Sierra Nevada Changes, Rumors & News (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by steveh, Jul 4, 2022.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,574) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Thought I'd start a new thread to funnel some of the off-topic discussions about SN in other threads to a proper portal.

The most recent question that's come up in some other threads is news that SN is discontinuing wide distribution of their seasonal Oktoberfest as of 2022.

Anyone with direct knowledge or a finger on the brewery pulse, please don't hesitate to chime in.

@SierraTerence pinged once again.

2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (744) Mar 28, 2009 California

Bummer beers like summerfest, Oktoberfest etc don’t sell well enough. Such great beers.

jkane101, Alefflicted, KentT and 16 others like this.
  3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,390) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

If that's true regarding their Oktoberfest, I'd be as disappointed as I was when Summerfest fell to the wayside.

Next, you'll tell me that SN is discontinuing wide distribution of Celebration as of 2022.

Which will be followed by me smashing my head into a wall.

4. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

I miss my spring purchase of Kellerweis as well. It always made spring feel more like spring.

ramseye4, jbakajust1, zestd and 11 others like this.
  5. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (356) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Well we'll all find out soon, summer just started so we should start seeing fall releases any day now.

6. steveh

Society

Well see, that wasn't a seasonal beer -- you should have been drinking it year-round! It's YOUR fault. :wink:

7. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

They're gearing up for the nationwide release of Hazy Okto Thing™.

GuyFawkes, zestd, Mikecap and 24 others like this.
  8. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,095) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (744) Mar 28, 2009 California

that sucks. Sounds like it won’t even have some distro.

10. steveh

Society

Glad (and not glad) you participated.

Now, if we only knew that responder's identity. Chime in SN!

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (983) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

All those online beers are worthless once you add shipping. The porter is good but not the price they ask and shipping on top good. I will just keep buying Bells while it’s around and then move to Founders. I tend to question SN business plan. Originally shipping was free on $75 or more beer. I made a purchase and at free shipping good for me. The beer came in multiple boxes all shipped from CA, I’m on the East coast. Pretty sure they made nothing on this order. I would not have made a purchase w/o low cost or fee shipping.

Enjoy

12. steveh

Society

Well, like I said in another thread, at least I may have one less brand to seek out this season.

I'm lucky in that I have a few locals brewing pretty good Fest and Marzens -- and everyone knows my enthusiasm for the Munich imports.

It's sad that SN might be leaving such a popular season, especially after all the work they did with collabs; admittedly, some I didn't enjoy -- but they were pretty popular.

13. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,116) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I can see why they are doing what they are doing, especially when everyone is buying “Juicy” IPAs, they are a business and need to stay profitable.

Some of the national discounted distributed beers are available online at their website.

In regard to Celebration, I know a lot of young beer drinkers who love that beer around the year end holidays, so my guess would be that they would continue national distribution. But, in this day and age, anything is possible. I would probably drive down to Asheville, NC and pick up a few cases if they discontinued national distribution, but hey, that’s just me. :grinning:

14. steveh

Society

Young beer drinkers? Uh... Old beer drinkers too! :grin:

15. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,116) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Tell me about it! :slight_smile:

I was implying that young “Juicy” IPA drinkers also enjoyed Celebration, thus they would still purchase Celebration. Cheers!

Blogjackets, LarryV, DrOfGolf and 3 others like this.
  16. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,849) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Listened to The Beer Temple Podcast yesterday, covering issues with the Chicago Reyes distributor of Sierra Nevada refusing to stock or distribute fresh product to customers (enforcing first in first out, many times letting beers rot at retail stores well beyond code).

The Reyes Co. warehouse manager refused to abide by the agreement between the store and SN Rep in place for years to have a permanent tap line as long as the store could receive relatively fresh kegs. The Reyes Co. (City Beverage) Warehouse manager banned his team from continuing that arrangement once he found out about it.

(Discussion 1:59:20 - 2:11:40 within the episode; the distribution issue specifically addressed 2:07:40 - 2:10:00)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-beer-temple-podcast/id1017117588?i=1000555767135

I try to buy Reyes distributed beers direct from breweries or just pass on them if I cannot.

https://www.reyesbeerdivision.com/our-distributors

17. steveh

Society

@ChicagoJ -- what an f'ed up mess. Glad I'm out of that radius.

18. Giantspace

I think Celebration is in its last legs too. Used to be that it was easy to get into late winter even very early spring. Recently it’s gone by February if that long. I’m thinking they babe less each year. I bought over 5 cases last year including one case of bottles, I prefer bottles but they were a one time deal as they were gone fast. Might need to buy all in one trip this year if they do a release, could ge gone by the new year.

Enjoy

19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,632) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't think auto-correct could do this, thus where were your eyes when you created this Freudian slip? :grin:

20. Giantspace

No, that’s the wonderful iPhone auto. It’s even worse when I talk out my texts. Sone crazy shot has been sent out as I do not read them before I send.

Enjoy

21. steveh

Society

Sure glad *that* translated correctly! :grin:

22. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,223) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Anything is possible I suppose, but... ahem, really? Unless I'm mistaken, it's still their biggest selling seasonal and has been for some time. The day SN has problems selling celebration, it's probably time to cash in their chips and go home.

23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And I have read/heard that the bestselling, by far, seasonal for Boston Beer Company is their Octoberfest beer. Kinda weird that Sam Adams can successfully sell this type of beer but for Sierra Nevada it is a seasonal that is being dropped.

Cheers!

24. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,560) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Great topic btw. They better never take Bigfoot away from me is all I have to say.

25. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (229) Jan 8, 2015 California

I scratched that classic Pale Ale itch when I picked up a six pack of fresh bottles last week. Great beer! Hopefully Pale can defend its shelf space. I have noticed that Torpedo six packs have been torpedoed and the only option at some places are 12 packs.

26. steveh

Society

I haven't seen Bigfoot in 2 years. :confused:

There's a new bigger retailer that's opened, hopefully they'll have it this season.

27. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,560) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Fingers crossed, hope you find some.

28. Giantspace

Jack,

I would think that’s due to advertising. Ever see SN advertise on TV? Boston beer is usually all over but I have not watched they Telly in a bit so not sure what’s out there now.

Enjoy

29. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,490) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

That really blows if its true they are not going to distribute their Oktoberfest beer.

The next move is probably them being acquired by some big conglomerate like AB Inbev.

30. purephase

purephase Initiate (172) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I'll be a bit disappointed if it's true that they're not doing the Oktoberfest this year but I can hardly say it's a complete shock or outrage. The series has only been around in wide distribution for ~7 years and it seems to me the releases have been increasingly poorly received since the Bitburger collab 3 years ago. I can say from my own habits I had already switched from getting a six-pack or two to just trying a couple of singles every year, in part due to the copious amount of local Oktoberfest options.

I realize it's trendy on this board to bash Sierra for turning their back on mainstays for Hazy Things or other hoppy beers, but I don't think the rotating Oktoberfest was as much of a mainstay as Summerfest, the porter, or the stout were due to its changing year to year, nor do I think it's as big a loss due to all the complaints I've read about recent iterations. FWIW, I was quite fine enjoying Summerfest out of a club store pack last month and I'm still a quite happy with Sierra Nevada compared to other craft breweries operating at a similar national scale.

smutty33, Blogjackets, VABA and 9 others like this.
  31. o29

o29 Devotee (433) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

This is sad to hear. I was always down for at least a few 6 packs of SN's Oktoberfest every year and have enjoyed comparing each year's version to the last (especially when they were collaborations). This past March I was in a local Target and walked past a few 6 packs of last year's Oktoberfest. I was surprised that they still hadn't sold them and that no one had removed them from the shelves -- given this news, I guess I shouldn't have been.

32. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (885) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

This will be a huge disappointment, if true. @SierraTerence please chime in when you get a chance. I’ve messaged Sierra Nevada on Instagram for clarification as well. Fingers crossed.

33. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (474) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I hope they don't do away with distributing their Oktoberfest. That was definitely one of my favorites and something I look forward to each year. I'm sure with the way Celebration sells, that one should be safe!

Blogjackets, Reemer686, VABA and 2 others like this.
  34. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (3,181) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Bigfoot has been very scarce in my area of Central MA. I wasn't able to find it at all since 2019 and it used to be plentiful before that. This year I managed to find one sixpack and that was it.

I'm not much of a fan of their current lineup, like all The Little Things beers, or multiple iterations of Torpedo. Plus finding their beers fresh around here is becoming a rarity. I remember seeing discounted stacks of the Oktoberfest in my local stores last year well past it's prime. I still look forward to Celebration every year and hopefully that doesn't go the way of Bigfoot in my area.

ChicagoJ, SABERG, Blogjackets and 2 others like this.
  35. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (429) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada has disappointed me greatly over the decades.
    They stopped production on most of their classic styles, Porter, Stout, now Oktoberfest/Märzen. I'm sure there are a few others. They weren't the greatest renditions of the styles anyway, so I really don't care. Back in the early 90's, they were more exciting because they were new, different and everywhere. I'm sure Bigfoot is next after Celebration goes.
    Gotta brew every kind of IPA out there for all the hop heads. No hop left behind.
    Hopefully they will keep the Pale Ale? Who knows?

36. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (238) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts

Celebration is my favorite IPA of all time , and a style that’s not easy to find here in New England. I’ll drive to get that beer if I need to, but certainly hope that’s not the case.

37. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (67) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

Another thing about SN, the price jump. I never thought I would see the day that a SNPA 12-pack is more expensive than a 12-pack of Fiddlehead.

ChicagoJ, Blogjackets, LarryV and 2 others like this.
  38. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Champion (885) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

I got the same response:

Hi Adam, Thanks for getting in touch. While we love brewing Oktoberfest we've made the tough decision not to distribute the beer nationally this year. We plan to have it available at the breweries and potentially for sale in our online store and gift shops. Please stay tuned for more details. Cheers!

I can’t get the image upload to work or I’d post the screenshot.

39. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,163) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Wasn’t Bitburger (2019) the last collab they did because of COVID?

Despite being relatively recent, these collabs were definitely my most anticipated releases of each year. I’m very sorry to see them go. (And, while not my favorite, I liked the Bitburger just fine!)

Celebration is on my short list for greatest American beer ever. Would hate to see that go.

40. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (3,181) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Although not typical since other stores in the area have it for around 17.99 a 12 pack- but at Market 32 ...

[​IMG]

Anyone paying that price is out of their mind.