Short's Brewing 2020

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Tripel_Threat, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,779) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Ah, that new thread smell. Smells almost as good as boiling wort.

As a refresher, here's what's coming soon to shelves (or already out there!)

Seasonals:
    January - February: Superfluid DIPA
    January - March: Mule Beer

Specialties for January:
    London Fog
    Über Goober - and by extension, PB&J Stout. 50/50 Uber and Soft Parade.

2. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Here it is, Short's fans: the first limited release of the year!

[​IMG]

The last time this one saw a bottle release was late 2015/early 2016 as a part of a variety pack that included Bonafide Legit, Earl of Brixom, and Electric Mullet. London Fog was the standout for me (with EoB close behind) and at the time I declared it had become one of my favorite Brown ales. Little did I know it would be more than three years till it came around again.

Sorry, out-of-state drinkers, this one's Michigan only.

3. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (368) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

2020 Wishlist:

A surprise announcement that Goodnight Bodacious is making its return in 6packs.

4. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (140) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

London Fog was in 2018 Variety pack #2 also. Really enjoyed it. I miss those variety packs.

5. Tracker83

Tracker83 Zealot (503) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

My next visit to Bellaire should be right at the end of January. Crossing my fingers and hoping a fun Private Stache gets released prior to then (bourbon barrel cup a joe?????). BBA carrot cake hanging on until then would be a nice plus too!

Zorak2 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  6. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (63) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I'll be up there this weekend and I can report on quantity of BBA Carrot Cake. I'm hoping Bourbon Evil Urges hangs on since it has been in the mart since October and still in stock according to the website. Also looks like they released Bourbon Ein Freund today as well.

7. Zorak2

There is about 16 BBA Evil urges and 30 BBA Carrot Cakes left at the pub. They said probably wont last past MLK day.

Ein Freund is available and will be officially announced on Friday.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  8. Tracker83

Trader

Thanks for the update!

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,686) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Per the newest Short's newsletter, the next two bottle releases will be Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (a DIPA), and The Woodmaster (an Imperial Brown Ale with maple and toasted pecans). These two are probably my favorite and second favorite from Short's, and I get them back-to-back. Life can be so sweet!

10. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,583) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

The Woodmaster sounds interesting...did they say if it would see distribution beyond Michigan in the newsletter, by chance?

chrismattlin likes this.
  11. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

So far, it looks like MI only. Latest Short's report doesn't put the distro area for each release, so we gotta go by the release schedule on the website.

I also wanna put a warning out there for Short's fans: check bottle dates. I was at a store a week and a half ago for London Fog and saw PGGB. Knowing the release schedule, I knew these were old bottles and a check of the date stamps confirmed it. Happened at the same place with Juicy Tree, too.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. PapaGoose03

Society

I'll confirm what @Triple_Threat said. Historically I think both of these beers have been small batch releases, so the distro is likely to be limited again. A road trip to New Buffalo may be in your future?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  13. Zorak2

Wow I have never seen PGGB last a month past release at any store. Now Juicy Tree is a different story, but normally the remaining 6pks get split up into singles/build your own sixer and I dont see them past April after that.

14. Zorak2

Yeah it would make sense that Woodmaster has always been smaller batch due to the use of Michigan Maple Syrup and pecans.

GuyFawkes and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

Society

I finally found the Short's 2020 Release schedule on their website, and it lists PGGB and The Woodmaster as both being Michigan-only releases.

https://www.shortsbrewing.com/2020-release-schedule/

GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

We're into the second half of January, and it's time for the the second release of the year.

[​IMG]

Thia one's going out to the entire Great Lakes region - the last one to do so until Critterless in March. So grab your chance to experience roasty peanut butter that doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth.

And since Spruce Pilsner is a fan favorite, I thought I'd mention it's on tap in Bellaire if you find yourself in the area.

eppCOS, Zorak2, beerme_123 and 3 others like this.
  17. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Heading out to Colorado? Now you don't have to mule Short's out there with ya...

Pretty interesting strategy, to fill out the distro area where Michiganders tend to travel/move to. As long as they take it slow and don't overextend distribution.

18. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (320) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont

With craft beer being so hyper local, these days, I'm a bit worried, but we'll see! They have a great rep for the area.

beerme_123 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  19. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (465) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Just picked up some fresh Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Nice to see this one back in six packs. Hopefully Shorts continues the trend of putting some old favorites back into rotation.

20. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Not gonna lie, between Evil Urges and PGGB I could be set for a good long while

Mikecd234, Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

And here's the official announcement for the Short's aficionados and Short's-curious drinkers out there.

[​IMG]

I still remember seeing this one in the shelves for the first time. Picked it up because of the Space Invader inspired artwork and Hitchhiker's Guide name. Stayed because of the well-hidden ABV and ridiculously delicious flavor. I loved it so much I held onto that first bottle - empty, of course.

Zorak2, Mikecd234 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  22. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Crusader (792) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Dear Shorts,
    Without any limited releases making it to Cincinnati (or other markets outside Michigan), there's no excitement driving sales for your brewery's staple beers here; and all of your SKUs are (sadly) dying on the shelf. I only bring this up because I'd hate to see you leave (or be forced to leave) the market.

Much love to you.

23. Zorak2

Anyone else get suprised with some Psychedelic Cat Grass today?

Tripel_Threat and beergorrilla like this.
  24. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,304) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Same phenomenon in Indiana.

chrismattlin likes this.
  25. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

It is the seasonal for February to April, they were dropping Superfluid well before they announced it. A little hype ahead of time would be helpful though.

26. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (320) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont

I honestly could see this happen in every out of state market, eventually, unless Starcut/Beaches drives sales. It's so tough for regional breweries to make headway outside of their homebase, these days.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and JohnnyHopps like this.
  27. beerme_123

beerme_123 Initiate (16) Nov 6, 2019 Michigan

Quarter 2 specialty schedule is out, and Freedom of 78 is on it!

strohme2, Tripel_Threat and Cotton_27 like this.
  28. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

I enjoy Dan’s Pink Shirt, but won’t seek it.

Shorts heard me when I said they could not make anything worse than Go Juice. Their first response is The Ooze.

29. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

As @beerme_123 mentioned, the next quarter of releases are up and live!

Here's the rundown:

April:

[​IMG]

Sweet 16 Anni Ale is an India Pale Ale triple dry-hopped with 16 hop varieties. Brewed in celebration of Short’s Brewing Company 16th anniversary, this celebratory beer is the perfect this to cheers with at the Anni Party on Saturday, April 25th.

[​IMG]

Dan’s Pink Skirt is an American IPA brewed with Summit and Simcoe hops. Malt characteristics are mild throughout and practically undetectable in the nose. Pronounced floral and citrus aromas abound, with a pine resin hop bitterness that lingers well into the finish.

7.8% ABV
    99 IBU

May:
    [​IMG]
    The Ooze is a Milkshake IPA brewed with lactose, vanilla, matcha and pineapple. Very cloudy and lime green in color, this beer smells like tropical pineapple, grapefruit, guava, and green tea. Leading with a tropical blast of fruit during the initial sip, the tea shines next with a slight earthiness. Medium bodied, with a simultaneously creamy and juicy mouthfeel, The Ooze finishes smooth.

6.6% ABV
    75 IBU

[​IMG]

Internet Dating is a Gose brewed with raspberry, lemon verbena, and cucumber in collaboration with Central State Brewing Company of Indianapolis, IN. The dark rose colored hue and pink head highlight the raspberry within, which is accentuated further upon first sip. Aromas and flavors of fresh cucumber and lemon are also present. With a refreshing lighter body, Internet Dating finishes dry and tart.

5.5% ABV
    13 IBU
    9.6 TA

June:

[​IMG]

Freedom of ’78 is a medium-bodied IPA brewed with guava. This IPA is bright and clear with a pleasing bronze hue. The beers aroma is a unique fusion of citrus fruit and subtle pine. The distinct characteristics of the guava nectar are impossible to miss with flavors of tangerine, nectarine, and even faint honey detectable. The finish is bitter and dry.

8.0% ABV
    70 IBU
    [​IMG]

Melt My Brain is an experimental Golden Ale brewed with coriander, juniper berries, limes and blended with Short’s made tonic water to create the tasting experience of drinking a gin and tonic cocktail. Delicate aromas of citrus and pine flow into bold bright flavors of sweet lime with a slightly sticky bitterness. Refreshing and clean, a tasty tonic effervescence provokes the palate for more.

4.0% ABV
    24 IBU

Zorak2, chrismattlin, SWChi and 2 others like this.
  30. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

So, two new-to-bottles and a few returning favorites... and Internet Dating (sorry, not a fan. Maybe next year some Ocho de Mayo in May? ).

While Anni 16 sounds good I'm gonna miss the original Anni Ale. I've resigned myself to believing that Anni, like Cookie Monster and his beloved treats, is a sometimes beer.

June will be a heavy month for me, with Freedom back out. And it's not an exaggeration to say - seriously - I drank more MMB than any other liquid besides coffee over the past year. So maybe I'll chill on that one.

31. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Ooze looks appealing to me, I think the fruitier flavors will work better in a Milkshake IPA much better than, say, coffee. Don't know how the matcha works in it, but coffee IPAs need to stop.

32. Tracker83

Trader

goes to show you how individual taste vary. I generally tend to enjoy coffee ipas. Snake juice remains an all-time fav of mine, and I thought go juice was decent. What should never be in any beer ever is ginger, cinnamon, or brettanomyces.

33. bigleague

bigleague Aspirant (299) Jan 11, 2015 Michigan

Is it too early to say that I can’t wait for the anniversary party? I can’t wait for the anniversary party.

34. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

We have common ground with ginger (although I will make an exception for Mule Beer, the lime tends to tame the ginger). If Ginger in the Rye never makes another appearance I'll be happy.

I would be curious to try Cinnabilly again. It gets a lot of hate but I remember enjoying it, but it's been a long long time

35. JohnnyHopps

Society Trader

Cinnabilly had potential. Perhaps if it had some vanilla to balance out the cinnamon. But as it was, it was one of the worst beers I have ever had.

Tripel_Threat and MIbeer27 like this.
  36. Tracker83

Trader

I would have to check to be sure, but I would guess cinnabilly was probably my lowest rated Shorts beer eva...

Tripel_Threat and JohnnyHopps like this.
  37. Cotton_27

Trader

I went and checked mine out of curiosity. Ginger in the rye was 2nd lowest rated Shorts Brew and Cinnabilly was 4th lowest. So I'm right there with you.

38. Tracker83

Trader

Just checked - surprisingly cinnabilly wasn't last, but gingersnap was last followed by Pinball Whispers (which I think had brettanomyces)

39. Cotton_27

Trader

I actually really enjoyed gingersnap and always hoped it would return. Along with many others I hope return someday.

40. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Ha! I just checked, I didn't remember reviewing Cinnabilly, and I didn't. But I did rate it.

Guess I didn't enjoy it as much as I remembered.

PapaGoose03 likes this.