Sierra Nevada Pale Bock Returns in 2022?

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by steveh, Feb 28, 2022.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,373) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

2. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

Will buy. Love Sierra Nevada.

beergoot, CTHomer and Elfastball7 like this.
  3. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

The 12oz label caught my eye. So is this going to be nationally distributed? Or another limited DTC release like the 16oz cans last year? If the former, color me intrigued. If the latter, wake me up when they ship to Illinois on these small batch DTC releases. :wink:

4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

5. steveh

Society

@Todd -- sorry I forgot that thread (in so many ways). I guess it proves my short-term memory loses steam after 12 months. :grin::confused:

Squire likes this.
  6. steveh

Society

12 ounce cans seem to imply wide distribution -- aren't all of the DTC beers in 16 ouncers?

@SierraTerence

grantcty and Jaycase like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,880) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

This would be a great Come Bock…I’ll see myself out now.

8. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (943) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The last can release stated Malt liquor on the can front. This looks to not have that pointed out.

Enjoy

steveh likes this.
  9. steveh

Society

grantcty and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (267) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Im slowly losing interest in SN because of stuff like Summer Break and Powder Day IPA. The Little Things lineup is like whatever. I did rather enjoy Atomic Torpedo though thats probably not enough to get me excited again. At least Bigfoot is still being made.

budsNpils likes this.
  11. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (820) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

What about Tumbler?

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (943) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I agree. I buy Torpedo a few times a year and Celebration every year( 2 cases or more). I love Bigfoot but it’s been as rare as the real Bigfoot the last few years, I had to order the vert online. Powder day was pretty blah to worst for me, it was $10 so I tried it. Unfortunately most other SN sixers are closing in on $14 and that’s not for me when it comes to SN unless it’s BF or maybe Nar. I want to support them but it gets harder each year.

I miss the seasonal mix packs, original Otra Vez, Tumbler and rye. I get they need to change to keep going but it feels like they keep missing and missing. Not sure how they are doing or where they are going but it feels inevitable they will be bought out or go smaller and more local. Not sure how they made money shipping me a 12 pack or BF and 8 pack of BA spiced BF. It shipped from CA to the East coast in two boxes.

Enjoy

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

SN is crushing it locally. Lucky enough to have a friend live in Chico. He’s part of the Alpha Hop Society and has shared all the beers with me. They have been good to great. Plus, all the local Special releases. PB barrel aged Narwhal, Spiced Barrel Aged Bigfoot, Ruthless Rye, Pale Bock etc.

they still distro the bulk of their portfolio but seem focused more on their local market and based on the industry trends why not.

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,045) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

This one has escaped me. Maybe it will escape me again...

15. steveh

Society

Well, it hasn't been widely distributed for a few years, so keep your optimism up (unlike some of the other SN haters who were uninvited... :rolling_eyes:).

GetMeAnIPA and Bitterbill like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,045) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Shoot. If I can drink Delirium Tremens on draught in town, I will definitely be optimistic aboot getting a hold of SN Pale Bock!

Redrover and steveh like this.
  17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I just had Powder Day for first time on Saturday and Atomic Torpedo for first time tonight. Both I thought were excellent. I think they are trending in a positive direction hopefully.

18. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I miss their variety, but I have to agree Powder Day is a solid IPA.

19. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,736) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

The only thing I've seen from SN around here is their Pale Ale, but that's worth a go occasionally.

Bitterbill, Shanex and budsNpils like this.
  20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I would love for Sierra Nevada to do another Beer Camp Variety pack (for those not familiar it was 12 different collaboration beers from 12 different breweries around the US and world). Most of those beers were very good to great and style variety was all over the place. It was closer to $30 12 pack from my recollection but for the style variety and quality it turned out to be a good value IMO.

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,772) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

That's great news. I'm not a fan of most pale bocks, but SN's was an exception. From what a friend told me, SN's had quite a few German brewers back when that beer was originally developed.

22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,430) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I too would love this to happen. Heck I would be thrilled if Sierra Nevada would just go back to producing seasonal packs of solely Sierra Nevada branded beers (i.e., four brands per 12 pack) but I am not holding my breath here since Sierra Nevada is doubling down (maybe quadrupling down is more appropriate here) on hoppy beers.

The new Sierra Nevada business strategy: IPAs vs. the other brands they used to brew since this = $ as far as they are concerned. As a long term Sierra Nevada customer I personally would prefer otherwise but the Sierra Nevada corporate dudes are seeking 'newer' customers it seems. Nothing personal, just business.

Cheers!

23. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,736) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Can't honestly say it's my favorite style but it is one I've bought without hesitation.

25. steveh

Society

Pale Bock, Heller Bock, Maibock -- I think SN is playing to we beer enthusiasts, if not German beer enthusiasts. They know that we know what they're talkin' 'bout. :wink:

Bitterbill, Rug, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  26. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Defender (688) Mar 19, 2012 California

Totally agree. They have started making decisions more on the larger customer market which is the right business decision (otherwise, they aren't going to survive).

I'm a huge fan boy for SN and had been a member of SN Alpha Hops Society from the first year until this year. The beers were originally high quality and focused on variations of traditional styles. Over the last couple of years, it seemed to focus more on being a pilot beer factory for those beer that they wanted to take to market. The quality was fine, but most of them were misses.

I will still go to their taproom in Berkeley periodically and get my load of Trips to the Woods (primarily BA Bigfoot) and some of their other beers, but I don't buy much of their new offerings.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (737) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Is this Pale Bock the same as the old Glissade spring seasonal? Either way, I'm in!

28. steveh

Society

No. Different beer.

29. JackHorzempa

Society

My last purchase of Sierra Nevada beer was a six-pack of Celebration last fall. In all likelihood my next purchase of Sierra Nevada beer will again be Celebration this upcoming fall, presuming the corporate dudes decide to not nix this brand.

I have plenty of local craft breweries producing high quality IPAs which I can purchase very fresh (e.g., less than a month from canning) which is what I will buy vs. a Sierra Nevada brewed IPA (which is invariably old at my local beer retailers).

Cheers!

Shanex and tolar111 like this.
  30. Domingo

Society

In my area (CO), Sierra Nevada's lineup is fresher than most local beers. Trick is, I don't love most of their lineup at the moment. I'll always love SNPA, Celebration, Bigfoot, and Narwhal, but I couldn't care less about the rest. I like the Porter, Stout, Kellerweis, etc....but those aren't sold here.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

How old are the local beers at your retailers?

Cheers!

32. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (227) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts

Right there with you as a giant SN fanboy and 100% agree with everything you say. Don’t blame them at all. Just wish I could get Porter or Stout or Glissade or Nooner or many more.

AlcahueteJ and pbrian like this.
  33. dele

dele Initiate (110) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Aren't going to survive? That seems pretty implausible. They sell enough Pale Ale that they could produce nothing but that all year and survive just fine. Maybe they wouldn't make as much profit, I'll give you that. But would that really be such a terrible thing, if it meant they stayed true to the identity and products that brought them success until now? I wish there were a place in our world - and especially our beer industry - for companies that could be satisfied with being good at what they do and turning a decent profit, focusing on taking care of their employees and serving their core custoemers without having to be constantly looking for more revenue, more profit, more growth, every single year.

#34 dele, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and Rug like this.
  34. steveh

Society

As a "giant fanboy" you only buy one six-pack of SN a year?

I'll admit to not being a big fan of some of the newer beers in their lineup, but I'll always give their beers a try based on their reputation. Powder Day was a pleasant surprise.

Not to mention that I'm very familiar with the Pale Bock and how good it is, so that's an easy choice. And Pale Ale is a frequent go-to over each year.

45 SN beers reviewed and counting.

pbrian, hillind, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  35. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,760) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Same here, although we could get their IPA Hop Hunter fairly easily at some point but not anymore. Very good both of them, and classic old reliable I’d also add.

Why can’t I find Hop Hunter anymore? You guys can still get it - people or locations where Sierra Nevada is fairly available at least…?

Bitterbill and Squire like this.
  36. steveh

Society

Hop Hunter isn't listed on the SN website, are you sure it's still being brewed?

Ah hah --
    https://sierranevada.com/beer/hop-hunter-ipa/

On tap only.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and Shanex like this.
  37. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,760) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Stopped reading about halfway through the comments, but if they do this like they did PB Cup Narwhal I will be placing an online order. Seems like a solid beer to get.

39. Domingo

Society

Between 3-12 weeks is typical, although the last year has skewed things a bit. Getting fresh hoppy beers from a LOT of places has been a challenge. SN stuff tends to be in the 3-6 week range most of the time.

Bitterbill likes this.