Release Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by El_Zilcho, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerTree

BeerTree Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Isle of Man

Sorry to say but after this year's 5-week run, Tumbler will be no more in bottled release, if even brewed. Sniff.

2. Lordquackingstic

Lordquackingstic Disciple (378) Jun 14, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Really? Do you have the source for this? I can't find anything on it. I seriously fucking love the ever loving shit out of tumbler, and would be seriously disappointed if it got knocked out by another IPA. I mean, I love IPAs but come on...leave some room for other styles!

JohnnyP3, Givemebeer and Tdizzle like this.
  3. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (517) Dec 19, 2006 California

Your palate is underdeveloped. Keep practicing and report back.

4. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

Once again... if Tumbler sold better, SN would continue to bottle it. What part of that are people not getting?

redbok likes this.
  5. ejn22

ejn22 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 New Jersey

I understand the business decision to stop producing it if it doesn't sell. But understanding the decision doesn't make it suck less for those of us who will miss drinking it.

JohnnyP3, Givemebeer and Tdizzle like this.
  6. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

I understand. I like Tumbler too. Thankfully Anchor is still making Beckles Brown.

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,584) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Hoptimum is super high ABV and IBUs, and is definitely juicy, but to be fair, it's quite the departure from Torpedo and SNPA. And it's still a SN beer, no doubt, and very tasty!

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,811) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Maybe it's because it's a seasonal, and it has to be gone by the time the next seasonal hits the distributors/stores. If it sits around too long that can screw things up. If it were a year-round beer that they could be more flexible with it (smaller quantities, spread out across the year), then perhaps SN could keep on making it <hint, hint>.

9. Tdizzle

I think the part that people aren't getting is why Tumbler isn't selling. Brekle's Brown is a good brown ale. Tumbler is apparently a better brown ale because it holds and 86 on this site, whilst Brekle's holds an 83. The people have spoken. Yet people like nicholasofcusa who haven't even tried it because "brown ales are boring" feel qualified to comment as to why it should be discontinued?! That is unacceptable. Does Brekle's deserve to be one of the few craft brewed brown ales that drinkers who like something besides an IPA from time to time have to choose from? You and nicholasofcusa both commented on how much you like Brekle's. Well, a lot of us enjoyed Tumbler. What part of that are people not getting?

10. sierranevadabill

sierranevadabill Aspirant (238) Jul 2, 2008 California

I will be your source, if you like.
    Sadly, it's true.Tumbler won't be returning next year. The real question is, Is it better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all?

Seriously, I like that beer too. In fact, it's my wife's favorite and the one beer I tended to hoard year-round. I like a brown ale though, and evidently I'm in the minority. I will miss it deeply. Such is life, I'm afraid.
    That said, I think Flipside is pretty great too. Working my way through case number 3 for the year already.

My deepest sympathies to all those affected by this tragedy.

-Bill

11. Tdizzle

Flipside is great. I went through two 6-packs like nothing. Hopefully, since Flipside will fly off shelves each fall, we will get Celebration Ale even more fresh (it's usually about a month past its bottling date by the time it hits shelves in my area b/c the distributors are waiting for Tumbler to move.) I'm all about that. :)

MeBeerGood likes this.
  12. Beersalesman802

Beersalesman802 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

You can find this in Vermont now!

13. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Disciple (346) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Has anyone spotted this in Tennessee yet?

14. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Just had this tonight and really enjoyed it. But it only has a 3.76 average, so should I not like it?? Help IDK what to think...

15. Hornet2003

Hornet2003 Devotee (427) Jan 26, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Use your own reasoning skills to figure out if *you* like it! Oh, and a BA rating of 3.76 is pretty solid, so buy it up and enjoy if it's something you really enjoy drinking.

smutty33 likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Well that sucks...I enjoy Tumbler more than Flipside, though it was a solid beer. Some say brown ales are boring, but not every beer needs to be extreme.

musicman7070, JohnnyP3 and Tdizzle like this.
  17. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Haha I know im just messing around. I see way too many people talking down a beer just because the ratings arent that high, and wont even try it. I'm new to the scene so im trying to try as much as possible and expand my tastes.

18. Lordquackingstic

Lordquackingstic Disciple (378) Jun 14, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the response, Bill. Your input is always invaluable! I certainly am looking forward to Flipside, and in fact I'm going to the store every day to see if it's there yet, but alas, I am still struck pretty deep in my heart about the news about Tumbler. I have a really, really, really messed up stomach, and a lot of the time when I go to my fridge for an every day beer I shy away from IPAs because sometimes they mess up my stomach. Each autumn (by far the best season of the year) I seriously look forward to Tumbler coming out because it's everything I look for in an everyday ale that sits superbly in my stomach...so needless to say, it'll be greatly missed. I've consumed more Tumbler in my life than any other beer (which is saying a lot considering it's (or was) a seasonal).

RIP Tumbler, I'll miss you dearly...

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  19. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

Man, I love that label.

20. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Poo-Bah (2,232) Sep 24, 2008 California

So they are retiring Tumbler, one of the few beers that holds distinction in their line-up and replacing it with, after a six-pack and a day to sit on, what I can only describe as "Torpedo Red". A beer that sits somewhere between Torpedo and Celebration, and all too familiar.

Excuse me if I'm not celebrating their decision to replace a better than most brown ale with more of the same. Nickelback called, they want their schtick back.

musicman7070, JohnnyP3 and Tdizzle like this.
  21. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

Going to buy a case or more of tumbler tomorrow. I will miss it:(

JohnnyP3 and Lordquackingstic like this.
  22. Tdizzle

I'm with you. I think Flipside is great, but I liked that Sierra Nevada brewed a seasonal brown ale. Diversified their portfolio. Now we have Torpedo Code Red. Like I said though, the only plus side is that Flipside will apparently move quicker and thus get Celebration Ale on the shelves faster, I suppose.

raffels and Lordquackingstic like this.
  23. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (700) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

There's no stigma anymore.

ChrisChagnon likes this.
  24. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (213) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

I like Flipside. I'm on my 3rd sixer and I will likely get another or two before it's gone (or before Schlafly Tasmanian IPA starts showing up). And, from a business perspective, you can't hate on SN for dropping a beer and replacing it with something that they think will sell better. I like Tumbler and I liked Glissade when it was around, but replacing both with an IPA variant is probably a smart move, considering how well IPAs sell. Despite what some may think, SN is still a business and make their brewing decisions based around what's best for that business.

Keep up the good work SN. You're still the epitome of American craft brewing in my eyes.

25. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

I am very disappointed that this is replacing Tumbler...I'm working my through a six pack of Flipside (definitely not a "sessionable" beer) and probably won't buy another. However, I will now start hoarding Tumbler as vehemently as I did Glissade.

JohnnyP3 and dennis3951 like this.
  26. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,113) Mar 18, 2010 California

Had a Flipside last night - solid stuff.

27. WhatdaHec

WhatdaHec Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2003 California

I say include a $2 or $3 Amazon.com coupon with every 12 pack of Sierra Nevada beer for the new book.

I'm going to buy it anyway, but it might be a nice little marketing coup...plus what could be better, now with fall approaching, than curling up in a snuggie with a Sierra Nevada brew and a Sierra Nevada book??

28. spoo0oon

spoo0oon Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 California

Picked up some flipside & narwhal today! Can't wait to drink em.

p.s. Tumbler is fantastic IMO

29. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (393) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I first heard about this today; I went into a local packie and found all Flipside and no Tumbler.
    So sad for this; to me it was the perfect fall beer. Not too heavy, but a nice roasty flavor with a hint of smoke. I suppose now I'll have to home brew me some of it. Can you give some kind of hints as to a rough recipe for us homebrewer Tumbler fans? I'll understand if you can't of course.

Lordquackingstic likes this.
  30. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Celebration? We're onto spring seasonals now ...

31. Benish

Benish Champion (861) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

After all this talk, I feel fortunate enough to taste Tumbler last weekend. It was in one of the coolers in the back yard during my nieces bday party.

32. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I still miss Glissade.

hopsbreath, Pegli and kolschboy like this.
  33. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,014) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

That just about summarizes it.

34. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (163) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any showing up in Illinois? Not a fan of Tumbler but I'm a California Hop Head living among F.I.B.'s

35. Hobby

Hobby Initiate (0) May 26, 2012 Michigan

I look for Flipside almost daily and I check this thread and it seems both coasts have it on shelves but nobody in the Midwest, what's up with that already.........

36. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Aspirant (273) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon
    Subscriber

167 miles from Chico, no Flipside sightings yet!

37. Gritsak

Gritsak Devotee (401) Jan 22, 2004 West Virginia

We have it in BFE west virginia. Good beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down, but i'll probably buy again.

38. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,343) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

sonnuvabitch!

i haven't been able to find it anywhere except in a 12-pack ... i passed on buying that because it's a lot of beer for one dude, but screw that. if i see it again in any form, i'm buying and trying.

so sad. i LOVE brown ales, and even if it's SN hopped up, i'm sure i'd still love it.

RIP, Tumbler, indeed

39. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Flipside is in D.C. now.

40. a1369864214864

a1369864214864 Initiate (32) Jul 19, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what hops were used in Flipside? I thought it was really solid but the first whiff I got of it I immediately thought of sweaty gym towel. I passed it to my buddy without saying anything and he said moldy dish cloth. As I said, I liked the beer quite a bit, but I'd be interested knowing what kind of hops gave it that kind of smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.