Sixpoint Beer Purchasing App

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Vizualize, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (237) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

using an app as opposed to a website should limit the amount of Bots that can be used.

Also with multi step authentication on the app this will help as well.

2. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,008) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

True. But they still need to go and pick up the beers. I doubt it's going to be materially more attractive to resellers than the OH Method® is. Hopefully they'll have some sort of extra controls that help limit this as have been mentioned in the thread already. And at go-live I doubt will be a major issue

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  3. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Do it where people enter the lottery in a specified time window ( say 1 week), then when that window is over the brewery randomly picks the winners. This eliminates the component of who logins on fastest wins.

4. jrnyc

Trader

I like the idea of the app and eliminating lines, but as others have said the demand needs to far exceed the supply for this app to be valuable. Even now at Other Half, it is possible to roll in after line is gone and get all or almost all of their beers. Sooner or later supply is going to exceed demand, #linelife hype will die out and lines will be a thing of the past.

5. ingchr1

ingchr1 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 New York

This worked out great for me this summer. They were having a release and I happened to be down in that area on family vacation. Nice quick and easy pickup.

6. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (464) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

That could effectively 'kill' the hype train that is so beloved by some breweries.

mumbles44 likes this.
  7. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

We're not selling an app - the app was fully developed by our team and our partners, which took a tremendous amount of input, creative thought, and resources from our team. Max, Chris, Brittany, Luke, and a whole variety of folks put their minds and hearts into it to try to make it awesome. We're not selling it - the app is being given away for free. We sell beer - the app is simply a tool to help make the customer experience more enjoyable. Are you taking issue with that? Why are you against creating a better customer experience for beer drinkers? That's an odd position to take.

If not, it seems you are instead taking issues with the fact that we allegedly "don't have local hours or presence." In addition to spearheading the modern craft beer scene in NYC and producing beer in Brooklyn for 13 years, we just announced we are opening the gates to the brewery and having a retail presence for our inaugural releases. Are you now going to find a new reason to be upset?

Also, we are not shitting on any other local breweries - your attempt to create a straw man argument out of this is not helping your position, and you are only digging a deeper hole at this point. Some of the issues we alluded to are an industry-wide phenomenon - not once did we ever claim that this is a local problem or did we name any supplier this is endemic to.

But I guess you must still look for a controversy while none exists?

8. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (716) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

@Sixpoint Maybe I missed it but I am curious if the beers available for purchase on the App are not going to see any distribution? My favorite thing about Sixpoint (besides the beers and cool cans) is the wide distribution footprint and availability. As good an idea as this App sounds, if beers are going to be held back from distribution because of it that's not a good thing for me personally as day trips to Red Hook are not that easy.

9. SCW

Yes, you definitely will. Here is the tentative schedule:

9/22 - Beta goes live w/ an email to full list of people who signed up on our form
    9/25 - 12pm EST - Beer goes on sale with a push notification

enjoy

Yes, as we stated before, its all about the product. The app is merely a tool to help facilitate the transaction and make the customer experience more enjoyable. And there clearly is room for that in today's environment.

Good questions. We will be looking to potentially expand the window in the future, but for the inaugural release we are sticking to just a single day for pickup as we want to make sure the customer experience is the best it can be before we scale things. This will take a lot of learning and feedback from people like you to make sure we get it right. BTW - if you are experiencing any issues with signing up for the app, please email us now at app@sixpoint.com thanks!

If you think the sole issue of why there are long lines right now is because demand vastly outstrips supply, then why is there product leftover at the end of the day? Clearly if demand outstripped supply all of the product would be long gone. Everyone on this thread knows that is not the problem - the issue is a question of throughput. Given a constant level of demand and supply, if you simply change the speed at which you can process customer transactions, you can reduce wait times considerably or eliminate them altogether. This is a huge win for everyone involved, as both the brewery and the customers can reallocate that wasted time to other purposes. @jmdrpi already noted that simple, transactional items like paying for the actual beer can be done beforehand, and forcing the customer to do this at the brewery only slows down the rate at which the line moves.

Btw - thanks for the inspiring conversation today @underwater_ - we've decided to incorporate your feedback into our new mural design for thousands of customers to see on our new tasting room. You're now a bigger celebrity than just on BA.

[​IMG]

10. dhaakon

dhaakon Initiate (145) May 30, 2005 New York

No offense but @Sixpoint is sounding a little
    [​IMG]
    right now. It's one thing to want to promote your app but to come and take jabs at the new tap rooms that have arrived in the past 5 years is a little disappointing. I like some of your beers. I hope the small batch series is excellent, and if it is, the app will download itself. But you really haven't done much in the past 5 years since and you've been in the beer game long enough to know that it is pretty trendy. I'd rather see some true innovation than copying the same can photo on instagram that every brewery has and discussing 'throughput'. The best throughput for me is an amazing IPA traveling down my throat. Yeah, your marketing is spot on with the trends at the moment.. and sure, you're selling it pretty good ITT but until your beers are at the level of the micro-breweries that you're taking shots at, I'll be skeptical. Best of luck.

algebeeric_topology and ecpho like this.
  11. SCW

I think you got us all wrong. But that can often happen in discussions on message boards vs. in-person conversations. Its often hard to decipher tone.

The point is we agree with you. And the reality is we have been hyper-focused on true innovation, which to us means changing the paradigm or the way people actually learn about, engage with, and purchase beer from a brewery. We think we can make the experience better, and that is the rationale behind the latest two announcements and some additional forthcoming announcements we have. Its all driven towards the very same things you are talking about.

None of this matters though unless at the end of the day you and others are happy with the results - i.e. its all about whether or not we (or anyone else for that matter) can deliver a quality experience for the customer. There are no jabs at any breweries; there are simply elements of the industry right now that are a cliché and they are widely agreed upon by many on this thread and many people off this thread as well. Once everyone starts offering a similar (if not distinguishable) experience in an industry, it becomes a cliché. Hence the creation of the "tap room starter pack" - that image was created by someone else - not us. We just reposted it because we thought it was funny.

Hope to see you down at the brewery soon. We'll be interested to see what you think of the new beers and the experience.

cheers

12. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (379) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Is my name really on the side of a building!?

13. SCW

It really was just a joke, Brittany whipped up the rendering in a couple of minutes down at the brewery today after lunch.....intended to be light-hearted given the gravity of the tone here sometimes. It would be nice to think at the end of the day we could laugh at it all in pursuit of making better beer together. Don't forget - our customers, fans, and (especially) critics are the people that push us to do better.

But if you want your name on the side of our building, we can call you out!

:grin::laughing:

@underwater_ @dhaakon @jrnyc @jmdrpi @Daveshek28

14. dhaakon

dhaakon Initiate (145) May 30, 2005 New York

@Sixpoint you can use my name only if you name a beer 'throughput' in the future.

algebeeric_topology and jrnyc like this.
  15. SCW

Well its such a sexy name for a beer, I don't know how anyone could resist.

"Throughput: put beer through here"

[​IMG]

jrnyc likes this.
  16. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Pretty sure you guys need to rebrand your session beers as high throughput ales:

[​IMG]

I'll take my trademark royalties in beer. Thanks.

algebeeric_topology, jrnyc and SCW like this.
  17. SCW

You've just been promoted to head of Marketing.

18. underwater_

underwater_ Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 New York

So is this the first beer canned at the brewery one would be directly buying from in Brooklyn? little HAZY on the details in the GoodBeerHunting PUFF piece (you guys need someone to write copy?)

Hirshi likes this.
  19. jrnyc

Trader

Give it a rest already. @Sixpoint was gracious enough to invite you to the brewery, take him up on the offer and discuss this face to face with him.

20. underwater_

I appreciate that. I don't see why this question cannot be answered regardless, is nobody curious if they are canning in Brooklyn?

jrnyc likes this.
  21. SCW

Yes, this is the first beer we are small-batch canning out of our original Brooklyn production facility. All sales of this beer will be through the app. Come on down @underwater_ and let us know if you are - send me a PM and we'll keep an eye out for you. And yes, we'll let you interview for our copy writer position. :crazy_face:

Greyvtrayn, drtth, jmdrpi and 2 others like this.
  22. underwater_

Thanks for the answer! Glad to hear, our tapwater second to none. Will have to tweak my facade redesign a bit before applying to account for the good news. :innocent:

[​IMG]

23. bmony26

bmony26 Initiate (117) May 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Is this the new model for new beer releases? They will be brewery only and those areas in your distribution footprint will continue to get your current line-up? I enjoy your current beers but would also enjoy trying your new beers but living in WI makes it logistically near impossible to get your brewery only releases.

underwater_ likes this.
  24. underwater_

Future Mayor Hillfam Clinton will bring some over next time time she's in Wisconsin.

25. SCW

Hilarious man. You got me clowning over here. Not a bad way to start the day.

Hirshi, jrnyc and underwater_ like this.
  26. jrnyc

Trader

Thats some funny shit right there, well done!

Hirshi likes this.
  27. SCW

Yes, this is the new model for beer releases. We are incubating our product development team with our original production facility and crew headquartered in Red Hook, Brooklyn. That entire space is transforming as we speak and we spent the past 6 months doing an extensive gut renovation.

The local folks (or even folks who are visiting from out of town) will have first-dibs access to these new releases, as they will only be available at the brewery. However, that does not mean that if the beer becomes very popular over time that we won't scale the production of it. We might even harness excess, idle brewing capacity in order to do that. That's something that even @underwater_ can see the practical sense in, right? :-)

I also should let everyone know that we had the option to have our tasting room up and running months ago - even last year if we wanted to. But we intentionally and deliberately chose not to, because we don't want another run-of-the-mill cookie cutter hipster tasting room built from the microbrewery starter pack.

So instead, we took the more arduous and difficult path of doing a complete gut renovation, and we have ripped the entire premises down to the studs and tore up the floors as well. The entire space is going to be reimagined and integrated with our original brewery, humming along and making delicious beers since 2004.

Here are some images of the gut renovation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the brewing team and part of our Product Development team:

[​IMG]

Now let's crush.
    I'm an easy target, perhaps too easy given the parlance I drop!

28. NewmansOwn

This is slander, I said no such thing! I hope you have a good lawyer.

29. bdelucie

bdelucie Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2011 New Jersey

@Sixpoint maybe I'm too late to the party, but where is this app? The only Sixpoint app that I see is the Beer Finder.

Or, did I read that the app becomes available tomorrow?

Love your beers, keep up the good work!

30. kthoag

kthoag Initiate (0) May 21, 2012 New York

bdelucie likes this.
  31. SCW

The beta version of the app will be sent out to people tomorrow. You can sign up for it here:

http://sixpoint.com/beta/

After the first release, we will be releasing the full app for available download in both the iTunes store and the Google Play/Android store as well. But to be clear, that won't happen until after the first release. So you will need the beta version for access to the first round of beers.

bdelucie likes this.
  32. jrnyc

Trader

@Sixpoint The value prop of this app will be if demand > supply. Here are some free ideas for you:

• Instead of beers going on sale at a certain time, provide a window, say Saturday at 8am to Sunday 10pm for people to make their order. This will eliminate the age old fastest connection or quickest to the draw argument. Make people state the maximum amount of beer they want within the max limit.
    • After this window is over calculate how much beer people want against what you have and set limits accordingly
    If can get more complex than this, but this would really be a great way of doing it.

SCW likes this.
  33. SCW

Thanks for the free ideas. We are going off the assumption that demand will exceed supply.

For us, the value proposition is already built in for the customer because they wont' have a horrible experience wasting 4 hours of their time standing in line, which is what people in Soviet Russia did while waiting for basic necessities. Buying beer should be a seamless, easy experience - not a 5 hour ordeal.

Your idea is intriguing, but one thing it doesn't do is reward people for "getting there first." Like many things in life, there should be some type of incentive to be the first one there, and if you give too long of a window for all orders to stream in and then reallocate the product in a random way afterwards, it provides no sense of urgency for the customer. You still must act "while supplies last."

Our goal is really to eliminate the wait time and make the customer experience awesome by saving people a ton of time that they normally waste waiting in a line. In terms of the allocation of the product itself, we'll have to see how the first few rounds of releases go in order to gauge demand. After that, we'll be open to making innovations to continue to improve the experience.

cheers

jrnyc likes this.
  34. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (507) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

I got a pretty good laugh out of this.

SIxpoint does a great job getting craft beer across a broad distro to many folks that otherwise might not have access to much (they really do!), but "spearheading the modern craft beer scene scene in nyc" seems a bit excessive. Even for these beers, there's more interest in whether or not they'll get distro than in using the app.

I haven't seen pricing info anywhere and I know I've seen Sixpoint on BA questioning other brewery's motives behind their pricing. I'm eager to see how much cheaper these beers are than similar options. If they're in that $16-$20 per 4pk range and it's argued out of necessity because of small batch and blah blah scaling and premium single source hops, the circle of hypocrisy will be complete.

2Xmd and underwater_ like this.
  35. jrnyc

Trader

I am going to respectfully disagree on rewarding people for getting there first. This caters to the most extreme people in the culture. The average person who just wants to buy beer can't or won't line-up, they get shut out and won't be a customer. Once the extreme people move on to the next greatest thing, you are left with a very diminished customer base. Some of the people who go to extremes to line-up for beer also do illegal or undesirable things because it goes hand in hand with the extreme behavior they will go to to line-up for hours in advance of opening. Drinking illegally in public streets, driving drunk, illegally re-selling beer, urinating in public, disrupting the piece and quiet of neighborhoods, the list goes on and on. This of course is not everyone, but why reward these people?

On-line this would just shift to the people who enlist 20 friends to get try to buy the beer, or those who have many devices and technology to get an advantage over those who won't go to extremes. Why reward those people ?Look at concert tickets, average Joe has no chance and pays inflated prices for concert tickets because the pros have an advanatge. Do you really want to reward this behavior?

36. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

I dunno...while that's probably best in a vacuum, I think it's excusable for Sixpoint to try to capitalize off of a little bit of excitement/hype/rarity/whatever if the only inconvenience is that you have to hit refresh for a minute or two. I think we're a long way from a concert-like problem where the stuff sells out in seconds.

NewmansOwn likes this.
  37. NewmansOwn

As its been said multiple times, there are multiple breweries in the city that already offer online pre-sales that dont sell out. Beer is not concert tickets, average joe will be fine. At least for now...

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  38. jrnyc

Trader

My points and arguments are predicated on that this app will only have value if demand exceeds supply. If not, the app is moot.

39. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

There have been numerous instances of releases selling out in seconds. It happened last week with Kane. I doubt it will be an issue for Sixpoint, but they're talking about this as a "line killer" which online sales have proven not to be.

I really just don't understand how this form of online sale is anything different than anyone else. If other half wanted to adopt online sales to kill lines they could have and would have already. I really just don't see what's new here that's gonna "kill lines".

Also LOL @Sixpoint talking about doing something "different from hipster breweries" by opening up a taproom with a hazy IPA can release :rolling_eyes:

40. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (245) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Let's take a step back - I think this level of discussion with a brewery is very cool. Not a lot of other places engaging customers in this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.