Side Project / Shared (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (2,772) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Montmorency is good. We Are You is really good.

2. KUbeerfan

KUbeerfan Initiate (66) Feb 9, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Agree on We Are You. It is the quintessential SP saison. Exactly what I wanted when I bought it.

3. SaucerfulOfSecrets

SaucerfulOfSecrets Initiate (139) Jul 13, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

got to check it out last night, very sweet setup and they seem to have the tiered reservation system down to a science. Hopefully people follow the rules and dont ruin it for the rest of us. They just released another batch of Grapevines, its so damn good. going to be a great summer beer.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  4. ewwiccc

ewwiccc Initiate (160) Jan 12, 2016 California
    Trader

cocovibes b3 packs are "Coming Soon"

$80 and $90 (SdB or RBdP)

5. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (148) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

$40 non BA stout. We're getting up there.

KevSal, flat_lander and rmpic82 like this.
  6. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

finally! so, is CV $40 or did SdB get pushed up to $25?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  7. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (105) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Looks like you’ve got to pick a specific pick-up day on this one again. I get the logistical reasons they’d do that but definitely makes finding a proxy more of a pain.

OakvilleKGB and Affinity like this.
  8. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (196) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Society Trader

From an economic perspective I still believe the cost is too low. Considering these package will sell out in ~45 seconds, the demand obviously still far outweighs the supply. From an economic perspective Side Project should be charging more to reduce the demand and get to an equilibrium where supply = demand.

As a consumer, I agree that it is getting up there for a non-BA stout. But, for me Coco b2 > BA Coco so I am all in on this. COCO VIBES!!!!!

9. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i’m thinking SdB is up to $25 & RBdP is up to $30 which means CV is $30. just a guess though.

rmpic82 and Affinity like this.
  10. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (485) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

Love that Razz BdP. Strong package!

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  11. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,387) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

With so many choices for days, plus two packages (and proxy, no proxy)... this is going to be a mad scramble to try and find an available slot after striking out on first choice.

I really liked Coconut Vibes b2 even though I'm not even that big of an adjunct fan (especially in non barrel aged stouts). If b3 is anything close to b2, this is worth it.

KevSal, OakvilleKGB, Bond111 and 4 others like this.
  12. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (729) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought my time slot doesn't necessarily have to match up with my proxies time slot? For example, me and my friend both win, and he's the one driving down to grab everything. He chooses no proxy and a Monday slot, I choose proxy and Tues slot. He can still pick me up, no?

13. bread_c

Trader

Based on the way it’s written that it needs to be picked up on the day purchased I wouldn’t think so. That’s how it was for Langst last year, not sure how it worked for Brooklyn Vibes and Fuzzy. Most of the other releases have been the “next 7 days” style

flat_lander and OakvilleKGB like this.
  14. CypressPaul1

CypressPaul1 Initiate (28) Nov 24, 2019 Georgia
    Trader

Perfect timing! Driving up from Atlanta on Thursday to pick up a lot of stuff.

15. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (107) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I get that Side Project beer is amazing, but this is getting crazy expensive. I just moved to St. Louis but if the prices keep rising I will have it even less than I did when I lived 2 hours away.

16. davidtarnow

davidtarnow Initiate (102) Mar 19, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I don't see where the prices are rising...it's a three beer package.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (196) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Society Trader

You can always wait until the cellar and brewery reopen and show up for draft pours when these beers are available on draft. No one is forcing you to buy every release @dlcarst. While most people understand your sentiment, it is a one-sided feeling. You are not taking into account Side Project's perspective in this. Think about the issues Side project deals with: paying staff fair wages, paying for material to make beer, paying rent on multiple buildings (not sure if they own or not), and seeing profiteers sell their bottles for marked up prices on the secondary market. They should be able to charge whatever price people will pay for the beer.

People don't complain that Dom Perignon is $200 a bottle. People either accept that they have the resources to drink Dom, or they drink Barefoot bubbly. Much in the same way, people should not complain that Coco Vibes packages are $80-90. You can always find some decent stuff around town that won't break the bank. Just find some friends that will share their coco vibes with you or wait until it gets served on draft (some time far into the future). I'd be happy to share an on-site bottle with you if the cellar ever reopens.

18. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (148) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Coco vibes b2 was $25. raspberry BDP was $25, SdB is $20.

If we’re going based off of those, the Raspberry BdP bundle should be $75 and the SdB should be $65. The extra $15 is coming in somewhere, and all of the stouts and barley wines have been getting a price creep the past year, so it sure looks like it’s Coco Vibes.

SP is my favorite brewery but it’s hard to ignore a 60% price increase over 18 months.

#1338 Heisenbrew, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  19. flat_lander

Society Trader

Pandemic tax. It's fine. Glad my favorite breweries have been able to stay afloat during all of this, and that they've been able to maintain their livelihood. At least that's my perspective.

20. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (61) Jun 3, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

I agree with everything you said but I really hope we don't start using wine prices as the measuring stick for what we should expect good beer to cost.

KevSal likes this.
  21. eppie82

Trader

It's going in that direction. But just like wine, quality options will be available both at higher and lower pricing levels.

jaysker95 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  22. bhatch729

bhatch729 Initiate (196) Nov 8, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

and that second building, the Cellar, has been closed since the pandemic hit, so they're paying for a location that is making them zero revenue, on top of the other things you mentioned like continuing to pay staff

OakvilleKGB and flat_lander like this.
  23. gibgink

gibgink Champion (872) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I've always looked at SP as a higher quality product, commanding a higher price. While I don't agree with the price increases, at the end of the day it is a business, and I'm not the owner. Sadly, Cory could charge even more and the product would still sell out in under a minute.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  24. CypressPaul1

Trader

I’m pretty sure Cory owns the Cellar and brewery properties outright. Paid cash is what I heard. Not sure about the barrel warehouse but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the same story. A little bird told me that they were working on a third tasting room location right before the pandemic hit, so I think that’s the only real liability the business might have right now.

bhatch729 and Affinity like this.
  25. ryerson82

ryerson82 Initiate (47) Apr 12, 2015 Kansas
    Trader

Just an FYI this is not accurate.

I do think we will see a point where the pricing gets too high, but the issue is as long as secondary on these beers continues to be 3-5x's retail it won't matter. Too many people sell and trade them for profit. There is a breaking point, but I'm not sure what it is for SP. I mean Anchorage has Blessed on Tavour for $50 for a 375ml and it's still available days later. It's an insane beer, but that price is REAL hard to justify for most.

26. bhatch729

Trader

looks like the pickup date options changed to just this week for the coco vibes packages

OakvilleKGB and WoolEnthusiast like this.
  27. bhatch729

Trader

they're live

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  28. bhatch729

Trader

both proxy and no proxy CV/RBDP packages are sold out

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  29. bread_c

Trader

Ugh, totally missed that they added Tuesday as a day and one of my local friends is going to be there tomorrow

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  30. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (780) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I just spent $417 on beer today. FML.

31. gibgink

gibgink Champion (872) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Congrats?

32. flat_lander

Society Trader

That feels like a glass half empty perspective there buddy.

33. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (780) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

My glass is always full bro.

34. Ericstl6

Ericstl6 Initiate (111) May 26, 2008 Missouri
    Trader

Nope.

There's a lot wrong here. I'll just leave it at you shouldn't rely on "what you heard" and "little birdies" when attempting to pass along information about someone's business and livelihood.

35. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,063) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

you’ve been waiting for this guy for a while, and you’ve even passed on some bottles, so i think your right on target :+1:

man 32 minutes until sell out. that has to be a new record lol

36. eppie82

Trader

Scored an allotment with Saison du Blé for Thursday. This time I’m coming at 4PM!

37. Bond111

Bond111 Initiate (186) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Completely missed this...Was outside picking mushrooms from my yard, as I didn’t want my 12 week old pup to try and eat them, as I have no idea if they are poisonous or not...

Congrats to those who got it!

*Edit* They put up more of the CV/SdB and was able to snag one!!

#1357 Bond111, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Beerbom, ErrFord, OakvilleKGB and 3 others like this.
  38. stmoorea

stmoorea Initiate (68) Mar 10, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Thrilled to try Coconut Vibes for the first time. Was it not limit 1pp? I wouldn't have tried for more than one, but was just curious because it doesn't appear to state a limit.

Any locals still looking, they put the $80 pkg back up for Friday pick-up.

OakvilleKGB and KevSal like this.
  39. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (260) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Seems like the possibility of a third location has been public knowledge since September 2018.

https://www.timesnewspapers.com/web...cle_3ef6669f-c577-5b9f-91ea-aca1d5ccd220.html

"The two-phase historic renovation calls for a coffee house, a brewery and a restaurant. The project's anchor is Side Project Brewery, one of the region's fastest-growing microbreweries. A food court with a garden will provide year-round seating for brewery, restaurant and coffee house patrons."

Could be "fake news" I guess, but these rumblings have been around for a while. It takes a long time to get the necessary plans and permits in place to build out and operate a microbrewery. I know, I've done it a few times with the backing of a multi-billion macro and it was still a pain in the ass.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  40. CypressPaul1

Trader

I hope they put up more Raspberry BdP. I was only able to grab the SdB package.

OakvilleKGB and Bond111 like this.