Sierra Nevada Sampler Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, May 16, 2019.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (402) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Not sure if this was discussed here or not, but this seems to be new:

https://sierranevada.com/beer/the-sampler/

6 beers:
    SNPA
    Tropical Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Sidecar
    Hop Solo
    Helles In The Tropics

Sounds pretty good to me!

2. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (161) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Plus their classic Pale Ale makes six. :slight_smile:

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

Added it.

riptorn likes this.
  4. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Aspirant (260) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

Even better news I was at a recent craft beer event and a bunch of sierra reps were there, thats when they told me barrel aged narwhal will be realesed in 16 oz can in a couple of months... That made my night

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,062) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Brewing a great Helles is no easy task. But when it’s right, oh, is it right. That’s what you’ve got here: what might be a perfect Helles. Crisp and light, a symphony of new-school juicy hop flavors and a soft and easy mouthfeel—an all-around absolutely crushable beer.

Doesn't sound like a Helles to me.

6. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (268) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This pack has been around for a while now and was discussed in one of the SN threads, I purchased it once and enjoyed the beers (but most I have had before) but doubt that it will be a repeat purchase for me and hopefully they occasionally rotate the beers or something.

Edit: here is a thread and I can't believe that this was almost a year ago already, time is really flying!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sierra-nevada-party-pack.506173/page-3#post-6041189

7. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (316) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Well this is life changing news, I've been hunting for BA Narwhal since my 21st birthday last year.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  8. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (173) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, sounds more like "what the hell!" Maybe it is just marketing...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,775) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I am going to snag a pack for the items I never had. It is a good summer mix.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

Appears to be different beers.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  11. ESHBG

I must have linked to the wrong thread then but trust me this pack with this lineup is older news and has been around for a bit, I had it months ago (Jan. or Feb. of this year I think it was). And I just did a search and in Dec. '18 it was announced for the 2019 lineup so while this lineup was definitely not last year, it was since the beginning of this year.

#11 ESHBG, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    deanzaZZR likes this.
  12. BeastOfTheNortheast

I'm not trusting you until you provide factual evidence.

13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,913) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Red Oak Hummingbird Helles imo is just a tad malty sweet. No juicy hops with this one.

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (717) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Bought this pack in MD back in March......liked the Hop Solo, nothing else stood out but nothing was bad.

Enjoy

ESHBG and deanzaZZR like this.
  15. hillind

hillind Aspirant (247) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  16. BeastOfTheNortheast

hillind likes this.
  17. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (244) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Yeah we discussed this a long time ago. Dismissed by most. @SierraTerence any possible chance we could get a SN Helles without the "new-school juicy hop flavors"?

AlcahueteJ, ESHBG and deanzaZZR like this.
  18. ESHBG

Some more factual evidence and here was my review from Jan. so I guess my memory is still on point:

Sierra Nevada 2019 Calendar

#18 ESHBG, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

What’s that?

20. nc41

Trader

Sorry , Red Oak is a local brewery that does German beers exclusively. Hummingbird Helles is their Munich style take. It’s good but both this and their Bavarian Lager imo are a tad too sweet. Their Hopgarten Pils is banging though, and the head brewer trained in Germany for over 20 years.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (372) Jul 7, 2010 New York

For some reason reason even these newly released mix packs from Sierra Nevada have bottles that are 2+ months old in them, so I have stopped buying them.

Doesn’t matter so much for brown or darker ales, but a pack with pales and hoppy stuff? No thanks.

22. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (435) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

That's why I start with a couple cans of local super fresh stuff and then when my palates shot I ease into the sampler pack.

23. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (710) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Just saw a summer sampler pack from sn at Costco. Didn't think the release calendar listed any seasonal sample packs but it's nice to think that a fall pack may still be in the works

24. bostonbro5

bostonbro5 Initiate (40) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm still crushed we're not going to get any of the awesome variety packs. Loved the winter packs, 4 way ipas and especially the southern hemisphere pack. Those were the only Sierra Nevada packs I consistently bought

25. riegler

riegler Initiate (88) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Yep. I remember buying this and drinking it during the Super Bowl. Most of the beers were pretty forgettable, just like that game was :grin:

ESHBG and AlcahueteJ like this.
  26. AlcahueteJ

I enjoyed it.

27. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,529) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Sounds like it could just be a new school helles. Are the hops what makes the style for you guys? For me, I could see it still being a helles type beer with some new types of hops included, personally.

Would the style be better for that? That is another question and one I don't have an answer for without having tried. I'd expect id prefer the original version but never say never....

28. ESHBG

What was in it?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (710) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

If I remember correctly it was pale ale, summerfest, 3 weight, and sierraveza

TriggerFingers and beardown2489 like this.
  30. ESHBG

That's interesting, I wonder if that is store exclusive? Something tells me that it is and I just checked the site, nada.

31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Terence (@SierraTerence), does SN produce a variety pack exclusively for Costco?

Cheers!

SierraTerence likes this.
  32. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,283) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

He mentioned in this post an upcoming Club Store pack. So it seems one exclusive to Costco and other club stores.

drtth and SierraTerence like this.
  33. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (156) Mar 14, 2007 California

34. AlcahueteJ

It's all about the malt for me. It's more of a malt forward style, compared to say, a Pilsner. The hops should add some subtle flavor to complement the beer, but shouldn't be the star of the show in my opinion.

steveh, ESHBG and denver10 like this.
  35. nc41

Trader

I don't see why they’d put in PA, it would have been better to put in Summerfest and Sierraveza and leave out the Tropical Torpedo too. It would have been a stronger mixed pack it’s why I pass mixed packs, they always stuff in a few you’ve had to death.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. waltari

waltari Initiate (65) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Please bring back the seasonal hops packs. The IPLs were the best.

ESHBG and stevepat like this.
  37. ESHBG

While most of the beers tasted fairly similar (not bad mind you, just similar) I did enjoy drinking through each pack and the IPL, Pilsner and Session IPAs were usually the standouts, I liked the can format as well. But unfortunately not surprised that SN abandoned them for now, there were piles of them in my local stores and I never saw others buying them like I was.

AlcahueteJ and SunDevilBeer like this.
  38. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (73) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

@SierraTerence

Helles in the tropics is the best helles I've ever had. Lets get this in sixer's before summer is over?

Also bring back Ruthless 12 packs.

SierraTerence likes this.
  39. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,233) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

It's one of the better APAs I've ever had, but it's no SNPA.
    And they definitely are in the Helles in the Tropics.

Don't get me wrong, it's an easy drinking, great beer for summer -- but there's no resemblance to a Helles by any stretch.

AlcahueteJ and stevepat like this.
  40. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (343) Apr 29, 2012 California

Pale Ale, 3 Weight, Hop Bullet, and Sierraveza

3 Weight was really a good surprise. I almost enjoy that as much as Easy Jack. Sierraveza on the other hand? Not a fan. I would have rather seen something like BFD or Summerfest in that pack.

miwestcoaster and stevepat like this.