Side Project / Shared (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (87) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

New year, new Side Project / Shared thread!

Stealing basic info from last year's thread:
    35 Side Project & 16 Shared bottled/canned releases in 2019; excited to see what's in store for 2020. 2020 is starting out strong with Coffee Shop Vibes on January 4th!

2. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (2,571) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

can’t think of a better way to start the year than with CSV! that said, it’s all down hill from here...

3. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (475) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

Anabasis will change your mind when it drops

4. mgundy32

mgundy32 Aspirant (241) Aug 21, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to another year of great SP/Shared beers and events.

5. TNCraftBeer

TNCraftBeer Initiate (151) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Hate I’m missing it!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  6. cpsfgd

cpsfgd Initiate (118) Apr 13, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Any word on CSV? Limits line?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  7. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (87) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Hearing 12pp at the brewery, 4pp at the cellar from people on FB

OakvilleKGB and MattOC like this.
  8. seamusmcgee

seamusmcgee Initiate (57) Mar 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Case at the brewery, there is plenty left after the line finished up.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  9. TNCraftBeer

Trader

Damn.. my local buddies aren’t in town either to grab me some. Shit.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  10. TNCraftBeer

Trader

Pretty awesome that Coffee Shop Vibes is still around.

The Invitational is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Hopefully we get some spoilers in advance of what’s being poured. Pumped!!

11. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (183) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Society Trader

I cannot wait for the invitational. Have heard a lot of hype about "select" beers from each brewery, but no concrete details. Hope there are a couple spoilers.

12. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

It's amazing that they made such a big batch but makes me feel like a real dumbass for standing in line last weekend in that awful weather.

13. jbagwell4

jbagwell4 Initiate (57) Jan 18, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Haha, understandable, but don’t feel too badly- I’ve done the same recently. Seems like the Side Project production machine is really humming. My rule of thumb these days is if a release is announced a week or more in advance, and particularly if it’s at both locations, it’ll be around for a while.

ChicagoJ, OakvilleKGB and TNCraftBeer like this.
  14. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

there’s no shame in standing in line for the best stout on the market.

15. Affinity

Society Trader

From what I heard people were sharing some great beer in line. Hopefully you got to drink some @AlexIrigoyen. I got word of the large production before and went to Heavy Riff for BA Dear Agony first. Had a couple of beers and casually made my way over to SP. Surprisingly there was still a line at 1. CSV is really good this year.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  16. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Smart move. I did the opposite but eventually made it out to Heavy Riff later in the week and had some of it on draft. Never had anything from their barrel program before and was very pleasantly surprised.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

SdF Pinot b4 this weekend.

18. TNCraftBeer

Trader

LOVE this beer. B1 was my true awakening to how good Side Project beers were.

19. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,037) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'll be in St. Louis for the Cask Festival. Any idea if CSV will last until late Saturday?

Also - is anyone going to the Cask Festival?

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  20. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

No idea how long csv will last, but I will be at cask festival. It’s an awesome event

OakvilleKGB and Harrison8 like this.
  21. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,037) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Novice question - never been to the brewery - is the photo on the breweries page all the beer available on-site at the brewery?

I see a number of bottles at the cellar that I want to try, but was also hoping to pay a visit to the brewery (finally). This is, of course, if we have enough time to visit either.

22. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,513) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

If you’re talking about the chalkboard pic, that doesn’t show the onsite bottle list. It’s usually the same, or very similar, to the Cellar’s onsite list though. If you watch Instagram/Twitter, they’ll sometimes have special limited bottles that aren’t on the list.

23. CypressPaul1

CypressPaul1 Initiate (23) Nov 24, 2019 Georgia
    Trader

Will there be a line to get into the Cellar at open during Stout Week? I'm most likely going to fly in to drink Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Just curious if it's anywhere near BBT weekend or brewery anniversary craziness levels.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  24. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i would definitely expect a line / crowd.

bread_c, Affinity and OakvilleKGB like this.
  25. TNCraftBeer

Trader

I think it will depend on what’s announced ahead of time.

26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (554) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Beer in 2020. Especially if actually from Cypress.

We need a link to that weird moment in the Rev thread from around the first release in 2019 when some guy talked about flying to Chicago just to buy some hops from Rev.

27. CypressPaul1

Trader

I bartend in Atlanta, have a very flexible schedule, it’s an hour and a half flight, and I essentially travel for free. I’m actually somewhat of an anomaly in this regard. I “got into beer” about 10 years ago. I no longer go to local releases, trade, or go out of my way for beer period. Except for Side Project. I got to meet Karen and Cory on my first trip to the Cellar in October 2018 after being aware of Side Project for years, and I was instantly a fan boy. The place is just special. I’ve now been five times, including 3 days of 2019 BBT weekend and the 2019 brewery anniversary. I’m going to try and make it for a few days of the cellar anniversary this year.

28. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

dude, are you the Paul from ATL that my brother and i stood in line behind at the anniversary party last month and shared beers with once inside. you drove in for the anniversary party instead of flying?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  29. CypressPaul1

Trader

Yeah! What a great day that was. Best beer day of my life honestly.

30. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

that’s the anniversary party in a nutshell for me. maybe see you during stout week!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  31. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (99) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Was there a limit for Saison du Fermier Pinot Noir Puncheons?

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  32. Affinity

Society Trader

It was a case limit at the cellar on Saturday.

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  33. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (760) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Fingers crossed Pinot and CSV make it to next weekend.

34. Affinity

Society Trader

Anyone know of any specific beers confirmed for the Invitational?

I am a bit worried I cannot drink stouts/barleywines for 4-hours straight. For me to get my money's worth I feel like I would need to try 20+ beers (this comes out to <$8/pour which is fair for me). That comes out to 4-5 beers/hour. This seems problematic at this high ABV. When I do wine tasting I spit the wine out, but that is not standard practice at beer festivals. This would be easier if the lines were long, but if lines are anything like Zwanze they won't be too bad.

I guess the super bowl will be optional after this event and Uber is certainly mandatory.

5Hands and OakvilleKGB like this.
  35. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (760) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Just eat a large meal beforehand and drink your rinse water in between pours, or bring a water bottle if allowed. You also don't have to finish every single pour. My first year at Fobab got out of control because I was racing from whale to whale and needed to try everything. Now I can sample 30 - 40 beers and not be completely hammered by the end. Pace yourself, drink plenty of water and remember you don't have to finish every pour. You shall be fine.

36. Budah

Budah Initiate (101) Feb 19, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

who cares about getting your "money's worth"? that's not the way to think about this event. just have a good time, drink tons of water and pace yourself.

37. JPick

JPick Initiate (187) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

As a chiefs fan, really glad I didn’t get tickets to this now. I’d be so damn drunk I wouldn’t remember the game.

38. CypressPaul1

Trader

Looking through Instagram posts, Pinot lasted about 2 months last year. I wouldn’t sweat it. I’m 100% expecting it to be available when I’m there for stout week. Not sure about CSV though.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  39. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

@Affinity i agree with a lot of what @Vitacca said: eat a good lunch before hand, drink plenty of water and if you’re not that into the pour or impressed with it don’t feel obligated to finish it. i think it’s definitely possibly not to get absolutely shit-ripped (although i do acknowledge the challenges in accomplishing this goal).

OakvilleKGB and Affinity like this.
  40. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (157) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Praying to the beer gods that CS vibes makes it to Saturday. Tried to get a guy I've traded with to grab me a bottle to be safe but he hasn't been out to SP for a while. Would be so like me to have a beer available to go for weeks after then run out the day before I get there.

OakvilleKGB and jamshard2mash like this.