Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Grand Pooh-Bah (4,268) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not to go too off-track, but a few years ago my wife and I went to a Founder's event at Ashley's. Halfway through the evening, she looked around for a few moments and said, "You guys really all look alike." No joke, every dude was 30's, facial hair, glasses, hoodie, and cargo shorts. If you're going to commit a crime, do it at a craft event because there'll be dozens of guys who match the description.

archiebunkerjr and TurboBrew like this.
  2. TurboBrew

TurboBrew Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Michigan

Finally picked up the 12 pack tonight from meijer!

Mmmkay is great as I recall...wow. What a IPL. Love the balancing act it has with the crispness of being a lager and the in your face hops !

Small heath is great too. Had it this past summer at the pub too and it was nice. Just a hint of diacetyl (I get its an accepted part of the style but mehhh butter / popcorn) I can detect in it. Other than that Its great very light and crisp / lightly malty! ! Excellent beer !!

Going to try the BBB in a few also! Ester is solid from what I recall so stoked for that too.

3. TurboBrew

Update: Just tried the stout. Its pretty darn good. The habenaro in this is a tad too much for me though its spicy thats for sure haha! Great though! Love that I was able to give it a go. I get some bourbon/vanillin flavor in the beer also. Even some lactose sugariness to it. :slight_smile:

Its a sipper thats for sure

4. Tracker83

Tracker83 Maven (1,290) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I drank a Bourbon Barrel Publican last night. WOW! I went in with high expectations because I really like the regular Publican, but it was even better than I expected. This is easily my favorite non-hop-forward beer from Shorts. This hit exactly what I look for in a barrel aged stout or porter. It was not an in-your-face bourbon booze bomb like so many other BA beers. The barrel aging brought out the oaky/woody flavors, and vanilla and carmel flavors. Exactly how I like it. Creamy, rich, roasty, looked great, and smelled fantastic. I'm really surprised this one hung on as long as it did at the pub because it is easily the best private stache beer to date (at least of the 6-7 that I've had). Getcha some! If you've got it, drink it. This is prime for consumption right now!!

5. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

It's cayenne.

6. TurboBrew

Good to know Spicy.

7. Billet

Billet Pundit (760) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

I like Ester a lot also, too bad it is not available year round. It is very well balanced and has great flavor.

8. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The labels on these ones...

Coming soon to the pub only

[​IMG]

For Valentines Day.

Has anyone here had Hot Loins (the beer)? Thoughts?

9. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Thanks for the review, I am really looking forward to mine.

10. KeyserGose

KeyserGose Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2016 Michigan

Hot Loins is a new recipe from last year, but it'll be at the pub along with on tap at EBF if anyone is going.

11. Zorak2

Zorak2 Devotee (329) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

Another heads up for Short’s fans of SE Michigan, I just saw that there will be a Short's tap takeover at the World of Beer in Canton on March 10th from 3 - 11:45.

Anyone with tap list info would be greatly appreciated because the WoB app didnt say much other than time and date on their events page.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  12. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Glad you added (the beer) to that question...Would have made it a whole different context.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  13. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Next up in the Private Stache Series, RUN, inspired by Stranger Things

[​IMG]

"RUN, the next brew in our Private Stache Series is slated for release on Thursday, January 26th, 2017. A Sour Stout aged in a mix of Two James Rye Whiskey barrels and Madeira casks and fermented with dried orange and dried local cherry, RUN will be sold in 500 mL bottles for $11.99, no limit. Like all Private Stache releases, you’ll have to make your way to the pub or Short’s Mart in Bellaire, MI to get yourself a bottle of this brew."

Someone's gotta pick one of these up and report back to the group. I've only had one sour stout (coincidentally, 600 lbs of Sin) and it wasn't the style for me. I'm curious to what barrel aging would do to it.

14. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And another release, Hopstache!

"Turn that winter frown upside down, get yourself a Hopstache! Our OG Michigan-made, grapefruit infused, India Pale Ale, Hopstache, is making it’s way back to store shelves to help you combat these bleak January days. No need to book a flight to a dreamy destination, you can sip on this double dose of citrus beginning this week.

Hopstache (6.8% ABV – 85 IBU) is an American IPA brewed with real grapefruit zest. Made with Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe hops, this beer has aromas of dank citrus and pine. An initial sweetness is balanced with flavors of grapefruit and zest. The finish is intense and dank with little bitterness.

You can have yourself a Hopstache (or six) beginning this week! Sixers of this grapefruit-tastic brew will begin hitting Michigan store shelves as early as today. "

15. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

Any word on when these will hit the pub? On Valentines itself, a little before?
    We'll be up at the pub next weekend, but i'm thinking i'll be too early

16. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Facebook posting only said early February.

17. BeyondDescription

Trader

For you Grand Rapids folks, we have an EPIC tap event at Logan's Alley, on Valentine's Day. Starts when they open, 7am.

18. beersite

beersite Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2016 Illinois

I know it's a long shot, but I am headed home to Michigan from Chicago this weekend and wondered if anyone knew where to grab some publican porter or chief hopper along the way? I am headed to the middle of the state north of Lansing in the Owosso area. I am not opposed to a short detour for those or Hopstache. I appreciate any help, thanks everyone.

19. BeyondDescription

Trader

The first two won't be out until March.

Hopstache should be at Barney's in New Buffalo.

beersite likes this.
  20. beersite

beersite Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2016 Illinois

Thank you so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.