News SingleCut Buys Shmaltz's Brewing Facility

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Greyvtrayn, May 22, 2018.

1. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (304) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Lots of overlap and transition and time stamp talk. It didnt seem too clear. What does this really mean?

Shmaltz will eventually be only contract brewed at various facilities, while Singlecut breaks into their own at the former Shmaltz facility?

Feels like Shmaltz feels like they can succeed without a true brewhouse, and just a Troy tasting room and bottle shop, while having their beers brewed everywhere but their home base following the 2018 transition. Sounds like an easy way to say they sold out. Its also an easy way to say that Singlecut will help transition this brewery for a couple months then completely cut them off.

Sounds like consolidation with contract brewing in mind for one of the two

2. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (304) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

The brewbound article is much clearer
    After selling their Coney island brand to SA for a cool $3 mil, which helped fund the Clifton park facility, sales at Shmaltz are down. Why not sell to a local brewery on the up and up. The Shmaltz owner seems perfectly okay with being 100% contract brewed from here on out. Its all about branding, right?
    As far as I can see, Shmaltz may want to to continue but they very well may be done in a year or two. Unless contract brew is truly profitaible, we can call the $3.25 million dollar expansion of Shmaltz a disaster (unless they got most of that back in the sale to SingleCut).

That's the scoop of the story that I saw from my perspective. Let that be a lesson learned. The strong are scooping up the weak for mere pennies from my view

stevesbeer, FonyBones and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  3. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (236) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I can't add any additional clarity to it. But I think you nailed the main points, Shmaltz will be relying on contract brewing for the time being and SingleCut, once fully operational in Clifton Park, will be brewing strictly SingleCut, no contract brewing.

4. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (346) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Schmaltz = super gimmicky
    SingleCut = good, but WAY too expensive, and always hearing about infection issues

maybe this will help them both step (back?) into relevancy!

tzieser and Daveshek28 like this.
  5. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (475) Mar 5, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Singlecut is a brewery I would try, but currently they are just one of the breweries that I skip due to their bottle pricing
    If that changes because they move upstate then I'll give them a shot

6. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (161) Mar 10, 2018 New York

Agreed. Although they seem to be backing off the 'He-Brew' routine a bit, maybe running out of Judaic puns. But still always a gimmick... radio station beer, local area code beer. etc. Their labels tend to be cluttered, and I don't always have the patience to read them in the store, to figure out what's in the bottle. I do really enjoy their Hop Manna IPA, but the proposition of a buying a 4-pack for the price of a 6-pack is not a big grabber for me.

On the other hand, they also brew High Cliff IPA which is the propriety store brand for Stewart's Shops convenience stores ($8.99 a sixer), a good deal and I generally grab one whenever I am at a Stewart's store (which are located pretty much everywhere around here).

[​IMG]

bret717 and jmdrpi like this.
  7. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (553) Feb 26, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Does Foreign Objects still brew at Shmaltzs facility? Wonder if/how this impacts their brewing operation.

tzieser likes this.
  8. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (236) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

They do but, I read recently that they intend on moving and I wonder if it was related to the SingleCut purchase.

tzieser likes this.
  9. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Aspirant (210) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Wonder if this will bring 4pack pricing for Singlecut to less than $25 in VT.

10. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (525) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The Brewbound article states that Shmaltz will continue to operate its new tasting room in Troy under a farm brewers license. I haven't been to the space in Troy, but do they have a brewhouse there? How can you be a farm brewer, and get tax breaks, without a brewery?

11. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (580) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Though I like Singlecut's IPA's and drink them on draft around town when I see them, I won't pay their ridiculous high prices for bombers and 4-packs. I'm with you, hopefully this can make their packaged beer more affordable.

HopsDubosc likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,545) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Are people buying those beers or are they just sitting on the shelves collecting dust?

Cheers!

FarmerTed, hillind and Daveshek28 like this.
  13. HopsDubosc

Beer Trader

Twice I've purchased a single can at $6 or $7 rationalizing that's what I'd pay for a pint at a bar. I believe they were 'Softly Spoken Magic Spells' and 'The Workers are Going Home'. While both were good I do not see myself making future purchases at that price.

14. coquet

coquet Initiate (79) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

In addition to the pricing (agreed) and infection (both of the BA Heavy Boots bottles I've bought) issues you noted, they also have enormous consistency problems, both between and within batches. I gave them several tries to win me over, largely because of their responsive customer service, but I've given up on them and stopped buying their product.

15. ClarkVolk

ClarkVolk Initiate (105) Dec 11, 2016 Massachusetts

Can't keep their stuff on the shelves at the shop I work at in western MA. Usually sells out the same day we receive it.

Onemoresolo, Dan_K and JackHorzempa like this.
  16. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Especially since walking into a VT bottle shop there's tons of great local options that are much cheaper and probably more consistent. I've been to a couple of those VT bottle shops and said who here would actually purchase singlecut? Maybe just to try it once. For the record, I do enjoy most of singlecut's offerings, but the consistency issues and price tag make it a hard sell.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Wow, that's honestly surprising.

18. FonyBones

FonyBones Initiate (33) Dec 19, 2015 New York

Surprised as well. If you don't mind sharing, what other beers move that quickly in your store?

In any event, I hope this expansion helps them lower prices, improve consistency, and produce more lagers. I used to go to Singlecut on the regular, but these three issues have turned me away.

19. ClarkVolk

Beers from the same distributor (Craft Collective) have the same sell-out rate, for the most part. Finback, Common Roots, Fiddlehead, Aeronaut, and Four Quarters to name a few from that distributor. For the record, we (and other stores near us) do not receive much more than a few cases of these beers a week.

FonyBones likes this.
  20. HopsDubosc

Beer Trader

Four Quarters has Mass. distro? That's my local after work spot.... they're tiny... didn't know production had ramped up enough for out of state shipments. Very cool.

21. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

If what you are reporting here is typical for Singlecut sales then there really is no business incentive for them to lower their prices.

I have had a few SingleCut beers on draft and I thought they were good - very good. There is no way in hell I personally would pay $25 for a 4-pack of these beers but that is just me.

Cheers!

22. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (125) May 9, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

About 2 years ago a friend of mine hosted a blind tasting of local by ipas which included singlecut, other half, common roots, finback, kcbc, greenpoint, lic beer project and interboro.. Singlecut bon bon won everyone over including me and thats why they always have a spot in my fridge no matter the price tag. Great news coming from an amazing brewery

Jlabs, Onemoresolo and Daveshek28 like this.
  23. ClarkVolk

Very limited, couple cases here and there. Currently have Schmilsson, Pena Peno, and Window Waker on the shelf.

The caveat of selling out almost immediately is that stores do not often receive more than 1-3 cases of any given beer from them.

HopsDubosc likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

Would you think that is very different from other out of state retailers? It is my understanding that there is presently not a lot of SingleCut to go around at the moment.

Perhaps deliveries will be larger in 2019 once the Clifton Park brewery is fully up and running? Or maybe SingleCut will instead decide to increase the size of their distribution so your allotments will stay the same?

Cheers!

25. JoePasko

I can imagine that, for some, the pressures and demands of owning and operating a full-scale production brewery can suck the fun out of making beer. Lake Placid and Davidson Brothers are two other NYS brewing concerns that come to mind. Each opened their own production breweries (in Plattsburgh and Queensbury, respectively), and subsequently sold them. In both cases the owners said they wanted to focus on running their respective restaurant/brewpubs, brewing pilot batches and brewpub-only beer, with the smaller on-premises equipment, and with their bottled beer now being produced under contract. In the case of Davidson, their beer is now contract-brewed at the brewery they formerly owned.

26. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,912) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

It's coming full circle. Is the next beer "Resurrection of a Contract Brewer"? Move from Jewish to Christian theme....

[​IMG]

BruChef and JoePasko like this.
  27. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,912) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I thought the Jewbelation series were usually good, and same with Lenny's RIPA

BigJim5021 likes this.
  28. JoePasko

Oh yeah, good beer for sure, my wife & I just got home from dinner out with my Mom, my brother & sister-in-law. Tops Restaurant at the 5 Corners, in Rotterdam NY. Had two Messiah brown ale drafts with my meal, very smooth.

jmdrpi likes this.
  29. Curedmeatncheese

Curedmeatncheese Initiate (154) Aug 9, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Singlecut produces solid ipa/dipas for sure. They have a few that are standouts(tnt bon bon and softly spoken magic spells), but to me, many taste very similar. What drives me crazy is what everyone else has stated, their prices. I saw a 4% session ipa that was $22 a 4pk. That’s just insane.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  30. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (580) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Related to this topic is Singlecut's partnership with Wegman's grocery stores to provide " the freshest beer":

https://singlecut.com/2018/05/14/wegmans-the-freshest-program-18-watt-ipa/

Checked it out for the 1st time yesterday, beer was available in Burlington, MA.
    Beer was $12.99 / 4 X 16 (decidedly lower $ than I've seen for any Singlecut product) and tasted pretty good. Can date was 5/16, which isn't amazingly fresh but at 3 weeks this particular beer still tasted good.

31. hillind

hillind Aspirant (283) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I picked up A single can of DARL last week on 5/31 that was canned 5/29 at Wegmans...couldn't believe it was there that fast.

SABERG likes this.
  32. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,210) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Their $20+ four packs sell pretty quickly here in NJ. Their non IPA stuff tends to hang around longer.

33. bret717

bret717 Savant (946) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member Beer Trader

In the Harrisburg area, there are 2 distributors that sell Singlecut beers (that I'm aware of), and their 4 packs sell for about $25, tax included. They usually sell out within a few days from what I've seen.

JackHorzempa likes this.