Sixpoint Beer Purchasing App

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Vizualize, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  2. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (362) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Strohm and 2Xmd like this.
  3. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

i guess if you visit sixpoints taproom or brewery this is cool... i'd imagine they can sell the software to some other spots that have more walk up business... no clue what kind of volume sixpoint moves for walkup sales... i can say i've never been there nor even contemplated visiting, the app won't change that... if i lived closer it might though

just my .02

4. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (122) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

I can't really see this catching on, except at maybe places that don't have the whole #linelife culture.. what's missing is the whole sub-culture around lining up at the "hot" breweries... the trades that happen there, etc. many people are going because they WANT to be in that line and brag about the effort they went through and the fact they were able to secure a rare and sought after beer.

however, I guess OTOH the non #linelife breweries are a much bigger portion of the market.. so what do I know..

this is probably a natural area for untappd to explore though....

5. NewmansOwn

I was joking about the taproom but it looks like it is actually opening for their first canning run pickup on the 30th. Check their Instagram for the beta.

6. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

We can assure you that for every person who wants to wait in line for 4 hours to get a six-pack of beer, there are 100 people who would rather get their beer in 30 seconds or less.

7. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (568) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

Coming from someone who has been in line at OH for at least 8-10 releases, I can honestly say that there was not a single time where I wouldn't have preferred to pick up my beer with no wait. And I'm sure I'm not alone

8. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (155) Oct 23, 2015 New York

Without a doubt this...!

9. SCW

This is the epitome of herd mentality right now in craft beer. Customers have simply become accustomed to bad customer service, and the industry is rife with clichés. Some brewers are even arrogant enough to brag about how long their line is. That's essentially bragging about how wildly inefficient your operation is, and how poor the customer service is. But that will all come crashing down once people are delivered much more value for their time and money invested. Look out below!

Who knows, maybe the Mad Scientists will be able to innovate the wildly clichéd taproom as well:

[​IMG]

10. underwater_

underwater_ Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 New York

How does your new tasting room compare to the fictional tasting room mentioned in your reddit AMA years ago?

Hirshi likes this.
  11. underwater_

Herd mentality makes tickers want a local presence and actual physical place somewhere in the state that makes the beer that might also allow you to consume it on premises before registering a "BKLYN" trademark I guess. Idiot sheeple. Check out this app, its what you really want. FARM -> some other state -> contract brewer -> grocery store distro -> can with "BKLYN"™ -> APP -> going to RedHook and literally only being outside your car for 30 seconds -> pint at home

Hirshi likes this.
  12. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,294) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Why not both? :stuck_out_tongue:

13. SCW

Both being delivered.

14. underwater_

You couldn't visit if you wanted to, they've had zero presence in brooklyn for Years. They've been joking about it longer than NewmansOwn has.

Why not at least one in 10 years instead of scaling your entire operation non-local while registering your county name as a trade mark? And then having the huevos to come onto a local community forum to shitpost memes (can I get a shadowbanhammer on that image?) that make fun of actual local breweries who have physical tasting rooms instead of online marketing pushes inorganically inviting people to your Potemkin taproom for years on an order of magnitude the budget.

#14 underwater_, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Hirshi likes this.
  15. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (122) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

what you call bad customer service is more a function of demand outstripping supply...sure hype and marketing plays into this as well, but say other half moves to this system, I can only see the complaints about how unfair it was because not everyone local was able to buy, how all these out of staters who haven't been supporting the brewery got beer...etc. I exaggerate, but my point is, it seems the problem you are trying to solve goes away when you produce enough beer to meet demand....

Strohm likes this.
  16. NewmansOwn

Don't drag me into this! Haha jokes aside, while Sixpoint hasn't had a taproom in BK they still make beer there and distribute.

I'm just glad that after years of saying 'big things are coming' they are finally making moves. The app sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of destroying the insanity that happens at OH on saturdays.

17. jmdrpi

Society

Yeah, I get that Sixpoint isn't the best ones to deliver the message. But that doesn't mean that what they say about standing in line is wrong.

18. bdogdm3

bdogdm3 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2016 New York

This is the issue. It's not even waiting in the line for a couple hours with your buddy shooting the shit. It's the absolute joke notion that everyone has to be loud and obnoxious (if you went to the citra daydream release, one person in particular) and you have to have your boys roll up at 945 to join you in line without a wrist band.

Last release I went to some a-hole "bro" in his Vineyard Vine attire and backwards hat just casually strolled into the line about 15 people away from the garage door. A big smug move. Like nothing happened. What is that crap? We need to drink 12% stouts and get drunk and drive home. And everyone max out so we can go get more drunk at home then sell 90 of our 100 beers.

Wrist bands and cutting the boozing in line would be a simple fix quite honestly.

Daveshek28, Jaycase, rozzom and 3 others like this.
  19. SCW

Bro, you are foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog. We've had conversations in the past, but it is clear that you are just absolutely hell-bent on being negative and have a bone to pick without ever engaging in any personal, productive dialogue. But the offer still stands if you want to actually come down to the brewery and meet the people at the company and hang out - perhaps during one of our product releases. I'll make sure to be there to personally provide the tour. Or, you can continue to just spout negativity from behind a computer monitor. Your choice.

we're not talking about matching production and demand though....we're talking about throughput....there is a critical difference

We know we are right about this. And the customers agree as well.
    Sounds like an optimized retail experience!

20. underwater_

There are probably more options than that. I'm not asking for a tour, I'm taking issue with the fact that one of the biggest operations that takes this borough as their branding doesn't have local hours or presence, but is willing to shit on actual local breweries that do, in order to try to sell an app.

“Like you’re purchasing from Amazon or Dominos Pizza or whatever,” Welch says.

Great, been waiting for the Dominos pizza of local beer.

rojapa, psychgawsple and Hirshi like this.
  21. underwater_

YOU (cromagnon local brewery running a small operation): Let us hire real, local people in an attempt to distribute our product and serve it on site.

SHANE "KALANICK JAMPAD" WELCH (enlightened): Step aside fools, we made an app

rojapa, scottDC, Hirshi and 1 other person like this.
  22. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (128) Jun 8, 2016 New York

I signed up for the beta, would we expect to get confirmation when the app is released?

SCW likes this.
  23. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York

The app will be amazing if the beer is amazing. The app will be a waste if the beer isn't amazing. It's that simple.

24. underwater_

I am just excited for the first bottles from their upstream supply innovation program to finish conditioning.

Hirshi likes this.
  25. jmdrpi

Society

Sixpoint will still need to have employees to handle the beer and run cash registers. They appear to just be making those same number of X employees more effective (from a consumer standpoint) because you are spreading the customer load over a greater time period.

Would you be happy if your local grocery store only sold food at 10am on Saturdays with 5 cash registers, so you had to wait hours to buy your food? No. Instead they staff those same 5 cash registers everyday of the week, and there is never more than 3 people in line because people shop at a time that is personally convenient. If that's how the app works, that makes sense to me.

26. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

I'm so confused. Why are people upset at this again?

Yes! I read about how it sometimes takes hours for breweries get to everyone in these lines. This make no sense! Prepackage your beer and run the selling and pickup operations in parallel rather than in series. If a lot of a brewery's expenses are fixed, then the faster you sell your beer the more money you make (doubly so if it means your customers spend more time in your taproom after buying the beer instead of drinking in your parking lot). Sounds like you guys are on the right track.

HorseheadsHophead and SCW like this.
  27. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (238) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

@Sixpoint

Question for someone who would come from NJ to pick-up (and tried to sign up for the app but i had trouble).

you mention pick up only on a specific saturday. Will you be extending the window to other days?

More of a question about a sunday pick-up if saturday didn't work..and even more of a week day pick up? (some of us work from the road and a 11am tuesday may be great as opposed to a wednesday 5pm release)

HorseheadsHophead and SCW like this.
  28. underwater_

The reason the situation exists at the breweries they are comparing themselves too is because of a limited supply. Nobody lines up at grocery stores because grocery stores will not run out of food for the week after 300 people served.

Strohm likes this.
  29. jmdrpi

Society

But if you can allow those 300 people to pre-purchase and spend less time waiting, isn't that a good thing?

A small brewery here in PA switched to this model. You can pre-pay online and then pickup whenever you want within 7 days with your ID.
    http://vaultbrewing.com/news-and-events/double-can-release-129/

30. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,020) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Did Shane beat you up at high school or something?

31. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

what is "new and disruptive" about this other than it being an app? Breweries use online sales all the time, and many people still hate it and would rather wait in line (see: those who missed out on ANTEAD or any other Kane offerings, or the hundreds of other online sales that have happened). Threes also does this, and it works well, so what's new? That it's an app instead of their website?

And how does this address demand significantly outstripping supply at places like Other Half? It just turns into a quasi-lottery with people refreshing hoping they get an allocation, only to be angry when they get shutout when it sells out in the first 10 seconds...I get that likely won't be a problem for Sixpoint, but this doesn't really solve any problem given how many people complain about missing out during online sales at any brewery with demand>supply.

32. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

A lottery makes a lot more sense than allocating beer based on who has nothing to do on Saturday morning.

33. jmdrpi

Society

Is demand outstripping supply because of local drinkers - or only because of traders and mules for re-sellers?

Perhaps the answer is using technology to limit the number of beers purchased per month or year by each user or credit card #. If someone is buying 2 cases of $100+/case beer every week, its not because they are drinking it all.

34. underwater_

Maybe it can check if they're actually driving all the cars they own or really need all their landholdings too? Honestly, was hoping Sixpoint was using this app as a prelude to Big Announcement Number Three: Sixpoint figured out Universal Basic Income and eliminated income inequality and therefore sees no reason to have a positive local impact in our now fully-automated society.

Strohm, Hirshi and xmattxyzx like this.
  35. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (238) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

if this bothers you so much..why keep posting and trolling?

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  36. jmdrpi

Society

Nice false equivalence. Re-selling of beer is black market and has a negative effect on the average beer consumer. The only reason you'd want it to continue is if you're illegally profiting off it.

ECdOc likes this.
  37. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

More power to Sixpoint for trying something new. They might not be the current flavor of the week but they make some damn good beers. Why don’t we wait and see how this actually works before jumping to conclusions?

38. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,020) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My two cents:

1. If you want to support hyper-local breweries that sell a big chunk / all of their highly limited canned/bottled inventory at the brewery by way of long lines, then there are a plethora of options in NYC and the surrounding area to choose from. If Sixpoint/apps ain't your thing then I don't think there's a need to be upset - you're well catered to.

2. Whether these breweries which are truly more local, are actually better or not for the local community is up for debate - no need to get into the specifics here - we've all seen the arguments made on both sides ad nauseam in the various different brewery threads, but it's more complex than simply where the beer is brewed.

3. While yeah it's harder to romanticize Sixpoint's business model, let's all remember that they started life way before the hyper local movement, and in a much different beer environment. In 2004 how many people (even at the nerd end of the spectrum) would have traveled to Red Hook and then subsequently lined up for several hours for beer? Sixpoint have travelled down a different path. Can't really compare or overly judge their decisions. But I personally am glad that there's going to be a physical space, in Brooklyn, to visit soon.

4. Other Half are Other Half and Sixpoint are Sixpoint, so you can't really compare. But I do agree with the points being made that, taking the brewery out the equation, is a solution like this really going to fix the supply/demand issue for highly sought after, highly limited beer? Probably not. It's just going to transfer the butt hurt from one segment to another. Personally I'd probably prefer to lose out to people with higher speed broadband and faster reaction times, than to people willing to line up at the wee hours on a Saturday. But then again with the OH model (that requires effort from people), I (as someone who will never line up) have good access to most of their beers after the crowd dies down. If that beer was being sold via an app (far less effort) then maybe I'd miss out more. Who knows.

Sorry I guess that was more like 20 cents.

zid, elproducer, guinness77 and 11 others like this.
  39. NickCaff

NickCaff Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

My only concern with the online sales in general is if it is going to work like buying tickets to sporting events and concerts. Anything that has a high demand sells out in seconds to scalpers and resellers. I have tried to get a bunch of concert tickets that sell out in less than a minute and then 10 minutes later there are hundreds of listing for tickets on stub hub for 2-3x the face value. People will find a way to beat the system no matter what.

Strohm and mumbles44 like this.
  40. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Do we really think Sixpoint is going to drive that high of demand? Threes right down the road does the web presale and there is never any danger of missing that. Finback also does a presale and that last for days. I see this as more of a convenience thing for customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.