Sheaf Stout: is it still available?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by mmfitzpatrick, Nov 10, 2019.

1. mmfitzpatrick

mmfitzpatrick Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2019

I have been a fan of Sheaf Stout for many years, and my local store has always carried it. However, for the past two months they say they have been unsuccessful in getting any in. Does anyone know if this is still being produced? I certainly hope so.
    Michael

#1 mmfitzpatrick, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    thebeers likes this.
  2. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,299) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Where are you based, OP?

3. mmfitzpatrick

Near Seattle, Washington, USA

4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,063) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

I sometimes see it in random Mom n Pop mini-marts, but no idea of freshness.

Hmm, always meant to tick it, never have. Now I have a goal for this week.

NWer likes this.
  6. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I can see someone being disappointed in not finding Sheaf Stout in North Dakota, but the Seattle area? :rolling_eyes:

7. beertunes

Trader

Dude likes what he likes. Not having had Sheaf, I might recommend Wander Correspondent as being somewhat similar. Anyway, I bet we have multiple local breweries that make equivalents.

sharpski, kemoarps and Reidrover like this.
  8. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

It was an AB InBev product, but they sold it to a Japanese beer company this past July. That probably explains why it disappeared. It was a common grocery store beer.

beertunes, Reidrover and LiquidAmber like this.
  9. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,540) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I like Sheafie..haven't even looked for it for a year. Used to be widely available in Oregon in the early 2000s.
    I will check the local cheap cig places they always seem to have these old favs.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  10. Reidrover

Society

Someone did a review and said they got a bottle at Blaine WA in late August...the last?

kemoarps, distantmantra and beertunes like this.
  11. beertunes

Trader

There's gotta be a store in Sumas then.....

kemoarps and distantmantra like this.
  12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,869) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's been imported by MillerCoors since the SABMiller days, and MillerCoors retained the US import rights for those former SAB beers after buying the part of MillerCoors they no longer owned when ABInBev bought SAB, based on the agreement with the US DoJ - just as they still import Pilsner Urquell tho' the brewery is now also owned by Asahi.

It's still on their Nutritional Code pdf list of beers (revised April, '19), on page 17.

I'd contact MC to see if they still import it (previous threads on the beer here on BA suggest that it had not been well-distributed in the US for many years) - after that, if they do, it's probably a decision of the local MC house to stop carrying it.

MillerCoors Toll Free # 1- (800) 645-5376
    MillerCoors Import Toll Free # (from Pilsner Urquell can) - 1-(800) 752-9188

Jaycase, kemoarps, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  13. mmfitzpatrick

- - - - - - - - - - - =
    UPDATE – I finally was able to contact Carlton United Brewery, makers of Sheaf Stout, and they said the product has been "deleted." They also said they constantly review their products, so I am hoping they change their mind.
    I wrote them back and said it was very popular here in the states and that stores in my area (Seattle) have been constantly running out of it over the years.
    IF YOU WANT TO OFFER SUPPORT for CUB reconsidering the deletion, here is their email address::: -
    CUB Consumer Relations" <fosters@mailsy.custhelp.com>

14. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,476) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I wish you nothing but luck in this endeavor Michael, but you can't find anything comparable to this beer? I haven't had it in some time, but have good memories. I know it's listed on BA as a milk stout, but it always struck me as a sweetish (not overly so), soft on the palate, easy to drink oatmeal stout.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it seems like there are a lot of locally made Oatmeal stouts in the SeaTac area that would help you scratch this itch in the event you're unable to find any more Sheaf Stout.

Regardless, good luck with your efforts.

15. Reidrover

Society

It is actually getting hard to find any stout apart from Guinness in bottles/cans anymore.

16. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,064) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Well, there's Deschutes Obsidian Stout. And Black Butte Porter scratches a similar itch.

Fremont Dark Star is a bit harder to find, but it's worth the effort because it is even more delicious.

17. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,063) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, anyone?

beertunes likes this.
  18. twelveinches

twelveinches Defender (662) Oct 26, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Does Big Bad Baptist still make its way to WA? feel like I haven't seen that one in a while.

19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,299) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Wow, not just discontinued but deleted. They'll never acknowledge it even existed now. Seems a bit drastic but whatever.

sharpski likes this.