Sixpoint Beer Purchasing App

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Vizualize, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (576) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Agree with Greenpoint but the issue is the price. All the stores near me are so overpriced.

TongoRad likes this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I believe @Sixpoint said 6 x 12oz cans for $15-16 earlier in the thread

3. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

"or are they switching over to four 16oz cans like the others?"

The "others" took the 4-pack 16oz can format after Sixpoint did, when we launched 4-packs of 16oz cans back in May 2011. That format was essentially nonexistent in craft beer in our area at the time. We pivoted out of that format back in May 2014, just when everyone started to follow into it.

Of course, now almost everyone who starts a brewery does 4packs of 16 ounce cans. Is this more herd mentality like the tap room starter kit?

You'll be getting six cans instead of four, and you'll be getting 72 ounces (6-12oz cans) of beer instead of only 64 ounces (4-16oz cans).

Don't think there is a herd mentality in craft beer? Don't think anyone agrees?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@2Xmd @frozyn @FatBoyGotSwagger @Daveshek28 @Fattypillar

4. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Please Shane stop it - the hyperbole you throw around is out of hand. What's next - you invented beer in cans? did you invent apps? did you invent the internet?

You know what? You say Sixpoint was the original craft brewery in Brooklyn after umm . . . Brooklyn Brewery? I was here, going out, drinking beer (mostly Brooklyn Brewery), having a good time in the 2000's and Sixpoint was no where to be found. Brooklyn used to have these great block parties with other craft breweries before Giuliani cut those out. While you built up your distro network and found a halfway decent contract brewer after Lion maybe you would have gained a little hometown mind share if you would have opened a taproom along the way. And hiding the fact (on the cans) that you brewed in PA and then TN but not in BK was kind of shady.
    I do not care for these trendy IPA only breweries like Other Half but it seems that you must feel left out as breweries open up physical space left and right in BK and there isn't a line at your door. While you say the app is to avoid lines - it seems by having everyone come to this new space on the same day with the hipster staples of a food truck, street art, etc - a bit of a scene is just what you are hoping for.

Rant over - back to my Oktoberfest.

5. SCW

We never claimed any of the things you just laid forth, you are creating a straw man argument here. We never said we invented craft beer in cans, nor did we say we invented apps, nor did we say we invented the internet. Perhaps it is you who is using hyperbole to try to prove something?

The comment came from the gentleman who asked if we were going to do 4-packs of "16 ounce cans like the others." It was noted that we were already doing these over six years ago and at a time when no one else was doing it. That was the full extent and scope of the claim.

Brooklyn Brewery had a physical brewing facility in the borough long before we ever did - we never claimed to be the first one to brew beer in Brooklyn. But if you really want to split hairs about that one as well, they weren't the first in the borough to brew beer either. After Rheingold shut down in 1976, the first one to start brewing was actually Park Slope Brewing Company - a little known fact, but since you seem to be genuinely interested in history, it is important to note this.

That place no longer brews beer, but if you go into the basement there, you will see the rough remnants of where the brewery used to be. Pretty incredible, but they somehow managed to fit a 7 barrel brewhouse down there. Its now just the kitchen and storage area of the Park Slope Ale House.

@JackHorzempa

SuperWhip and TongoRad like this.
  6. JMH_

JMH_ Poo-Bah (1,863) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Brewery Trader

Slight correction and some additional general background info, as this actually goes back to June 2012: love, love, LOVE that random introduction of Sixpoint and The Jam Stand happened at a BKLYN Brunch event at the Wine Library in Springfield, NJ in June 2012 and that has brought us to at least a part of this moment:

Sabrina from The Jam Stand offered up a taste of their product at that event, and Sixpoint offered the same with what we were pouring that day (Righteous Rye, and a few others were on our tasting list, if memory serves). The Razzy Gabby jam (as it was called at the time) was beyond delightful and inspiring. So much so that we thought: let's find a way to work this stuff into a beer. A few months later, both Sabrina and Jessica were at our Red Hook facility with a shit-ton of jam and they were brewing up a pilot batch of BelJam with us! It went full scale about a year later within our limited Mad Scientists Series, eventually morphed into both Lil' Raspy and Raspy Sauce shortly thereafter per Shane, and the rest is history!

To see that chance meeting evolve into a key component of this initial app launch and beer release is absolutely inspirational for us, and we look forward to offering you our fans nothing short of what we feel are the most innovative and palate-stimulating liquids that we can provide!

See you on Saturday the 30th...

SCW and rozzom like this.
  7. SCW

Thanks for the full download. Nice insight.

8. kthoag

kthoag Initiate (0) May 21, 2012 New York

I had lil raspy last year in Charleston and it was excellent. Im excited for the sauce, pretty weird but it sounds awesome.

SCW likes this.
  9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yup- I remember them. Fairly nice brews on premises, and a great feel to the place, but the packaged stuff at the stores left a lot to be desired. After one too many medicinal bottles, I never looked their way again. Same could probably be said for a lot of folks- they seemed to go under during the first microbrew shakeout.

SCW likes this.
  10. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,160) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Took me eye off the app for a couple of hours, looks like date changed to 26th.

11. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

For a beer purchasing app, there seems to be a conspicuous dearth of prices.

Also, it needs to be much easier to find info about pickup logistics (where? when? who can pick up? do you need to bring an ID/receipt/etc? how do you get a refund?)

12. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (362) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Tried the sauce last year at North Brooklyn Farms and thought it was a great addition.

JMH_, SCW and kthoag like this.
  13. SCW

Yes, we decided to move the sale date to tomorrow (Tuesday, September 26th at 12pm EST) in order to allow all of our fans/customers to download the beta app, become acquainted with it, and set up an account for purchase. We would have done it on Monday, but the iTunes store did not approve the app until Saturday, and many people got to work today to find the download instructions. We didn't want to compress the time into their normally busy Monday mornings when people catch up on things....so there you go. cheers

are you saying this from the screen shots themselves, or did you download the app and personally test it? Curious so we can lead you in the right direction here....

we're really excited about providing the customers a bottle of the sauce with a purchase of a case of the Lil' Raspy....they're gonna love it

14. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (362) Jun 25, 2016 New York

So I downloaded the app and am interested in purchasing some cans. I have to wait until tomorrow to see pricing and pickup time? Will the only pickup day be next Saturday? I'm out of town...

15. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

Only pickup on that day...

16. emannths

I downloaded the app, but what I see is basically nothing more than the screenshots you posted.

I get that the app is beta, but the lack of a decent FAQ anywhere makes everything about this sale seem a bit half-baked...

17. SCW

It will be $15 for a 6-pack of the Lil' Raspy, and $16 for the Toppen-ish IPA.

The pickup date for these first round of cans is on Saturday, Sept 30th from 10am until 4pm.

The information you are requesting is actually within the app. Send us a PM and our tech/support team will jump on the phone with you right away for customer support/service.

Hey TongoRad,

A wise man once said "History is written by the victors." Most people don't remember Park Slope Brewing company, but it sounds like you remember them well. They indeed were the first brewery to brew beer in Brooklyn after about a 20 year hiatus after Rheingold shut down in 1976....

When we first started in 2004, I actually remember talking to some of their former retail customers. I also heard the exact same feedback fwiw - good beer on premise (they even won a couple GABF medals) but when they tried to do packaging in bottles, it all fell apart. It led to some product recalls and disgruntled customers. This is part of the insanely hard task of graduating from a brewpub/direct-to-consumer small brewery to a full scale production brewery, with a packaging line and supply chain. It most definitely shook out a ton of breweries in the late 90s/early 2000s.

When Steve Hindy lauded us for being the first production brewery to launch/start the brand in Brooklyn and succeed, it was a great compliment but not one that I even realized until he said it. That's the kind of guy he is though - simply generous and a great colleague over the years and I consider him a friend - and I have a ton of mutual respect for him. He is definitely the type of guy you can have a beer with. He's super intelligent, insightful about the industry, and has a lot of wisdom given his history and longevity in the business. He also has done a ton of work with the Brewers' Association and promoting craft beer in general. Having the respect of your peers ultimately has more weight than what some misguided trolls may say, but in the end, it all kind of fits together.

Besides, ultimately what this is about here is innovation, and we're trying to make the customer experience better. Craft beer and beer in general still has a ton of potential, and our team believes we can bring some really fun and innovative things to the table. Rather than argue over semantics over who did what and when they did it, we are going to put our main focus into the innovation aspect. Its important to get the facts straight, but no need to sound petty.

Let us know if you are going to be at one of the can releases! cheers

@Urk1127 @JackHorzempa @drtth @cavedave @SixpointJMH

18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,849) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

Lol. The brewery i had worked for looked almost identical to that.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,145) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The massive F & M Schaefer brewery on Kent Ave. in Brooklyn actually outlasted Rheingold, but not by much. :wink:

[​IMG]
    Schaefer also outlasted Rheingold as an independent brewing company. Rheingold closed their Orange, NJ brewery the following year in '77 and sold their brands to Schmidt's of Phila., Ortlieb and The Lion. Schaefer lasted until 1980 when Stroh bought the company and their modern brewery outside of Allentown, PA (now BBC's largest brewery).

20. SCW

I thought that as well, but it appears there is conflicting sources of information:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/boroughs/brewery-grow-williamsburg-article-1.701849

21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,145) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, there often is, since breweries typically announced they are going to be closing on a particular day (and that made the news) but the actual last working day was often weeks later - as the last batches of beer continued be aged and then packaged and shipped out. Pretty sure that happened to both Brooklyn breweries, since the companies themselves continued in business (both also still self-distributed in NYC at the time IIRC). I guess the question would be answered by the actual last brew date.

22. SCW

Nice insight. Thanks for clarifying the record (as usual).

TongoRad likes this.
  23. jrnyc

Trader

Failed!! Try adding my card to pay, got an error message that meant nothing, something along the lines if "fire base authentication". I spent 2 days waiting in line staring at app to be shut out!

24. SCW

Shouldn't have happened, send us a pm now and we will hook you up with live tech support, we have reserved your allotment.

NickCaff likes this.
  25. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (464) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

I got the same message: Firebase Authorization token could not be decoded (-1)

#FeelsBadMan

26. SCW

We have your allotment reserved as well. Hit us with a PM if you have any issues but on our end we are seeing them stream through! But as I said - if for ANY reason yours did not go through, hit us with a PM right away. We got you.

NickCaff and jkane101 like this.
  27. jkane101

PM sent and THANKS!

UPDATE: thanks for the quick response, the order has been successfully placed via the app. good shit man!

SCW likes this.
  28. SCW

Cool. Out of curiosity, which one did you order? Looks like the Toppen-ish is just about sold out.

[​IMG]

29. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (128) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Using Android, app worked like a charm...a little too charmy. Can't wait to crack a Toppen-ish open this weekend!

SCW likes this.
  30. SCW

Awesome. Hit us up with a PM and let us know when you are coming by. See you this Saturday.

31. SCW

There is a subculture right now about lining up, but I think today proved that there can also be a subculture about "not" lining up. Plenty of people will still want to drive their gas cars, but more and more people will migrate over to electric. Yes, both methods will get to where you want to go - just of matter of how you want to get there, and what the future holds!

Since all of the cases are now sold through the app, our next quest is to get you (if you purchased) and all others their beer this Saturday with a drastically reduced waiting time.

I think today history was made when someone didn't have to wait in a line, but instead ordered the beer directly from the brewery while 35,000 feet in the air. Was this the first time someone ordered beer from an airplane?

[​IMG]

We're on the right track, thanks to encouragement and support from people like you. I think we proved today that there is genuine demand for a better and more efficient customer experience than what is currently being offered, and that this is a step in the right direction. We learned a lot today, and now we are focused on the line aspect you referred to in your message.

Yes, that is the whole point. Like the fellow who bought the beer today from his app while flying in an airplane. Now he has his cases reserved for him, and won't have to wait in a line.

You offer a very insightful and intelligent perspective. Inefficient systems are actually what help drive aftermarkets. Because it makes a product so inaccessible, it then creates an aftermarket for resellers to profit off the acquisition.

However, if you instead choose to innovate, you raise the bar for everyone involved, and make it open and more accessible to all.

perhaps the demand was underestimated?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping that we get to see you down at the brewery as well soon. We've interacted on here now for almost a decade, would be great to finally introduce you to the team.

Funny you mention this - we actually just did confirmation that our hop farmer Graham Gamache, who supplied the hops for the Toppen-ish release, is flying in and will be there personally to attend the can release. He is amped!

Here is a photo of Graham and our Ops Coordinator Greg at Hometown BBQ last time he was in town.

[​IMG]

32. jrnyc

Trader

Thanks Shane, thank you being so responsive here and going above and beyond the call of duty off-line to make everything right. Looking forward to the beer and coming to the brewery on Saturday! First class customer service all the way!

SCW, JackHorzempa and rozzom like this.
  33. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Surely was! Good for you guys, hope you have continued success.

SCW likes this.
  34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The other aspect is trading. It would be interesting to know (I am unaware how we can accurately find out) how many of your can release beers are utilized for trading or resale to non-local beer consumers.

Cheers!

35. jkane101

Both! Looking forward to them, catch you on Saturday...

36. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York

My app was just a blank orange screen all morning. When i was able to check later in the afternoon it was all sold out. Id rather wait in line than deal with this bullshit.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  37. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Dumb question - what is app called in App Store? All I can find under Sixpoint is the beer finder app

38. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (516) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

My Android app is named Sixpoint and from the main screen on the bottom right, there's an erlenmeyer flask with "small batch" below it. It's like the screenshot posted above.

rozzom likes this.
  39. SCW

If you would have contacted us at the time, we would have been able to let you know that you simply were not on the right tab. We offered live customer support through all modalities, including social media, during the launch sale. As @RobNewton already pointed out, the "small batch" tab is where you are able to purchase limited beers. It is the icon on the lower right-hand corner that has an erlenmeyer flask on it. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

If you were on this tab in the morning, you would have seen the live countdown timer as to when sales were to go live. One thing we are considering is making this the default landing tab for those who download the full app, which will be released in a couple weeks time. If you would still like to purchase either of these beers, you may contact us directly through a PM and we will make sure we get you hooked up. Thank you.

Because this was only a beta version of the app for this release, it is not yet in the app store. However, for our next release in a couple of weeks, you will be able to download Sixpoint 4.0, which we will have a completely new name for (it will not be known as the "Beer Finder" anymore, but we will still offer that ability for users to find our beer).

cheers

jrnyc and rozzom like this.
  40. emannths

Can you make the Erlenmeyer a countdown timer? Have it fill up as it it gets closer to live, and then when live show it as an animated boil/boilover: [​IMG]

SuperWhip, TongoRad, canchon and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.