Singlecut Beersmiths, Astoria, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by yossle, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (513) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Yes!!! I used to LOVE full stack, but if we're talking about the same batch (first batch of cans?), I couldn't believe what I was tasting. It was a goopy syrupy mess.

jrnyc likes this.
  2. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,162) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Beginning of June batch that was in cans is what I had. I think there may have been an earlier ban batch.

SC was a good alternative to OH for me for awhile, but with OH knocking most of their beers out of park in last 18 months or so and being a bit easier to get, my days of drinking SC are waning.

avas and PapasDelicateCondition like this.
  3. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (588) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I havent bought a singlecut beer in half a year or more. I like to buy my beer in bulk to limit trips, purchases, etc. No way am I pumping out $24 for a 4-pack.

4. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,588) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

The SC designation has been transferred to sand city, due to both the quality of the beer and the price point. :smiley:

SudsDoctor, hyperguy220 and jrnyc like this.
  5. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,549) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    DDH Softly Spoken Magic Spells IIPA is back in town this week. Limited distribution in most markets, and @singlecuttaproom Friday 4pm.

tun and yossle like this.
  6. yossle

yossle Initiate (149) Dec 31, 2016 New York

Saw some DDH SSMS in the wild today, but at $26 a four-pack, it seems awfully hard to justify. Fortunately I was able to buy a single at $6... *insert eye roll*

rozzom and kthoag like this.
  7. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (321) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

What's crazy about their pricing is I just got a keg of 18 Watt for $90 out the door for my kegerator from my local shop which comes to ~$2.20 per pint. DARL would've been $255 for the 1/2 keg or $2.05 per pint. Their cans cost roughly double per pint.

Obviously there should be some markup on cans, but not even close to double. Why are their cans so damn out of line with their pricing?

8. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (127) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

lucky you.. they are 7.49/can at Bread & Honey...

9. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (127) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

never been to their tasting room, but how is 4pk pricing there? Seems to me it's an unwillingness to sell to distributors at a typical discount.... can't say I blame them, but the product quality and customer demand should warrant that kind of premium... the fact they need to distribute to sell through production at retail would indicate otherwise... I don't mean to criticize their beers, as I like their beers quite a bit, but as you said very hard to justify paying those prices.

FonyBones likes this.
  10. yossle

When I've purchased at the brewery it's almost always been $20 a 4pack.

11. soma27

soma27 Initiate (97) Dec 18, 2014 New York
    Trader

I know the DDH full stack was $22 at the brewery (and disappointing, I normally really like their beers). They are just getting to expensive to buy over some of the other options.

jrnyc likes this.
  12. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (127) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Has anyone tried the new batch of DDHSMSS? It has to be God tier DDHSSMS to justify a $7.49 per can price tag.

13. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (94) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Especially since that was a 3 month old 4 pack.

14. Shawn_Sins

Shawn_Sins Initiate (64) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

This batch of Does anybody remember laughter - in draft - is soooo good. Is that equinox (eukanot) hops?!?! Classic singlecut at its best.

15. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (388) Jun 25, 2016 New York

For anyone that cares, it looks like CitiBike is expanding into Astoria, so I can finally (citi)bike there and stop paying stupid retail prices.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  16. yossle

Pretty sure it's fresh since it just arrived, but I'll check the date later to confirm.

17. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (94) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Ah. I just assumed they weren't releasing until Friday like normal but I see there's no date on that announcement

18. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

But you are paying to rent a bike to go to the brewery where u will still overpay. Not as much as retail but they are still a bit higher than others.

rozzom and guinness77 like this.
  19. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (388) Jun 25, 2016 New York

I pay yearly and its a fraction of the cost of what I pay yearly for the subway so it doesn't bother me. I'd just like to visit the brewery and check out the space, but have yet to make it over.

I shit on Food Emporium a lot in the Grimm thread for their awful practices and price gouging, looks they want $8.99 for a can of DDH SSMS. Screw that place.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  20. ROXONE

ROXONE Initiate (70) Jun 23, 2016 New York
    Trader

Their website indicates 9/8 as the release at the brewery.

21. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,549) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

new batch of DDH SSMS tastes great but $22/4pk..uggh:confused:

22. BoardwalkBock

Their prices really suck. I love their beer but havent bought anything in at least 8 months.

yossle, guinness77 and 2Xmd like this.
  23. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Aspirant (207) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Their beer is $7/can when it hits upstate. Absolutely hilarious. Grimm/Finback/Gun Hill -- or any other IPA/DIPA that hits up here -- is NEVER more than $5/can. Often cheaper than that even. And these dudes are out here selling their beer for so much that it's 40% more expensive than their direct peers/competitors.

A real shame, because Jenny Said, Boxcar Joe and some of the other new stuff is fantastic, but I refuse to support their pricing model.

24. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Has anyone ever brought the pricing up with the brewery? I am just curious what their stance is.

rozzom likes this.
  25. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (829) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I've seen them say they pay all of their employees a living wage. Whatever that means.

jrnyc likes this.
  26. yossle

Date was from last week.

27. jrnyc

Trader

Batch of regular Full Stack I had 3 or 4 months ago was awful. Even the recent batch of my beloved Mo Shuggie was only average. Not sure if their quality is going down or my taste buds have been spoiled buy other local options.

guinness77 and hoppytobehere like this.
  28. topsham134

topsham134 Initiate (16) May 18, 2017 New York

This pricing is getting out of control. I vote with my wallet and I refuse to pay these kind of prices. After all, isn't beer 90%+ water?!?

29. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Not that I disagree with any of y'all on price, but I can't help but wonder WHO then is paying for these beers that they keep pumping them out at that price?

30. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,486) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I bought one can of Mo Shuggie ($7) because that is usually my favorite SingleCut beer and it looked and tasted nothing like what I'm used to. I'm done.
    [​IMG]
    Does that look like Mo Shuggie to any of you?

I'm getting 2 cans of SSMS on Tuesday because it's part of a package deal (OH and Interboro) I'm getting. I've seen SSMS in 2 different stores and didn't buy because of the price.

31. AM824

AM824 Initiate (69) Dec 9, 2015 New York

I live in the area so I go to the brewery a fair amount, and their draft pricing is very fair and normal for the market, so I'm not sure why their cans are priced so much higher than market. The other breweries face the same NYC rent/regulation problems and hop prices so it's not like any of the problems are unique to SingleCut specifically.

They do offer discounts on cases (I think $20/4pk cases were $110 which is close to $18/4pk effective) but that's not relevant for most buyers.

On the actual beer taste front, latest batches of Weird & Gilly and DDH SSMS were insanely good....especially W&G. Think it's my favorite SingleCut beer.

yossle likes this.
  32. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (305) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

Yep. I'll pay whatever they charge for W&G.

JosephThompson likes this.
  33. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (117) Apr 9, 2008 New York

Literally the only SC beer I'll buy cans of at this point.

JosephThompson likes this.
  34. jrnyc

Trader

Pictures can be deceiving, but looks much darker than normal.

35. ROXONE

ROXONE Initiate (70) Jun 23, 2016 New York
    Trader

I was at the brewery on Saturday - this batch of DDH SSMS is definitely on point...

In terms of the pricing it didn't make any sense to me that a 4 pack of cans was $22, but a 64oz growler was $24...

I like SC and I live down the block, but the prices are getting ridiculous and they have trouble with consistency on a lot of their beers. It makes it hard to support them, even though I love the idea of a dope brewery within walking distance of my house.

I was also REALLY disappointed that they never responded when I sent in two labels from infected Oak aged HBOL bottles, which people were instructed to do on the website... I had assumed I would get something in return... Poor form.

2Xmd, FonyBones and jrnyc like this.
  36. yossle

Incredible beer. Definitely my favorite from them.

37. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (215) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

They can be deceiving but he's outside. I wanted to question the lighting myself and then realized the chair and table. That's dark as hell.

guinness77 likes this.
  38. yossle

Is it possible that can is oxidized? Otherwise that is disappointing.

39. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,486) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Nothing about the feel of the can seemed off to me, it was probably about 3 weeks old when I opened it and @beertoro , good eyes, I was outside when I had it. I'm guessing no oxidation, although I guess that's possible, I just think this batch was off. It looked and tasted like a completely different beer to me.

VABA likes this.
  40. BoardwalkBock

Pretty unlikely that oxidation occurred that quickly. Looks like consistency issues, again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.