September 2018 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beersnake1, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,798) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Firestone 13 from 2009.

Pours jet black with no head. Nose is incredible. Bourbon, cherries, licorice, maple, grapes, sweet candy. Taste is phenomenal. Burnt malts, chocolate, tons of black licorice, a touch of soy sauce, and some really deep dark fruit notes. This is incredibly smooth for a 9-year old barrel-aged stout. This ages so much better than most BA stouts. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, and viscous. Overall, this is amazing. It's my oldest Anniversary Ale, but I have the rest up to now, so I will post those over time.

[​IMG]

2. liquorpig

liquorpig Zealot (579) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

[​IMG]
    2016 Alesmith Speedway Stout - Vietnamese Coffee
    Wasn't sure whether to sit on this or not. Didn't want to miss out on the coffee flavor. Poured into a couple of goblets. Some sediment poured down the drain. Nice rich dark color with light brown head. Coffee flavor still present. Very nice sipper at 12%. Booze is well hidden. Flavor hits all the nice notes of a barrel aged stout. Would definitely seek out again

argock, kemoarps, CaptainHate and 7 others like this.
  3. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2012 Old Guardian from Stone. First, I am very sad that this isn't being brewed anymore. This has been one of my favorite beers for a long time, and it's always fun to age these. This is now 6 years old, and it's phenomenal. Nose is full of hops, toffee, citrus, pine, candy, and a bit of leather. Taste is amazing - this is really a perfect age for me. A mixture of hop bitterness and sweet toffee/candy. Some tree sap, pine, citrus peel. The bitter aftertaste lingers for a while. My oldest of this beer in my cellar is a 2004, which I will crack soon.

[​IMG]

4. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (87) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

It's really a shame they stopped this and Double Bastard. Those were prime aging candidates. My hope is they'll bring them back in 6 packs like they sort of did with IRS.

5. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (392) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Was sad to see this one go too. Was even sadder when Brooklyn Monster Ale was d/c’d. Wish I still had bottles of old guardian left after reading your review

TheGent, Bitterbill and dbrauneis like this.
  6. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Mother of all Storms. Incredible aromas of caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Taste follows the nose nicely, with tons of caramel and bourbon. Malty sweetness, molasses, and dark fruit are also prominent. Overall, this has aged beautifully. At 5 years, this is doing great.

[​IMG]

7. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (191) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

This is one of my favorite beers. I've had it up to 4 years, but am not sure if longer is better on this, or how long to go. Was the five year better than fresher versions for you?

kemoarps likes this.
  8. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Me too. This beer is really fantastic to age. Better than fresh? I would say that it's quite different than fresh, and offers a different experience. Both are phenomenal. I have yet to open an aged bottle and a fresh bottle side-by-side, but that would be required before I can say which I like best. Sometimes the aging of beers is simply a consequence of having too many beers, so it's nice to know that this is NOT one that must be consumed immediately. When I see it, I grab as many as I can!

kemoarps and Superheatnsubcool like this.
  9. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (287) May 31, 2016 Washington

2016 Lagunitas High West-ified

Pours a very dark brown with a tan colored head that dissipates and leaves good lacing. Aromas of caramel, oak, winter spice, gingerbread. Taste follows the nose, with the addition of some black strap molasses and a tiny hint of pleasant oxidation, kind of reminiscent of Raisin Bran in the background. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a fleeting reminder of warmth on the finish from the abv.

Still drinking very nicely. I enjoyed it a bit better when fresher, as the wonderful barrel character was more present and it has never come off as “hot.” I’ll probably finish most of what I have left by New Years, and maybe save one bottle for Winter 2019. You know, for science.

BTW, if you want a good brunch beer cocktail, I like to mix some BBA or oatmeal stout with cold brew coffee, cream and sugar, a shot of bourbon and some cinnamon.

TheGent, argock, Bitterbill and 6 others like this.
  10. toolbrew

toolbrew Zealot (569) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

What are your ratios on said cocktail? You know, for science.

11. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (287) May 31, 2016 Washington

I’d generally say equal parts cold brew and stout. I started with the recipe below, and tweak it a little bit depending what ingredients I have on hand.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/dublin-iced-coffee

Raj, 7irondave, bl00 and 2 others like this.
  12. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,199) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

'Saturdays in the Cellar' why not. Breaking out a Big Bad Baptist from 2014 (Release #34. SLC #1996. IBIS printed below that. Not sure what they all mean, but, you know, for science and posterity). I haven't had this fresh since probably around that same time, but according to my written review here, my impression was dominated by coffee, with elements of bourbon and ash also mentioned by name. I expect that the coffee will not be the dominant note any longer.
    [​IMG]
    Pours oil black with a couple of soapy individual bubbles.. like a cup of coffee. Don't get nearly the coffee on the nose that I did fresh as it's more wood and ash at this point.
    Sipping at it the ash is still there, and there's still some acrid coffee to be found but not nearly as domineering as fresh, as expected. A fudgy chocolate takes over in middle third. Smoothe and too easy to drink.
    This is delicious.
    I do wonder if it would be even better with slightly less age, but I don't regret letting it sit for four years by any means.

It's not unpossible that this may find its way into a sampling of superetc's dublin coffee recipe listed above...

Beersnake1, TheGent, strohme2 and 6 others like this.
  13. AirBob

AirBob Defender (624) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

BCBBW - Sept. 17, 2013
    [​IMG]
    My last of the four pack.

Muddy brown body with red hues and tons of floaties. Barely any head which dissipates almost immediately after pouring. Scant lacing.

Aroma of tootsie roll, molasses, caramelized sugar, and raspberry perserves. Oxidation is minimal.

Starts a bit sweet. Red fruit perserves, brown sugar. Tootsie roll and caramels in the middle. Finish is burnt sugar and chocolate. Some Sherry underlying.

Minimal carbonation and very little heat.

14. not2quick

not2quick Initiate (130) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I recently had an older Vietnamese speedway (1-1.5yrs) I was pleasantly surprised how well the coffee held up.

Beer_Economicus and bl00 like this.
  15. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,774) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia

2013 Victory Old Horizontal Barleywine
    Best by Nov 22 2018 stamped on label — not the easiest to read
    Murky amber with minimal head
    Aroma has a bit of burnt caramel, alcohol heat, toffee, rum raisin, and dates and more oxidation character than I remember
    Flavor is a little thin and washed out in the malt dept with a little bit of astringency and mineral notes in the early palate and finish with sticky toffee and burnt caramel and light chocolate and tobacco notes in the finish as well. Medium bitterness.
    Feel is also a little thin with low carbonation.
    Not as good as other bottles of similar age I have had, seems like might have a bug or something given the thinness (although not very carbonated so may be wrong) and bland caramel notes compared to other previous bottles.

16. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (436) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2014(?) Anderson Valley Salted Caramel Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter

3.94/5 rDev +4.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I was given this by someone who moved across country and had to clear out her beer stocks. She's always been extremely generous and I've tried to reciprocate but, not that she cares, I'm in her debt. I don't know how old this is because I can't find any date on it; she texted me that she thinks it's 4-6 years old but that might be before it was available so if I screwed up the estimated date I was flying blind. Anyway it's a hot and humid night and I was looking for something somewhat refreshing and since this is 6% decided to crack this baby open.

Poured into a DFH tulip it had a nice light tan head over a dark mahogany body. The smell was understated with the barrel tones coming through. The taste has more porter oomph to it underneath the barrel taste along with some understated bourbon, caramel and vanilla, particularly when it warms up. Perhaps the aging has muted the sweetness that I was expecting because this is in no way overly sweet. With no overwhelming alcohol burn this was the choice on a hot evening I was hoping it would be. The mouthfeel compliments everything else.

17. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,774) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia

2012 Stone IRS
    Really enjoyable cellared beer.
    Black with minimal head.
    Licorice is strong in the aroma with plenty of roast and medium and dark raisiny caramel malts too.
    The licorice notes fade with warming to leave a roasty, lightly sweet medium caramel imperial stout. Hop notes are faded but bitterness is medium.
    Feel is exceptional with smooth silky feel and low carbonation on a full but drinkable body.
    Really stellar and sad that this is my last one. Time to replenish!

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,044) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

I'm so sad that finally, Stone is available in Wyoming and Stone Russian Imperial Stout has been retired. :slight_frown:

19. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Disciple (395) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

being my wifes favorite cellar beer, ive been buying every bottle i find.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,230) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

That sounds good to me. Do you like it?

21. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (377) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I recently had my first. It was a top 5 beer for me. My wife enjoyed it and she never enjoys BWs. My first thought was to determine how to obtain more.

FWIW.

TheGent likes this.
  22. AirBob

AirBob Defender (624) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

I
    prefer it on the fresher side, but yes - well worth the wait.

23. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2012 Expedition Stout from Bell's. I have been holding on to this for a while, and it has been cellared at an ideal temperature. Served at cellar temp (around 55 degrees). Pours a beautiful black with a good amount of tan head. Looks amazing. Nose is screaming black licorice and smoke. A slight sweetness lingers - a touch of maple and molasses. Also some cherries in there. Taste is incredibly smooth and muted in bitterness compared to fresh. I absolutely love it. Nice roasted malts, brown sugar, tobacco, black licorice, and dark fruit. Very pleasant, with a creamy and viscous mouthfeel. Overall, this is a perfect beer to age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CaptainHate, Dan411, JMN44 and 5 others like this.
  24. toolbrew

toolbrew Zealot (569) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

Great to hear! I started buying a sixer each year to cellar and drink a mini vert each year until I can do six at a time to see how they age. This year will be 18/17/16.

Beersnake1 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  25. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

Nice!