Share Your BA Meetup Stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scream, May 6, 2019.

1. scream

scream Meyvn (1,031) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

One of the great things about this whole community is the friendship we get to share with each other. From time to time folks speak about travelling here and there and meeting BA-abc. I thought it might be nice to have a spot where one could post about upcoming travels where they or a reader could reach out to meet with other members, talk about their plans and their meetings.

I have had numerous pleasant meetings w that Packer fan guy- I think he is @GreenBayBA , and several meetings w @DoctorZombies , and recently a chance to meet w @Ocalafox > All of these have been great, sharing and exchanging beers and of course our wisdom on the subject.

We have a meeting planned for next Sunday at Badger State Brewing w @GreenBayBA and @Ocalafox the day after the UW graduation. I look forward to getting together again. Always fun !

So, share your meetings, look for opportunities to meet and have fun. Or, if this is just dumb, ignore.

Cheers !!

benzodrums, kemoarps, SWChi and 36 others like this.
  2. scream

Society

As an addendum, as next Sunday is Mother's Day I have sent a request to Badger State Brewing that there be plenty of Mothers Of Invention music while we are there !

kemoarps, chinchill, mickyge and 10 others like this.
  3. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,493) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Haven’t had a bad in-person meeting with a fellow BA yet. I like the idea of this thread, I’m always happy to share a pint with any BAs visiting the great Philly area or northern Delaware!

4. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Disciple (368) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I basically live in the Arctic Circle now, but if anyone wants to freeze their balls off and drink awesome beer and whiskey with me, just drive north-northeast...and don't stop. If you've hit Nova Scotia, you've gone too far.

We even have beers called Lunch and Dinner, so meals will be available upon request. Pro B-ball players can show off their Swish, and you may even have an Epiphany while you're up here. Come on up, to a little part of Southern Canada called MAINE!!!

5. scream

Society

Thanks ! We'll have to see if it works. Hopefully it will help make some connections.

kemoarps, FFFjunkie and larryi86 like this.
  6. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,306) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I think this is an excellent idea, I have found out several times after the fact I missed a few BAs by and hour or so when traveling.

7. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,298) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I met @DoctorZombies just last summer over a Grimbergen in a bar as he was traveling around Paris and burbs.

Very engaging, friendly guy as a first impression. Eventually we agreed to a unplanned IP trade (BBCS on his end and Cherry Chouffe and Maredsous Triple from me).

See? Even then waitress is smiling:

[​IMG]

Overall impression: 5, would meet up again.

8. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,675) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

Meeting up with other BAs are great! I met a bunch in Philly and New York and had an awesome time with all of them.

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,357) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

In all my recommendation posts, I tell people I'd be happy to meet them, but that tends to be reserved for the regional/BIF threads, so here goes - if you're ever near Kansas City, MO - I'm happy to both supply recommendations and to meet for a drink.

The few BA members I've met have been very kind and enjoyable to share a beer with, and I look forward to meeting more over the years.

10. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (954) Feb 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society Trader

When I lived in Baltimore I did a trade with @alexk307 and ended up being invited to join an amazing tasting group with @_RL_ . Doesn’t look like many of those guys are active here on BA anymore but it was a great experience.

kemoarps, _RL_, 2beerdogs and 4 others like this.
  11. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,932) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Nice thread @scream . I, too, have enjoyed hanging out with you, and I’ve been lucky to have met many BAs while traveling, and hope to make more new friends along the way...

Mrs. Z and I begin our summer long travel with our camper in a few days...after a visit with family in Houston, we will be in Buda, TX (just south of Austin) from 5/17 to 5/27. We plan on doing some Lone Star State camping/sight seeing, then head to AZ, then to CA for an extended visit.

If anyone wants to grab a beer or two, PM me and let’s get together!

12. scream

Society

Thanks and enjoy the trip ! Firestone Walker in the schedule ?

13. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

We’ve done an NYC / NYC area meet up at Other Half a couple of times. Last one was mid-April. Always a good time. At the most recent edition we did the first ever Blind ‘Tose Test™️ - blind taste test between a lacto and non-lacto version of the same beer. Safe to say there was some BIG talk beforehand. And some BIG upsets at the event itself.

@RobNewton @jrnyc @fdonnelly @frozyn @Tallerboy @prettygood @FlamingMoe @SeanEDPBK @afroskully @SpinSamzo @dhaakon @Max_W

I think that was everyone who made it last time. Apologies if I missed anyone. Also cc’ing @Feaor inabsentia #FyeaorFestival

#13 rozzom, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  14. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,479) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I've met @DoctorZombies in Cologne as well, he's all over the place! Was a great evening as well. I've also had a few Kölsch with another BA for a somewhat briefer meeting, which was still nice though.

I was all set up to meet two other BAs as well, but they both dropped out on me, one of them almost literally at the very last minute after I had already shifted my plans for that week around to accomodate him. Oh well, can't win 'em all :sweat_smile:.

15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,751) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I need to get out to KC. When I do, I’ll hit you up for sure!

16. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

I hope to hit at least one location during/after visiting in LA - Cheers!

17. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

We had a great meet up, and I look forward to seeing you again our next trip to Paris - Cheers!

18. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Who knew that Kris Kristofferson was a beer nerd

19. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

As I recall, I drank a bunch of Delirium variants on tap that night...tons of fun! I’ll let you know when I’ll be in Germany again (maybe this Xmas?!) - Cheers!

20. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (81) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Just a quick look at the 2019 brewery specific threads Other Half has the biggest superfan (super complainers?) club. (OH is at 72 pages and Treehouse is 2nd at 48 pages.) So I would venture to say if any visitor checked in at OH thread they would find a drinking buddy for their visit.

21. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,941) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Great idea for a thread @scream ! I too have had good luck meeting a few BAs over the years. I've also had the pleasure of chatting on here with quite a few people coming for a visit and having questions. Therefore, I will just put this out there since it is the beginning of most people's vacation months:

If any of you are ever in Montreal give me a holler to grab a beer, get some advice/recommendations, swap a couple local shelf beers, get an improvised tour/pub crawl, ask questions, whatever. I'm always game to share all the great beer, food, etc. that we have here!

2beerdogs, EMH73, dcotom and 9 others like this.
  22. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,623) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I believe there are more than a few of us who live in the NC Triad area (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point). I'm sure we could come up with something at one of the local breweries, baseball game, etc.

23. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,941) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

"Well I woke up Sunday morning
    With no way to hold my head, that didn't hurt
    And the bourbon barrel aged imperial milk stout with cacao and vanilla I had for breakfast wasn't bad
    So I had one more for dessert"

KentT, lordofthewiens, EMH73 and 15 others like this.
  24. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

SW Michigan is a destination for many beer nerds because of Bell's, Founders, et al, so PM me whenever you're visiting Kalamazoo, Battle Creek or Marshall. I'll be happy to meet up with any of you or provide recommendations to help you on your trip. We have a really good German-inspired brewery here in Cereal City, plus New Holland is supposed to open a new location in late summer.

25. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

I’m in! Would love to make you visit my small town - if you can find some place a bit closer while not too far off from other tourists spots!

FFFjunkie and DoctorZombies like this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,985) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

We've had several BA meet-ups with folks from the NW forum, always a fun time. Plus, I've met with several folks as they visit my town. Hasn't gone wrong yet.

brutalfarce, vurt, jhartley and 5 others like this.
  27. JamFuel

Society

Oh yeah, anyone going to Copenhagen, Malmö or Stockholm, I'm full of recommendations and will buy you a beer if I'm able!

tobelerone, EMH73, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  28. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (128) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Another +1 for the venerable @DoctorZombies from me. We met up while he was serving a stint in my quiet little 'burb south of Milwaukee a few summers back. He arranged a nice little share at a local watering hole and we ended the night with discussion of trading that ended up in almost 3 years of solid, non-formal back and forth box sending that netted both of us many long time wants. Now due to life circumstances changing (but not in a bad way) I've had to pull away from the exorbitant costs associated with trading and feel a little hole in my heart not shipping out or receiving his porch bombs any more. Every time a delivery would show up to work I'd run to the back door like a little kid expecting a big toy order from the Sears catalog! Was a great ride and still enjoying working my way through the backlog of beers from the last few boxes. Thanks again for everything Dave! ☺

Another +1 for @just_in who I met through local IP trading. It's always good to team up and help each other out with the stuff you miss since you can't catch every release and hold down a job at the same time. Best of luck with your new career move and if you come back to visit know that you'll have a guy holding some Central Waters for you!

One more set of props for @Hoppity1 who we met at our first CW anniversary party. Your Mardi Gras whale share was second to nothing I've ever had the opportunity to drink and missing it this year due to badly-timed illness has been one of my biggest disappointments of 2019.

Though I tend to keep pretty busy and don't spare myself alot of free time, if any one of you ever find yourself in Milwaukee hit me up and we'll see if I can make it out for a couple. A lot of good, kind, generous BAs out there and always fun to meet others who share a passion for this strange hobby. And that concludes my awards speech. Lol

just_in, drunkenmess, EMH73 and 8 others like this.
  29. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,479) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Sure was fun, we put quite a few beers back that evening :beers:. I'm up for some more anytime, just let me know when you'll be in or around Cologne!

FFFjunkie, DoctorZombies and Shanex like this.
  30. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Thanks for the good thoughts; I’m going to miss receiving your boxes of tasty surprises, but also the “shopping” aspect (“I’ll grab two b/c Andy will like this also”...). Best wishes with all to come your way, and whenever you are in Florida :wink: ... Cheers buddy!

31. DoctorZombies

Society Trader

Will do - Cheers!

FFFjunkie likes this.
  32. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,079) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Great thread - I wish I could have met up with more BAs while I was in Europe, but did meet up with 3-4 while there. I would love to meet up with more in the future. I recently met up with @Lingenbrau, which was awesome! Great guy!

@DoctorZombies - let me know when you will be in the LA area! If you hit up any of the breweries around, perhaps we could meet up.

Anyone else who visits SoCal (Anaheim/LA/Riverside), let me know!

vurt, 2beerdogs, EMH73 and 7 others like this.
  33. JamFuel

Society

Someday I will do my SD/Long Beach/Anaheim/SF trip, I expect a beer or two...

34. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,079) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Man, that would be awesome! You will have company when you're down south!

FFFjunkie and JamFuel like this.
  35. JamFuel

Society

Bottle Logic has called my name for a long time now...

dukeandduke, FFFjunkie and Beersnake1 like this.
  36. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (503) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I met up with @vitaminvert and @Dan_Inreallife locally. We see each other often now, but our friendships started on BA. I've met several other BAs like @Kramerbarthomer locally. I also ran into and traded with @MHorridge in Denver when I was a noobie.

Also met up with @thatoneguymike several times in Alabama, and he's coming to visit Colorado this week.

Met up with a BA on Maui, but I can't remember his name at the moment. We drank CO beers that I brought while watching the sunset over the ocean on a beach.

I've also met up with @KyleDavis and @treznor in Denver and @sembo in St. Paul. And @oline73 and his brother stayed at my house one time. I think that's it?

Oh yeah, @tommyguz met up in CO how could I forget?

sulldaddy, SABERG, MHorridge and 6 others like this.
  37. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

Aye. I’d be a bit irritated at someone dropping out last minute/canceling for no valid reasons. Especially if we are looking to accommodate them... but hey people are people even the fine BA community :wink:

As I wrote on my BA profile, I don’t do International/Shipping trades since it’s known to be risky especially to America and likewise to Europe. However if one of you reading this thread hit CDG and the Northern Parisian burbs, drop me a PM. I’m not photogenic but I don’t bite.

38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (367) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is a really cool thread @scream - I enjoyed reading the posts thus far.

39. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (503) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I just remembered it was @ShoyuStout that my dad and I met up with in Kihei, Maui. It was a fun time- I like meeting up with people. We were on a public beach so we were trying to be sly with our plastic cups. I remember we drank an Avery Callipygian and a BA sour from Wicked Weed; among other things. It just happened to coincide with the sun setting and nearly perfect weather as is common in Maui.

40. scream

Society

Thanks !