Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short's Brewing 2013 Specialty Prospects

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SpongeRuiner, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeRuiner

SpongeRuiner Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Short's Brewing schedule this year looks great. I was a little late coming to the game so I missed out on some of the earlier ones. Really depressed that I missed Hopstache. I did have the opportunity to try Beard of Zeus, one of the best lagers I've ever had, and Freedom of '78. When I poured that thing and took that first smell... ugh! I just wanted to live in there. Cerveza de Julie, I'm expecting a good version of Corona. I've been wanting Peaches & Creme for a long time. And the month of December looks great.

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts and wants were on this delicious topic.

Go Wings!

2. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

Wants: All of the Short's

mjshearer1, Zaphog, steebo777 and 2 others like this.
  3. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (511) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I think they're finally brewing and bottling the stuff that is some of their best they've ever made. I just wolfed down a sixer of Dans Pink Skirt last night and am loving their hoppy bottle releases. Keep up the good work Shorts.

Runninmixz likes this.
  4. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (411) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

They've been killing it lately, although I was disappointed with this years Woodmaster. I did not like it at all. Preferred the batch from 2 years prior.

5. SpongeRuiner

SpongeRuiner Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I wasn't even aware of the Pink Skirt being available already. I'll definitely have to make some calls.

6. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (411) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I believe it's only available at the pub right now.

7. c64person

c64person Devotee (430) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It's weird in the past Short's has been a hard one to keep buying all of their brews because they are so 'experimental' and a lot of them are hit and miss for me, but this year, there has only been a few of the Short's releases I did not enjoy, but damn I wish they would make Hopstache year long, or a regular seasonal, it was amazing, just got a bit of Anniversary Ale and that it some amazing stuff, can't wait for my connection to drop some Dan's Pink Skirt on me though, I'm sure it will be epic as well.

8. SeanfromShorts

SeanfromShorts Aspirant (282) Feb 9, 2009 Michigan

Although it's a pub only release, Controversius Maximus came out wondefully. It's a tropical hop bomb that's extremely balanced.

I've been very pleased with the quality of the new releases this year.

Brianw508 likes this.
  9. c64person

Beer Trader

I'm in TC right now and thinking of heading up there this week, do you know if they still have any Controversius Maximus left in bottles?

10. SeanfromShorts

I want to say yes, but not 100% sure. I would just call up the pub and see...

11. c64person

Beer Trader

Will do, thanks for the head's up!

12. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Go up there anyway. It's not like it'll be a wasted trip.

Zaphog and steebo777 like this.
  13. steebo777

Totes Mgoats.

MarkIntihar and Steimie like this.
  14. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I had to look this up.

15. steebo777

Newb

16. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Blasphemy, there is no bad woodmaster!!! HHH do your thing and make the bros produce this year round!!!

jacob4999 likes this.
  17. SeanfromShorts

I don't think I can make that happen BUT we can all look forward to Barrel Aged Woodmaster this year -- only 2 barrels worth are being produced so I truly hope you get to try it!

18. dadmav

dadmav Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2007 Michigan

I miss the Mystery Stout

19. BeRanger

BeRanger Devotee (433) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Bring it to Summer Beer Fest in July!

20. SeanfromShorts

I don't think it will be done aging by then -- how about Winter Beer Fest?

21. BeRanger

BeRanger Devotee (433) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I can never make Winter unfortunately due to tax season. I was taking one weekend off for KBS day but perhaps since they've made that a less fun release due to the chaos in 2012, I may free up and be able to go.

22. Slamminson

Slamminson Initiate (28) Mar 24, 2012 Washington

Enjoying my last Hopstache right now!

23. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (213) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm gunning for Strawberry Short's Cake. It's the one Short's brew that I've really wanted that's eluded me.

But yes, Short's is firing on all cylinders right now. One of the most innovative and consistent breweries in the state, if not the midwest and country as a whole.

Brianw508, Slamminson, Zaphog and 2 others like this.
  24. SeanfromShorts

I gotta say, as much as I love Spruce, Hopstache, Beard of Zeus, etc......I cannot f'n wait for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Holy moly, that is one of the very best in Short's portfolio, in my humble opinion.

steebo777, StoutHunter and jb123 like this.
  25. Brianw508

Brianw508 Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

What's that? Will it be at Beer fest?

26. SeanfromShorts

It's a Double Belgium IPA w/ Galaxy hops. No joke dude, it's ridiculous. Don't think it will be at Summer Beer Fest, it's scheduled to be released in October I believe.

27. Brianw508

Brianw508 Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.