Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Zealot (507) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

And yet another debate for "session". How many?

2. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (798) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I have become a big fan of Abita Amber recently. A good amount of flavor at 4.5%-ish and a cheap beer in most places.

3. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (535) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Five pints is the official British standard minimum requirement for a session. As defined in the Binge Drinking Act of 1912.

4. Rob315

Rob315 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Kentucky

Bells Oarsmen, Prima Pils, SN Pale Ale, GL Eliot Ness

YogiBeer and Profchaos20 like this.
  5. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Zealot (507) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I won't disagree with that.

3-4 6% beers vs. 5-6 3% beers.
    This debate could and does go on forever.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  6. aty11b

aty11b Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Texas

Was going to Full Sail Amber, SNPA, or Sam Adams Boston Ale but if we are going by the under 5% rule which is bullshit since there are some who can handle something a little above that during a session (not a bad thing if you cant) then I would say Dos Equis Special Lager...

7. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

can we call it something else already?

8. marquis

marquis Crusader (774) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

This only applies to those drinking two sessions a day.
    To our American friends,a beer is defined as an Imperial pint. 12 ounces is defined as a sample.

tronester and jmw like this.
  9. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

I like two things about this. 1) that there is a legal definition. and 2) that it's phrased as "minimum requirement". You MUST drink at least five beers. Is there a set amount of time in which these beers must be had?

It's not bullshit. Just because some people can handle five or more 5%+ beers in a 'session' doesn't mean everyone can. Just about everyone can handle five or more 4% or lower beers in a session. And a key component of this is also functionality after the session.

I said in another post in another thread that I'm rarely a stickler or purist, but at 5'6" and 120 lbs, I can certainly drink five or more 5% beers, but odds of me driving are incredibly low. So,while I never met the man, I'm totally on DING's side (and Marquis).

10. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I try to take the word "session" pretty serious. I homebrew mostly session ales. And, get annoyed quickly when a bar has nothing below 7% on their menu.

With that said:
    Lagunita's Daytime
    Brau Brothers Hop Session
    Surly Bitter Brewer
    Surly Mild
    Stone Levitation
    Summit Summer Ale

11. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,542) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Yuengling Lager

12. marquis

A little misunderstanding here. The adjective "session" relates to the beer not the drinker.A session beer remains a session beer even when in the cask.It's a strength descriptor.A specific type of beer in other words. Not the same as a beer you like to drink a lot of. Just as racing another car away from the lights doesn't make your car a drag racer, just a car you use like one.

tronester and lhteacher like this.
  13. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (352) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

The Brits get so touchy on this subject :slight_smile:

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  14. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (742) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

And indeed confusion may have lingered a decade longer were it not for previous legislation further limiting power in the House of Lords. A huge step forward for beer and general parliamentary order imho as the Lords had previously blocked attempts at similar passage. It was in their interest to maintain confusion as to when sufficient quaffage had been achieved.

As Marquis stated above, the first five pints does not in fact constitute a session until sufficient quaffage is practiced to achieve five pints for the second time in one calendar day, thus rendering both acts as separate but related sessions. The BDA is very clear on this.

cavedave likes this.
  15. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

If we're going strictly with <5% ABV...SA Noble Pils or Lancaster Kolsch (both a readily available & somewhat inexpensive).

If we can go a bit over 5%...Prima Pils, Headwaters Pale Ale, or SNPA (again, all are very affordable).

16. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Aspirant (251) Jun 18, 2010 Virginia

Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale.

P.S. I hate when people write a beer down, then say, "End of Thread." like they just threw a haymaker of a comment.

ledzeppelin4 and kemoarps like this.
  17. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (715) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

New England Galaxy Pale ale (4.8% and insanely delicious)
    Smuttynose Shoals Pale ale
    Victory Headwaters Pale ale
    Stone Levitation

2 old favs.,now retired.........:slight_frown::

Dogfish Shelter Pale ale
    Smuttynose Portsmouth Lager

Happy Sessioning All !

18. mnstorm99

Because us Americans have killed the term.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  19. SalukiAlum

Trader

Affordable is important in a session beer! Why and the hell I would want to spend a Saturday drinking multiple 3.8% beers all day is beyond me. Might have a serious problem if that is the case, would prefer to drink a couple of pints of water, eating some meals and pacing myself with beer I enjoy. Obviously there are a few styles that are normally low in alcohol to begin with, so understandable. I'm also not 120 pounds and I've been drinking for 20 years, so what I can handle is different then my little sister. I think a true 'session' beer is under 4.5% right? Didn't 'session' also stem from how much beer was taxed in relation to alcohol % a hundred years ago in Europe?

20. SalukiAlum

Trader

21. SalukiAlum

Trader

My favorite local session beer is Odell 90 Schilling! Love that shit, can drink it all day. It's 5.3%, so according to the experts on BA, not considered a 'session' beer! Damn!

22. aty11b

aty11b Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Texas

Thanks for clarifying things

23. bismarksays

bismarksays Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2008 Iowa

Ayinger Brauweiss. I know it is just above the 5% threshold at 5.1, but it is close enough to count.

24. sjverla

So it only counts if you have two five-pint sessions in the same day?

I'm making my way through http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/ like a book, and I'm sure he's got the BDA linked in there somewhere - but if someone's got it handy I'd like to see it.

Thanks

25. mecummins

mecummins Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

NG Spotted Cow (ABV 4.8%)
    Bell's Oberon (a little over at 5.8%)
    Half Acre Daisy Cutter (also over at 5.2%)

26. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (702) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Jabby Brau, Dreamweaver, Boston Lager, Sucaba

27. mnstorm99

28. azorie

azorie Champion (884) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

That depends on body weight...I drank 3 in a row not much of a buzz for me....lol.
    I feel many brits going nuts about now.

29. sjverla

Yeah, I know it's him. From that homebrewing thread where we were having a similar discussion. I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to buy his new book, too.

30. marquis

You are making the mistake of assuming that lower gravity beers are somehow less rewarding. There are some utterly superb beers of this strength which make you wonder just how the tastes are screwed out of such gravity.And as your session progresses it gets better. These beers are of course horses for courses , they aren't intended to blow you away but give pleasure for hours on end.
    The origins of such beers lie with WW1. Before the War we imported much of our barley and these imports dried up so brewers had to either brew less or brew weaker.They found ways of making them acceptable and even after hostilities strengths barely moved. Another factor was massively increased taxation - it had been an expensive war and also there were millions of widows and disability pensions to fund.There didn't seem to be any great pressure though to return to pre war strengths.

tronester and StuartCarter like this.
  31. ricke49

ricke49 Initiate (0) May 2, 2004 Oregon

Widmer Columbia Common - very balanced and surprisingly flavorful at 4.7 abv

ColinStClaire likes this.
  32. mnstorm99

The changes that took place with the wartime government ales...

33. SalukiAlum

Trader

We seem to have plenty of experts in here on 'session' beers. So is a Berliner Weissbier considered a session beer if it lands in this ABV range, which most do? I always kind of considered 'session' beers to be a certain style of beer with English malts and hops, etc?

34. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (742) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Really? I was pretty underwhelmed.

35. mnstorm99

Certainly no expert here, but in American considering anything below 5% (actually I prefer 4.5%) to be a session beer and the fact that we take our style from all of Europe, I would say that is a session beer. But, the term is an English term, so it often refers to English beers.

36. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (483) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

37. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

How often do you go beyond 3-4 6% beers?

38. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (535) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

The original 1912 Act specified no more than 20 minutes per pint, but later legislation extended that to 25 and then 30 minutes. Purists still insist on the original 20 minute stipulation.

Hdredfern, sjverla and SalukiAlum like this.
  39. sjverla

1) Thank you.
    2) Your blog has made my work days significantly less productive.
    3) When is your latest book supposed to be available? I know it's up for preorder now.

40. SalukiAlum

Trader

I don't 'distinguish', when I drink every experience is different. Doesn't always matter whether the beer I'm drinking is 4.7% or 5.7%. Other factors that influence the way I drink might be: am I eating a meal or other food while drinking, have I worked all day, did I run 10 miles this morning, how hydrated I am, how much sleep I got. Some days 3 beers feel different to me then other days. It's called moderation and knowing my body. I don't have to read labels and make sure the beer isn't over 4.5. I drink what sounds good to me at the time. If I go camping during the summer, I drink plenty of water and really slow my drinking so I can last longer (just an example). I'm 41 years old so a 6% beer typically wont affect me. I'm pretty good for averaging about a beer per hour. Again I just don't think the word 'session' mean a lot anymore. Personally in my mind a session beer is under 6%, but that's just my own personal definition. I can drink 3-4 and feel fine (this may be in a 2-4 hour period as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.