Release Sierra Nevada 2018 Celebration

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by MikeP64, Oct 27, 2018.

1. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (155) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Just hit stores in SC yesterday. Had a great day at work-wanted some special beers for the weekend-went to my local Bottles and there it was-a big ass stack of SN Celebration....SWEEEET.
    Package date was 10/2/18. Tasted a bit more malty this year but still awesome.It's my favorite seasonal.

Billet, Genuine, AlcahueteJ and 9 others like this.
  2. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (601) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Just picked up my 1st 12 of the season last night. Fantastic as always.

Lucular, Genuine, MikeP64 and 5 others like this.
  3. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (137) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

I know I'm in the vast minority on this one, but the only way I'd be less excited is if Lost Coast released a Nut Brown Mild.

ESHBG and ONovoMexicano like this.
  4. elohim

elohim Initiate (189) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Is the cinnamon overbearing this year?

Alexmc2, YamBag, Nick_V and 15 others like this.
  5. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (324) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I haven’t ever understood the love this beer gets either. To me its an old-school malty but hoppy beer, basically a more malty version of SNPA. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that and I don’t mind drinking one, but I’m always surprised that so many people on this site get excited about it every year. I’d rather see people get excited about this than some marshmallow ice cream sugar stout though, so carry on I guess!

6. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (109) Jan 8, 2015 California

We'll carry on just fine, beernuts. It's just as delicious as always and a reminder that once again we are entering the holiday season.

YamBag, Minnebrew, John1985 and 12 others like this.
  7. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,821) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Hater. haha.

8. readyski

readyski Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I think it has to do with the fact it's been around for decades. And still tastes great! As an added bonus it doesn't have to be fresh.

9. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,894) Oct 14, 2009 Texas

Best Celebration I ever had were the ones in cans from the Fresh hop variety pack last year. I hope they're canning some again this year.

EnronCFO, MikeP64 and waltari like this.
  10. frkonalsh2003

frkonalsh2003 Initiate (60) Dec 26, 2016 California

Celebration is the only case of beer I know will buy. Maybe two this year.

EnronCFO, John1985, Lucular and 10 others like this.
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (220) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I never got the hype with this beer but I do enjoy it at least once during the holiday season nonetheless. Also, as the years go on I am finding that I would take a Celebration over the latest fruity/oniony/garlicky IPA so there is that I suppose.

Nick_V, beardown2489, MikeP64 and 3 others like this.
  12. zid

zid Champion (899) Feb 15, 2010 New York

You say that as if it would be a bad thing. :slight_smile:

13. waltari

waltari Initiate (55) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

It's just a solid brew at an insane price point ($13 for the 12pk).

14. zid

zid Champion (899) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I think you're right at the end. Count your blessings. As far as I'm concerned, you don't have to like Celebration to recognize that people still getting some excitement over an "old" beer is exactly what craft beer needs these days.

Tdizzle, GetMeAnIPA, Billet and 16 others like this.
  15. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (655) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Or $21 here.

It’s a beer that I think is ok but for some reason it feels syrupy to me. Bought some last year but I’m out this year.

Might grab a few snow packs if I get to Delaware

Enjoy

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (739) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

There are a lot of things that I get excited for that aren't the newest, trendiest, or most in vogue things around.

Like some Dewey's Moravian sugar bread, a homemade pumpkin pie with real/fresh pumpkin in the fall, Celebration hits my buttons. It will come and go with the season.....and I wouldn't decorate the tree without it.

This years is solid.

17. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (739) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Hype is such a subjective concept. I believe the anticipation of an annual treat is how most "likers" view it. Much the way I look at Oktoberfest beers.

#17 surfcaster, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Minnebrew, Kb024, GetMeAnIPA and 4 others like this.
  18. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,674) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I will be picking my first case up right before Thanksgiving, as always. Solid beer, very festive, available, inexpensive and basically always the same.

Lets hope Anchor is better than last year.

Tdizzle, GetMeAnIPA and MikeP64 like this.
  19. xPrestigious

xPrestigious Initiate (64) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Any word on SWFL yet? I'm pretty sure Publix is chock full o' Celebration.

20. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (535) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I echo a lot of the same sentiments about this seasonal: It's a reminder the holidays are around the corner, it's consistently really good and readily available for the next 3 months and best of all, it's like $1/beer?!

I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival!

PatrickCT, Tdizzle, Lucular and 4 others like this.
  21. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (220) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Fair point but I have been around for a while so when I hear about Celebration I think about the earlier days and it was a pretty popular/hyped beer back then.

If it were that price near me I would be excited too ha ha

22. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,835) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

First 6er of the new/first 2018 batch, tastes delicious as always.

Tdizzle, ben4unc and MikeP64 like this.
  23. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,996) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

It's the bottle. We all want to be sitting in that cabin with an unlimited supply of Celebration Ale while the snow falls outside. Plus it's a great beer.

User_Name, Nachojon, Mongrel and 25 others like this.
  24. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (273) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

You nailed it!

25. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (212) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Yessir! It is a really good beer, to my tastes, but everything you said is true. It is one of the beers that is just a signpost in the passage of another year.

Also, this is why I HATE Sierra Nevada's newer labels. The window with the landscapes/art were some of the best in the biz.

YamBag, Tdizzle, Tilley4 and 7 others like this.
  26. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (190) Nov 8, 2009 New York

It would actually be pretty awesome if they did. Dying breed of a great style.

Tdizzle, zid and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (279) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

Smooth, balanced, and consistently reliable, year after year. Hey, kind of like us.

Tdizzle, MikeP64 and bigstar87 like this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (828) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It's not my favorite IPA, but it's always good. And your statement really nailed it for me. It stands out so much more with all the New England IPAs around, it's a breath of fresh air.

Picked up a six pack this past weekend.

Tdizzle, ESHBG, jakecattleco and 2 others like this.
  29. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (228) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I also truly hate the new SN generic label art. It gives the impression they don't think that beer will last so why bother putting any effort into the packaging. The original labels are pretty classy - something I associate with the brand, the new labels do not give me that impression. @SierraTerence do you have any insight on the new generic labels? Will some old favorites get that treatment too? The recent Kolsch lost it's window frame label art for a clip art cityscape.

30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,611) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I think it's a good beer, but I don't turn black flips for it. As always I'll buy a 6 or a 12 and probably be done with it. That said I do think it's the best seasonal available which speaks more towards the entries.

ESHBG likes this.
  31. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (180) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

I was at the store yesterday and I couldn't agree with you more. What is going on with their packaging for Sidecar? Yuck.

32. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (228) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Well Sidecar is a beer I wish they would drop from their portfolio so I think the terrible art is perfectly apt in this situation.

BrewsOverHoes, Tdizzle and MikeP64 like this.
  33. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (180) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

I'd be on board with that but I'm sure they know the numbers better than we do. I tried it when it first came out and it just made me miss the normal beers. I was wishing yesterday I could find a six pack of Tumbler.

BrewsOverHoes, Tdizzle and MikeP64 like this.
  34. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (203) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

I'm really afraid that Celebration won't hit here in Louisville before we move to Alexandria mid-November. Regardless, I'll buy it as soon as I see it. Still my favorite IPA out there.

35. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (273) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Georgia or Kentucky?

36. tzieser

tzieser Savant (978) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

As much as I love SN Celebration, I typically go for Deschutes Red Chair or Jubelale when I'm in the market for a regional winter seasonal.

ManBearPat and Spikester like this.
  37. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,193) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

When compared to other IPA's on the market, I'm also in the camp that feels this is just another solid, west coast IPA (not that there's anything wrong with that). My consumption of this beer reflects that I think. Typically, I'll get a glass on tap somewhere in town, and won't buy any bottles. However, when I first started drinking this beer back in the mid 80's (when living in California), SN celebration ale really stood out. Back in the day, I was drinking a lot of SNPA, and there really weren't all that many outstanding IPA's on the market (certainly not many that were bottled). So Celebration Ale was a beer that was widely anticipated and sought after. In the late 80's and early 90's, I was probably going through a case of the beer every season.

Anyway, drinking Celebration Ale now is a nostalgic trip down memory lane, and it continues to be a beer I always look forward to each season. While my tastes have changed considerably since the mid 80's (I can't even recall the last time I had a glass/bottle of SNPA), it's amazing to me that SN celebration still comes across as a well made, easy to appreciate IPA, even after all these years. There's a lot to be said for that I think.

38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,647) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Sierra Nevada Celebration tastes notably different to me each year. I discussed this with @BillManley in the past.

The 'good news' is that I always enjoy this beer every year with some years being 'better' for my palate but the beer is always good and worthy of a purchase.

One year I only purchased a single 6-pack but there was another year where I bought two cases.

Here is to wishing this year is a two case year!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

@SierraTerence

39. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (91) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I look forward to this beer every year. I think what a lot of people don’t understand about the ‘hype’ with this beer is that some of us have been drinking this beer for decades! So there’s a bit of nostalgia when we see this on the shelves. I mean back then we had like 4 decent beers to choose from. So seeing this seasonal beer was just fucking awesome to us!

Also, I think some of the newer beer drinkers would probably like this beer too if it wasn’t referred to as an ‘IPA’ or had the word ‘hop’ anywhere on the label.

Tdizzle, AlcahueteJ, Hoos78 and 3 others like this.
  40. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2007 California

I might have mentioned in another thread... I think this year's Northern Hemisphere is the best we have ever produced and this year's Celebration Ale is right up there with on of my favorite years. Great balance of pine, citrus and rose in the aroma. I usually judge off the rose character and this is why Centennial hops is one of my favorite varieties of hops, when the harvest window is nailed. In addition, the Cascades were a little later than years past and when we selected the lots for purchase, we found then to be delightful.

Okay - I(we) like old school too but an occasional refresh is warranted when we hear people say they skip over our brand as something they have already had, maybe a change will catch their eye. That said, newer brands will be much different than historical branding and a little outside our box (Hazy Little Thing, SierraVeza). We will also be launching a new Pale Ale label. The graphics team has been saying for a long time that our labels have too many layers. Mountain scene, surrounded by botanicals with PALE ALE being lost over the top of all that. Therefore:
    [​IMG]

2019:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]