Release Sierra Nevada Fall (2018) Mix Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Apr 15, 2018.

1. zid

zid Champion (860) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I was wondering if that was the driving reason. I'll throw in some unsolicited advice that you should toss aside if it doesn't mesh with your approach. Trying different beers according to how they are classified here is a great goal, but don't get caught up in the idea that a beer is this and not that. In other words, don't view things as absolutes.

Generally speaking, every "rye IPA" is a rye beer and an IPA. Weather or not it gets classified as one or the other is irrelevant and relatively meaningless. Beers aren't literally categorized in two different categories here. Just look at the system as an imperfect (and not static) but very useful way of sorting things. Look at it as boxes you can throw a beer into. That rye IPA can be dumped in either box, but at least it won't get dumped in with the Hefeweizens (although there might be some Roggenbiers in there :wink:).

Don't let that stop you from trying a rye beer that doesn't resemble an IPA if you want that style tick. Although rye beers aren't really a specific "style" so to speak, just a category for beers with rye in them... the real point of the tick is to broaden ones experiences anyway. Good luck and have fun. :beers:

2. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (256) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Thanks for the advice, I am trying different styles/breweries to learn and to avoid the "same ol'". I plan on revisiting some Rye Beers and checking out some new ones.
    I am about to try von Trapp's Dunkel, a new style and brewery for my collection.
    Cheers.

AlcahueteJ and zid like this.
  3. jkrich

jkrich Champion (825) Nov 1, 2001 Florida

I wish Sierra Nevada would bring back Tumbler as a six-pack.

4. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (438) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

I will always be a Sierra Nevada fan but I have to admit that the last several Fall Mix Packs all tasted a bit on the sweet side to me. I stopped purchasing them a couple of years ago because of that.

5. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (304) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I'm up in the air for this one. I enjoy the regular pale. Torpedo was overwhelmingly piney the one time I tried it years ago. I suppose I'll try it again, since everything else looks good.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  6. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (414) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Holy shit, I’m excited for this years fall pack!!! I do wish for flip side but I’m happy to see tumbler back! Usually it's around Mid August before I get excited for fall beers.

redeemer and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (629) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'll buy two packs. I liked tumbler and have been into brown ale the last few falls. Nice to revisit with. Different mindset on Browns.

Always enjoyed the rye , never a big torpedo fan even thought I like piney IPA.

The lager seems like it could be nice as well. Think I might have had it or something similar a bunch of years ago. EDIT...I had this beer in 2015, exactly 4 momths old and enjoyed it. Again, more into lager now then I was so will be nice to try it with a new eye.

Coffee stout ........yes please all winter.

Otra Vez please keep it, still have not tried the new one.

Hop Hunter is one of my favorite SN beers but I never see it with less than 6 months on it. I would buy it at 6 months but not at full price.

Enjoy

8. Riff

Riff Defender (693) May 12, 2016 Virginia

While I didn't need to purchase any more beer, I'd been having a little hankering for a Torpedo when I noticed the fall pack had just arrived. Didn't take my convincing to pick up a pack.

Came home to a little surprise from Sierra Nevada, I had won a backpack cooler from them and it was sitting on my doorstep this afternoon. Just in time for tailgating season. Can't wait to see this thing filled up with Oktoberfest beers.

[​IMG]

Jwhit, FBarber, AlcahueteJ and 19 others like this.
  9. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (108) Jan 8, 2015 California

I saw it at a Safeway in Saratoga (CA) but passed on it as it feels too hot to appreciate Tumbler and Ruthless Rye. I'm sure there will be plenty when I'm ready for it.

raynmoon likes this.
  10. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (414) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

It was 91 here in CT and to my surprise this year, I haven’t seen a single fall type beer on the shelves. I could have sworn that they were out early August last year.

11. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (55) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Why is Torpedo included in this pack? Such a damn waste as I wish they would of replaced it with 3 more of Ruthless to give me the actual IPA I wanted out of this pack.

Damn I miss ruthless 12 packs...

12. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (210) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Flipside is great too, I miss that beer. It was nice to have it back this year in a mixed pack but... Red IPAs don't seem to get much love for whatever reason but I really enjoy them.

BrewsOverHoes, Lucular and raynmoon like this.
  13. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (222) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I really like red IPAs but I didn't care too much for Flipside. It was awhile ago but I think it was too sweet and not piney enough for my taste.

14. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (313) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

How about a mixed lager 12 pack?

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,364) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Wanted to address this comment with some of my person drinking data. As of this post, I've consumed 1226 in the Beer Advocate log. Slightly over 25% of those beers are in the American IPA and DIPA categories. That percentage continues to rise when you consider Belgian IPAs and other IPA categories.

I also know I have one IPA in my fridge that I haven't reviewed just yet.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,260) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Just saw at Total Wine in AZ, so it has arrived.

12pk-12oz Btls
    Gilbert, AZ
    $ 14.49

Looks like a solid price also.

17. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,631) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Agreed, I'd take Flipside over Ruthless Rye. And actually I'd take Hoppy Wheat over either - I had low expectations but that beer was a very pleasant surprise!

ESHBG likes this.
  18. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (137) Mar 14, 2007 California

I'm in favor, but is the average consumer will to pull this off the shelves.

FBarber likes this.
  19. ESHBG

I think in the current state of craft beer, absolutely.

AlcahueteJ and SierraTerence like this.
  20. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (248) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I think we agree on most things, but I disagree with this. A lot of people on here would buy it, but I don't think most consumers would.

Just talking to the average craft beer person about beer, they are either into IPAs or "dark beers" meaning stouts or porters.

21. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (108) Jan 8, 2015 California

Malt for days in every brew in this pack. It certainly is a change from so many light bodied IPAs.

22. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (304) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Picked my first one up last week. Drank and enjoyed one of each beer. I'd say tumbler and the vienna were my favorites. I forgot how solid tumbler is. Oktoberfest just dropped this week, so that's my next purchase.

23. ESHBG

SA Adventures in Lager and their other Lager pack did well and when I am shopping for beer I now see a lot of craft Lager purchases that I didn't see in the past. Plus, SN has a pretty solid consumer base. If I worked for SN I would take the gamble and produce this and I would slide Glissade or something like that in the pack also to make it even more attractive.

24. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (313) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think unfortunately I agree with you. I think lagers are getting way more popular with the craft beer loyal fam base but would be a tough sell for the on the edge macro/ dabbling in IPAs consumer.

25. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (591) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Just picked this one up. Tumbler was better than I remembered , but will be better when the weather drops to the 50’s. Nice to get re-acquainted with Torpedo too, solid throwback-type IPA. Still not a fan of Ruthless Rye, however.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (256) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Just picked one up today, Vienna Lager is such a great every day drinking beer.

AlcahueteJ and jlitt8276 like this.
  27. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,854) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

The fact you guys are getting them means I might have a chance.

28. jlitt8276

jlitt8276 Initiate (36) Aug 19, 2012 Ohio

Anyone know how accurate SN's beer finder is? I haven't been able to locate the Fall pack within 30 miles on my Ohio zip. I see these photos of Tumbler and it gets me wanting to drive around locally to look.

29. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,146) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I find it to be fairly accurate - at least for approximating when a new beer is hitting the area. It does seem to be a day or two delayed in updating a particular store, however. For example, I found the Oktoberfest in a store last Friday and the store did not reflect on their beer finder until Monday. I would call around if you have a chance. That's your best bet imo.

AlcahueteJ and jlitt8276 like this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (762) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

By "still not good" do you mean it's not good to you, or not a good beer? Because I fully stand by the fact it's still a very well made beer. Always has been, always will be.

I feel like the first two would be better in a summer pack. I like the coffee stout with pumpkin idea though. Toss that in with the Vienna and Tumbler and I'm in.

I think any beer sitting out warm is doing it no favors, but especially Torpedo.

Isn't the average consumer drinking Bud Light? Not Sierra Nevada?

Is the average craft beer consumer drinking Sierra Nevada or local beers? I'm genuinely asking, because I'm not really sure these days.

Even the Torpedo?

On topic: Snagged this as soon as I saw it, mostly because of the Vienna lager. Incredible beer. I also like Tumbler.

Got to revisit Torpedo, only a month old! Damn, I was never SUPER crazy about this beer (I'm a big Celebration guy), but jeez...piney as all hell with some nice fruity notes. Delicious. I've decided I like West Coast IPAs and New England IPAs...the stuff that's in between doesn't really jive with me.

BenHoppy and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  31. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (629) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yes, to my taste. Well made good beer, just not to me anynore

Enjoy

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (591) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Identical opinion on Torpedo for me. Love that piney/fruity balance (I think a lot has to do with that it’s fresh in this pack) - threw me back to when it first came out.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. BeastOfTheNortheast

Good point. I would say probably not - I don't really know anyone else besides one BA on here (that I know off here) and myself that enjoy SN. So a Sierra Nevada Lager pack would most likely fail in today's market.

bret717 likes this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (762) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Well, I don't actually know that it would fail or do well. Because my main point is I don't really know WHO their market is today. Here's the groups I see...

1) The vocal majority on BA who love New England IPAs
    2) The minority here on BA who love lagers
    3) The rest of the country who dabbles in craft, and appears to be drinking IPAs of all kinds
    4) The Bud Light guy who occasionally buys craft, perhaps Blue Moon/Sam Adams/New Belgium/Yuengling
    5) The strictly Bud Light guy

I see number 2 buying the lager pack, and number 4 possibly buying it. It would also potentially be more approachable for #4 than an IPA mixed pack.

35. BeastOfTheNortheast

I think #2 buys it only. I think #4 doesn't even consider it.

nw2571 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  36. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Aspirant (296) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

37. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (972) Nov 3, 2013 California

I never miss picking up a SN mix pack. Cheers

38. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Initiate (94) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina

Got the fall pack a couple days back. Never tried any of the beers included before, my favorite so far is definitely the ruthless rye IPA.

39. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Aspirant (268) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada is a brewing icon along with the likes of Anchor brewing. They make delicious beers at a reasonable price compared to similar quality. I will definitely be trying this brown ale. I have a Bigfoot ale that must be close to 20 years old in my mother's garage refrigerator.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Initiate (146) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

Tumbler is good, But it doesn't really stand out as being super great for the style. It seems average or even below average breweries can make a good brown ale. Is this style easy to brew? The fall pack is good, But I like Ruthless the best.

Claude-Irishman likes this.