Serious Eats: "Which is the Best Beer City?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ONovoMexicano, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Serious eats is at it again with the craft beer talk and I'm seriously convinced they just cull BA threads for ideas on what to write about:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/...ortland-san-francisco-brussels.html?ref=title

I know there have been threads about this previously, so maybe it can just be rolled into something older, but I'll leave that to the moderators.

There are some good argument and it's difficult for me to say which is the best without having been to Brusells, San Diego, and Portland, but I certainly agree with Northern Colorado and NYC. I'd even suggest Albuquerque if only we had better bars (although newcomers in the gastropub area like Stumbling Steer, B2B and others are shaking things up).

2. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Since when is Northern California a city? Not even going to address ABQ.

3. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,051) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Portland </thread>

4. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Probably haven't been here then, or if you have, you didn't go anywhere worth going. Northern COLORADO was thrown in there rather than Denver or Boulder, I'm sure, to avoid having to pick one city of the multitude up there brewing good beers. Not a city, I agree, but I can see why someone would suggest it.

denver10 and SFACRKnight like this.
  5. digita7693

digita7693 Devotee (404) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Trader

This.
    Brussels is great for visiting a couple of things, but best beer city? No way.
    I do not think any other city combines the accessibility, availability and diversity of craft beer that PDX does.

Peter_Wolfe and tylerstravis like this.
  6. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Lived in NM for several years, so yeah, been there, still visit. ABQ does not qualify, no matter what the paremeters are.

My bad on the CO, misread that as CA. But the principal is the same. Why not lump Boston/NYC?

Anyway, pretty sure this is a repeat article. Without parameters it's an impossible to debate point. What's more important? Number of breweries, top breweries, or best distro? That's a better question.

7. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (248) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Any article like this that doesn't include Asheville, NC and the surrounding area in the discussion is off base. Um, in my opinion. Oh and Asheville > Portland. :wink:

bcp5296d, surfcaster, king75 and 6 others like this.
  8. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 England

Hopdaemon39 and Domingo like this.
  9. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho

10. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Northern Colorado seems to simply be the Ft. Collins/Loveland/Longmont metro area, which is definitely up there. If they simply listed Ft. Collins it could stand on its own. There are now 11 breweries within Ft. Collins proper, which is pretty amazing when you think about it.
    Still, I think Bamberg beats 'em all.

spartan1979, ONovoMexicano and danfue like this.
  11. JDice20

JDice20 Aspirant (201) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I will give Tampa, Fl a nomination

Barhoppin13, rc51sport and pieman396 like this.
  12. lilsmizzul1225

lilsmizzul1225 Devotee (439) Dec 27, 2012 Indiana

Personally, I'd say Chicago. Growing up there, they have the best access to Founders, 3 Floyds, Bells, Revolution, Two Brothers, let's not forget Goose Island, but they also tend to get a lot of great import from around the country.

If you're looking for some amazing eats with good beer; check out Kuma's Corner in Chicago: great/unique burgers & always good beer on tap. Last time I was there I had a burger named "Lair of the Minotaur" and enjoyed it with an amazing 3 Floyds Zombie Dust ON TAP!

13. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I'd go with Colorado Belgium or Michigan definitely not California.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,303) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Not cities.

15. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (159) Feb 19, 2014 California

16. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,303) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Despite the weird beer laws of PA, Philadelphia should still be up there and considered.

17. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

It's San Diego. Hands down. World class beer, world class food at ALL levels, from taco trucks to ultra fine dining.

Angst likes this.
  18. digita7693

Trader

Probably get the same argument for pdx + it's easier to get around:slight_smile:

19. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,206) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

As much as I love San Diego, and I drive down there every other month or so for Alpine, there's something about how damn spread out it is that makes for an exhausting beer day. If you want to hit all the really good breweries and pubs, you're going to spend a lot of time driving. It's far easier to get around Portland, NYC, and SF, although you're mostly going to hit great bars and pubs as opposed to breweries.

ONovoMexicano and j47paco like this.
  20. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Zealot (501) Mar 29, 2013 California

They lumped Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins together for the same reason they use a blanket monicker like "San Diego" and "San Francisco" to describe those beer scenes. A lot of these are regions or greater metro areas, rather than simple cities.

21. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (182) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

i can say for sure that the answer is not anywhere in maryland

22. JohnCassillo

Anywhere with public transportation will offer better options for beer touring, agreed. Can't get to all the "best" in San Diego in reasonable time, but depending on what you pick, can still hit pockets of several great breweries and/or brewpubs in a short distance, I think.

HRamz3 likes this.
  23. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,051) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

24. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,741) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Lots of hops (used very well, obviously), flat C&C bottles and 3 bars = San Diego is the best beer city in the world? I certainly agree that San Diego is an amazing city for beer, but these reasons he gives are hardly inspiring. The user comments do a much better job..

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  25. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,225) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

This is very true. I've hit Lost Abbey, Stone, Green Flash, and Alesmith all in one day. I bet if you really tried you could squeeze Alpine in there as well.

And besides the breweries, downtown has tons of locations walkable from each other/a hotel. All with good food an drink

26. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (286) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

Brussels is NOT the best beer city in the world. I might not even put it in the top five. It's absolutely amazing if you want Cantillon, Trappist beer, or the other big Belgian beers. Outside of that, the selection isn't great. Sometimes it can be downright shameful. Trying to show my European buddies good American beer in Brussels was neigh impossible, for example.

EDIT: Okay, I checked Delirium's menu after posting and they've either added US beer or they didn't have what they advertised when I was there. Not as bad as I though, but still not amazing, especially outside this one bar.

#26 Dreizhen, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    hopfenunmaltz and digita7693 like this.
  27. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

russpowell and jmw like this.
  28. digita7693

Trader

Problem is you have to go to delirium:slight_frown:

29. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

Not much experience w/ beer travel.... but I can tell you that my fantasy trip is to Chicago. Preferably in Nov.

BubalooBrewMaster likes this.
  30. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (286) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

Yeah, this is true. I'd almost rather not count it, though. It's basically turned into a college bar of the trashy variety (I say that currently living in ground zero for trashy college bars). I was only in the city for a few months. Had it been much longer I would probably have given in and gone a bit more. Even then I would still probably miss a ton of stuff that they don't carry.

31. JohnCassillo

Yup. San Diego may be "very spread out," but it's still very navigable if separated by area. Like you, did Stone, Green Flash and AleSmith in one day, and also stopped at Ballast Point, too (instead of Lost Abbey). And Downtown does have an endless supply of spots to check out.

32. Donco

Donco Devotee (470) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Haven't been to Portland but Ashville is a great place for food, beer and the arts!

NCMonte and Barhoppin13 like this.
  33. Donco

Donco Devotee (470) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Having never visited San Diego, I will be doing so at the end of October. It's no coincidence that I've booked first class on the way back from SD to Philly. Free baggage to pack my "purchases" back home:wink:

34. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Portland?! Do they even have beer there? Gross.

tylerstravis likes this.
  35. Cotchept

Cotchept Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Colorado

Chicago deserves a nomination. I grew up there and it's really shaping up to be a great craft beer town.

Since I now live in Denver and have finally experience a lot of the breweries I gotta say it's one of the best beer cities in america.

36. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,381) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

San Diego….no doubt

37. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Savant (917) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Philadelphia best of the east!!!

nobeer4u, craigdb and victory4me like this.
  38. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

SD's beer scene is quite a bit stronger than Portland's, if only because the brewers have had a good 10-15 year head start (homebrewing/nanobrewing). I'm sure the food is about equal, but San Diego has the best Mexican food in the country... and better weather. :slight_smile: So I'll stick with SD. Although I'd love to take a beer week in Portland.

39. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,222) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

As New Yorkers, we do back and forths with Boston over who's a better beer town.
    New York or Boston, Boston or New York.

The answer is Philly.

weltywm, mythaeus, nobeer4u and 9 others like this.
  40. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I've been to both multiple times and Portland's beer scene impresses me more. Craft market share there is way higher than SD, and even though part of that is demographics, it's still a stifling number. Also, craft brewing goes every bit as far back in Portland, if not further, as it does in SD. That being said, I'd rather live in SD, but that's mostly because of weather.

tylerstravis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.