Side Project / Shared (2019)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2019.

1. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Disciple (383) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Premium Trader

I don't think it's that SP bottles don't have trade value any longer... It's that most (minus a few exceptions) don't have crazy secondary values any longer which I think is a great thing. I love being able to trade for MOST side project bottles $4$ these days.

2. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Meyvn (1,317) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

which still can’t be that pleasant considering how pricey SP is.

i think Corey is actively trying to make bigger batches of beer. which is why Fuzzy, for example, doesn’t really trade at anything more than cost.

3. Jhuntebrinker

Jhuntebrinker Initiate (16) Nov 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

The weather did not keep the mules away yesterday! They were out in abundance. Even openly talking about how they don't really like beer. The only thing that keeps them away is the last minute to go announcements. It doesn't give people enough time to plan for it.

KevSal, OakvilleKGB, rmpic82 and 2 others like this.
  4. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (49) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Once upon a time (AdF b3 maybe?) I actually saw people get out of line because the limit was too high

KevSal and OakvilleKGB like this.
  5. rmpic82

rmpic82 Aspirant (229) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Trader

Wow - ridiculous

6. DustyF

DustyF Disciple (327) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Where? I’m not seeing anything on his personal or the SP IG account.

7. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (284) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's in the post Comments.

sideprojectbrew
    Although the weather is out of our control, we are sorry about the conditions this morning. There are too many people already in line to cancel on them, so please stay home if it’s too dangerous. To-go bottles not sold today will be released to-go on a later date.
    We had this release scheduled with staffing and at the end of stout week since December. My fault for not checking the weather last night before our post. Heard rumblings of a 1/2inch of snow, but not this ice!
    When I checked the security cameras this morning, there were already too many people there to straight up cancel the release, because many of those people were probably some of the ones that have driven the farthest too!
    Please make adult decisions, stay home if it’s too dangerous, but we are going to release the beer for those that are there.
    There is no perfect out for us in this situation, so please help us by taking into consideration your own safety before getting on the roads.
    We picked a hell of a day to release a to-go BA stout... Cheers,
    Cory

DustyF and bread_c like this.
  8. Satch44

Satch44 Initiate (57) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It took me over 5 hours to get there so I guess I’m a “max profitz hound”.

The 4 people who were in front of me were all being paid “very well” ($20/hr) to stand in line by a local. Looks like I’m not maxing my profitz as much as some of the other hounds out there.

9. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Zealot (588) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

That's pretty messed up, but I can't say I'm surprised

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  10. bread_c

Trader

New (waxed) batch of Oude du Ble to go starting today at the cellar.

11. gibgink

gibgink Champion (837) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Hope that wax doesn't increase the price

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  12. bread_c

Trader

Price is the same as the prior releases of Oude du Ble - $30

Also, per SP in the instagram comments:

OakvilleKGB and gibgink like this.
  13. Luscious_Malfoy

Premium Trader

tuesday release because locals were complaining about how he handled sunday’s release or because it lasted for like 2 months last year?

14. rmpic82

Trader

15. gibgink

Trader

Not sure how long it lasted last year, but whatever the amount was, it was too long. Fantastic beer.

dwevans24 and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  16. bread_c

Trader

Yeah, I was curious about that - looks like about 3 weeks based on cellar/brewery menu posts from last year.

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  17. Luscious_Malfoy

Premium Trader

one of my favorites as SdB is my favorite of the white labels.

OakvilleKGB and shadetree67 like this.
  18. narddawg314

narddawg314 Initiate (133) Feb 6, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I think I still have an og B1 in my cellar...

19. Luscious_Malfoy

Premium Trader

but is it waxed?

20. Run4theRoses

Run4theRoses Zealot (510) Jan 23, 2014 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

Anyone know the limit on this batch of OdB? Thanks!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  21. bread_c

Trader

Sounds like 4pp

OakvilleKGB and Run4theRoses like this.
  22. gibgink

Trader

When we did a B1 v B2 way back when, I noticed that as it ages, OdB starts tasting more like Tete.

OakvilleKGB and narddawg314 like this.
  23. Luscious_Malfoy

Premium Trader

it’s one of the threads in Tete, right? at least for blend 1 if not both blends.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  24. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (683) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

My favorite saison from them. Might have to make a trip next weekend if it’s still available. We all know wax drives hype.

25. evilcatfish

Trader

Looks like a little more BA Coconut being released through the The Wine and Cheese Place, good news indeed

26. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (408) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I'd have to agree with @Luscious_Malfoy here. I'll go one step further and say that most "max profitz hounds" are likely local.

I've never been to SP, or even MO for that matter, but from what I've seen in MA is that it's the locals that bring the team of mules with them.

Maybe I'm naive, but when I see out of staters at 'special' releases, they tend to fall under one of three categories. Right place at the right time (vacationing or traveling to the area without knowing of the release), a group of friends that are excited for the release, or someone who just wants to drink the beer and maybe share with a couple friends.

odcardinal, KevSal, kbergen28 and 7 others like this.
  27. rmpic82

Trader

Couldn’t agree more

28. evilcatfish

Trader

As much as I like to blame problems at releases on the shitlords that drive in from Chicago, I’ll freely admit we have no shortage of them already here

odcardinal and KevinJohnson2 like this.
  29. DustyF

DustyF Disciple (327) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Count me as the latter. I make the 4 hour drive each way for every release that I can just so that I can get bottles to take to shares with buddies. Didn’t chance the BA coco with the weather though.

30. rmpic82

Trader

This is ALWAYS the way to go. I'm able to travel for work and when I get out to WeldWerks/Wiley Roots or Bottle Logic or SP/Perennial or other great breweries it's all about the share. I get myself an allocation (or two) and then see if the buddies need any beer. Need to capitalize on those opportunities, but not CAPITALIZE on those opportunities.

OakvilleKGB, Serna714, DustyF and 3 others like this.
  31. Gregwilsonstl

Gregwilsonstl Initiate (53) Aug 11, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Im a local and I rarely go to releases, but when I do I see hats and sweatshirts of many colleges and sports teams, but rarely Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou.

My friends and I joke often that the easiest way to get a great STL beer (that isnt on draft) is to trade with someone that doesnt live in STL. Truth said in jest.

But the real question I wonder when reading these threads, is, who cares? Why does it matter if it's locals or non locals trading/selling beer? The effect is the same either way: long line of folks.

32. Jhuntebrinker

Jhuntebrinker Initiate (16) Nov 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

It's always interesting to look at the license plates in the parking lot during the big releases. Most are from Illinois, but I've seen them from all over. Not very many are from Missouri. Many locals (like me) are probably getting there closer to 12 and not parking in the lot.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  33. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,142) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This comes to mind every time I read arguments of 'locals vs. outsiders' for limited releases:

[​IMG]

Jaycase, jaysker95, Quilentro and 5 others like this.
  34. KevSal

KevSal Savant (992) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

damn i was excited about that! until i logged on and realized i never checked out my BRC in my shopping cart....daaamn!

35. gibgink

Trader

Grats to TWCP peeps. I remember asking somebody about their spending there. The amount was quite high.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  36. narddawg314

Trader

yeah it's pretty much impossible nowadays. There are people who buy cases of random shelf beer and bourbon only to sell it for no profit just to stay at the top of the list for these bottles. I won a random drawing one time, but that's about it.

37. Luscious_Malfoy

Premium Trader

overlap of BRC members with SP members?just wondering what lucky f*ck is going to end up with 3 BACV

38. narddawg314

Trader

Are Shared bottles part of the Le Counterstrike club?

39. bread_c

Trader

Yeah, La Coterie members get 1 bottle (pick-up starting this weekend).

The only limited Shared beer that came out in 2018 after the membership started was Coconut Vibes b2; members didn't get a guaranteed bottle of that. So this is the first Shared beer that's been allocated to LC.

40. evilcatfish

Trader

I get a lot of the special releases there, but also miss out on some. It honestly doesn't take as much spending to get a lot of the releases as folks think. Plus, in the case of this latest offering there is still a good opportunity for folks who don't spend much. At 1pp (no double dipping) the bottles will be spread out more

Here is the plan, to try to be as fair as possible to our supporters....BA Coconut Vibes Release....

• 100 bottles will go to the top 100 in the BRC from the last 6 months through February 23 based on beer only purchases
    • 30 bottles will go through a weighted random drawing of everyone in the BRC that purchased a bottle of Side Project Merci from one of our stores of the current batch going back to its release in September 2018. For each bottle you purchased it will count as a raffle ticket. This way we can reward Side Project supporters. Looks like there are 389 BRC members that have at least 1 raffle ticket in this category currently.
    • 24 bottles will go the top purchasers in the BRC all products included (whiskey, wine, cheese, beer...). Based on last 6 months through Feb 23rd.
    • That leaves 26 bottles we will use for tastings and surprise bottle releases later.
    Other details
    • Only 1 bottle per person, if you get picked in multiple categories above, you will still only get 1 bottle, we will just go to the next name.
    • You must have been a member of our BRC before February 11th, 2019 to qualify for this release.
    • As always, you will be able to pick up at any of our four locations if you receive an email for this release.
    Release date and details subject to change if there is a need or a conflict.

bread_c likes this.