Searcher? Ticker? Who are you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jun 12, 2017.

1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,161) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

It is always fun and funny to notice we BA's fall into two groups, those who desire to try every beer on the planet, those who desire to try the best beers on the planet. Let's call these groups tickers and searchers.

These aren't mutually exclusive, in fact ticking beers might just be a way of getting to try enough beers that you're sure about the one(s) you think is/are best. At its purest form a ticker will try a beer once, tick it on the list, move on and never desire to taste it again. At its purest form a searcher eventually will find find ones he loves and stop looking for better.

Most of us are a combination of these traits. My questions are
    -what combination of searcher and ticker do you think you are?
    -how has it changed over the years?

I am about 10% ticker, 90% searcher. I have become much more searcher over the years, but I don't think I ever was more than 30% ticker. All comments welcome.

2. JakeScully

JakeScully Defender (602) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Supporter Beer Trader

I am equally a ticker and a searcher because while some beers have been very special, Prairie artisan Ale to name it, at over 12€ I could only afford it once.

I am still looking for new beers, world-class or great, or 'whalez'. If you want a percentage, fifty fifty. Price does matter a lot. Availability too but these go together.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,419) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I would say I'm 80% ticker, 20% searcher. I will trade for specific items, but usually I trade local for local. I'll pick up limited series stuff when I can find it, or when a shop holds one for me, but I don't chase trucks around the city to get it. In fact, just this weekend I was holding a very rare Missouri stout, and put it back. I hope I don't regret that, but for the first time, I sat a limited searcher-worthy beer back due to price and other options. I do have a bottle of that in my cellar, so the ticker in me was satisfied with that. At this point, there is soooooooo much good beer out there, I'd be wasting my beer drinking time if I spent it chasing something else.

Perhaps in a few years, that searcher percentage will go up when I've tried more, but at this point, I don't see much value in dumping money and time into finding a particular beer. For me at least.

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The best beers are the ones that you want to have again and again. And do, as often as possible. Trying new beers is a means to an end in that respect, not the end in and of itself.

As distribution and new brewers increase, though, my time does seem more slanted towards stumbleupons lately.

5. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,283) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm the sort of person that's either in or out, drink deep or taste not the beerian spring. I'm also like the traveler who always wants to see what's over the next hill. I've found some beers that I like a lot yet I'm always on the lookout for others that I will also like or maybe even like more. Hope springs eternal that I will discover the one true holy grail of brews but I know if I did I would still keep looking.

Don't know how to categorize that sort of behavior. Never kept a list or anything but was doing things this way for 50 years before I ever heard the term 'ticker'.

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,339) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I want to try all the best beer on the planet. Part of me is a ticker. I take notes on almost every beer. I try a lot of beer. Searcher mostly. I want to see not just one beer from a brewer, or one style. I am constantly looking to compare brewers across styles too.

7. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Disciple (394) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

When I was first getting into craft beer I was definitely 100% a ticker. After finding out what styles I liked, I started searching for the best beers within that style, about 50/50 of each. Now, I'm 100% a searcher, I just want high quality beer and don't care nearly as much about the unique tick

cavedave likes this.
  8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm a searcher but don't put a lot of effort into the search.

9. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,215) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I'm probably 50/50. I definitely like seeking out the "next big thing" in each style. At the same time, I enjoy having a core of beers that I can keep in my fridge, regardless of style, and never feel like I'm missing something.

10. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,198) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

I think I am almost all searcher. Probably 90/10 Searcher to ticker.

I do search for a lot of new brews, but I never buy anything just to tick. I like to trade for new brews that interest me, but I target specific brews, not just brews I have not had.

All the random ticks I have are from open trades or were sent as trade extras. I rarely buy beer at a beer store anymore. More because there aren't any that close to me (within 30-40 minutes).

If I lived in a more urban environment or really close to a brewery I would probably tick more.

I do try and tick all the releases from Hill Farmstead and River Roost, but most of theirs I could end up searching for at some point anyways.

cjgiant and cavedave like this.
  11. cavedave

Beer Trader

Love it, referenced Pierian Spring with a well sprung pun, and the Holy Grail, all in one post.

TheDoctor, zid and Squire123 like this.
  12. LeRose

LeRose Savant (960) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I asked Bobby Dylan
    I asked The Beatles
    I asked Timothy Leary
    But he couldn't help me either...

I am mostly a searcher - maybe an 80/20 split I'd guess. I tend to try a lot of beers, then purchase a bunch of what I enjoy the most. You never know what beer will just light up the old taste buds, but I don't think of myself as a ticker. I take notes on everything I taste and generally post reviews, which I think keeps me from being a true ticker who's playing Pokemon. Not trying a beer just to add to the count, in other words, but looking for the new "gems". If you don't try new stuff how do you know? We had a family dinner last night at a restaurant featuring Peruvian and Bolivian cuisine - a place we have driven by and said "what a dump', but the food, decor, and staff were outstanding.

The downside is this leads to stockpiling. i rarely drink more than one beer a day (trips to Wisconsin seem to be the exception) and I go through long dry spells, but I can't resist picking up beers I have heard a lot about. And there's the tendency to do the "SQUIRREL" thing when beer shopping, aided and abetted by the missus. I do try to keep the hoppy stuff from becoming dust bunny covered relics, but I reckon there must be a few in the inventory. The good news is my palate never gets worn out on anything in particular.

When I first joined up here, I was a little more in the gotta try 'em all mode until I realized the impossibility of that approach. A lot of those early beers I didn't even score - it took me a while to build up to reviewing and by then I had already changed my habits. My personality is more methodical (if that's the way to put it) and my current approach of open-minded trying of the new balanced by maintaining the favorites suits that better. I actually enjoy the note-taking and taking the time to figure out what's what with a beer, then posting at least a thoughtful review.

I've also slowed down some most recently because I have found many beers to be quite similar to virtually identical. Also finding that many are just a variant on a theme (flavor of the day sort of thing) and that often times the original is the better. Added to that I have experienced a certain level of disappointment in the crap shoot that seems to be the new brewery game. Yes - I have found some diamonds, but there seems to be a lot more coal.

Kind of a long-winded way of saying what @TongoRad said above...

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,780) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I shall place myself within the category of beer appreciator. I have no idea whether this is a specific mix of searcher and ticker.:confused:

Cheers!

14. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,949) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I occasionally look locally to see if I can find a particular beer but most often when I'm not looking I stumble on something (much as described by @TongoRad ). Now that we actually have them in PA, I often visit shops with lots of beers just to see to see what they have that might qualify to be a candidate for my regular rotation, but normally I'm in such places for some other reason (e.g., freshly chopped salsa with no vinegar and a short shelf life) and make a point of also checking out what's new that might seem worth trying. I often repeat the beers I've enjoyed before, sometimes even buying them a case at a time, sometimes to enjoy while fresh, sometimes track how they change with age.

But I also try to keep a running record of what I bought and what I've enjoyed to guide further purchases since what I hate most is to see a beer I think I might enjoy and then, after buying it, to realize I already tried it before and there was a reason it didn't make my list of "try again." (But then I'm a cheap sort of guy without a huge budget to waste on repeating the duds, so record keeping and reviewing may be a bit more work, but it saves me money. :))

So in this context, I'd describe myself as a "Jack of all trades, Master of none."

#14 drtth, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    jgido759, beertrip, LeRose and 3 others like this.
  15. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (124) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

How about none of the above? Drink fresh, drink local. I don't even keep track anymore.

Junior, redrocker and cavedave like this.
  16. cavedave

Beer Trader

You don't look for beers you haven't tried. You don't look for beers that are better than those you have already tried. Totally can see this as none of the above.

cjgiant and Squire123 like this.
  17. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (151) Apr 23, 2017 New York

If I follow the premise correctly I guess I'm a searcher. I try to find beers I like at a reasonable price point.

VABA, Squire123 and cavedave like this.
  18. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,512) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

If the only ticking I do is what's on the Beers of Fame list does that just make me a searcher? :)

19. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (144) Nov 12, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I think everyone has been a "ticker" to some degree. When we first got into this hobby we had to try different things to find out what we liked and didn't like.

My first year in the hobby, I was a ticker for sure. I got a new mix-six every week, probably tried almost 300 beers in my first year (living in Michigan at the time spoiled me.) But you better believe if I found a beer that really stuck out to me, I'd buy a sixer of that one. Eventually I got to the point where I tried most of the year-round beers in my area and started just buying my favorites, with the occasional mix-six for new releases.

But if I go to a local brewery that has a weekly small batch or I am out of town and see a new beer I've never heard of on the menu, I'm going to try those out. So I guess I'm a ticker more so at breweries/bars than I am when purchasing bottles.

20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,606) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Good question - a real opportunity for self reflection.

I think that in a vacuum, I care far more about trying the best beers rather than every beer. That being said, to fully appreciate the best beers, its helpful to have tried a wide base of beers upon which to provide a foundation for appreciating the best representations of any given style. I also really enjoy trying new beers, especially if they are in a style I tend to enjoy. For instance, this past May, I drank through as many maibocks as I could get my hands on (completely inspired by the tasting thread and because it was a style I knew nothing about.) It wasn't inspired as much by a need to tick a bunch of maibocks, but rather to appreciate the style. In the future, I wouldn't care to revisit more than one or two examples of the style.

The searcher in me though does not in any way care about actively seeking "whales" through long lines or trades. Sure, I'll trade for a beer if the opportunity is right (although I mostly do local for local trades), I'll wait in the occasional line for a beer, but the vast majority of the quote unquote whales I've had I've either had shared with me by a friend or just happened to stumble across.

The inner "ticker" in me comes out most with local beers that do not have many or any reviews on here (a rating tells me or anyone nothing). I enjoy trying them, supporting a local brewery, and then putting my thoughts out there in the hops that they may be of some small assistance to people who search out that beer here on Beer Advocate.

In terms of my consumption, I'd say, right now, its 65% new beers and 35% beers I always go back to. That number used to be far more skewed towards new beers, but as I've tried more beers, its actually lessened my interest in always trying new beers and has resulted in me revisiting beers and/or styles that I find myself in the mood for. I suspect that it will continue to move closer to 50% - 50% in the future, but with the nature of the beer scene (especially in styles like IPAs and stouts) will always have a large number of new beers since so many breweries release one-offs and new beers.

tl:dr? I'm a mix of both and @TongoRad hit the nail on the head

#20 FBarber, Jun 12, 2017
    Harrison8, cjgiant, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  21. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (176) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I'd say 50/50. I have a handful of brews that are standbys, typically well priced, easily available, and lower abv that I've cherished for years. But when I travel, it's all about the ticking, want to try as much new stuff as possible.

Harrison8 and cavedave like this.
  22. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (209) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Absolutely 100% searcher. Not really striving to see how many I can try (don't even log most of my beers) just want to try as many great beers as possible. Still will try everything but don't make it a priority to get a big "number". I find that trying everything leads to drinking a lot of mediocre beer, but I guess that's how it goes.....Cheers

cavedave likes this.
  23. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (125) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I'm definitely a searcher, and "ticking" is just a nice side activity to keep track of the beers I have searched for. Sure, when I get the pleasure of trying a new beer, I tend to log it on untapped, but its all about the journey of finding new beers for me. At the same time, I always love the opportunity to enjoy a classic or favorite. I will sometimes opt for standbys over untried beers if its a case of limited funds, and the allure of the classic is stronger than the allure of one I have not tried before. I get my ticks, but its more about what's in the glass in front of me. I'd say that I am maybe 90% searcher, 10 percent ticker. This definitely proved to be the case this weekend when I found myself out of town and stopped in the closest store to see what was available. There were some beers I'd never had before, but nothing that jumped out at me, and I ended up just picking up some beer when I got home because I chose sure quality over some new options that were not wildly appealing. There were some new beers, but I was disappointed enough in the overall selection to just pick up some locally available favorites.

24. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,193) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I was 50/50. I'd drive up to an hour to find something.

Now, I'm just a beer drinker. I enjoy myself now that I've stopped ticking. I still love trying new beers but I know what I like and try not to stray too far because usually if it's novel, I tend to not like it enough to finish 6.

JakeScully, Samlover55 and cavedave like this.
  25. needs_more_dog

needs_more_dog Initiate (128) Sep 13, 2016 Arizona

i wanted to say I am mostly a searcher, but I thought about it and I realize I am more a ticker. it comes down to contentment. 'the best' is such a moving target, I don't think I could ever say 'this is the BEST beer ever and I am done with all others'. instead of constantly searching for 'the best', I've become happy with everything I have access to, and if I have a chance to tick a whale off the list without standing in line for hours then I will. otherwise, more than satisfied with the fresh local beers I can get less than 20 min away

although, when it comes to cellar and aging beer, I am all searcher. i'm looking for when a beer peaks to my tastes

26. Samlover55

Samlover55 Zealot (575) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I feel similar to this, i used to go crazy trying to find the latest hyped beers, and now its just about drinking. And yes I enjoy new beers, but I'm not out to get to a specific number or something like that.

Urk1127 and cavedave like this.
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

My journey has migrated from being a ticker from the bottle shop to a ticker at the local brewers. There are enough local brewers now releasing new beers each week, and I enjoy sampling them for the thrill to see if brewers improve, and if a great beer gets created locally.

Sort of wedged between this journey for a few years was a "trade/beercation/travel beers" period which would fall into the searcher definition, where I was seeking out best beers I could find from elsewhere not in my local distribution. I still always hit up my friends who travel or myself to look out for certain beers to bring back.

Now most of my bottle shop buys are for the tried and true beers to have on hand at home, with a little bit of ticking/searching. Most of my ticks now-adays are local samples on site at the breweries.
    I'd still say I tick more than I search. Less time and money to just tick from a brewery, craft bar or bottle shop. If I had a lifestyle that involved a lot more travel/more destinations, then I'd definitely lean more heavily to being a searcher.

#27 bubseymour, Jun 12, 2017
  28. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,364) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Right now I'm into all different styles and I'm still fairly new to it all, though I've gained some drinking experience along the way for sure. I'm a bit of a ticker because I want to try new things, but I'd rather only get things worth tasting/buying than every mediocre beer. I've been trying to raise the bar lately and have even thought about if I should keep trying new things or just stick with what I like the most. Sometimes I just want to drink a beer even if I know it's not going to be an awesome example of the style. I just like new experiences which every beer provides, though I also appreciate good quality. I'm a searcher in the sense that I look for good beers and breweries that I know of, but I don't go too far out of my way to get things that I could try hard for. I like to let the beers come to me, and get them when I see them and try them along the way. It is all a big wave of enjoyment through the craft beer experience. Not sure how to really divide it up, and I know over time I will be less ticker and more stand-by and searcher. I do like to have beers again, the problem is there is only so much time and drinking space to have so many brews. I find myself trying to share the duplicates at times. I buy beers that I've had before, but usually not much of them. They are just a chill drink. Right now I'm mostly ticker but as the years go on and I've had many beers and breweries then I'll probably become more of a "searcher". Right now probably 90% ticker. I tick to try new beers and breweries though, not just to say I had it. I enjoy the beers to the fullest. There's a lot of beers I've tried but didn't rate or tick because I felt I didn't get enough out of it to really rate it. I like to give all the beers a chance, and hold back on the ones I just don't find myself interested in trying.

JakeScully, cjgiant and cavedave like this.
  29. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (124) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Not a ticker, no check marks. Searcher? Of course I buy new stuff. But not as an ultimate goal of finding " The One" Not into trying every one, nor searching to find the best on the planet. No rating or trading, don't even look at ratings. With the exception of Rodenbach and Sierra Nevada, almost everything I buy is local, mostly New England or say 50 miles or so from Boston, Good VT stuff, sure. Buy fresh, buy local. Boston has world class beers, makes me happy. When I travel, usually around New England, I too buy fresh, buy local. Better? Meh. Better than what? No desire to trade, ship, hunt, barter for what ever brews in other parts of the country. Sure family meetups are great open cooler events. I already have THE best right here. Go to the store, see whats on the New England shelf, buy. So yes, seasonals from my local guys and gal brewers, new variations etc. I just don't have that much time or desire, its biking season. Look at it as bread or tomatoes from the farmers market. In season, local. All good,

LeRose, Harrison8 and cavedave like this.
  30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,419) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't say tickers are only in it to try it all. Some tickers surely are into craft to try it all, but not all. If you go out with the intent to buy a new beer, I would say you're at least somewhat of a ticker. Whether or not you maintain an extensive spreadsheet to track your beers or not, or you're seeking to justify why your favorite beer is your favorite are just separate levels of ticking.

Ticker seems to be thrown around like a bad word, or a scary stereotype label around here sometimes, but it's not bad, nor does it just mean someone keeps an extensive spreadsheet full of notes, ratings, dates, and reviews. It just means the user seeks out the new on a regular basis.

cavedave likes this.
  31. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Perhaps the 3rd category is "settled in". Meaning you've had your adventures in craft beer exploration whether it be ticking or searching, and now you primarily just stick with a portfolio of beers that you revisit periodically because you love them and don't spend much time going out of your way to try new stuff.

Urk1127, readyski, NYR-Zuuuuc and 3 others like this.
  32. bubseymour

Beer Trader

Ticking can be positive. Its beer exploration.

The negative stereotypical ticker are those people who are sampling beers as quickly as possibly trying to compete with friends or show off on social media how many beers they've had and/or show off the highly sought after beers they've had. In this regard, ticking isn't very "beer advocate" like.

utopiajane, Harrison8 and cavedave like this.
  33. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,007) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

If I were a venn diagram, i'd be in the center, leaning a little more toward ticker. Probably 75% ticker, 25% searcher. Over the years I have been a little dynamic in my movement. At first I was heavy on the ticker, then I discovered online beer ordering and moved a little bit more towards (but not overwhelming) searching. Now I've found a balance that I'm happy with; what I call informed ticking. I'd love to try anything, but if I see it has a lower score than won't waste my time. If it's a beer that hasn't been added here or doesn't have any reviews than you bet your ass I'm trying it ;)

34. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,283) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I see life as adventure and my beer journey will end the day before they write my obituary.

nodder, Ozzylizard, beertrip and 4 others like this.
  35. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (125) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I'd say that is a good place to be in--I'm just not there yet, although living where I do, my options to try new beers are often pretty limited. I'd save more money, and probably be better off if I was more settled, but the compulsion to seek out new beers/flavor experiences is still strong with me. I just don't get to indulge in that impulse as much as I'd like. Whenever I am out of town and find myself in an area with a great local craft scene/good distro, I am like a kid in a candy store, trying to snatch up as much untried beer as possible. There is a tendency to build a hoard when I am on vacation because I know what I am coming home to. Sometimes I do wish I was more settled (by choice). But the upside to it, is that I still have that excitement of the new when the opportunity presents itsself. Meanwhile, I am trying to cultivate more appreciation for the options I do have locally, but I always feel like I am missing out on a lot.

36. cavedave

Beer Trader

I have a friend who is an OCD collector. He gets joy in trying new things or collecting as many examples of things as he can. He has tried over 6,000 beers in under 4 years. When we plan beer excursions he already has figured out where the beer is that he hasn't tried, and that is all he cares about. When we get together he only is interested in beers he hasn't yet ticked. He is as happy to visit Magic Hat as Hill Farmstead if there are beers at MH he hasn't tried. He has a rule that he has to have 8 oz. of beer for it to be 'official.' His friends all try to provide him with new beers since that is what makes him happy, and since he is an excellent and generous friend who is a lot of fun to be with.

I have no problem with folks who are one way, or the other, or a combination. Just interesting to think about what I am, and what all the rest of you fine beer loving fanatics consider yourselves.. Excellent discussion so far.

37. ovaltine

ovaltine Meyvn (1,214) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Great topic. I'm more of a searcher - I won't have a mediocre beer just to tick it off if the place has something that is "world-class" (which varies from beer nerd to beer nerd), I'll have the better beer.

I will say, though, that there are some breweries I buy pretty much anything they brew because of the positive experiences I've had with their products - anything from SN or Stone, or the "Upper Midwest" breweries when I lived in Minnesota (Surly, Indeed, Fulton, Summit, Toppling Goliath, New Glarus) or the "Lower Midwest" breweries that I had easy access to through trades or trips or wide-ranging distro (Three Floyd's, Pipeworks, Half Acre, Revolution, Founders, Bells).

That math will add up to a LOT of ticking - and a lot of excellent beer, IMHO.

VABA and cavedave like this.
  38. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Initiate (148) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

Honestly I'd say neither.

I just like to drink good beer. Sometimes it will be a cheap case of a classic craft like SNPA or something similar. I will often spend too much at a craft beer store because there is so much i'd like to try.

I used to taste beers and recording and score them but I found it actually got in the way of my enjoyment. I try and get hard to get beers I like but I'm not crazy about it nor do I go completely out of my way.

I just like drinking good beer. Can't really say i'm either...

dirtyfab and utopiajane like this.
  39. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,161) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

<-------- Searcher, not a ticker.

40. LeRose

LeRose Savant (960) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I agree that ticking usually gets a bad rap, and to some extent we are all tickers depending on how you define ticking.

I know someone who joined that other rating app thing and within 2 months was at 700 beers chasin' the badges - that's some serious ticking and when I asked how she did it, it was "well, I only take a little sip of each one..." I suspected it, but to actually hear it was a little strange. That's the extreme "other side" of ticking, I guess. But to her, it was all about the badges and social aspect of "look at me I'm drinking this beer at this location". And now guess what - after two years she doesn't drink beer much anymore - Leinie's at summer cookouts. Hmmmm....

That seems more like "pure" ticking to me - tasting as opposed to drinking and "rating" on that initial impression versus doing a review. To each their own. I did it for a while when I was doing brewery tours/tastings, hence the 35 check marks out of my whopping 278 beers. Probably still will as I find a quick numerical scoring of a tasting sample reminds me whether I enjoyed the beer or not and I don't carry the laptop or sometimes even the cell phone around with me. I suppose I could delete the checkmarks...cost me some karma but so what? But holy crap - 700 beers in sixty-ish days? Man, do the math...that's not my bag, baby.

I do keep a spreadsheet - that's the "analytical" side of me and also because I am at least in the early stages of CRS Syndrome. But I actually enjoy the spreadsheet. Mostly I just copy my notes which become my reviews, or copy the review into the spreadsheet if I am reviewing in "real time" like NBS. For me it's fun, I can sort and filter any way I wanna, and easily find my favorites should I short circuit and forget.

Ozzylizard, sharpski, MFMB and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.