Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,180) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

CDC8 is amazing! Wish I bought a second before it sold out. It’s legit

2. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,118) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

it’s still available ip at the cellar along with a few other items previously sold out online (DH Marietta being one of them)

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (890) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I am sure that without much effort you can obtain another while completing another trade - AND at or below retail cost, since it was included in a package, and thus a glut exists for trade.

4. KevSal

Trader

thats a very good point, maybe i should send some feelers out before people realize how good it is haha

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  5. MattOC

MattOC Defender (662) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Happy Monday. Cheers!

[​IMG]

6. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (116) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

Dude, I wanna hear the review!:grimacing:

7. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

big barrel with subtle notes of needing to restock on bananas :wink:

8. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Initiate (110) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

So, anyone have a clue or uneducated guess on what is being released this weekend? My completely random guess is that it’s a shared beer and is BA Coffee shop vibes.

9. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,471) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Uneducated guess: Rye BBT batch 2.

10. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

11. MattOC

Trader

Bottle is finished. I'm not the best and or most eloquent reviewer, but here goes. Sorry if it's boring/not useful. In no particular order, but things that stood out to me.

Just over two hours with the full glass. The remaining legs of this continue to generate these droplets of liquid in the glass. Put it down, it resets. Can't get enough/all of it. Delicious.

It's at its best at room temp.

Pros: 375 ml. Easy bottle to take down in an afternoon and doesn't leave me legless. Cons: 375 ml. I wanted so much more. A hard glass to put down after each sip.

Knowing the ABV beforehand, I couldn't have picked it out even knowing the barrel treatment/length. Smooth, zero sense of that 16%.

That barrel treatment stood out to me the most, it's excellent. Long finish, lingers. Edgy spiciness. Mouthfeel is pretty much exactly what I want in a BA stout. Rich chocolate for me. Never full or "too much." At that room temperature, black cherry, hints of plum.

Been gone for about a hour and I'm still thinking about it. Wonderful beer. I really wish I had another bottle(s) or a couple of more hours with the second half of a 750.

Thanks again to @fo1ksguitar for picking the package up and getting it here safely.

Cheers

12. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

BA Safe Terminal

13. Beer_Economicus

Trader

That will be a cool test. Can a Barrel treatment turn a 3.65 rated BW into a stellar beer. (Assuming it is the same batch, just BAd.)

Harrison8 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  14. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,227) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

(Proceeds to write extremely eloquent / useful review)

15. gibgink

gibgink Savant (934) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Nothing can save Safe Terminal. Not even an overrating at 3.65.

16. KevSal

Trader

oh hello there Biere Blanche B4

17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

It’s bad. Every time I see a post like this all I hear is, “Oh hello there new package beer”.

18. MattOC

Trader

Lines up as this was from beeslo’s IG stories on 5/6, previewing the blend.

I’ve had blends 1 and 3. Really enjoyed both. Classic style with that SP twist of wine barrel treatment.

[​IMG]

19. KevSal

Trader

Oh hello there Pulling Nails #14!

this one sounds delicious

20. KUbeerfan

KUbeerfan Initiate (71) Feb 9, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Black & Wild B3 to go @ the cellar! Go get some dark fruits and visit their IG for more info :slight_smile: cheers BA

21. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (141) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Gonna wait on that Pulling Nails until it eventually ends up in a package!

22. SeekerOfLight

SeekerOfLight Initiate (7) Jun 25, 2021

Can someone explain to me why the packages still exist other than it being a complete money grab? They were touted as a way to help Side Project pay their employees and bartenders during covid back in 2020. Cory mentioned the loss in revenue due to people not being able to come in and have pours or on-site bottles. Feels like the Illinois tollroads that were supposed to be paid off in X number of years....

23. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

ISO news about what Saturday’s release actually is

24. Ckgibu

Trader

Please oh please NOT the next batch of BA Coco Vibes…unless it also comes to LC :grimacing:

25. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i’m thinking (hoping) we’ll know by tomorrow afternoon

Harrison8 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  26. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Lol toll road being paid off

27. KevSal

Trader

I think the last reason given that holds weight is it deters flippers. So I guess if someone buys one and his wife, and his neighbor for the sole purpose of flipping, It’ll be 12 bottles and spending $400 plus for 3 bottles to flip for bourbon

28. jmlhd7

Trader

Was this actually a reason given by Cory? or is this others speculation on the reason?

Harrison8 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  29. Readmorevols

Readmorevols Initiate (69) Jun 5, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

Well if he allows someone not present at SP to purchase a bottle (that would also sell out in person if he so chose to release it that way) that loss in revenue still exists......

It's his business. Don't buy the package if it bothers you, someone else absolutely will.

30. jmlhd7

Trader

I think the point being made was the packages were explained as necessary when they weren't open and I think many were under the impression when they reopened packages would be a thing of the past. Now they are open 7 days a week between the two locations and packages are still even more prevalent.

31. Readmorevols

Trader

I don't recall anyone saying that. Again, selling stouts online didn't exist before. He could sell every single one in Maplewood. And people would be there buying onsite bottle and getting pours while they did..... If a stout is sold on webstore those are revenues he/his staff are missing out on. That's all pretty easy to follow.

OakvilleKGB and Affinity like this.
  32. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,209) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'm not so sure that's true anymore. Locals seem to take the ability to try damn near any release on-site for weeks on end that it's probably no exaggeration to say that 50% of the typical hype crowd wouldn't even care to line up for bottle releases anymore. IMO larger volumes of bottles would hang around for longer than they'd prefer.

Couple that with the fact that the entire limited beer scene is taking a continuous, slow motion nosedive thanks to the same recipe so many breweries are seeing around the country: there's quality barrel aged beer to be found around every corner, and many consumers simply can't keep up anymore.

Despite the pandemic, or maybe because of it, a lot of cellars have actually swelled over the last two years. More geeks seem to be looking to consolidate and offload rather than acquire and accumulate. Especially those trying to cut calories and waste lines while shifting focus to whiskey and wine.

#1713 Sabtos, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  33. Readmorevols

Trader

Well the IP release this weekend will be a good barometer to that opinion. A lot of what you wrote is true but so far SP is more of the exception than the rule. I don't think they'd have any trouble moving any on site BA stout release over a weekend. That would result in said on site pours/bottles and to go sales.

Harrison8, OakvilleKGB and Affinity like this.
  34. Ckgibu

Trader

I do remember part of the discussion about packages being related to the fact that they were closed; however, no mention was ever made that that was going to change when they did, in fact, reopen. That thought was definitely a premature belief made by some at that moment. However, @Readmorevols is correct in that this is Cory & Karen's business, and outside of their employees and potentially some investors, they don't really owe it to anyone to run it a particular way. They are creating a product that has significant demand; and frankly, they're not stupid and ignorant to what a lot of their stouts/barleywines fetch on the secondary market, which, as mentioned above, is lost profit.

I personally think SP has does an incredible job navigating the balance & transition from a small, niche brewery into a growing & sustainable business model. Excluding LC, they continue to support their loyal local customers w/ frequent access to all their beers, including their incredible BA stouts/barleywines, package-free, w/ the only caveat that they need to be consumed on-site. They've also been doing cellar in-person to-go sales, and are restarting their in-person brewery stout releases.

Then, they made the amazing decision to allow people from across the country (& world) to participate in purchasing their beers, but again, w/ the caveat that some of the more desirable beers being a part of a package to help showcase some less sought after styles. BTW, it's not like the beers you're getting in the package are trash. Whether that was done to help curb some of the secondary price gouging that was going on, who knows, but let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago where this option didn't even exist.

And look, I get it, we want prices to remain the same, but that's not realistic, especially w/ the current economy & out of control inflation. The packages aren't cheap, but again, it's not like you're paying all that cost for one single beer, unlike some other breweries. At the end of the day, they're not going to make everyone happy, that's impossible. But cheers to Cory, Karen, & the entire SP crew for at least trying!

35. Readmorevols

Trader

To your point though, I'm not driving the 7 hours up. Because i think it will be BA Ambiente and I'll be able to attain it rather easily. I'll be rather upset with my self if its RBBT2 though.

Harrison8 and OakvilleKGB like this.
  36. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (157) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Happened in Virginia Beach. The Norfolk-VA beach toll road was paid off and now it’s free. That’s the exception and not the rule. I remember I80 in Ohio’s contract was up and they said it we close it we will have to raise taxes to cover the cost or we can keep it a toll road and it’s still a toll road.

OakvilleKGB and rmpic82 like this.
  37. Chilmer

Chilmer Zealot (599) May 22, 2018 Iowa
    Trader

Below is what @coryking said about it in an old thread.

“Our new model is the COVID model, hoping one day, we can adjust to some kind of new normal that is both on-site releases and maybe some online releases.”

I think with their move to a better online system, it’s become easier for them. So I think maybe became certainly. In the thread he also mentions people getting to try beers they normally couldn’t (me being one). More in person to-go packages have increased as time goes on, and now the in person BA Stout release.

It seems to me they are figuring out what works best for them and listening to feedback from customers. They know they can’t make everyone happy, but are mixing it up more and more in attempt to please the majority.

38. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (980) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

ISO all flippers' unwanted white labels. You can drop them off on my doorstep, no questions asked. Because I want society to be a better place.

39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,209) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Of course. It'll be dependent upon batch size, but otherwise, agreed, I'm interested to see what the weekend brings.

And SP may have been the exception to the rule for a longer span of time than what dozens of other early hype breweries enjoyed across the country, but that can only last so long, as those breweries can attest to. In particular, upon expanding or successfully making their limited or barrel aged programs more accessible, perceived hype has never failed to drop, even if quality remained consistent or even improved.

Yet shit does happen, and the quality of product some breweries put out may not always entirely hold up, as subjectively was the case during certain spans for breweries like Firestone Walker, Goose Island or Bruery. Still, breweries like Revolution, Cigar City, Fremont, and several others continue to put out exceptional barrel aged product, some of which gets significant distribution, yet they've simmered down to minimal or almost no hype, outside of perhaps an annual release, if that. Where insta-sellout was once taken for granted, it's now management of inventory, and making sure you aren't over leveraging resources and taking up space at the expense of cheaper, more movable product.

Many other breweries began utilizing the online proxy method for limited releases during the pandemic, while also expanding output only slightly before Side Project seems to have, and they are finding that they can't look back at this point because the demand isn't there locally. The definitions of success, quality and hype don't always entirely overlap, but at some point, it will begin to feel like a top-heavy pursuit, if it hasn't already, as people can only drink so much liquid malt, and something's got to give. It's a good problem for the consumer to have, but it also explains why packages remain when almost no one else does that. The outsiders looking in still view the malty bottles more as a commodity, and they are keeping that engine fueled.