Site Search feature

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by SaCkErZ9, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,125) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I have noticed something that has been annoying me lately: it seems as if it is impossible to search for a beer or place while reading a thread in a forum. As far as I can tell, one must exit the thread and return to the homepage or the beer search page. Am I missing something? It would be nice if, while people are discussing a beer in a forum, I could type the beer in the search box and get results, without having to go back or change the page.

2. TdLJg

TdLJg Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 Connecticut

Right click on the "Beers" tab and open in a new window.

kemoarps likes this.
  3. SaCkErZ9

Beer Trader

As my post mentioned, is there a way to do this without opening a new tab/window or re-navigating?

4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (2,758) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

No; what TdLJg suggested is the way to go.

5. SaCkErZ9

Beer Trader

iPhones and iPads don't have a right click. I guess the answer to my question is "you can't do that". I would think it quite logical to be able to type a beer in the search box and find it, no matter if i am in forums or places or wherever. Perhaps a choice (like at the home page)?

6. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,280) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Tap and hold.

7. Bonis

Bonis Defender (623) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

That's why they have those commercials telling you that iphones suck.

I fucking love first world problems.. Give me a break.

kemoarps likes this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Defender (696) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I something upsetting you?

9. SaCkErZ9

Beer Trader

That was very helpful. Thank you.

You do realize you are using some sort of computerized device made available to you in this "First World". This whole site is dedicated to first world problems. Why so hostile? You could have hit "next" instead of "reply" if first world issues are uncomfortable for you.

10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,344) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

It's been this way since Feb 2012. When you're in the forum it pulls up the forum search, and when you're on the rest of the site the standard BA search is displayed. The reason being is that two separate sites that were integrated, and there's some limitations as to what we can do.

We attempted to change how the search works recently, but ultimately heavy forum users wanted it this way so we changed it back.

The site redesign will address many of the search issues people have, by making searching consistent and easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe