Great Britain Selling beer in the UK

Discussion in 'Europe' started by defurdog26, Oct 22, 2013.

1. defurdog26

defurdog26 Jun 18, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and wondered if anyone can advise me on the best place to sell a crate of Trappist Westvleteren 12 beer please? (if this is possible).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

2. reprob8

reprob8 May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

3. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Surely an individual collector/drinker/buyer would secure a better price than a
    licensed establishment?
    I ask in all honesty :)

4. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

5. defurdog26

I had 28 bottles drank 4 and don't remember much of the night ha ha. Think I'm safer finding someone who can appreciate it. Its a really nice beer.

6. defurdog26

I don't think a bar or shop would buy it as it doesn't have labels on. Not sure if they could sell it on. Probably better going to a private buyer

7. CwrwAmByth

Independent beer shops would. Might help to know where you are though I reckon The Bottle Shop in Cardiff would probably take some if you're nearby.

8. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

Shops can get round the label issue by giving it away as an extra to folks who spend a bit of £££.

Friend of mine just sold 12 bottles to a shop in SF for $240. The owner there was going to give them away as perscribed above.

Or simply trade it for other beers ?

9. Hopbomber

Hopbomber Mar 4, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Some would its a classic and rarely seen on the shelf. I know a shop that sells it in UK I'm not going to reveal its location. It all depends on what you want for them if you're looking at £6 ish per bottle you'll sell them easy if you want £10 you'll struggle.

A bar could sell it on easy CBC wanted £25 each a while back La Morte Subite Altrichham wanted £12 people will buy it on reputation alone. I'd pay £10 for it all day long but not now as I'm going to Belgium on Monday. You could probably get £10 for the crate alone.

Shops often give them away with a bulk buy because the monks don't like it to be re-sold at profit the lack of label is not part of the issue.

10. Slam_Dunkels

Slam_Dunkels Aug 8, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

There are of course a number of legal issues here, especially when it comes to commercial outlets.

11. CwrwAmByth

Several shops sell it, or have done in recent years. I know beautiful beers in Suffolk have all the Westys in atm. 12 is going for £20 though.

Hopbomber likes this.
  12. Hopbomber

Indeed they do I worked at an offy in 2000 that stocked it, couldn't give it away. That was long before the ISO internet whalez bro craft explosion.
    Ended up buying them myself for 99p each the biggest beer bargain I've ever had I very doubt ill repeat that shame I was 18 at the time and didn't appreciate the complexity of the brew and now pay around 10 times that for one bottle.

St bernadus abt is just as good, but let's not go there eh.

13. CwrwAmByth

There must be something different I guess, I hated St Bernadus 12 and Rochefort 10 (like seriously, drainpour hate) whilst I really did like Westy 12.

14. Hopbomber

Dunno mate, love all three personally but I'm not gonna question your palate.

15. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

I'm not a fan of Rochefort 10 fresh, but put three or four years on it and it's a fucking cracker. After 10 years, I'd trade one of my kids for four bottles.

16. CwrwAmByth

that's very specific

17. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

I'm a very specific sort of bloke.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

LOL!

19. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Just give them away to beer friendly friends and acquaintances who are like minded, and will appreciate them. Trying to pass them on for profit doesn't sit well with spirit of Westveleteren, this site or this particular forum.

deeblo, jmw, jazzyjeff13 and 3 others like this.
  20. defurdog26

thanks everyone, no profit wanted here. i bought them from a friend who lives in westvleteren, but all money went to helpa young family with cancer, any money raised would go straight back to this family. thanks for all the advice

Zimbo likes this.
  21. CwrwAmByth

This the same dude who was trying to go to disneyland in June?

22. defurdog26

we got her to disneyland but unfortunately cancer took its toll. we raised a glass in stacys memory

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe