Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,083) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Anyone going this year? I have always passed because of complaints about how expensive it ends up being because the tickets dont go very far...thinking about going this year because there are a few beers in the lineup I would like to try...for those of you who have attended before - does it end up being a rip off if you want to try more than a few beers? do they take like 5 tickets for beers like BBomb and Parabola?

2. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Devotee (452) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

3. cherche

Trader

Thank you, very helpful! Not too excited about some of the beer costing 5 tickets...sort of absurd if you ask me...when will the Seattle/PDX beer events switch over to the model where they charge more to get in but have unlimited tastings? Lots of events in Cali and the Vegas beer events follow that model and I like it much more. I mean $25 gets you 2 tasters of BBomb??? You could get 4 12 oz pours of BBomb at the brewery for that price...smh.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Not sure about Washington's law, but the OLCC doesn't allow "unlimited tasting" type festivals. Also, many of the all you can drink festivals I see happening in California seem to cost $50+, which is way more than I spend at most of the local fests where you have to buy drink tickets.

sharpski and jason_nwx like this.
  5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

Agreed. Plus, I can't speak for cherche, but I've reached the age where I don't want to attend any "all you can consume" anything. I invariably try to make sure I get my money's worth, and that always leads to problems.

With respect to PIB/SIB, I went last year (to PIB), and it would be my recommendation to focus on beers you haven't tried before, that you might want to sample prior to buying a bottle or bottles of it. I intentionally avoided the boneyard and HUB booths (for example), as I'd had everything they were pouring before, and could get them much more cheaply around town in PDX or Eugene.

It's a fun event, but given the expense, crowds and difficulty finding parking, it's not something I need to do every year.

NWer and jason_nwx like this.
  6. maltmaster420

I don't know if they're offering it again this year, but last year their program mentioned free parking in the Lloyd Center ramp for attendees.

7. jason_nwx

This is exactly my plan. :slight_smile:

8. jason_nwx

And yes - free parking at Lloyd Center.

9. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (806) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Actually, I prefer all you can consume. Not because I consume an outrageous amount but because I can try things without fear and dump anything that I don't completely enjoy.

Marco_Gtz likes this.
  10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

You don't feel like you can do that at a pay as you go event?

I rarely drink an entire taster of beer that I'm served, as there typically are considerably more beers I want to drink than I can safely consume (and maintain my sobriety). In fact, I would say that I usually dump at least 75% of the beer that I purchase at a festival. Typically (although not always), I still end up paying less money then I would at a comparable "all you care to drink" event.

It sounds like you probably have better discipline than I do. What I find happens at all you can drink events, is that I have a difficult time "taking my last drink." I keep on finding one more thing to try, as after all, I've paid for it, so why not go ahead. That doesn't happen at pay as you go events, as having "just one more," means I need to shell out some extra money as well. That usually stops me. I usually don't want to spend an extra $4 or $5 for a taster of beer that I'm only marginally interested in. :-)

11. glkaiser

glkaiser Initiate (39) May 19, 2006 Washington

I always enjoy SIB. If you want to taste a lot, the "Big Deal" is worth it. $45 for 40 tickets. At ~$1 per ticket, 5 tickets for 4oz of Bbomb isn't "that" insane, if that's what you want to do w/ your tix. It's a bottle pour, and the tickets required for each beer are based on what the organizers paid for the beer.

You can always find some great deals on the draft beers there, and that's what I stick to.

Prufrockstar and cherche like this.
  12. itsThatBoyE

itsThatBoyE Aspirant (276) Feb 10, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I went last year. It was fun and got to try some good beers I wouldn't have had the chance otherwise.

The pamphlet is at Holy Mountain already in case you want to see the entire list, layout, ticket costs, etc.

cherche likes this.
  13. cherche

Trader

I have reached the age where i can go to an all you can drink event and still stay in control :slight_smile:

Like @TheBungyo said - i would prefer to be able to try just about everything and if i dont like it just dump it and move on to the next without thinking about wasting tickets or whatever...i mean if you go to SIB and get a few tasters that are 5 tickets each you could end up spending much more than the $50 or so that the Cali events cost...plus i am willing to pay more for not having the hassle of tickets and having to budget them...

TheBungyo likes this.
  14. TheBungyo

Let's say I go to a fest and they give me 10 tickets, 1 (4 oz) ticket per taste. It wouldn't be too odd for me to dump 5 tastes, so then that means I've spent the cost of the fest to get (usually around $35-40) to get around a pint of beer that's supposed to last me 4 hours? Doesn't make sense to me, and that's why these types of fests interest me very little.

beertunes and cherche like this.
  15. cherche

Trader

Couldnt agree more...And that is super wishful thinking that each taster you want only costs 1 ticket...most are 2 or more and some are 5 or even 7 tickets!

TheBungyo and beertunes like this.
  16. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,331) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

This event has always been on my "maybe someday" list, and every year something pops up that steers me away. And, i don't feel like I'm really missing out. Maybe next year.

17. maltmaster420

I thought about going, but I'm going to be seeking out bars with A/C for the next few days. Drinking high octane beer in the 100 degree sun isn't my idea of fun.

TheBungyo and beertunes like this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

Well, if you're going to be in Seattle that Sunday, we're getting together at Toronado. I suspect we'd let a Southerner in.

19. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Yeah, I don't think it's even debatable outside of costing more for the light drinkers. All you can drink festivals are far superior in being able to enjoy yourself, try a ton of things, and worry less. You still don't get drunk with tiny pours and lines everywhere.

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Everyone, of course, is entitled to their opinion. I personally don't agree with this thinking, and I try to avoid all you can consume events of any sort. However, for those who prefer them to pay by the drink events, all I can say is that I wish there were more such events for you in the NW.

The only reason I even bothered to respond to this latest post, was regarding the comment about not getting drunk at these type of events. After attending 3 GABF events and numerous ZAP events, I can say from actual experience that your statement is complete nonsense.

#20 John_M, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    rab53, sharpski and NWer like this.
  21. TheBungyo

Maybe @fsck just means he personally doesn't get drunk?

22. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,379) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

I certainly do not leave GABF or other such events feeling drunk - not sure the science behind that...

I hate the beer-ticket festivals that seem to plague the PNW, personally.

fsck likes this.
  23. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Right, everyone can have their opinion. I'm just telling you that yours is wrong. :wink:

But really, it would be nice if with all the festivals around here there would at least be some that gave us that choice.

24. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

Getting back on topic for a sec, my experience with the PIB is that they run out of the most interesting beers quickly, or they only tap them at specific times which are not announced ahead of time. Coupled with the large crowds and long lines, I am never successful in trying more than 25% of the beers I was interested in.

I haven't been going in the last few years; I can have a more enjoyable experience just drinking my own stash or going to Bailey's.

25. NWer

NWer Crusader (779) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I have a meeting to attend.

beertunes likes this.
  26. cherche

Trader

so...is anyone going? my group at work is going as a team building event so i will be there early on friday.

27. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,057) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'm out. This is one festival that's never interested me.

28. cherche

Trader

Fair enough...if it werent for the "team event" i would have probably skipped it as well...excited about a few of the beers but the lineup is missing a lot of breweries i would like to see and would expect to see at any NW event (Barley Browns, Boneyard, Breakside, Stone, Port/Lost Abbey, even Sierra Nevada...)

29. jason_nwx

I suppose technically it is "International" - more domestics than I'd expect, but I suspect that's to help encourage people to come?

I tried 25 at the Portland one, about half and half international/domestic. My wife, dog and I thoroughly enjoyed the two days we went.

30. Prufrockstar

Prufrockstar Initiate (84) Jan 15, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I've only been once, but had a great time. Would definitely go again. It's an excellent festival for hanging out with friends and trying beers you wouldn't normally choose. A few of the beers cost several tickets, but nothing seems absurdly out of line, considering the retail price of those beers. On the flip side, you can find some nice bargains (4 ticket pints of double jack, alesmith ipa, and grapefruit sculpin seem alright to me) and a few cool rarities (e.g., 2013 BA Jaywalker for 2 tix).

NWer likes this.
  31. cherche

Trader

Alright, i guess i will see none of you there :slight_smile:

32. beertunes

Trader

My friends Justin and Jason are going today. Say hi to them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.