Side Project / Shared (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bread_c, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,130) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Gin BdP with ST is christmas in a bottle

2. MattOC

MattOC Defender (663) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Torn here since this year, end of last, was my first (maybe/likely only) Anabasis experience and I loved it, but I’ve drank coming up on a case of SJ this year and I got it cheaper locally than they were selling it at the brewery. Imo, hard to beat value and an excellent beer for a ba bw that’s pretty available.

3. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Initiate (110) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I could even stomach the price jump in most cases, if I didn’t have to pay for another beer I don’t really want on top of the already increased price of the beer I actually want.

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Or the brewery goes the opposite direction and turns their 22oz bottles into 12oz bottle releases.

Looking at your Firestone Walker.

5. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (981) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Or a 4 pack of VSOJ when it was released.

And agreed, I opened my Gin BdP with Spruce Tips over the weekend. Spectacular beer. I could drink that and La Ruche all summer. Been side eyeing my bottle of Gin SdF ever since...

6. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

I have to say I’m not mad about Biere Blanche being bundled

rmpic82, TNCraftBeer, KevSal and 5 others like this.
  7. MattOC

MattOC Defender (663) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed. When @bread_c posted the package details above I thought that was a nice two bottle package. I really enjoyed the two blends of BB I’ve had and now it has me second guessing a purchase tomorrow.

8. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,471) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Straight Jacket is a great value for such a great beer. Good format, and even if traded for/proxied it's also the most affordable packaging (cans that is). There's no negatives to that beer.

9. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (981) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

My gut would like a word with you...

capnmike, Harrison8, KevSal and 7 others like this.
  10. smalony

smalony Initiate (92) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

I have no interest in a coconut beer, but I am definitely looking forward to buying low on all the Biere Blanche that people end up with.

11. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (157) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

All the people upset they missed out on whatever $150 package that sold out in 30 seconds is why prices continue to increase. Capitalism.

12. smalony

Trader

Yep. If you're sick of packages, the monkey's paw can always curl and bring everyone the Side Project single-bottle dutch auction. Dissertations in fomo-economics will be written about it.

13. gibgink

gibgink Savant (934) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

To somewhat celebrate batch 2, I finally cracked my b1. Stained my glass pretty damn good. Probably going to stain my britches later tonight with the resulting stout outgassing.

14. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (892) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

@
    I mean, yea. But do you know of any brewery that has come even kind of close to raising prices as much as Side Project? And I mean on a % basis, not even absolute cost (because so think it’s obvious SP would whallop that stat). No one is arguing prices are up, but the price increases are unmatched by any other brewery I know of in the entire market. If you have an example of other breweries that have raised their prices as much (or as frequently), I’d love to know.

shadetree67 likes this.
  15. Beer_Economicus

Trader

If memory serves, a Dutch auction is what most people might think of as a “reverse” auction. So the price starts high and falls until the first person is willing to pay that price.

If this was 3 or 4 years ago, I think a Dutch auction would have been interesting, because the prices would be sky high. I’m not convinced that is true anymore, particularly given even in a repeated games scenario, where the winner doesn’t re-enter the game, none of the locals are paying that crazy price, and neither are most of the people that want to try it otherwise. It’s just a small fraction. I don’t think - given the quantity produced - that BBT would really be above $100 in the end. I think the market clearing price for the last unit would be vastly under the secondary market for every single bottle sold currently.

-And, if this is a repeated games scenario, and we have learning, people pretty quick are going to figure out that they don’t need to jump in early and buy. There is plenty of quantity available…be patient and the price will keep dropping.

smalony likes this.
  16. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (254) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Damn, why are folks so mad?

Y'all need to jump on the lager train if you want to save money.

Haven't you heard, lager is the new stout..

17. jmlhd7

jmlhd7 Initiate (110) Dec 22, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

I've done that, but mainly I've just resorted to crushing some Busch Lattes for the summer.

18. Ckgibu

Ckgibu Initiate (116) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

I thought Smooj was the new stout?:grimacing:

19. Ckgibu

Trader

Correction, lager is the new stout. Smooj is the new BA stout!

20. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (254) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Yeah WHERE THE F*$% is our Shared/Smooj collaboration???

Smoojie Vibes

For this version of Smooj we barrel aged the base Smooj in French Oak barrels from our friends at TWCP and added a thoughtful amount of peaches and pears. When Karen and I started Side Project out of the back of Perennial we never thought it would bring us here. We are so honored to share this new beer with you.

21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

But…what’s the package? +/- 3 other Smooj?

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  22. Ckgibu

Trader

I’d buy MULTIPLE packages if the other Smooj were Pina Colada…not so much if strawberry banana

Thirst_trappist and KevSal like this.
  23. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (238) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

See: Trillium

24. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Thanks. Mind offering up some numbers? I genuinely have no idea. Past or present.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  25. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

feel like they’ve been rockin’ the $22 4pk for a good number of years now

Harrison8 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  26. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Aspirant (231) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Speaking of smooj: kind of surprised we haven’t really seen a fruited gose or anything from Shared yet. Shaeson doesn’t count.

27. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

what about Royal Grove? can’t remember what all that had in it but seemed like a gose base…

how about a Berliner Weisse from shared? i wouldn’t mind that for the summer heat.

28. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Man, I’d love to see the quality of a Shared Fruited Gose or Berliner. It’s be dreamy, and I’d have to imagine it would sell out quicker than most of the other beers they release. It would be awesome.

P.S. looking for a good watermelon Gose. Had one a few years ago, and been chasing that dragon ever since. Haven’t come across another (the zebra beer from founders doesn’t count).

29. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

haven’t had it so can’t speak to its quality but…

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/600075/

30. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (238) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't have time to go down the rabbit hole, but current prices (all 4-packs) which are up a few dollars in the last few years:

Lagers: $15-16
    Pale Ales: $15-20
    IPA: $19-20
    DIPA: $20-24
    Berliner Weisse: $22

31. bberzina

bberzina Initiate (88) Mar 24, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

Southern Grist does a yearly watermelon gose called Sugar Baby every summer. I usually take down a case or 2.

32. bberzina

bberzina Initiate (88) Mar 24, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

They called it a tart beer if I remember right, but it definitely had sea salt in it.

OakvilleKGB and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  33. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (103) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUpwo7dlAZj/
    "Our newest release from @sharedbrew, Royal Grove will debut tonight on draft and in 4pk/16oz Cans @sideprojectcell! This Tart Beer was naturally acidified and refermented on Pink Guava then finished with Hibiscus and French Grey Sea Salt."
    [COLOR=rgba(var(--i1d,38,38,38),1)][/COLOR]

34. Beer_Economicus

Trader

While those prices may be up, those prices don't really look too abnormal to me. Everything looks $2-3 / pack high, but nothing too abnormal. $5-6/IPA seems common now adays, although on the pricier side (...maybe? for the market as a whole?).

Harrison8 and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  35. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (157) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Package was reasonably priced I thought

36. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (104) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Agreed - pretty easy (and still up). Ended up with 2.

37. smalony

Trader

Oh sure. The one I didn't want is a reasonable price.

Damn it. In for 1.

38. bhatch729

bhatch729 Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Big batch over 2200 left

39. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (150) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I thought it was pretty reasonable too - grabbed one. Now I just need another trip to StL to pick it up.

Harrison8, OakvilleKGB and Affinity like this.
  40. SeekerOfLight

SeekerOfLight Initiate (7) Jun 25, 2021

keep telling me how $45 plus tax for a non BA beer is reasonable ….