Sixpoint Beer Purchasing App

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Vizualize, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (825) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

You forgot "post haul on Instagram with no less than 20 hashtags"

2. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,020) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

If you're drunk and need to do some drunken binge eating, a sloppystop at Hometown BBQ probably makes sense as well

3. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Cool, Sixpoint providing a solution to a problem they don't have: people lining up to purchase their beer.

Strohm, Rorshak16, Chroma914 and 5 others like this.
  4. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (176) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Well my take is that since they will soon have an actual taproom you can visit, and that they hired one of the trillium brewers- there may be some "NE style" IPA's coming, in which people may potentially line up for. Just a theory.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  5. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

"What time do we have to show up to guarantee full allotment?"

If you are at the brewery to pick up the small batch release of cans, the whole point of the app is that you don't have to show up early to guarantee a full allotment. If you bought the beer on the app, it will be guaranteed for you when you arrive during our pickup hours. You also don't have to wait in line and risk not getting any at all.

That being said, there are no walk-up sales of these cans - you do need to buy them on the app in order to pick them up at the brewery. Just want to make sure we are crystal clear on that so you don't show up disappointed...

I also want to be clear that this is not our tasting room, this is just a retail front in our courtyard so that people can pick up their cans they purchased on the app. We have an international crew of friends (street artists and graffiti artists) who are helping us transform the space. This is happening right now:

[​IMG]

It will be standing room only, as its not a bar or tasting room, but just a place for folks to pick up the can releases. We do not allow BYOB at this time.

There will be some limited merch items and glassware for sale, and we will also be offering samples of other creations.

The IKEA parking lot has hundreds of spaces, and is only one block away from our brewery.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  6. rozzom

Trader

Maybe your response was super dry and went over my head (if so well-played). But assuming your post is serious - I think Brian's post was tongue in cheek....

7. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Was this okayed by IKEA? I'd hate to get towed for illegally using their lot.

8. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

9. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (245) Mar 28, 2011 New York

@CassinoNorth Hmm, I'd wait on a line to buy a few cases of the Sierra Nevada Kolsch. That's becoming a legendary beer for us Kolsch fans. No mango, pineapple, lactose, half assed malt or weird hops . .

algebeeric_topology and SCW like this.
  10. SCW

Billy & Co. do amazing stuff. I remember when he first told me about his idea to do what he has done in Red Hook - dude has been crushing it (sober or intoxicated, the place rules).

Pretty shortsighted perspective, considering our distribution is spread amongst thousands of individual outlets. However, if you were to condense all of that distribution into a single point of sale and limited it to a single day of purchase (like some breweries have) it would be the longest beer line in the city by far.

We have some of those styles coming down the pipeline as early as a few weeks from now. But we talked at length with Eric and the other brewers, and instead of being a one trick pony, we plan on releasing a wide variety of styles, from Belgians to lagers to IPAs to barrel-aged stouts & porters to sours & beyond. But yeah, it would be great to get your feedback on our upcoming cloudy IPA releases, because we believe we can do it the best, and Eric has already been doing a lot of formulating so we can hit the ground running.

Hah, that's the problem. I'm embarrassed to say my response was not super dry nor well-played. I really did not pick up on Brian's tongue-in-cheek tone, so he got me on that one.

It was not okayed by them - you would be parking at your own risk. That being said, there are many people who do this regularly, and in the 9 years this lot has been open, it always seems to have excess capacity (open parking spaces) - mostly because its massive.

FWIW there is also a free shuttle (water taxi) that takes you to and from Manhattan. Its a really awesome boat ride and it drops you off only 1.5 blocks from the Sixpoint Brewery. It beats the hell out of the subway - not only because its free, but you get amazing views of the NYC harbor. Its free on the weekends too so its an awesome free ride if you are coming out to the Sixpoint can releases from Manhattan. The Sixpoint staff use it all the time!

"Consumers will wait in line for stuff that there is a limited supply of. If/when breweries find better ways to handle these, it will make other breweries do so too which can't happen quick enough."

But this problem has persisted for years now in craft beer, and there has not been a solution put forth yet by breweries to eradicate it. We are placing a huge bet on the premise that customers are tired of lining up like cattle in inefficient lines, and they will gladly opt out for a better solution if one is presented that allows them to get their beer in a fraction of the time.

Glad to see people are finally warming up to this style. For so many years it was overlooked and even had a bad rap (on the west coast, at least). Have you tried this one?

[​IMG]

rozzom likes this.
  11. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (245) Mar 28, 2011 New York

from your Instagram: "100% huell melon hops make this smell like honeydew and strawberries."

Between those hops and the name - respectfully, it does not sound like something I'd want to try.
    Some styles I do not like experimentation - a Kolsch is one of them.

12. SCW

I understand your position. But this is a Kolsch that uses no adjuncts or artificial flavors, it is made from 100% traditional malts, hops, water, and an authentic Kolsch yeast. We ferment it cold in the traditional format as well.

Huell Melon hops are very misunderstood, but mostly because of the way they are marketed. We've used them extensively and they actually have a real mild flavor, nothing intensely fruity or tropical. After doing some experimentation with formulations, we found they integrate exceedingly well into Kolsch beers.

At any rate, we'll probably have some fresh samples on draft if you make it down to the brewery next Saturday for the can release.

@JackHorzempa

13. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,201) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Climax was reached at post #115: The billboard

Nonetheless, more spiraling with the weight/strength of each argument and opposing view

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (650) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

#134 Ranbot, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  15. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

I love the idea. Would it work for Tired Hands or Treehouse with smaller capacity? Maybe not. But it's a great idea and I hope it's a trend going forward. Honestly as an owner not dealing with people lined up outside your business for hours has to be way preferred. Maybe that's just the Shaun Hill in me though.

16. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (466) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

@Sixpoint Still waiting for the email to sign up. make it happen :wink:

17. SCW

it certainly has been invigorating

I think we can all agree though that the cookie-cutter Irish pub phenomenon took off like a rocket and perhaps peaked in the 90s or so, but its definitely clichéd as can be at this point, and most definitely waning in popularity from its peak. Which is probably why people are gravitating to more authentic places in droves.

Yes, it would definitely work for them, but that would take actual investment and effort in the reduction of the line, instead of investment in documenting or advertising how long the line is.

You can sign up at any time: http://sixpoint.com/beta/

If you are referring to when you can download the beta version of the app, we are waiting for clearance from Apple through the iTunes store. We already have clearance for Android, but we want to release both at the same time. Shouldn't be too much longer.

cheers

jkane101 and SeanEDPBK like this.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,161) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

After all of this, I hope these beers are good!!

@Sixpoint How about a pre-sale code for all of us on this thread who have provided valuable information and entertainment?! We have earned "first in line" for all of these releases, even underwater.

19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,403) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Yes, they have. As has been mentioned in the thread, online ticket sales have been used by many breweries to eliminate lines for a release.
    IMO, people lining up for releases is not a problem but rather a symptom of a problem, with the latter being supply < demand. It is the potential for missing out on a particular release causing the need (real or perceived) to line up in the first place. FOMO. This is the problem for the customer. Further, it is when a customer does not get the beer when they then become upset. Missing out can happen whether they lined up for it or attempted to purchase online (website or app, as these are essentially the same activity, right? :wink:).

And you mention "average person" above and how these limited releases are not targeted to them. Those are the people, imo, who do not like lines (again, lines can be solved via online ticket sales) but then the 'average person' does not suffer from FOMO either. 'Advance beer drinkers' don't seem to mind lines in my observations. Again, as long as they are able to get the beer in question, they don't seem to have a particular issue with lining up for it. It seems to have become a perfectly acceptable part of the craft beer culture. The time in line seems to be used for trading, sharing, talking, etc for a good number of people who go to these types of releases.

I certainly appreciate you coming on here and discussing the topic. And it has certainly been an entertaining read. Again, I just don't think it's addressing a problem (supply <demand) but rather a symptom of the problem. And once again, online ticket sales already solve the line issue. I think there is more benefit to this app at this time for a brewery than there is to a consumer and the line aspect is the best sell to get people to download it. A bit cynical, perhaps, but it's just my opinion at this time. In any event, good luck. Cheers.

jrnyc likes this.
  20. SCW

Yup, as we said several times on this thread, at the end of the day its all about having a good product. We have thoughtfully built tools (app) to help the customer learn about the product, order the product, pay for the product, and retrieve the product as seamlessly as possible. In this sense, we are trying to put the customer in a position to succeed. But of course, we are ultimately setting the stage for the product to take the spotlight.

One thing you have to consider @RobNewton is that you are dealing with two totally different production and distribution paradigms in small-batch beer drank or purchased at the source, vs. large-scale production that is widely distributed. On one end of the extreme, you have very limited quantities, with all or nearly all of the consumption happening directly at the brewery, or picked up from the brewery for take-home consumption. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have large-scale production, with distribution through hundreds or thousands of individual outlets - including delis, bodegas, grocery stores, bars, restaurant and pubs.

So now you are comparing Bengali, Resin, Hi-Res and Puff vs. "all the beers we wait in line for." But really in order to make that comparison valid, those beers you wait in line for would have to be produced at the scale we produce at, sold through the same supply chain, and have the breadth of distribution we do as well. What might be a better comparison is to look at some of our small-batch production over the next six months or so and do a comparison then, because these will be beers produced at a similar scale, and have similar distribution as to the beers you mentioned "waiting in line for." We are not starting with a NEIPA, but we will be rolling one out in October and doing more from that point forward, along with a wide variety of styles.

On the other hand, if you look at widely distributed hoppy beers in NYC (talking about beers you can get regularly and conveniently at a local deli), we actually already are considered one of the best in that arena. For widely-distributed beers produced at scale, the Bengali, Resin, Hi-Res, Puff, etc. are some of the highest esteemed and rated in their class. Its now up to us to show you what we can do on the opposite end of the spectrum. But I think its important to acknowledge these two paradigms carry with them very unique and distinctive advantages and disadvantages in their route to the customer.

Hah, wouldn't a pre-sale code for ya'll violate the egalitarian method you proposed earlier? We wouldn't want this system to be corrupted by nepotism before it even got started! :slight_smile:

And no worries, underwater and the rest of the trolls are welcome down at the brewery, if they want to show their faces in the sunlight. We won't be feeding them though. :grin::grin:

"As has been mentioned in the thread, online ticket sales have been used by many breweries to eliminate lines for a release.

Missing out can happen whether they lined up for it or attempted to purchase online (website or app, as these are essentially the same activity, right? :wink:"

No, there is a critical difference between online websites or even mobile websites and an app, and that difference has been conflated and downplayed in this thread. @Fahmie25 Yes, breweries have used websites to sell beer online, but no one has developed a native app (until now). WiFi and landline connections power almost all desktop and laptop browsing and this has very limited range. However, cellular data has a very wide range. That alone provides a huge advantage in connectivity.

Last year was a watershed year because the bulk of online activity actually switched to mobile and tablet vs. desktop browsing.

[​IMG]

So now you could say, "big deal....you could still buy beer online through a mobile website, you don't even need to be connected to wifi, as you can do this over the cellular network." Yes, you could do that, but the superiority of apps vs. mobile websites is also well documented, and that is why the migration is happening towards apps.

Apps provide a connectivity and user-friendliness that conventional websites or even mobile sites simply do not while you are on-the-go. And many people cannot commit to being in front of a computer at a certain time to make a critical purchase. But since most of us carry our phones with us, it can make these purchases easier. Also, apps are faster than websites, and not all websites load the same on your mobile device. Ever open a website and not have it format properly on your phone? Its pretty frustrating.

There is so much potential too beyond just purchasing beers, and we hope to bring you those tools in the future. But for now, we just want to share with you the limited small-batch beers we are rolling out in the next few months from our original facility at 40 Van Dyke Street.

[​IMG]

"It is the potential for missing out on a particular release causing the need (real or perceived) to line up in the first place. "

I think you just demonstrated why this isn't always problem of supply or demand, its a design flaw in the actual process. Consider this: if the brewery has a set quantity that is available for sale, and that quantity is transparent to the customer, and those sales all occur beforehand, there would be absolutely no need to wait in a line and hope to get product. All of the sales occurred beforehand, and any wasted time waiting in a line can be reallocated for better purposes.

"Again, as long as they are able to get the beer in question, they don't seem to have a particular issue with lining up for it. It seems to have become a perfectly acceptable part of the craft beer culture."

Things are acceptable when there is not an alternative. Yet the sentiment on here and other forums also show that if people could get the beer in question and not have to wait in line, they would overwhelmingly vote in favor of not wasting time waiting in line.

"I certainly appreciate you coming on here and discussing the topic."

We have appreciated your contributions over the years as well. cheers

@JackHorzempa @drtth @Daveshek28 @Ranbot

dar482 and jrnyc like this.
  21. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (265) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Nope. Not reading that.

22. 2Xmd

2Xmd Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Yes this x100.
    Whatever happened to just going to the store and buying a sixpack? When are u linking up with Amazon to have the drones deliver the beers to my house?

Did the brewery starter kit you purchased come with a food truck?

All kidding aside, can I get a Sixpoint tintacker from the non-tasting room/beer picking up place? Cause I have refused to pay shipping all these years when the brewery was right near me.

23. M-Fox24

Trader

Chief/Jeff O'Neil is fixing this problem

24. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (854) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I really like the idea but it brings up the memories of trying to get tickets for big shows back in the day. Tickets go on sale at 10am ad no matter how often you hit auto redial you never got through.

I was in Columbus and at Hoof Hearted where I was told by the bartender that they did online beer releases too.

While I do not have the scratch to pay for these cool releases if I did I would like the option to pick up my beer within a time frame, not only on one day. Life happens and you cant always make it even if you could a few days before. I also work an odd schedule on all days of the week.

Kudos to Sixpoint for moving on and trying to be a disruptor rather than a sheep. They keep doing the right things for the customer. As far as customer service goes Shane is #1. I am a Sixpoint fan because their beer is really good, had Shane not contacted me after I posted about a can of Bengali I had a long time ago I might have just moved on. Shane sent me 4 fresh 16oz 4 packs of 4 different beers and a few home brews all because I had a bad experience with a 4 pack. Whatever that cost him was fully made up with me purchasing Sixpoint and telling others how great their beers are.

Keep innovating Shane.

Enjoy

25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So is Greenpoint, but the reality is that for the really select brews you'll only find them at a few chosen stores. Hopefully it's just a work in progress, and things get better all around before long.

M-Fox24 likes this.
  26. SCW

hah, are you referring to the prior post?

Funny you mentioned food truck. We have decided to bring one in for next Saturday so people can have something to munch one while they are picking up their beer. Hope you like empanadas!

We actually will have some limited merch items down at the brewery next Saturday. Not sure if tin tackers are available though..... send us an email and we can check for you.

We miss that guy, really happy to see him doing well in his new projects.

We by no means are trying to claim this will be a perfect system. That is one of the main reasons why we are starting with a beta version of this app. It is going to need to be an iterative process to continually improve it over time.

Now that we are only a few days from the beer going on sale, we will soon be able to see what the actual demand for our small-batch products in this method will be. And in a little over a week people will be united with the first ever cans of our small batch series. And over the next few months as we roll out all of these new formulations with our new Product Development team and Eric Bachli leading the charge, we'll see what people think.

The haters/trolls have identified themselves here and took their position, and downplayed and/or denied any innovation is happening here, or demand for the product. Time will tell whether or not they are right. If they're right and we're wrong, we'll humbly admit and go back to the drawing board.

rozzom, TongoRad and SeanEDPBK like this.
  27. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,833) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I like how all the clowns that line up to sell beer for profit commented in this thread, glad to know who you are.

VABA likes this.
  28. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (520) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

I agree but I don't have that to compare right now :stuck_out_tongue:

29. M-Fox24

Trader

He certainly set a high standard

30. rozzom

Trader

The place is so legit. Definitely ended the "best BBQ in NYC" debate (that I was having in my head) when I tried it for the first time a few years ago.

Ironically I can think of one example where the app was massive turd vs the mobile site. Hint - we're posting on it! I do agree with you, but I just had a grim flashback to the BA app.

Strohm, jmdrpi, Brewzer1010 and 2 others like this.
  31. SCW

everyone will profit when they're no longer wasting their time standing in a line for hours on end

agreed on already being one of the highest esteemed, widely distributed and available option...but you also agree we cannot make a valid comparison on the small-batch stuff yet because you don't have anything from us to compare right now....maybe in six months we can satisfy both ends of the spectrum for you and others....stay tuned

Perhaps because message boards (such as this) simply are better suited for laptop and desktop publishing....if you're only ticking a beer or doing other functions that require you to swipe your finger or tap a button, an app is always going to be superior...but if you are publishing lengthy content, it can't compete with traditional laptop or desktop publishing on a website

drtth, FatBoyGotSwagger and rozzom like this.
  32. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Strongly agree.

As I've sometimes pointed out to some of the groups I've consulted with, if one is interested in information tracking and/or harvesting a smart phone or small tablet is often the ideal choice. However if one is interested in information creation, manipulation or modification, etc. the laptop of desktop are a better choice.

33. underwater_

underwater_ Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    Travis Kalanicks gonna keep on kalanicking. You are talking to people that drink your beer, not the board or shareholders or VC

Meanwhile APP that revolutionizes an economy that already exists is having technical difficulties.

#153 underwater_, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  34. underwater_

Heady shit.

35. SCW

Which is exactly why purchasing beer is a great task for an app - once you have your profile saved, you can learn about various beers with the swipe of a finger, and purchase them with a push of a button - all of this could be done in less than a minute, whether you are on-the-go or in the comfort of your own home. We've designed it as such. Or would you rather wait in a line outside for 4 hours? Your choice I guess.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the beta app - alerts will go out momentarily for those who signed up for it to download. Let us know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@RobNewton @rozzom @jrnyc @Daveshek28 @JackHorzempa

36. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, since there's no beer made worth it to me, I wouldn't be standing in line in the first place. :sunglasses:

(Also, if it's a smart phone only app I'd not be using it myself, being one of those old fashioned types who finds smart phones to be create more costs--social and otherwise-than they create benefits.)

BTW, have you and your team personally done some usability pre-testing of your own app?

VABA likes this.
  37. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (520) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Gonna wait for some check in reviews of the raspy sauce

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  38. SCW

Well, the app is not just for smart phones, you could also download it on a tablet such as an iPad if you like.

We have done several rounds of testing with the beta version, including some stress testing. Of course, the real test will be Monday, when sales go live at 12pm noon EST. Rest assured we will be taking into account all feedback to see what we can do to improve the experience.

Do you know the full story behind the raspy sauce? Most people don't know that this beer's roots are as deep as July 2013.... it all started with The Bel Jam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a really fun beer, and in 2015 it inspired the first wave of the Lil' Raspy. The sauce was the X-factor, but very little bit of it was made (we originally made the reduction sauce on the test kitchen above the Sixpoint Brewery).

We actually teamed back up with the Jam Stand so that those who order a case of the very first cans of Lil' Raspy will receive a bottle of the sauce.

drtth and rozzom like this.
  39. underwater_

*responds with cleavage and talking about iPads on a beer forum*

"This isn't Uber."

40. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (66) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Sorry if I missed this, but any talk of price? Is it going to be six 12oz cans like usual for Sixpoint or are they switching over to four 16oz cans like the others? Very interested in the IPAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.