Shipping Heady Topper Question. . .

Discussion in 'New England' started by dcgunman, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (620) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Real quick. . .I am planning to fly out to Burlington to visit the Alchemist and other brewery's and brewpub in and around the area. I would like to bring Heady Topper back home with me. But because I'm flying across country I dont want to check bags. And of course I can't carry on cans. Whats the best way in Burlington, Vt to purchase a box and ship a case of Heady back home? I know there is a USPS in Burlington. Is there a package (postal store) in Waterbury where I can box up the cans?
    Thank you.

2. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (382) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Honestly, checking a box of beer may be less expensive than shipping considering how much beer you're looking to bring home, and where home is. I would suggest Fedex over USPS. There is a Fedex Office store in downtown Burlington on Main St. Plenty of meter parking right outside.

There's a Staples 5 minutes away where you could pick up packing materials. It would also be nice to have your beer with you when you get home and you avoid the beer being subjected to the elements of a cross-country trip in August.

3. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike Initiate (160) May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I know there is a UPS store in Stowe, but I'm sure you would be better off buying any packing materials in Burlington. I have to agree with jamvt, it seems way easier and most likely much cheaper to just check a bag.

4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

If you have to ship, I think it's a violation of terms to ship beer via UPS/FedEx but a violation of federal law to ship via USPS. I know checking bags is a PITA but a case or two of Heady might be worth considering.

5. CTBadger

CTBadger Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2005 Connecticut

You can also ship via UPS at any Staples.

6. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Yeah, you can probably check two cases (48 cans) for $25 if you're careful on the packaging (the weight limit is usually 50lbs).

dcgunman and ColdOne like this.
  7. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (620) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Like the idea of packing in a good box and checking it in. Thanks guys for the advice.

8. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (443) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm doing the same thing next weekend. Was thinking about shipping a couple cases back to myself, but after reading, I'm probably better off just throwing it in a suitcase.

9. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

Shipping a case is easy but pricey! Packaging can be purchased at Staples on Williston Rd and shipped at UPS or FedEx in downtown Burlington

10. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

For $25 you can bring 50lbs of Heady back on the plane. Seems much more economical and and faster.

Also, FWIW, I've shipped plenty of Heady in USPS flat rate boxes

11. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (370) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I would be cheaper to check but you have to check with the air carrier.

12. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

So, at the risk of sounding like Johnny Novice, I'll ask anyway. Do you guys put the HT inside bags or anything when you pack it in your suitcase? I was going to take some freezer bags with me as a precaution should any of the cans burst, for whatever reason. Hoping to pack a case in my GF's bag, and a case in mine. Might pick up a few additional four packs, since I've promised to share some with buddies back here. I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

13. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Vermont

If you already have a FedEx acct...i'd get packing materials here in BTV, pack it, go down to FedEx on Main st. and ship it to yourself....easy as pie.

14. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

I don't have a FedEx account. The consensus seemed to be it's easier to throw it in your suitcase.

15. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike Initiate (160) May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I would just buy some ziplock big bags to be on the safe side. Better to waste the 5 bucks than soak your suitcases.

16. celfan

celfan Disciple (323) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

It is cheaper and you avoid hot trucks

No brainer

17. VTMoondog

Whatever works for ya..
    I send HT to fellow BAs in VA every week thru FedEx and get no complaints.

18. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

Every week? Guess I know who to contact in a couple months. Ha

The way I see it, baggage fees are a sunk cost anyway. Plus I will get the beer quicker upon my return to Chicago.

19. VTMoondog

Enjoy your stay here in VT. don't forget to hit The Reservoir, Prohibition Pig, The Farmhouse, and three Penny Taproom as some of THE best taplists in the Burlington/Waterbury/Montpelier area!

Drunken_Monk likes this.
  20. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

Already have a reservation at Reservoir actually. Plan on hitting up Prohibition Pig after dinner to check our their tap list. That's our only night there, so not sure if we will be going anywhere else.

21. VTMoondog

The Rez' taplist this past weekend was EPIC. KBS, BCBS coffee, HF Everett, Rodenback Grand Cru, Lawsons double sunshine....just to name a few!!! I couldn't even try everything I wanted to!! All at better price per pour than you'll get in Burlington. Cheers!

22. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Do yourself a favor and walk across the street to black pack too.

yarnbomb, jamesewelch and Massbmx like this.
  23. VTMoondog

Also...in terms of breweries...if you continue to head up Route 100, from The Alchemist, you run into Lost Nation Brewing, Rock Art Brewery, and of course Hill Farmstead. 4 breweries on one minor road tour!

24. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Drunk post? Could it be either backpack(drinkin' in theparking lot) or black back?

25. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I wouldn't mention Rock Art in the same breath as the others on the list. Limited amount of time I would not bother.

26. omniscientcause

Come on the P and B are close together on the keyboard o_O ....No I just mistyped.

27. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Just Kidding, The Heady threads are way too serious.

copslovebeer likes this.
  28. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

Black Back was my favorite place we went to in Waterbury. I absolutely loved Vermont. We're talking about making a return trip during snow season.

Also, happy to report the 54 Heady Toppers I packed in my suitcases made it back safely!

29. omniscientcause

Glad to hear, I recommended it to someone else coming from CA and they stopped in yesterday for lunch and also loved it.

30. Auror

Auror Defender (634) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know it's a ways off, but make sure you've got good tires when doing that, especially if hitting Hill Farmstead.

VTMoondog likes this.
  31. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

Any concerns about the temperature changes involved in shipping the beer? Either by air or land?

32. bryanole27

bryanole27 Aspirant (227) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

So I'll share my recent horror story since the wound is still fresh.:(

Just spent August 1st -5th up in Vermont visiting friends on a beercation. Ended up with 2 cases of Heady, some to drink there, some to ship home. By the time I left, I had 10 4-packs left that my friend was going to ship to me in 2 boxes. 1 box arrived yesterday with 4 4-packs, the other, with a full case...destroyed and lost. I'm crushed. UPS managed to destroy an entire case of Heady (or destroyed some and kept the rest).

Needless to say...be careful shipping and definitely do not ship UPS. Next time I'll check them on the plane.

Just re-telling this story makes me sad.:oops:

33. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Devotee (456) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

seems hard to do, unless the HT was thrown into a huge box with no padding at all.

SupremePie likes this.
  34. VTMoondog

With regards to temperature...while they ( at the brewery) may tell you to always keep it cold ( there is a current thread on this subject) it is not necessary. I ship HT to VA regularly, and the guys down there have no complaints about freshness.
    Shipping....use FedEx, and like any other beers...pack your box really well. Don't be shy about using plenty of packing material.

35. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

I just shipped 12 Zombie Dust and 4 HT to New Mexico. Packed the shit out of them, so they should arrive safely. Yes, I used UPS, but you pack under the assumption your box handlers are a-holes.

36. brownswisscow

sounds like your friend needs to learn how to pack.

37. bryanole27

bryanole27 Aspirant (227) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

He knows how. I've received 20+ packages from him without an issue.

38. brownswisscow

sounds like someone at UPS is drinking a case of HT :(

jdmandel and bryanole27 like this.
  39. elvisdoc

elvisdoc Disciple (316) Jul 16, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Heading to Burlington in April and want to bring back some HT, etc. on the plane back to Florida. Would you think putting 2 cases in a Walmart purchased duffel bag (after bubble wrapping them of course) would work? Or would you recommend using boxes instead. Just wondering what the experts do.

40. lhteacher

lhteacher Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Massachusetts

There was a post a couple of years ago, I think by John Kimmich, about taking Heady on a plane. I searched for it for a second to no avail. If I remember correctly he said that he packs thim in a hard cooler and tapes the thing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.