Release Sierra Nevada Single Hop Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lowridenn, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Lowridenn

Lowridenn Initiate (17) Sep 15, 2017 North Carolina

2. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (409) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sounds F'ing delicious. I hope it makes it to somewhere near me. Any idea on a price point?

3. Lowridenn

I’d assume similar to the previous fresh hop and experimental hop packs. I can’t recall how much we paid here in NC. It was more than a normal SN 12 pack but less than the beer camps of previous years. $18ish maybe?

4. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,986) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

The Experimental Hop pack was disappointing. The Double IPA was not good. The others were average.

SierraTerence, waltari and stevepat like this.
  5. MUSHROOMCLOUD

MUSHROOMCLOUD Meyvn (1,294) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Premium

I still haven't seen the Southern Hemisphere Hop Pack that was supposed to be released in April? No reviews on the site here either?

6. Riff

Riff Crusader (723) May 12, 2016 Virginia

It was mentioned in the SN Summer pack thread that the Southern Hemisphere pack was moved to late June distribution.

Was a fan of the fresh hop pack, experimental was so-so.

7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (417) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

No Simcoe? Hiss! Hiss!

8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I'll buy it and wager I'll like it.

Alefflicted likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,597) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

They are offering up Moasic, so it's pretty darn close right there. They're kissing cousins.

10. MUSHROOMCLOUD

MUSHROOMCLOUD Meyvn (1,294) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Premium

Good deal - thanks for the info, I missed that.

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Here's the lineup and release dates from this post:

Sierra Nevada Fall Mix Pack

FYI on the Single Hop pack that is coming out in late August.

Single Hop IPA - Amarillo
    Single Hop DIPA - Mosaic
    Single Hop Session IPA - El Dorado
    Single Hop Pilsner - Citra

donspublic likes this.
  12. Lowridenn

This has finally been released. Picked it up from the Mills River location yesterday. All canned between 7/30 and 8/01. Will post more when I try some.

zid and Jaycase like this.
  13. rypkr

rypkr Champion (800) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It took a month to get it on the shelf in the same state it was brewed?

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Another one for my wish list.

15. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (263) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

The Southern Hemispere beers were phenomenal even 2 months after canning. Session was maybe one of the best low ABv hoppy beers I’ve had to date.

To me the double IPAs have been the dud in the last two, not bad but not as good as the others.

hillind, Jaycase and ESHBG like this.
  16. ESHBG

According to the site it is back to a Single Hop IPL vs a Pilsner, still Citra:

https://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/single-hop-pack

Curious to hear your thoughts.

17. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (266) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Since it's SN, it will still be good after some time. But, it sounds like they have a problem with getting things out to their customers timely (and by timely, I mean as fast other breweries).

18. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Folks, keep in mind that they can/bottle condition in their facility for AT LEAST (2-3??) weeks before going out for distro. Quibble if you’d like, but they are not going to get product on shelves within a few days of canning/bottling...ever. That is intentional and by design.

FarmerTed and fehrminator like this.
  19. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (266) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Good point. But, it's just that much easier to pick up a beer canned less than 2 weeks ago rather than 2 months ago. Especially when local places are doing releases weekly. Not saying I'm right, just saying it plays a factor.

bret717 likes this.
  20. bret717

bret717 Savant (942) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

FWIW, I saw the new Single Hop twelve pack at a store in PA on 8/22/18.

21. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,182) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Just for clarity, SN only bottle/can conditions a small subset of their beers. SN Bill mentioned SNPA, Porter, Stout, Celebration, Bigfoot and a few others in this 2017 post. It's possible this pack is can conditioned but more likely that it is tank conditioned per SNB's post above.

22. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I stand corrected...thank you.

23. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I'm hoping to get these into my store by next week. Looking forward to giving them a taste.

24. ESHBG

A few reviews so far, not very favorable unfortunately. But I have found with these packs you may just get one or two really good beers but the the rest are still solid.

25. Lowridenn

Okay, I haven’t had the double yet but here are my notes from the other three. Nothing mind blowing, but they’re all perfectly drinkable and showcase the hops well. I haven’t had many single hop beers, so I found it educational.

El Dorado Single Hop Session IPA
    Light in body but not thin. Floral aroma with some citrus. Picked up some tangerine and mango, has a candy-like sweetness (nothing cloying or too much, but definitely noticeable), citrus pith on the palette with a nice herbal bite. Bitter with a nice clean finish. Easy drinking.

Citra Single Hop IPL
    Light and crisp. Light crackery malt backbone with grapefruit and star fruit. Clean and delicious. The star of the pack, again, which isn’t surprising since I’ve liked the lager the most in each pack so far. The experimental hop lager was just a beautiful beer. Certainly crushable.

Amarillo Single Hop IPA
    Orange, orange and more orange. Bitter orange. Sight earthiness on the end. Balanced and clear, not hazy like the last few hop packs.

26. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,182) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Nice post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please update with your DIPA thoughts after having it.

ESHBG likes this.
  27. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2007 California

My opinion, this is the best of all four packs (Fresh, Exp., Southern and Single).

As far as the dating on these hop packs they are all brewed and packaged in Chico, CA. Much easier for us to make smaller brewed volumes which makes for better consistency with blending of smaller fermenters (100-200 bbl). In general, we will package all four throughout the week and start repacking the next week and they will ship right after that... The max we can run is about 300-350 bbl per day on the repack line. Takes about a week to ship to NC brewery for distribution.

beardown2489 and ESHBG like this.
  28. waltari

waltari Initiate (53) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I will pick this one up for sure but I highly doubt it will be better than the fresh pack.

My rating: Fresh > Exp > South

The fresh pack is the only that I bought 3 of.

SierraTerence likes this.
  29. ESHBG

I picked up this pack and was able to try one of each beer so far. My impressions are similar to yours and yet again for me the Lager is the star of the pack...if this were added to the SN lineup I could see me drinking it regularly AND with it would probably be able to convert some of the, "I don't like hoppy beers," crowd...it is just very well down and balanced but still leaning slightly towards the hops.

The Session surprised me as well. I generally find Session IPAs to be lacking but SN keeps surprising me with them

The DIPA and IPA are great too and it was interesting being able to taste the profile of just one hop. I highly recommend this pack if you're curious, you won't be disappointed.

*For those interested mine had a packaged on date of 08/10 and the cans were 07/30, 31 and 08/01.

hillind likes this.
  30. ESHBG

IPL, Session, IPA, DIPA is my ranking and these packs seem to end up this way/very close to this way for me.

SierraTerence likes this.
  31. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Crusader (713) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Did simcoe die? I love it, but hardly ever see it anymore. Let alone used as a single hop.

32. Lowridenn

Okay finally got to try the double.

Mosaic Single Hop DIPA
    Big aromas of papaya, mango, and melon that is matched on the palette. There’s a softness to the mouthfeel that works really well with the tropical fruit, the 8% ABV is nonexistent otherwise. I didn’t expect to like this as much as I do.

I think I’m goig 1. IPL, 2. DIPA, 3. Session IPA, 4. IPA.

In my opinion the fresh hop pack has been the best, but this is definitely second.

SierraTerence, Jaycase and ESHBG like this.