Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short beer pours.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Leebo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (144) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Who else is tired of getting ripped off from a " not" quite 16 oz pour, on a regular basis? We need and uprising, stand up for your missing 1.5 ounces!!! Thick bottoms, smaller pint glasses, a true travesty. We should go to bars with a weights and measures officers and demand justice. Lets gooooo......

bluejacket74 and meanmutt like this.
  2. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it is quite annoying. Especially places who use the cheater 14 oz pints and try to pass them off as a 16 oz draft with two fingers of head. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the establishment is ignorant or trying to pull a fast one. But at the very least, if the bartender doesn't top it off upon being asked, I usually won't frequent that establishment anymore. Or at the least, order draft beer there.

#2 ShanePB, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    chrismattlin likes this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I don't go out of my way to talk poorly of places for shorting pours, but I certainly let friends/family know if they ask how a place was after I have visited. Those sentiments are also reflected in my review here on Beer Advocate. Not to say I promote Yelp shaming, but if service was bad and the pours short - folks need to know.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say I'm tired of short pours, because I don't revisit places that short change me as a consumer.

4. Leebo

It's usually the glasses the bar uses, so EVERY pour is short and illegal. Won't talk poorly? Squeaky wheel needed here, a bright light shined on dark spaces.

Harrison8 likes this.
  5. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Disciple (377) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

#firstworldproblems

6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (763) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It's been a Long time seen a bar selling 14 OZ beers and calling them pints. In fact most of them don't use the term pint at all. Everyone seems to call their beers 8,10'12' or 16 OZ pours.

7. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

There's a place I go to that has 18 oz glasses and shows a line below the lip that reads "proper pint." They definitely fill those things up.

8. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Vote with your feet, I say. Also, I think that it's no coincidence that better bars are pouring their beers into glasses that are either marked for volume or ones that are bigger than the indicated serving size. Since I tend to frequent establishments that give a damn about into what they are pouring their customers' beers, I tend to very rarely have a problem with this short pour issue.

9. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

We're wasting time "chatting" on a message board that is solely about craft beer.

They're ALL first world problems, brah.

10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I don't want to be a Yelp shamer. That said, I will make it known that "X" place isn't honest and should be avoided whenever possible. One complaint that a place isn't serving the proper amount of beer during a run and every member of my training group won't go there again. We like our beer. And getting the full allotment we paid for :slight_smile:

Thankfully, we have plenty of other bars and breweries to get our full pour fix from in the meantime.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. MikeWard

MikeWard Meyvn (1,082) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

A mate of mine, when served a short pint, would casually ask the bartender if he could fit a double scotch in there. Bartender would say yes, and Bill would bark, "So do I, top it up!"

denver10, Leebo, Lucular and 7 others like this.
  12. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This. Beers are sold by the ounce size just about everywhere these days not by the pint.

Ranbot, TongoRad and dennis3951 like this.
  13. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

That's a classic British response to a short pour. Love that.

Harrison8 and MikeWard like this.
  14. teal

teal Initiate (73) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

My local serves all of their draught beers in the stereotypical shaker pints.

BUT - it's full right to the top and the most you'll pay for one is 4.50 and they'll usually buy you a round or two if there most of the night so I don't complain at all.

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I avoid shaker glasses when I can. The local Old Chicago has unchilled which just happen to be Nonics, which I dig. Still not 16 ounces but what the hey during half price happy hour.

16. darktronica

darktronica Savant (982) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Got some proper Brits in this thread, we do.

MikeWard likes this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,466) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I hate shaker pints, but it's not on the bartender he didn't buy those glasses. As long as you get a proper pour I'm ok, I'm not into measuring. I'd prefer Pils glass for AALs, lagers etc, most any kinda tulip, or any glass resembling a red wine glass for everything else. So many shapes out there.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  18. marquis

marquis Crusader (739) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Beer on this side of the pond can only be served in measured thirds,halves and full Imperial pints. All glasses are Government stamped to guarantee the measure.
    Because of the head there is a small amount of leeway but any head thicker than a finger width is regarded as excessive. Barstaff are obliged to top up a beer with a large head.It serves no useful purpose over this thickness and in no way is it regarded as a sign of quality.

19. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,585) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Supporter Subscriber Industry Beer Trader

Yes, this is total bullshit. Why can't we adopt the system they use in Europe, where they designate the actual volume on the glass with a line, so the customer knows exactly the volume of liquid they are receiving?

20. moshea

moshea Devotee (425) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Getting overcharged for a product happens globally not just in the first world

Greed knows no geographic boundry

chrismattlin likes this.
  21. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,476) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Not that I prefer high-ABV, but most beers that I like are higher ABV, and since I still need to drive home I appreciate smaller pours of 8-12oz. The taprooms I frequent have a variety of glass sizes and list how many ounces you're getting. They also tend to do "careful taproom pours" to minimize the head, which makes my NBS and WBAYDN pictures less interesting.

22. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Most places I go to don't say "pint" or they have the actual pour volumes posted right on the menu/board, so until US passes pour volume laws like the UK [not gonna happen] they are being illegal or cheating.

dennis3951 likes this.
  23. Leebo

Sure, my math says a pint is 16 ounces. Some places, not " beer " places sell pints, at least in the Boston, MA area.

chrismattlin likes this.
  24. Leebo

Nice price, haven't seen that , ever. Try $ 6-10.00.

meefmoff likes this.
  25. Leebo

Sure, yup. Do you expect your 10 gallons of gas to be 9.5? Nice TX T-bone steak, 20 day dry aged. Do you expect the 24 oz to be 21? A matter of principle.

26. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (194) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as its clearly stated how many ounces you are getting. Most bars that I go to have different pour sizes for different beers (depending on things such as style, ABV, rarity of the beer, etc.). I don't necessarily want a pint of a 12% stout. I also appreciate bars that give an option of 8 or 10 oz pours for a lower cost than 16 or 14 oz for a "full glass". If I'm traveling and trying a bunch of local beer I don't really want flights but its nice to get a few 10 oz glasses. You get enough of the taste to know how it is but you can try an extra beer or two without getting sloshed. I don't always want to do that but I like the option.

27. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (396) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Equinox?

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,279) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Aka - An "Improper pour" ? :rolling_eyes:

Bigrock and Bitterbill like this.
  29. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I don't have shady sized pints at my local Irish place that only uses imperial pints.

Its the reclaimed wood, edison lightbulb industrial decor craft places you have to watch out for. But 9 times out of 10 I see beers marked by oz. size.

30. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (40) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina

It's not illegal. Weights & Measures has nothing to do with draught pours in the states. The issue arises with your assumption that you should be getting a 'pint'. As others have stated, many bars now are not using that terminology just to avoid this sticky situation. Call it a pour, a serving, even just 'a beer' and you are in the clear as a server/owner.

Why on earth would Americans adopt the European system for liquid measures when we are so asinine in demanding that every other system we have remain different? Temperature, length/distance, weights, pretty much everything we can do to avoid the sensibility of the metric system--because our idea is 'better'.
    If we're getting behind this idea, I think we need to start saying that a pint is actually 20 oz.

eldoctorador likes this.
  31. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (502) Dec 12, 2014 California

You mean getting the government involved in this? Then people (and breweries) wonder why the beer market is so over regulated...

teal and chrismattlin like this.
  32. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

If you tell me I am getting 12 or 16 or how ever much beer and it's not that much there will be an issue. This is illegal to tell me I am paying for 12oz and then serve me 10oz.

I also have issue if you serve be a 16oz pour in a 16oz glass..,..unless the beer is to the rim you just served be 12-14oz

Enjoy

33. HeilanCoo

Can't argue with that. If the bar states 12 or 16, then that's what they are obligated to give. The issue arises in assuming that you are buying a 'pint'.

dennis3951 likes this.
  34. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

True....pint can mean different things to different people. I think Michigan? Was looking at a law saying, Pint must be 16oz of liquid.

At the end of the day , back when a "pint" was $3-4 it was not as big a deal but now that a Pint can be $8 plus it's a big deal.

Enjoy

35. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,748) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Well, a pint is actually half a quart (32oz), which is one-quarter of a gallon (128oz). So, here in Murka, a pint is 16oz.

36. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (63) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I don't know that I've ever seen beer sold by the pint, as in the menu/board saying something like 'Stone IPA.....$6/pint'. Most of the time the menu says nothing about size and I get a shaker glass that's 2 inches thick on the bottom (with a proper head, I'm getting a 12oz beer). FWIW, Mellow Mushroom in Herndon can go screw itself, I've never seen thicker glassware in my life.

At better beer bars and breweries, they list it by the oz.

37. Leebo

I have no issue with a taproom or beer bar listing by oz. It the "other" places I go to eat, restaurant or chain sometimes. You can get a 16 or 22 oz.

dennis3951 likes this.
  38. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It's a place back in my home town in California.

ManBearPat likes this.
  39. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (396) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Equinox has the big boy pours too!

40. HeilanCoo

I think you missed it

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.