Sharing beer is awesome! but....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fishmich, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Devotee (425) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

I'll likely be opening a Chocolate Rain on Sunday. Anyone that wants to come over, you are welcome. Otherwise, I'm drinking it to myself.

mlhyatt likes this.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,881) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Back on track...

I have an Upland Blackberry Lambic that I suspect none of my friends will want to try because the other Upland sours we've had caused gut-rot from being so sour. Last night, we opened up a Kiwi Lambic and that was literally painful to drink, though it must have been less painful for me since I went back to the bottle for more when nobody else did. So now its looking like I'll be doming the Blackberry Lambic sometime in the next few weeks. But not for the lack of wanting to share it! :sunglasses:

CowsandBeer likes this.
  3. Josbor11

Josbor11 Devotee (442) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

This is exactly what I am getting at, it is probably easier for you to have this share-all mentality because you and your friends have tastings. My friends do not do this. They do not have accounts on here, they do not trade beer, frequent local shops regularly to get in on the good stuff, or line up in the freezing cold for FFF beer when it comes to town. There is an absolute 0% chance that at any point in time they will bring something of their own for a group tasting. If I had a circle of friends who all sought out after great beer and we all brought something to the table from time to time (not every single time, but at least once in a while)...that would be awesome but that's not my situation. If you bring something rare to your buddies and you were the only one that shared it and this was the case every single time I have a feeling you would not be as generous down the line. After a while, you would realize you were essentially running a charity.

4. Providence

Providence Crusader (712) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I don't have tastings. Never been to one before actually, just used it as an example. I also don't trade for beer (I did for a bit, but way too expensive an endeavor). Additionally, my friends, like yours, never have any rare or special beer. Moreover, I have offered great beer to folks without being offered similar great beers down the road and it did not deter me in any way from offering them great/rare beer again in future situations.

The other night was actually a great example. My wife and I had some friends over and my friend saw that I had a bottle of something that, for me at least, was an expensive and difficult to acquire beer. He said, "oh cool, I've heard of this beer." And my immediate reaction was to say, "crack it open and let's drink it."

I guess you and I just have fundamentally different outlooks on this. Two each his own.

Cheers!

5. Josbor11

Josbor11 Devotee (442) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Sorry if we hijacked your thread, that was not the intention! I certainly would not say it derailed, if anything your question just opened up a good healthy debate on the concept of sharing vs hoarding haha. It's all over now, so hopefully everyone will continue on with the original OP.

6. BradStokley

BradStokley Disciple (304) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I drank my Prop on a random Monday night solo. It was the best Monday I've ever had.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  7. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Devotee (425) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

I'm going to blame all of you for giving me diabeetus after I dome that Chocolate Rain. No one wants to play with me :slight_frown:

8. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

Drank a Double Barrel Hunahpu last night on my own. Spent about 3.5 hours on it...figured that long for the equivalent of 2 high ABV beers would be no problem. Paid for it this morning. I suspect DB Huna is in the 15-17% range given how awful I felt today.

Be careful, friends.

PS - It was pretty amazeballs

9. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

Oh, and there are others in this class I do on my own, mainly if its my first time with the brew. Have had Prop, Dark Lord, CBS, BA Speedway, Arctic Devil, etc on my own without feeling like I did today. Looking forward to my Rare and BA Kopi all by myself too :-)

10. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,511) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I used to not have many friend who were into craft beer, so I'd drink most things by myself. Now I love sharing beers and seeing what people think of these crazy beers I like. I've drank beers with people on this site too, it's crazy how generous some people are. I've tried many incredible beers due to the generosity of people. I try to pay it back when I can. It's the right thing to do.

11. emtrexx

emtrexx Initiate (109) Jun 24, 2007 New Jersey

I love sharing, but sometimes I need assess who I'm sharing with. Casual beer drinkers don't appreciate the good stuff!

CowsandBeer and Josbor11 like this.
  12. fishmich

fishmich Disciple (365) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

maybe ill go down in flames with you and drink mine.

13. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I drank a 750 of Vampire Slayer for my 393rd birthday. I thought it was very fitting.

14. WillyB123

WillyB123 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 California

I pretty much have 3 different beer categories. I have my every day beers (SN, Anchor, ect.) Those I will drink to myself. If one of my roommates drinks them while Im not there, its no big deal. They'll probably replace it with a newcastle or something, which will be a little sad. Then there's the bombers of nicer, more interesting beers that I will usually share with anyone willing to drink them with me. (Stone RIS, Belgian bombers, ect.) But then there are some of those beers in my closet that I could only think about sharing with 2 or 3 people. (RR sours, Aged, ect.)

15. mj81

mj81 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

Just finished off a sucaba all by myself over 2 days. Had a BCBBW last week. Couple weeks before that it was a BCBCS & supplication. Wife will have a sip of stuff (doesn't like sours though) but for the most part I drink alone. Between work, kids and other obligations, I don't have a ton of time to hang out somewhere with buddies and drink my rarez. When I do hang out though, I usually supply the brews cause well, I can. Still waiting on the right moment to crack open one of my elijah craig 50/50 though. Also something like a WWS or 120 min ipa I'll wait for company to split so I don't completely **** myself up with one massive beer.

16. Petey_the_Quiet

Petey_the_Quiet Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2014 Florida

Had a bottle of Intuition's UnderDark, Uinta Tinder, Stone Enjoy By and a 6pk of Hopslam all to myself (separate occasions of course). But for the most part I enjoy sharing rarities amongst friends, but the occasional indulgence by myself is a treat.

17. GarthDanielson

GarthDanielson Poo-Bah (4,721) Nov 6, 2010 Virginia

I was trying to look back in retrospect to determine which side I fall on, and then I realized while reading that I just cracked a BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2007 to drink all by myself. As much as I like to share with friends who have the ability to appreciate, I do tend to be on the selfish side from time to time.

Petey_the_Quiet likes this.
  18. Mersh

Mersh Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

I do when I'm in the mood. Only get to really do shares about once a month so there are evenings when I have something on the rarer side that I want to indulge in. It's nice being greedy sometimes.

Petey_the_Quiet likes this.
  19. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,928) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

That's basically all I do.

Providence likes this.
  20. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

I drank a bottle of De Struise Double Black by myself. I drank it over the course of 3 hours or so.

21. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Disciple (369) Apr 27, 2004 New York

My favorite large formats all to myself in one sitting :
    Firestone Walker Sucaba
    Allagash Curieux

22. edmaher

edmaher Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 Illinois

Got into a Westy 12 on my birthday this year by myself since I had waited about seven years to try one!

23. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Meyvn (1,000) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

I tried to share Rogue's Voodoo Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter but only my sink was willing to join me.

24. Misanthropy_Sipping

Misanthropy_Sipping Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Nebraska

I think the last one I did was a Fantome Pissenlit. It was an unusually warm winters day, I cracked it and just sat out on the deck and watched the pine trees out back sway in the breeze and read a book. In the past I've put done Boulevard Rye on Rye and also Funkwerks Dark Prophet. I also probably do what a lot of people consider a total bastardization and I tend to drink half, put a bottle stopper in and come back the next evening. I've never had a problem with the beers losing too much carbonation or oxidizing badly or anything at all. It has also worked well with really big beers in 750mls so I don't end up blasted with brain fog the next day.

25. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

i've been a broke college student before. i'd still share but i don't have a problem with the guy saying "i spent this hard earned $9 to enjoy a 4-pack for myself".

the real problem with society these days is lack of nuance. if someone has an opinion he/she is automatically locked in to whatever radical segment of society happens to share something approaching the same opinion. everything is black/white on the internet.

this isn't a hill i'm dying on. put the pitchfork and torch back in your pocket.

#105 misterid, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    nicholasofcusa likes this.
  26. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

at that age i think you've earned the right to do whatever the hell you want

27. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (732) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I've grown into sharing more often that I used to. While I have no problem drinking an entire bomber to myself, I have started to enjoy the reaction of others during a bottle share. For me, that's what it is all about. I do buy multiples of "harder to find beers" to share and to have one all to myself. It's nothing unusual for me to come home, play around in the cellar, and decide on a bomber of something "rare" to relax from a stressful day. While I would share it with my beautiful girlfriend, she prefers to raid my wine collection. :slight_smile:

28. atomic

atomic Aspirant (234) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

Back when Heady Topper was super special for me, I drank one solo. But otherwise I never do this anymore. The downside of having a BA girlfriend.

29. Providence

Providence Crusader (712) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Speaking of not automatically locking someone into an opinion......

30. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Some might argue that capital investment is more effective at curing poverty than charity and that our entire economic model is based on incentivizing people to take actions that benefit both the self and the collective, but I digress.

Here's the thing. I like drinking with friends much better than I like drinking alone. Among the people I consider good friends, a couple don't drink alcohol, and a couple are casual drinkers who prefer craft to mainstream but don't like the taste once the ABV goes above about 7-8% and never drink more than two 12 oz bottles in one session. The folks I know who are into boozy bombers are hopheads so we don't like a lot of the same stuff.

At risk of getting too philosophical for a beer thread, the best course of action is to behave the way if everybody behaved, everybody would come out with the best results. If everybody sought to please both themselves and the collective, everybody would be happier than if everybody just sought to please the collective. So I would say, buy the beer you want to drink, and also take the opportunities you have to share it.

31. sicilian

sicilian Initiate (176) Sep 30, 2008 Florida

One of my two 750ml bottles of CCB Big Sound Bourbon barrel Scotch Ale

It was tough drinking it all by myself, but thankfully Scotch Ale improves as it warms so I could take my time drinking it over a couple of hours or so.

32. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,873) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

Just drank a Prairie BOMB! over the weekend.

33. marcron03

marcron03 Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 California

is there a law about customers can bring beers to restaurants and share it with others ? (California ) thanks!

34. H0p_Head

H0p_Head Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2013 Florida

I drank an Enjoy By and a Double Bastard by myself one night. I was shit hammered to say the least

35. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (569) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

i do this all the time

guess it would be a different thread (and not that interesting) but i'm curious what the biggest abv bombers are people have taken to the dome solo

36. ThePaintedGrey

ThePaintedGrey Aspirant (277) Jun 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

None of my friends appreciate beer the same way I do. With that being said, if I purchase something I've never had in the past, I am quite stingy with it... If I buy something that I've already had, I'm always eager to introduce it to someone, however.

37. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Devotee (419) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Drank a whole Black Tuesday by myself the other day. It was sooooo good. I did let some people take a sip because they are all BMC drinkers and I want to open their world to awesome beer. But I drank over 99% of it. Drank it at a party and over 3 hours and at 19%, it had me feeling reallllllyyyyyyyy good.

I drink bombers and 750's all the time by myself. Start off a night of drinking with one each time.

38. stealth

stealth Zealot (552) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

I share enough with friends that I have no problem spoiling myself from time to time with beers I want to save for myself and only myself. Drinking an Oude Tart with Cherries right now, and I'm feeling perfectly fine not sharing it :slight_smile:

39. Beercanman1

Beercanman1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 Ohio

The XV was so good

40. switzer

switzer Aspirant (206) Jan 18, 2012 Oregon

Often. I don't have many friends that like sours. My wife generally sticks to ipa. I love me some sour beer and am happy to drink a big bottle down. Knowing its a lot for one person, I take my time and cut it with stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.