Sierra Nevada Summerfest 2020

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davidstan, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Davidstan

Davidstan Aspirant (288) May 24, 2014 Alabama

Anyone else getting an off taste from the 2020 version? Wondered if I got into a bad batch or change of recipe by SN. Date on box shows appropriate month old. I feel like the Raccoon in the Insurance commercial and wanting someone else to taste this haha ....chutney, mango and burnt hair i think is how it goes

KRug and TongoRad like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,638) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Looked for it locally today, none around.

You're sure it's new stock? SN web site still has it listed as out of season on their beer finder (though we know that's not the most accurate).

officerbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,744) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I use a store that does deliveries these days, and their app is supposed to be tied in with the local branch's inventory. Summerfest did just show up as available within the past week, so I'll take this thread as a sign that it's the new stuff. :wink::slight_smile:

mikeinportc and AlcahueteJ like this.
  4. Davidstan

Yep, bottled March 2020

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,499) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Any chance you could state an off flavor more typically associated with beer? If so maybe @SierraTerence can provide some input here?

Cheers!

mikeinportc likes this.
  6. baklo

baklo Savant (924) Oct 10, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Damn. Sorry it’s not tasting right for you. I’ve had 2 of my first 12-pack so far and they’ve been their usual delicious as all hell self. So I don’t think a change (or noticeable to me change) in recipe. Think the date is 3/27/20. I’m in Asheville, NC for reference.

Mikecap, deanzaZZR, sefus12 and 5 others like this.
  7. hillind

hillind Aspirant (263) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’ll be picking some up this week. This beer has always been consistently good for me year in and year out and is a multiple case purchase. Hoping this holds true this year.

Glider and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. Davidstan

Not crisp, a stale type of taste. I’m in for a case of this a year. Check out my avatar. This twelve may be spoiled somehow and thats it a spoiled taste period. Because it doesn’t taste like any beer I’ve had can’t really give you a beer type review.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, since this beer just got released it would not seem that age is the issue here.

The best guess I can come up with is your pack got exposed to high heat somewhere along the way to you purchasing it. Very high heat can damage beer (i.e., make it go stale) in a matter of a few days; see graph below (note: temperatures are in Celsius).

Cheers!

[​IMG]

10. Davidstan

You might be right, it’s close to undrinkable sadly. I have the other fave lager in the fridge though so I’m good. CC Bibo is yr round too.

11. Judgie

Judgie Aspirant (201) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

I, for one, am not going to be concerned until I buy my first (of many) 12 packs and pour and taste my first Summerfest of the season. Drinking these on the deck overlooking the lake and being reminded of what "real beer" tastes like is what I live for.

12. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (279) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Love the beer...looking forward to my first 6 or 12 pack of the year.

Side note: I just wish they hadn’t changed the damn label.

13. rypkr

rypkr Savant (934) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'll let you guys know in 3 months. If it's a late march bottle dates itll be in western pa/eastern ohio late June or July. Sierra nevada freshness is a joke here. 90 percent of SNPA is around is 2019. /end rant

Looking forward to trying it though.

lastmango, turfy, officerbill and 3 others like this.
  14. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (517) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Just had the first of the year for me. Bottled April 8. Tastes as good as always.

15. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (458) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

SN beers are usually antique and cost more in PA. Doesn’t make much sense does it? How about it @JackHorzempa

16. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, I too have seen a lot of old Sierra Nevada beer on my beer retailers shelves. In the recent past I was a fan of purchasing the Sierra Nevada seasonal mix-packs since I was able to find those beers in relatively fresh condition but Sierra Nevada made a business decision to stop making those packs.

Frankly my purchases of Sierra Nevada of late have been 12-packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration in the fall while running errands (or whatnot) in Delaware.

As has been intimated in other thread discussions Sierra Nevada no longer needs my money to be economically viable?

Cheers!

17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,506) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Say what?

Summerfest is out? I'm in.

18. scottakelly

Is that really a Sierra Nevada issue or a Pennsylvania distributor issue? I just referenced above that I just had my first Summerfest of the year, 20 days old, in Ohio.

19. JackHorzempa

Society

From a consumer's perspective does it really matter? If the beer available to me on my beer retailers' shelf is old I personally will not purchase it.

The fact that folks who live outside of my area report similar stuff sure makes it sound like it is a systemic issue.

A fairly simple solution here is to buy locally produced beers that are fresh. Last evening I drank a Sterling Pig Shoats Pilsner and that beer was canned on 4/13/20. Life is good!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

20. scottakelly

From a consumer's perspective, no it does not matter. But if I was a consumer in a state that frequently has issues with the freshness of beers from out-of-state producers I would try to figure out who to direct my ire towards. Maybe Sierra Nevada has some unclean hands in it's decisions on how to distribute to Pennsylvania? Maybe the problem is more related to the distributors or the system in which they operate? I would never blame anyone for buying locally-produced beer that is fresh and readily available. But I would add that Sierra Nevada, as a nationally distributing brewery, does seem highly capable of getting their beers distributed to other parts of the country in a very timely matter.

#20 scottakelly, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  21. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (187) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

And another perfectly good Sierra Nevada thread goes down the Pa rabbit hole! We get it by now Pa. Can't the rest of us talk about a low cost, always well made beer option! Thank you

22. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup?
    Yup? But the weird part is that Pennsylvania has multiple Wholesale Distributors. For example, for my area it is Orgilio Beverage which has a 'monopoly' for selling Sierra Nevada beer in Philadelphia County and surrounding Counties. A totally different Wholesale Distributor has a 'monopoly' for Northeastern PA and another Wholesale Distributor for the western part of the state but similar issues appear to happening. Are all of these Wholesale Distributors in 'collusion' or something? Wouldn't you think that is the Wholesale Distributor in Southeastern PA is 'under performing' that would just be an 'in that area' thing? Shouldn't a business take proactive steps with their 'partner' Wholesale Distributors to ensure proper business practices? I probably have a half-dozen other questions I could pose to you here.
    Good for you guys.

Cheers!

scottakelly likes this.
  23. tolar111

tolar111 Devotee (495) Aug 17, 2008 New York

You got that right! This is what I think about PA and their high beer prices

24. rypkr

rypkr Savant (934) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Consider yourself very fortunate. I live on the pa/oh line and do 60-70% of my beer purchases in Ohio. SN freshness is no better there.

I patronize probably 10-15 different stores in both states regularly and literally every place every time check for fresh SNPA including singles, 6 packs, 12 packs, 18 packs AMD cases. Cans and bottles. It's almost a game for me to have to look at every package every time. In the last 3 years I found it once under 2 months old.

If/when I chose to buy SNPA I typically consider 4 month old as fresh as I'll find within 100 miles.

#24 rypkr, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  25. ejimhof

ejimhof Poo-Bah (1,629) Apr 12, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society

Summerfest (2020) purchased in North Hills of PGH today bottled 4/15/20.

26. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Unfortunately I knew that it wouldn't take long for this to turn into a PA freshness/prices discussion and in turn the comments about said discussion :grin:

But let's try to salvage this one and get back on track: the OP is from Alabama and is saying that their Summerfest tastes off, others from different areas are saying that theirs is fine. I'm a big SF fan and I just saw some bottled on 03/27 which unfortunately may be all that we get, the last few years we seemed to have gotten one big drop for the season but I will keep my eyes peeled while at other stores. I did see 12 packs of cans but I did not check those dates, will the next time. As soon as I get some I will report back.

27. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (172) Mar 14, 2007 California

I got to admit from the comments above and being respectful to our stay at home/quarantine guidelines... I wasn't able to taste Summerfest (or our Sierraveza) in fermenter and when I first did in package on a solo fishing trip, it was some what shocking as i haven't had proper pilsner and lager in days... That said, I've had many at home and I love me a nice Sufferfest in Chico on hot summer days... It was 94 F yesterday, after all.

28. AlcahueteJ

Society

12 pack purchased yesterday, to be delivered to my place tomorrow.

ISO: Sufferfest

Being in Boston right now, also ISO: Warm weather

29. tolar111

I love Summerfest and drink it all Spring and half of the Summer till it's gone. I've never noticed any variation in the flavor from year to year. I've had it relatively fresh and relatively old. In 25 years of drinking Sierra Nevada product I've had exactly one bad bottle and that was a Pale Ale that tasted ok, but was completely flat. I expect to see Summerfest on the shelves of the supermarket this week or next. I have say I've seen a lot of movement of Sierra Nevada product recently because I think people are buying what they need in one trip to the store rather than making separate trips to the beverage center. On my last trip I bought the last 12 pack of SNPA in retro bottles. Btw I'm from PA originally, I left when I was 5 with the clothes on my back and no regrets.

30. AlcahueteJ

Society

Retro bottles?

31. zid

zid Meyvn (1,164) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  32. tolar111

[​IMG]

33. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (213) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Absolutely beautiful.

AlcahueteJ and tolar111 like this.
  34. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,638) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Got a pack of those too -- beer seems to taste better.

Okay, not really -- SNPA always tastes good. :-D

35. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (279) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Sipping a Summerfest right now. Same as it ever was...delicious.

**But damn that new label!!

36. Davidstan

My taste buds may be off but I’ve tried this version over a weeks time and still get the dirty socks after taste. May be me. So, going back to Sierraveza as it is excellent for the type. Thanks all for input and learned something about PA to boot.

Jaycase and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

Society

Acquired a 12 pack of both Summerfest and the Pale Ale with the new (old) label. Love that label, so I had to as a collector’s item.

Oh, and it was packaged 3/31. The other reason I had to.

38. beatlefan56

beatlefan56 Initiate (175) Feb 6, 2008 Pennsylvania

Already got it in WPA, Delicious this year.

GringoJack likes this.
  39. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,194) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Well I don't know who the SN distributor is in Connecticut, but for every new SN beer I see people drinking here on BA its usually a month wait or more until I see it my stores. WTF.

40. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe @tolar111 will start a thread in the New England forum in your 'honor'!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!