Single to dual?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by BigTina, Mar 1, 2017.

1. BigTina

BigTina Initiate (105) Mar 1, 2017 Florida

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (452) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I don't have experience with commercial kegerators, but if you can get a couple of regulars here to chime in (@billandsuz - @DougC123 ) I believe they can help. Unrelated . . . if your husband ever strays, would you PM me?

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Aspirant (297) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Great choice with the BM 23. That is a rock solid appliance.

For this application you really should buy the complete set up. You don't want to piece it together if you have not built a kegerator before. Really. If you are spending this amount of money, and it is well worth it, you want to be sure all the parts fit correctly. Find a seller you think is good, with the ability to specify all components.

You will need
    1. 2 faucet tower that fits the BM 23.
    2. regulator
    3. 2 way air distributor
    4. 2 "D" couplers
    5. cleaning kit
    6. Beer Line Cleaner aka BLC
    7. faucet wrench
    8. specified faucets if possible
    So that's a lot for someone who has never worked in a kegerator. Beverage Air sells to commercial buyers.
    But we can help.
    Cheers.

BigTina likes this.
  4. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (466) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

If you read lower down in the link you provided they offer the dual tower for an additional $89.
    For this kind of spend go with the best parts and pieces. All stainless and all name brand. Perlick, Kegco, Taprite.

BigTina likes this.
  5. BigTina

Well while I've never built a kegerator, I wouldn't say we are not mechanically inclined. Him especially knows his way around heavy machinery. It's more the surprise factor of having it and the pieces for him to have at it. Bam!

I should have been more specific that I found that single faucet beverage air, new, for 1k.

Thanks for the great info! I got a kegco dual tower, two perlick flow control faucets, longer beer lines ( since it seems to be the consensus on other threads), air line, two d couplers, the wrench tool,.....

The regulator however. Any specific reccomendations? I'm in about 1.5k. I'd like to stay under 2k.

6. BigTina

Fair enough. I've pulled the trigger though because I was impatient. After buying the extra odds and ends, I'm hoping I'm not making the mistake of not throwing in that last 500.

7. DougC123

Subscriber

Get a dual product regulator, again Taprite or Kegco. It will have three gages on it - one for each line and one shows the tank volume. Should run you less than $200.

billandsuz likes this.
  8. DougC123

Subscriber

Probably more like $100.

9. billandsuz

I agree with Doug.
    You want this
    [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]
    The top regulator allows for independent pressures on both kegs which is nice. But that thing is side heavy and will tip over if you are not careful.

The model on the bottom is pretty self explanatory. One pressure both kegs, and your best option.

I doubt your supplier is including a regulator or an air distributor (which is just a valve for CO2 gas to be split after the regulator). They also did not include your couplers which is the thing that "taps" the keg.

Here
    [​IMG]
    Get two. D Sanke coupler. Get the "D" it is the right key for 99% of American kegs.

You have a CO2 tank already, right?
    You are on your way.

10. billandsuz

Oh, you need gas line.
    You can get proper beverage gas line if you like or you can just get two lengths of braided PVC from Lowes. You'll want about 5' for each coupler. 5/16" ID. And hose clamps.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to replace the beer lines without a fair amount of work. It can be done without the special "Tower Wrench" but it's really a pain. There is practically no room for a wrench inside the tower.

If you have at least 5' of 3/16" bev line, preferably 6' or 7' you'll be ok.

And get the cleaning kit.

11. billandsuz

The high pressure gauge actually shows tank pressure, not volume. Being a stickler here Doug.

12. DougC123

Subscriber

5 years of engineering school down the drain.

billandsuz likes this.
  13. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (452) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

14. DougC123

Subscriber

Exactly. Me and Bluto.

15. billandsuz

Fat drunk and stupid is noway to go through life son.

DougC123 likes this.
  16. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (154) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I purchased a Beverage Air from MicroMatic about five years ago. Never had an issue. Plus, depending where you are in FL, MicroMatic has a location in Pasco.

BigTina likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe