Short's Brewing 2020

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Tripel_Threat, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (439) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Better come soon! Dropped a little late last year, almost Mid-October.

2. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,928) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

New Private Stache available at the pub and online for delivery:

[​IMG]

Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,891) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I dunno! I got burned on the Da Vine beer, so my faith is low on Short's ability to mix wine culture with beer culture. So I'm going to let someone else be the guinea pig on this one and tell me all about it. Of special interest will be the variety of wine that was in the barrel.

Buck_Jones and Tripel_Threat like this.
  4. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I feel the same. Although if the price is right and it's available in a few weeks when I get up there I may give it a try.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  5. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (474) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Looks like Heaven Scent should be dropping next week, already for sale at the pub. Although I love Kind Ale, I'll take what I can get.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  6. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Official announcement for Loud, er, Heaven Scent

[​IMG]

Also, anyone have an idea what this is about?

[​IMG]

7. Cotton_27

Trader

Lil Huma perhaps.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  8. Zorak2

Zorak2 Initiate (39) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I think you are right. Looking at recent cola approvals, Lil' Huma just had another one approved on 8/28.

Also saw a beer in there called Bizzare Ballet. I wonder if this will be a Dan's Pink Skirt varient that may show up in the Hoppy Holidays pack.

9. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Looks like Bizarre Ballet is a Private Stache:

[​IMG]

Had to look up soursop:

"With an aroma similar to pineapple, the flavor of the fruit has been described as a combination of strawberries and apple with sour citrus flavor notes, contrasting with an underlying thick creamy texture reminiscent of banana." (from Wiki)

Two other points of interest. First, a brew simply labeled as "sour " for Untappd's 10th anniversary.
    [​IMG]

And now we know what Batch 12000 will be, and it's not what was expected!

[​IMG]

12 oz bottles for this one, so it should be in six packs. Although the release schedule says cans so there's a conflict there...

Based on the release schedule, and what got label approvals for cans, my guess for Hoppy Holidays 2020 is:
    Juicy Tree
    Double Cat Grass
    Liberator
    Yoda
    Batch 10000

strohme2 and Zorak2 like this.
  10. PapaGoose03

Society

Where'd you come up with 12 oz? The label that you picture for Batch 12,000 says 16 oz - 1 Pint, so it must be a can.

P.S. The side label says "Brewed and canned..."

P.P.S. Has Short's used 16-oz cans before?

Zorak2 likes this.
  11. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Yeah, I just noticed that and tried to edit too late. The serial number for the Cola is 201212, which usually denotes a 12 oz bottle (KR for keg ring, CN for can, 22 for bomber). Instead of looking at the damn label. So four pack pint cans like Sweet 16?

Zaphog, Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  12. Zorak2

PapaGoose03 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  13. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Looks like Big Bird Blood has dropped off the release schedule.

14. Zorak2

That's sad. I didnt get a chance to try it when it was a private stache and was looking forward to it hoping it was as good as Barney Blood.

15. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I felt the same way, I liked Short's was introducing Private Staches as limited releases. Gave me hope that one day I'd see Island Chomper on the shelves.

Ah well. I'll finally be able to pick up some stuff at the pub Friday, got my reservation ready to go. Will be fantastic to have a White Pepper in my hands again.

And if anyone new to Short's is reading, do NOT skip the Cask Ales at the pub. I am always blown away by real ales when I visit. You are missing a whole brew experience if you don't order one.

Zorak2, PapaGoose03 and Cotton_27 like this.
  16. Cotton_27

Trader

This is true, just had Bellaire Brown with coconut Sunday, It was fantastic!

GuyFawkes and Tripel_Threat like this.
  17. Zorak2

Yes always get the cask ales while you are there, because you can get everything else to go.

Also that Magician with green tea looks good, Im sad I probably wont be able to try it.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  18. PapaGoose03

Society

If either of you will (or did) pick up Garden Party at the Short's store we can compare notes. Regardless that I said that I don't want to be the guinea pig for another wine-related beer, I succumbed to temptation when I was at the pub last Thursday and bought a bottle of it. I haven't tried it yet, maybe tonight.

I also got a Private Stache bottle of Ephemera, a barrel-aged saison. It's not listed on Short's website so I don't know what's up with that, thus no other info that what's on the label.

19. Cotton_27

Trader

I didn't pick that one up.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  20. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Yeah, I was going to pick some up. I'm an absolute sucker for pub only and Private Stache releases.

Short's had posted this about Ephemera a little while ago on Facebook:

[​IMG]

21. PapaGoose03

Society

I didn't get into either the Ephemera or the Garden Party tonight.

Thanks for finding this info on Ephemera; it sounds like a very interesting beer being in a barrel for two years. But where have I heard that 'interesting' phrase before? Oh, yeah, Da Vine. :rolling_eyes: We'll see.

Tripel_Threat and Cotton_27 like this.
  22. Zorak2

I had Garden Party last weekend and enjoyed it. It fits the profile shorts wrote about it, but I didnt notice much dryness our creamy mouth feel. It does have a nice sweetness (nowhere near the davine sweetness) to the finish which I enjoyed. I'll probably pick another one up when they release Bizzare Ballet. That is if there is still some left or we are still getting deliveries in Wayne County.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Bizzare Ballet you say?

[​IMG]

It's not on the "Available Packaged Beer" list yet, but it is available from the online store for ordering. The Virtual GABF is the 16 and 17, so maybe they'll have it in pub tomorrow if they don't already today.

I'm debating getting the passport. $20 for BOGO flights and growlers, plus a t-shirt. The only thing holding me back is I really don't enjoy flights anymore (I'd rather nurse a pint), I'd prefer howler to growler fills (damn that crowler machine for breaking, crowlers are perfect!). I don't think they'd mind if I asked for a cheaper howler BOGO, but we'll see.

Zorak2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  24. Cotton_27

Trader

Good Humans has joined Big Bird Blood! Both have now been removed from the release schedule with no replacements.

25. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

That's so odd. Although, November is packed with four releases, and December had two. Hoppy Holidays will be in there as well. Maybe they'll get pushed to January?

26. Zorak2

Thats my thinking too is that they will get pushed unless something bad happened to the batches. I'm not in the industry but I'm guessing beers set for this close to distribution wouldn't be pulled unless one of those two things happened.

27. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

An update on Bizarre Ballet: they're only selling it to GABF passport holders until the 18th, after which anyone who wants one can get one

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  28. Zorak2

Oh well I hope my delivery order from this morning is ok. I ordered some more Garden Party, Bizzare Ballet, and I Remember My First Check-in.

29. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Sorry, should have clarified. The rules only apply to pub (S Mart) sales. I assume they had some set aside for online orders since they won't be filling them until this weekend/next week.

Let us know how Check In is. I didn't pick it up since it only billed itself as "sour ale"

30. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (306) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

I remember when Da Vine was first produced around 2011. I had just started working for Short's. One of the pub tenders was a big wine fan, so it was brewed for her. I'm sure the recipe is different, as it was a pub only beer, and nearly a decade ago.

Zorak2, Tripel_Threat and PapaGoose03 like this.
  31. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Thanks for the background, Sean. Hope you're doing well!

32. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I did some quick searching on Untappd and it looks like I remember My First Check In is most likely a fruited Berliner Weisse. There's a few other breweries doing a version and they're all Berliners.

33. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Should have attached the link, looks like the base recipe was developed by Dogfish Head

https://untappd.com/10

34. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (306) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Thank you, I am well. This year essentially sealed my retirement from the craft beer industry, but I am eternally grateful for the experience I had. Cheers!

35. Cotton_27

Trader

Looks like Tiramisu Blonde has been removed from November schedule now too. Hopefully Spruce Pilsner doesn't get wacked! I was bummed enough about Good Humans.

36. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,459) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

If after the tournament and everything else, ... we riot if they cancel Spruce Pilsner! Even if it takes five years, I will not buy another shorts beer unless it is Spruce Pilsner.

37. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I hope they're not having production issues, this is seriously odd. They've pulled brews before, but not this many and, with the exception of the S'more Stout issue years ago, not this late in the game

Zorak2, Cotton_27 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. PapaGoose03

Society

I opened my Garden Party last night, and I liked it. It's strong on the barrel flavor (which I like) but a bit weak on whatever wine character should come from leftover flavor from the barrel. That should have been a bit stronger. I think there might have been a little Brett taste mixed with the barrel taste, but I'm unsure of that. The malt from the beer is non-existent, but I think a Biere de Garde usually is a light-flavored beer.

This beer is kind of what I thought Da Vine was going to be, although that was a beer that wasn't advertised as coming from a barrel. The wine that was used in that blend was probably stored in stainless steel.

#398 PapaGoose03, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Zorak2 and Tripel_Threat like this.
  39. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

It definitely was closer to what I thought Da Vine would be, but I wish they had used a stronger ale as a base. Like you said, I didn't get much malt character at all, but plenty of oak and sour wine.

I think I'm just not that much of a wine guy, the only wine barrel brew I can say I'd have seconds of is OddSide's Beautiful Disaster, but that may be due to the IPA base ale.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  40. Zorak2

I was looking forward to this one since my local brewery, Witch's Hat, hasnt had Trash Punk in awhile and I must have light coffee beers.

Tripel_Threat and Cotton_27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.