Sierra Nevada 2018 Snow Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by SunDevilBeer, Nov 27, 2018.

1. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (604) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

https://sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/snowpack

Just picked up over the weekend @ my local. 3 each of:

Pale Ale
    Coffee Stout
    Winter Warmer Lager
    Holiday Haze IPA

I’d had Coffee Stout in the past & enjoyed it. Still good this year.

WWL is sneaky good. Spice content is subtle & not overwhelming. A brown lager is something I’ve never had, & SN pulled it off pretty well (tho I shouldn’t have been surprised).

Holiday Haze IPA has that OJ flavor working in it if that’s your thing. I think I may prefer Hazy Little Thing, but they’re pretty different beers.

Definite re-buy for me.

2. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Almost bought one of these over the weekend but ended up going with something else because SN variety packs usually go on sale a couple times a month and it was full price right now. I plan on getting one of these when they go on sale for sure. I've never had their Winter Warmer or Holiday Haze but it looks like a solid lineup to me although part of me wishes the SNPA were replaced with something darker.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,880) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I just picked up the two new ones in a mix six. I'd love to revisit the coffee stout, but I have too much beer sitting around to buy a 12 pack right now.

Winter Warmer Lager is good, and very... interesting.

Lahey, bigstar87 and Gemini6 like this.
  4. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

If these have not been reformulated then this is a hard pass for me. Very disappointing beers last year, and I was really looking forward to a SN take on a winter warmer

edit: I see the winter warmer is a lager this year

5. SunDevilBeer

I didn’t try the ale last year but I think the lager is really interesting, & initial reviews from others seem to be positive .

Is the hazy IPA called the same as last year? It’s tasty, definitely leans towards the OJ side that many beer fans are seeking nowadays.

Plus always good to get re-acquainted with SNPA when I normally would not.

6. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,407) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Winter Warmer Lager has me interested....just not enough to buy the 12 pack. I did buy the Fall Variety Pack and while I was pleased with it, I still have 4 or 5 beers left in my fridge from it. I imagine similar results if I were to buy this.

7. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (156) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

Winter Warmer was my favorite. Holiday Haze my least. Glad I went with this buy over the six pack Deschutes Jubelale. Sometimes less is more!

8. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (21) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Thought the Warmer was one of the worst SN beers I've had in a long time, would have been better with an ABV closer to 5%.

9. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

It was a solid pack, I enjoyed the beers.

Premo88 likes this.
  10. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (130) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I still haven’t seen the fresh hop pack. Has it been distributed yet? It seems odd that the winter seasonals would hit first.

Jaycase, Premo88 and waltari like this.
  11. waltari

waltari Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Same here, we even never saw the single hop pack here in GA.

elohim likes this.
  12. SunDevilBeer

Great question - I’ll email them, per the website it was supposed to be out in late October. Though I’m clouded by terrific Celebration for now.

13. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,738) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Premium Trader

I'm glad I bought a Snowpack this year. Sierra Nevada rarely disappoints. I almost never buy six-packs of Sierra Nevada throughout the year, but the fall/winter seasonal 12-packs, Narwhal and Celebration have remained staples for me.

The SN Pale Ale reminded me how good it is that I'm on the lookout for some fresh Torpedo next time I go beer shopping.

deanzaZZR, TongoRad, Reema and 3 others like this.
  14. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (357) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

haven't tried the snow pack but I did pick up some narwhal for the first time in a few years and my good gracious that's a good beer. How that is not a sought after imperial stout is beyond me. I'm probably going to grab a case of it so that I can ensure I actually age some

deanzaZZR, Lahey, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  15. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (193) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

I actually saw it at a store yesterday in Chicago, hadn't seen it before that I recall.

16. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,874) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Picking up the Snow Pack later today along with my second Celebration 12-pack of the season. I wasn't a huge fan of either the Holiday Haze IPA or the winter warmer last year so I'm curious to try the new versions.

I guess I'm slacking...I only picked up two 6-packs of Narwhal, planning to age one of them.

Premo88 and stevepat like this.
  17. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,738) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Premium Trader

Narwhal is indeed a candidate for most underrated beers IMO. It's always in my "cellar" (the bottom of my fridge). I really love it starting at about 6 months, and it gets better and better from there. In fact, I like it so much at about 12-18 months that I can't seem to keep a bottle around past 2 years.

I try to buy at least one 6-pack each year to drink the following year. I'd buy more if I had more room in my cellar. :slight_smile:

TongoRad and stevepat like this.
  18. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I like expedition stout slightly more, but there's room in my fridge for both:slight_smile: I got a sixer of narwhal this year, usually don't see it much around my parts.

stevepat and Premo88 like this.
  19. SunDevilBeer

I received a reply from SN that the Fresh Hop 12 pack is working its way across the country & should be available everywhere within 2 weeks.

20. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,213) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you. Their beer locator has been offline for quite some time. Will have to resort to other measures.

21. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I drink Harpoon Winter Warmer and its pretty meh so I hope the SN Winter Warmer is better.

22. stevepat

Trader

It's been some years since I got to enjoy expedition. Bell's big dark beers are one of the things I miss most about michigan. Supposedly we will be getting Bell's up my way some day but for now I have to make do with what I get

Lahey likes this.
  23. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (538) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I was expecting it to be along those lines but it really isn't. For me, it was so mild I wasn't even sure there were any spices in it at all.

It was actually a bit of a tricky beer to get a handle on but I did enjoy them. And I agree with those who prefer Hazy Little Thing to the Holiday Haze as well.

24. waltari

waltari Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

We just got it here in GA and it's delicious !

25. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (780) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Where's Barrel Aged Narwhal?!

26. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,072) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Solid pack, I think. The coffee stout and the PA, are my faves. The WW was a lot like a doppel bock, malty and sweet. The IPA, not bad; to me it had an aspirin like taste, but did have a fair citrus quality.

27. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm sure you're not suffering too bad with all the breweries out that way. You get nice weather too... We have to drink expedition stout to survive the winter up here:wink:

28. stevepat

Trader

haha ya I don't miss the winters. We went camping down south around thanksgiving and it was 70 degrees and 'chilly' in the evening. When I got back up to where I live it was raining and got down into the 40s at night. Now there's some stout weather for ya :sunglasses:

Lahey likes this.
  29. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (224) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

I'm a big fan of the Warmer, the coffee stout is solid and fresh SNPA is always nice. I'll try the hazy IPA maybe tonight but its not my favorite style, could've gone for Ruthless again :grin:

thesherrybomber likes this.