schlenkerla regularly so I know it will be served properly and it'll be fresh when it's on. It could be different and I'm sure freshness and the lack of atmosphere will play a role, but I'm still eager to try it. The B&B did a weekly Franconian gravity keg line-up 7-8 years ago that was as close to the real thing as I've had in the US.

33. tzieser

Trader

Thanks for the clarification. I inaccurately referred to them as a distributor of imported beer.

I’m curious about the distinction though; if they import the product and sell it to distributors around the country, isn’t that in and of itself a form of product distribution? I know “beer distributors” are the local guys with the trucks who actually deliver it to liquor stores but isn’t importing a product then selling it to other distributors a form of product distribution? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious.

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

It's a legal definition via the TTB, which licenses brewers, importers, wholesalers ( aka "[wholesale] distributors") and retailers.

Some importers DO also hold wholesale distributor licenses in certain states but, in the case of B. United in NJ, their wholesale distributor is Hunterdon.

And, that's my point, the concept that only a few NJ retailers get the beers in question and people have to drive long distances is crazy. Any retailer carrying Hunterdon brands like Stone, Dogfish Head, Lagunitas, etc., (so, most any liquor store frequented by BA's) can also order the Schlenkerla beers and other B. United brands.

35. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (544) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I drank the Krausen at Schlenkerla in Bamberg in September and it was good, but I liked the regular Helles better. I'll still grab some when I see it because it is good, unique for the US market, and I know it will be relatively fresh [for US distribution].

36. TongoRad

Premium Trader

That's a good point, but this one is also a pretty pricey case if you ordered it from a local shop.

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. herrburgess

Industry

Helles from draft? From the wood? When did they start doing that? Only ever saw in in the bottles

AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  38. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (123) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Anyone notice the Smoke from Oak brew on their website. That is a new one to me. On the look out. Would like to have some of that for the holidays

39. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,918) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

It's the Eiche Doppelbock. Been around for a few years now. Very enjoyable and a different kind of smoke character than their other offerings.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/54731/

40. TongoRad

Premium Trader

You're on Long Island, right? Total Wine would be a good place to check; they tend to carry the whole lineup.