Share Your BA Meetup Stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scream, May 6, 2019.

1. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,094) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Will do - we’ll be staying downtown for a few days!

Shanex, FFFjunkie and Beersnake1 like this.
  2. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (232) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

What part of TN are you in? I’m going to be in Nashville this weekend for a stop off a southern grist Saturday afternoon if there are any BAs that may be nearby. @Buck89 i think is in the Nashville area based on his NBS posts. Either of you two going to be in the vicinity this weekend?

3. colby600

colby600 Zealot (547) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I believe I've only had a beer with @swenny916 and @doublevision if memory serves. Although I've met with many BA's for IP trades.

4. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,094) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I will -Cheers!

FFFjunkie likes this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

First trip into VT, and there’s like 4 guys in the Blackback Pub, and two of them were BAs. One from Chicago one and his GF from Hatteras Island. Kinda cool.

6. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,920) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm in Nashville and it would be great to meet up! I do have to work at least part of the day but I'll DM you.

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (721) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Great thread......I don’t travel much but I will put it out here when I do. As far as I know I do not know any other BA’s.

Enjoy

8. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Pro tip: Wear comfortable shoes and bring sunscreen. One man's 'improvised tour' is another man's interminable death march. I mean, who would have guessed that someplace named Montreal would be so hilly, or that the sun would blaze so fiercely at such an extreme latitude?

Seriously though, there is no finer host.

9. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,920) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Great thread! I've shared beers with @cjgiant and his GF several times, thanks to BA, and they are outstanding hosts/tour guides. I also had the chance to meet several BAs at Dark Lord Day last year - every single person I met was a class act and likely steered me clear of great peril that day :sunglasses:. I hope to see them again soon.

@Vidblain @FFFjunkie @Dragginballs76

10. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,059) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I'd say it's more that we collectively steered in and out of great peril several times, but miraculously survived. :grin:

Cheers, John - looking forward to the next meet-up!

11. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,133) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

I've had the good fortune of developing several good relationships with fellow BA's over the years..

The first one I met in person was @FFFjunkie who was gracious enough to host me during DLD a few years back and show me his city (and introduced me to my addiction for Italian beef). During that same festival, we ran into @jolly_lynch and had a grand ol time.

@Thedrizzle and I unknowingly had a mutual friend/trader in ATL, and have been able to meet up when he and his family was in town for a fun bottleshare.

@J_rodriguez86 came down with his wife once, and got to hit a few breweries with him while he was in ATL.

@DominicOH met up with me at The Festival when it was in ATL, super nice guy, great photographer.

@Dan_K , as he mentioned earlier in the post, has become a good buddy over the years, and we try to meet up whenever we can. Nothing bad can be said about that dude.

@jerppyjerp is also one of the raddest dudes you can know, and anyone that will invite you over around 1am on your way back to your airbnb in Cali is a friend to me.

If any BA'ers are traveling in/around ATL, hit me up, I'll be glad to give some recommendations, or meet up and have some brews! Cheers homies!

12. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,580) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

I remember meeting up with a fellow ba years ago in North Carolina. Don't remember the username, but had a great time. I brought BCBS which he hadn't had before, and he KBS which I hadn't had before. Both much harder to find back then, really cool

13. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (334) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Cool thread idea. I have never shared a beer with an BAers but have done a few in person trades. Open invite if your in the Boston area and want to grab a beer I'm usually down!

14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I met up with @Strike00 and @BR-15 at Whiskey Road in Cedar Falls, IA. Had some great beers on tap, including Todd the Axe Man.

Disclaimer: We work together. Does this even count? :stuck_out_tongue:

15. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,152) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I met a BA back in 2012 (don’t remember his handle and the convo was on the old software) who hooked me up with a Blind Pig he’d brought back from Santa Rosa, and I’ve tried to pay it forward since. If you make it to Bend, OR and you’re a BA, first pint’s on me.

16. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,696) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I've had the good fortune to share beers with both @cjgiant (and the gf) and @russpowell on multiple occasions. Both are incredible BAs. I had the privilege of letting @cjgiant finish my World Wide Stout one night because I had to drive and he had the gf driving him. But don't ask him about that; he may not remember. I actually spent my 40th birthday and 9th anniversary with @russpowell while traveling for work. He took great care of me.

One of my biggest BA regrets was not making time to meet up with @Prager62 during one of my trips to Michigan. He's moved across the country now and I'm sadder for it. Also love to meet up with @jzeilinger and @WesMantooth someday. Guaranteed to be good stories if that happens.

17. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,792) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Thank you, but you and family easily repaid any guiding we did with a nice time in Nashville. Plus we got the chance to try some home brews and cooking.

I think I’ve met a dozen or so BAs, split across our travels and theirs. I’ve missed a couple others as plans just couldn’t be coordinated. Surprisingly, more than a handful have been crazy enough to meet up with us a second time (I’ll keep their reputations protected at this point :wink:).

Much beer has been enjoyed (sometimes too much in one sitting), but the company has always been enjoyed more. Cheers to all with whom I’ve shared a beer in person.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've only met up with 3 BAs who I can remember.

ColoradoBobs in Fort Collins, Tyler in Casper, and Mentor at one of the GABFs.

19. cjgiant

Society

We’ve met?

Dan_K, TheDoctor, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  20. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,696) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Three times. I introduced you to your gf. Got you to try beer for the first time. Taught you about BA stouts. You probably just forgot.

jhavs, EMH73, 2beerdogs and 2 others like this.
  21. cjgiant

Society

So you’re to blame.

Still waiting for your next trip so I can learn something new and immediately forget it. Get to work on that.

22. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,082) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

My first few were with @Todd and other Colorado BAs for two Denver pub crawls (the first one starting at the Lucky Pie and going to such places as Great Divide and River North along with a great dive bar -- the Star Bar) a few years back and a BA event at Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, CO with Mrs. Goot also in attendance. I still wish I could remember the bomber of beer Todd bought me at River North (at their original location) on the first pub crawl, but by that time it was early in the morning and pretty boozy outside and only about six or eight of us left. It was probably some version of their Conundrum or Avarice...I'll post a few pictures of the December 07th, 2013 pub crawl...

Recently, I enjoyed a nice meeting with @lordofthewiens in Denver. We were hoping to meet again a second time a couple of weeks ago, but those plans fell through.

In all cases, it was good times, good company, and good beers...

...December 07th, 2013 pub crawl map...

...Todd and fellow BAs at Lucky Pie...

...at the Star Bar (Todd seen on the right)...

...Todd and fellow pub crawlers at Jagged Mountain (me on the far right)...

...fellow BAs at River North at the end of the crawl...

#61 beergoot, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  23. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,468) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I’ve never met up with any BA’s in real life, but would like to....I’m in a “target rich environment”

If anyone in the South Bay (Los Angeles) wants to grab a drink, I’m in.

24. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Oh shoot. I met Jason and Todd at a GABF when they had their own booth. How forgetful can I get? A rhetorical question, that.

DoctorZombies, 2beerdogs and beergoot like this.
  25. scream

scream Meyvn (1,124) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Hopefully the ones you forget thought it was worth their time !

2beerdogs and Bitterbill like this.
  26. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (856) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

There have been BA bottle shares around LA. We had a monthly one going in West LA for about a year. There was another that was starting up in OC, not sure if it ever got off the ground. I know there is interest in rebooting the West LA but we have not found a venue yet. There is also some interest in an EL Segundo share. That might be in target range for you.

Anyway, keep your eyes open for LA area bottle share threads on the Pacific Forum. Its a great way to meet other BA's.

27. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I reckon that I've got them all covered now.
    Lol.

scream likes this.
  28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,280) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Yeah, I agree. I've had numerous meet ups with local BA's. But the time spent with people I've chatted with, and participated in NBS with, for a few years have been stellar. On my travels got a very cool handshake tick with @Prager62 along with some local tips and hospitality. Awesome guy. And for people traveling through my neck of the woods had a couple of great evenings spent with @ONovoMexicano and @kemoarps respectively. I look forward to more in the future.

29. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Me too. Gotta jump on the bandwagon here.

DoctorZombies and Beersnake1 like this.
  30. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Damn I feel left out.
    @DoctorZombies you're an absolute beer slut. HAHA You get around. So Cal my friend. Let me know when you're in SoCal.

31. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (754) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Great times indeed John and Mike!

32. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,457) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I really enjoyed meeting you and your son, i was also surprised I was able to walk walk out of there!!!

33. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (1,860) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Regrets? While my posting here may be on life support, I'm not dead.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Hit me up if your travels ever bring you to the Denver area. The weather and scenery is much better here than NW Indiana.:sunglasses:

34. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Headed to Austin in June. Would be happy to meet up for a drink while there! Most, no wait - all - of the people I'm traveling with are not into craft beer. I was hoping to make a shop stop to haul some beer back and enjoy a quality craft brew before we move onto copious amounts of domestics.

I'll post over in the relevant regional forums as we get closer.

DoctorZombies, beergoot and FFFjunkie like this.
  35. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,745) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

The SWTFYW group here (Beer It Forward group) has had about 4 major meetups where groups of 15-30 of us have met up in different parts of the country. One of those meetups was a mission to drink the Top 250 BeerAdvocate beers. We were able to obtain about 210 of them (some were draft only, some were freshness issues, some were just too hard) It was a blast. Now when I travel I usually am able to meetup with at least one of the guys or gals.

I have met up with one or more of them....

Phoenix
    Chicago
    Dark Lord Day
    Huna Day
    Darkness Day
    EBF (Boston)
    Boston (lots and lots)
    Denver
    Houston
    Richmond, VA
    Portland (both ME and OR)
    Charleston, SC
    St. Louis
    New Orleans

I'm sure I'm forgetting some places, but it's wonderful

36. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Crusader (758) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Here's a fun one. I was working on an IP trade in August 2015. We decided to meet in the middle of our two places of employment, right near the steps of St. Patrick's Cathedral in midtown Manhattan. After consummating the trade with @NYC-IPAnAPA, we both realized that we went to elementary school together and hadn't seen each other for about 20 years.

We drifted apart again after that, but I wish him the best.

stevepat, dcotom, SWChi and 18 others like this.
  37. MattilaRage

MattilaRage Initiate (32) Sep 2, 2018 Alberta (Canada)

Love the idea of this post. Would love to actually meet up with a few BA's and drink some beer. Unfortunately most of y'all are down in the states.

38. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Met too many over the years to give shout outs. Some originally met here are in my tasting group. BA attracts the kind of people I enjoy hanging with is one reason I have been a loyal BA for so many years Meeting up with BA's over the years has been positive and enjoyable without exception.

I am always excited to meet up to sample the excellent beer we have here in the Mid Hudson Valley, N.Y Anyone coming to the area give me a shout!

SWChi, SABERG, Mrstiffington and 12 others like this.
  39. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (131) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have a dream of visiting Olympic National Park again, driving up Vancouver Island, ferrying through the inside passage to Prince Rupert, then road tripping down through Jasper & Banff, hitting Calgary, and finally whatever else Canada has to offer on the way back down to Minnesota's Arrowhead country before landing back in familiar land in the UP of Michigan. This summer will probably be our last chance to make it happen so I'll hit up your inbox if we can swing the huge cost of that epic road trip :grimacing:. Cheers!!

DoctorZombies and FFFjunkie like this.
  40. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

If any BA wants to find me in a beer setting outside, you can usually catch me outside Benchtop in Norfolk VA during (new) can releases. I'll buy you guys a beer. I know there's a few Hampton Roads/RVA BAs on here

DoctorZombies, gopens44 and FFFjunkie like this.
  41. rozzom

rozzom Champion (821) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Cash me ousside how bow dah