Single Serving Breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cg123, Oct 8, 2021.

1. cg123

cg123 Initiate (94) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

What US breweries still package in "single serving" formats? What I mean is they only package in 500ml, 22oz, or 750 formats. I know internationally it's a bit more common, but 10-12 years ago, there were a lot of US breweries that only sold in that format and it seems now, not so much.

Only one I can think of is Maine Brewing Company.

#1 cg123, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    MrOH, officerbill, Rug and 2 others like this.
  2. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (2,997) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Interesting question. I can't really think of any either, aside from Maine either.

officerbill and cg123 like this.
  3. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,916) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

Russian River Brewing

Rug, Harrison8, PapaGoose03 and 5 others like this.
  4. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,623) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I really don’t understand the question. Are you asking which breweries exclusively use those sizes?

Russian River pretty much only distributes in 500 ML bottles, although recently some 16oz cans have been available on their website for direct to consumer shipping

5. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (102) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Maybe Horus?? Idk. Besides Russian River i cant think of any

JayORear and cg123 like this.
  6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,306) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Maine, Russian River, and last I knew Prairie Artisin Ales was mostly just doing single 12 oz bottles.

Rug, mikeinportc, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  7. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (659) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

8. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Drie Fontenein; Cantillon.

Rug, dcotom, Harrison8 and 2 others like this.
  9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (687) Mar 28, 2009 California

While the majority of Russian River beers are single format you can buy beers online and at their brewery as 16oz cans 4 pks.

STS is now sold in 4 pks.

[​IMG]

#9 GetMeAnIPA, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  10. GetMeAnIPA

not to be a stickler but I guess I am. The OP asked about “US” breweries.

MrOH, Rug and beerjerk666 like this.
  11. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Whoops.

beerjerk666 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,935) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I just love how OP doesn't consider a Sixth Barrel a "single serving".

Kids these days.

My lawn.

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,230) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'll guess that breweries that brew almost exclusively barrel-aged wild ales (and maybe farmhouse ales) are also almost exclusively packaging in singles. Jolly Pumpkin comes to mind, and a smaller brewery here in Michigan, Barrel + Beam, also fits the description.

BigIronH, Rug and JayORear like this.
  14. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (13,815) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Prairie does 4 packs and 6 packs now.

HorseheadsHophead and JayORear like this.
  15. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (13,815) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

The Rare Barrel...I think.

JayORear likes this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Yea, I think what is hard in terms of examples is finding places that do only that style. Side project is a borderline BS answer since Shared is “inside” and does IPAs, lagers, etc., and puts out 16oz cans.

JayORear and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. GetMeAnIPA

Jester King is one that comes to mind. I’ve never seen 4 or 6 packs. But we get very limited distro where I am at.

#17 GetMeAnIPA, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Junior and beerjerk666 like this.
  18. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (435) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The lost Abbey except for the farmhouse lager and pils

Rug likes this.
  19. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,220) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Gigantic. Also Ale Apothecary and some smaller acid beer brewers like Dwinell Country Ales are North Fork are what comes to mind for the PNW.

20. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,636) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

They do 16oz four packs now. It would be tough for any brewer these days to avoid it. Jester King has a lot going on in their operation and would probably find it too risky to only do 750s or related formats. Related to Jester King, Keeping Together probably qualified as an answer to the thread, but they had so much less to their operation than Jester King. They didn’t even have a brewery. Not as much risk.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

I was thinking the bruery but now they do some 4 pks too now. Just makes sense.

22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,130) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The only US brewery that I am aware of is the aforementioned Maine Brewing Company and I personally choose to not purchase those bottled beers due to their high prices. I do occasionally order draft pints of Maine beers.

I applaud those breweries who (still) package in the six-pack/12 ounce format. Cheers to those breweries!! :beers:

jakecattleco, Junior, JrGtr and 4 others like this.
  23. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Does Cascade do anything smaller than 750s yet?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  24. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,880) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

They have 12 oz cans and these little skinny cans that are like 9.4 oz or something.

25. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I’ve never understood the large format. Why? The only thing I can think of is that from a marketing perspective, perhaps people justify the price of a large format bottle better than half that price at half the size bottle. For example, a $40 bomber is easier to justify than a $20…normal 12oz bottle.

I get that some people like to share, but from the brewery side, it makes no sense to me that you intend for everyone that buys a bottle to either solo the bottle or share. I have to believe that most people that buy alcohol are buying for their own consumption.

officerbill, Rug and PapaGoose03 like this.
  26. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I always assumed it was about presenting a certain degree of prestige. Fancy bottles like wine. I don't knowthough, I was reared in craft beer by bombers of fairly stiff ipas and stouts so it always seemed normal to me.

27. cg123

I see Jolly Pumpkin 4 pks of 16oz cans all the time now in Ohio. Bam Bier and Calabaza Blanca plus some random seasonals too.

Junior and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. PapaGoose03

Society

That doesn't surprise me since many breweries are changing distro things up a bit this year or last year, but I haven't noticed them yet.

Junior likes this.
  29. cg123

Crazy thing is they are priced really good. $12 or $13 for a 4pk. Last time I bought Bam Bier before I saw these, it was the same price but for a 750.

30. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (485) Feb 2, 2015 New York

A historical note. I believe Blue Point BP bottled only 22 oz bottles at their brewery on River Avenue. Any of the six packs were certainly brewed and packaged at their contract breweries. Hand bottling takes little initial investment and a small equipment footprint. I think the inclination for bottling larger sizes stemmed from the fact that that option was less labor intensive than bottling 12 ouncers. With the availability of mobile canning and smaller installed bottling and canning lines, the 12 ounce package has proliferated.

31. PapaGoose03

Society

That price will make me start looking at the JP stuff again. I've always liked most of their beers.

GetMeAnIPA and Beer_Economicus like this.
  32. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,358) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Yeah, that's the case with The Farmhouse , a nearby brewery. Prior to COVID , they would only bottle [22oz, mostly] what they were bringing to farmers markets . Stopped doing even that for awhile, until the shutdown hit.
    They've been bottling certain things ,occasionally, this year, and just recently got a 16oz crowler machine.Judging by what got canned , a pils, the main impetus for that was probably to clear tanks for upcoming fall seasonals, without dumping the beer.
    They're building a bigger brewery now, so that may change. (No mention of it - just a question/wish on my part.)

#32 mikeinportc, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Rug, PapaGoose03 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  33. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Zealot (509) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Hoops Brewing in Duluth, MN is kegs and 750ml crowlers.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Good point, I had never considered that as a reason so many brewers used to bottle in that large format

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  35. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (174) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Eclipse/50/50 brewing co?

Rug likes this.
  36. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (456) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Plan Bee Farm Brewery. Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'm sure there are a few other wild ale / small farm breweries around country only doing bottles, no 4-6 packs. Although hard to imagine them being better than the place I could walk to

37. o29

o29 Aspirant (287) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

I wondered about them too since we only get distribution of their Eclipse Imperial Stouts in my area, but FiftyFifty Brewing has other beers, some of which are canned such as this example from Untappd:

[​IMG]

Rug and Beer_Economicus like this.
  38. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (174) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I came here to bring them up. Their brewery / farm is gorgeous and their Cellar Beer is a ridiculously good rustic pilsner.

Sheppard, Rug and mmmbeerNY like this.
  39. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

The Bruery is another one that has moved a little but still seems to sell a lot of their stuff as 750/375 ml single bottles

BBThunderbolt and Rug like this.
  40. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (337) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is distributed beers a qualification for the question? I bet a number of small breweries still sell beers as singles. I stopped at one in Westfield the other day, Kismet Brewing. $16 oz cans sold by the single.