SD to AZ to NM

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by SDPirate, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDPirate

SDPirate Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 California

Hey all,

I am planning a road trip from San Diego to Arizona and New Mexico starting this weekend and ending the following. I will be staying in Flagstaff a couple days, and the rest will be spent in New Mexico (mostly Albuquerque with about a day and a half in Santa Fe). Also stopping in Phoenix for one night on the way back. Curious about recommendations for breweries on such a trip. I definitely intend on stopping at La Cumbre while in Albuquerque and I want to hopefully revisit Arizona Wilderness on the way back (been there once) and maybe check out Wren House.

Any events going on during the next week worth checking out? Any cool sights to see along the way? Any restaurants or bars worth dropping by? I have already read the New Mexico guide thread a few times but I wanted to see if locals would like to chime in for an outsider since I have never been to the state. I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations you guys can give. Looking forward to my trip to these beautiful areas!

2. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Zealot (744) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Are you committed to taking any particular route? If you're heading from ABQ to PHX by way of Tucson, there are a few stops that may not be on your radar. In fact you wouldn't need to go through PHX at all, if you did this; I prefer I-8 over the 10 anyway.

@honkey is doing great things at Tombstone in (you guessed it) Tombstone, although I've yet to stop by the taproom. Couple of good breweries in Tucson as well, including Dragoon. You can find more suggestions in other threads, but just wanted to suggest an alternate route in case you were interested.

honkey likes this.
  3. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I believe La Cumbre is having a cask fest on Saturday (March 4) that should be fun. I am hoping to make that myself.

4. SDPirate

Tucson is too far for this trip by the way it was set up. I have hit up a lot of the breweries in that city around 2-3 years ago anyways. March 5 is the day I actually leave so a cask fest is no go (hopefully some casks will stay around? :stuck_out_tongue:). I will be taking the I-15 N to the I-40 and heading to Flagstaff on March 5 and then leave there on the 7th towards Santa Fe. I leave Santa Fe on the 8th and spend the rest of the time in ABQ with the night of the 11th being spent in Phoenix area and going home the next day.

5. GoffmanvsDuffman

GoffmanvsDuffman Crusader (460) Jul 15, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

I'd head to Wren House and search out some Tombstone brews while in the valley. Those are my two favorite in the state and they killed it at strong beer fest recently (IMO). Places like Kings Convenience or Gilbert Convenience Mart have Tombstone regularly, but you'll need a growler.
    I was just in Albuquerque last month and stopped by La Cumbre. Cool place.

Geuzedad and dpool like this.
  6. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Mother Road in Flagstaff is worth a visit for pizza and beer. There are several other breweries within walking distance but that is the standout.

7. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Mother Road has the best beer in Flagstaff, but I really enjoyed the food at Lumberyard. Especially the wings.

8. SDPirate

Liquor stores fill growlers in AZ? I did not know this. Only breweries can do that in CA. Any suggestions for Santa Fe? I know there is Santa Fe brewing and I had the coffee imperial stout called Java I think while I was in Vegas. I will try to seek out those Tombstone beers while in the area.

9. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Yep. So do some bars, grocery stores, gas stations/convenience stores, and of course breweries. We even have a few stores that exist specifically for growler fills.

Geuzedad likes this.
  10. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

Any idea what tickets will cost?

11. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

$25 available to only the first 200 people. I'm guessing its a sample fest, and I do know there is one pint of your choice with the initial cost. I saw a list earlier of about 8 breweries and about 12 different cask ales. Quite a variety

Stand out breweries in ABQ: The guide is still pretty spot on. La Cumbre, Marble finally has some solid variety back (their website lists what each location currently has), Boxing Bear, and Bosque are four I would visit.

Rustic Burger (in the green jeans facility where there is a Santa Fe Brewery taproom) has some really great burgers.

In Santa Fe, Second Street often gets overlooked. Classic examples of beers. I like them more than Santa Fe Brewing

denver10 likes this.
  12. SDPirate

I'll check out Second Street if it is really worth trying. That Green Jeans place looks pretty cool, definitely right up my alley! Is there anything in between these cities or places under the radar worth mentioning? I'll be leaving in about 48 hours now so I still have time to come up with a decent list. Appreciate the feedback.

13. wiingman

wiingman Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

@SDPirate - check out Rowley Farmhouse while in Santa Fe. Brand new brewery focusing on farmhouse stuff, but they have a few IPAs/stouts if that's more your style. Best food from any brewery I've been to in New Mexico. Their entire tap list is updated daily on untappd too if you want an idea of what they're pouring before you get there.

aaronyoung01 and SDPirate like this.
  14. SDPirate

Thanks for the recommendation. I love me some sours so I'll see if I can check it out. Literally just arrived in Flagstaff.

15. SDPirate

Flagstaff beer scene was pretty cool. I thought Tower Station IPA from Mother Road was the best I got to try while there. Santa Fe was a nice little city. Second Street was just okay, although the food was good. Hit up Rowley Farmhouse, got to try a sour and a IPA. Sour was alright, the Agent Scully IPA was fantastic. Now I am in ABQ. La Cumbre will go down for sure on Friday and I am about to head to Green Jeans tonight for food and grog. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Irrenarzt likes this.
  16. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Hit up Marble (downtown) if you have the time.

You can leave the hoppy pales to La Cumbre, IMO, but Marble's got some great offerings. Personally, their Pilsner, Red and Oatmeal Stout are all amongst my favorites of their style. And, as has been brought up, they have a nice selection of pilot beers available for variety now (this was not always the case)...one currently being a Helles Bock which I liked my pint of a lot. I did get a mini growler of it and it got a touch sweet for me by the end of those 32 ounces, but one pint at a time was very enjoyable.

wiingman likes this.
  17. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Never had La Cumbre's IPA, but have heard great things. Still I wouldn't pass up on Marble IPA. Above average IPA for sure.

18. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Marble's hoppy pales are solid but, imo, pale in comparison to La Cumbre's (and the best stuff ftom Bosque too, which aren't currently on tap ), so in a limited window I'd target those other styles at Marble that shine the brightest, personally.

Granted, if those aren't styles you care for...

#18 denver10, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  19. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2016 California

Marble's standard IPA is a solid West Coast version of the style. I agree that the oatmeal stout is excellent there too if you like classic to style. I really enjoyed Elevated IPA from La Cumbre the most from my visit though, that and their delicious Project Dank IPA.

If you are into cider I really enjoyed the one at Boxing Bear, dry and mildly sweet. Their IPA was good too but less on the aroma forward style and more balanced and mildly bitter. They also had a solid milk stout. It is a bit of a drive to get there though.

My husband prefers more sweet stouts and so I'm glad we got some of the La Cumbre cafe con leche in a bottle to bring home with us. That was excellent. I haven't checked with my friends to see if they enjoyed the barrel aged saison I brought back from the same trip.

20. SDPirate

Marble Downtown will probably go down tonight since that is pretty close to the hotel. I don't think Bosque or Boxing Bear will go down, although I did grab a 6 pack of the Bosque IPA. Thought it was solid, but nothing special. Checking out Sandia Peak today via the tram was very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.