Sixpoint Jammer Gose (May 2015)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

I really like Sixpoint, and will definitely be stopping in next time I'm in Brooklyn. But, jammer missed the mark for me. Like many others have stated, I'd prefer more tartness and salt. Doesn't have to be over the top, but certainly more prominent than it is now. I like seeing Sixpoint on here taking in the feedback.

2. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

Sorry I meant no coriander. Just a plain old salty Gose.

SCW likes this.
  3. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Society

in theory that could be done....the reason why the "white" beers of Northern Europe (top fermented wheat beers such as Wit, Gose, Berliner Weisse, Grodziskie, etc.) often had coriander in them is because they were fermented with wild yeast and bacteria. This led to some nasty sulfuric compounds...and coriander is a great spice for covering those up, or offsetting them.

Nowadays we can do controlled fermentations, so the spices are not necessary....interesting bit of history, but beer drinkers (some of them) still like the spice, so brewers keep them in...

JackHorzempa likes this.
  4. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

Dont get me wrong, I love the spice. Just thought it would be fun to do an "Unplugged" version, or even a collaboration version. Even if it doesn't see mass distribution. Love what you guys are doing, keep up the great work.

SCW likes this.
  5. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia

Any @Sixpoint Jammer 2.0 in Northern Virginia?

SCW likes this.
  6. Uconnelmo

Uconnelmo Zealot (526) Jan 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Its hot and humid and this is hittin' the spot. well done

SCW likes this.
  7. JMH_

JMH_ Poo-Bah (1,831) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Industry

Total Wine Alexandria, Total Wine Springfield, Total Wine Fairfax, Total Wine Manassas, Westover Market Arlington, Market to Market Alexandria and Norms Wine & Beer Vienna should all be able to hook you up.

December code date on the box + #InstaJammer notation.

beernuts and SCW like this.
  8. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,076) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Just logging in to say that I've been following this thread since the whole argument about what a gose is, and it has been quite the ride. I, like many others, was very excited for Jammer and felt let-down by what I thought was a very coriander-forward bomb of a session beer with a lot of notable salinity but very little tartness. Though goses, historically, may not have been very tart, I was concerned with why the can even says that "it's sour" if, well, it wasn't! I'm sure I'm echoing plenty of sentiments here, however.

So, in essence, I'm glad Shane and co. have undergone some formulation changes. I just picked up a sixer of BB18DEC2015 Jammer last night and have been impressed with the changes. Yes, the coriander is still a very prominent note, but a nice slightly-puckering Lemonhead-esque tartness really brightens up the proceedings and makes this what is, in my now-revised opinion, one of the very best goses of this, the Summer of 2015! I hope to pick up even more soon. Thanks Sixpoint and Shane... although you guys have your own opinions about what your beers should be like, you truly seem to understand that consumers want a certain kind of thing, and trusted us with feedback that you seem to have taken very much to heart. I love when stuff like this happens, because it really feels like we are a part of something cool here. Anyway, back to slingin' Jammers for the rest of the evening! Cheers!!

SCW and JMH_ like this.
  9. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (335) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Drinking a Jammer 2.0 right now, well done! The slight increase in acidity really makes the other flavors shine. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding a couple singles, I haven't seen a pack anywhere. I'll keep drinking this as long as you keep making it and sending it to VA.

SCW and JMH_ like this.
  10. bound4er

bound4er Champion (835) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

2.0 is better than 1.0 but not demonstrably. There is always next year I guess.

11. stickboy1125

Tried a 2.0 last night, I can't compare it to 1.0 but I thought it was pretty good, slightly less coriander and a little more tart and it would be perfect IMO. My biggest gripe about Jammer is the slim can, I love a Gose at the beach and I use a koozie to keep the beer colder for longer but the slim cans don't fit.

SCW likes this.
  12. SCW

Society

I get where you are coming from. Its an interesting concept. Kind of like a deconstructed Gose....brew one without salt, brew one without coriander, and brew one without the sourness. Then you could really see what each component lends to the beer in a true scientific fashion (by removing one variable, and keeping all else the same). @JackHorzempa this would also make an interesting homebrewing experiment!

right on - and we'll continue in the same spirit as we move forward with 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 ....... to infinity! :-)

this has inspired us to begin working on a slim koozie project.... :-)

13. JArt

JArt Aspirant (276) Nov 14, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Thanks for the post! Personally, I was not a fan of this beer when it was first released; however, I might have to seek out a newer release date and give it another try!

14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I finally got the Jammer 2.0. Definitely had more gose-ish flavors than the 1.0. Glad I picked it up. While on a Sixpoint thread, I'd also like to mention that I had Crisp for the first time in awhile last week and damn, if that isn't my favorite Pilsner out there. Not sure why I find it tastier than other pilsners/lagers that I enjoy, but there's something different about it.

SCW likes this.
  15. SCW

Society

Folks have been digging it, and we look forward to making continuous improvements to maintain best of breed!

Perhaps we should let you know what's different about it over a Crisp one day. Let us know when you're in the boroughs!

16. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I will take you up on that!

17. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,093) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Just scored the last pack of 2.0 at my local shop. Look forward to trying it at the beach this weekend.

18. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Texas

I've been fortunate enough to find both batches and have done my civic duty to drink them side by side a couple of times. Both versions are great in their own way, 1.0 has a cool floral quality while being totally crushable and 2.0 brings on salt with a sour tone. I might agree 2.0 is more of a "Gose" but had 1.0 been named anything different it might be hailed as one of the most unique light beers.

19. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,093) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

InstaJammer is pretty good. If you guys go just a tad more sour next year with a little less coriander, I'll probably buy a whole case.

SCW likes this.
  20. AlpacaAlpaca

AlpacaAlpaca Defender (646) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

I bought two six packs of the second version, and damn this stuff is refreshing. And oddly enough it tastes just as good straight from the can. Really looking forward to 4beans, but my heart longs most for the return of Abigale :wink:

SCW likes this.
  21. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Much respect to the people who make this beer but it just isn't my thing at all. I'll keep drinking Sixpoint beers from the styles I do like. Glad I tried it though, I'll try anything once.

22. SCW

Society

where are you picking up these six-packs, may we ask?

23. trbergman

trbergman Defender (646) Nov 17, 2006 England

@Sixpoint Will Windy City be getting a drop of 2.0?

24. SCW

Society

I believe they did not

25. AlpacaAlpaca

AlpacaAlpaca Defender (646) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

I found the 2.0 at Warehouse Wine & Liqour in Danbury, CT. My regular spot (Deciccos) didn't have it.

SCW likes this.
  26. Testosterownd

Testosterownd Initiate (145) Dec 15, 2014 Michigan

@Sixpoint : Ive seen Jammer in all the local Toledo OH bottle shops but no one can tell me if its the redone batch. I wasnt a big fan of the first batch but I want to give the new batch a chance. Is there any way to tell if its a batch 1 or batch 2? It doesnt say on the box.

SCW likes this.
  27. stickboy1125

December code date on the box + #InstaJammer notation

28. SCW

Society

It actually does indicate right on the box. This was discussed previously here. Cheers!

29. Testosterownd

Testosterownd Initiate (145) Dec 15, 2014 Michigan

Awesome! Thanks!

30. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (2,277) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Picked up the last 6-pack at the store last night because I hadn't been able to try the 2.0 version yet. Looking forward to doing a side-by-side with Union Craft Old Pro and AV Blood Orange Gose (I know, it's an apples to oranges comparison - pun intended - but those are the other two goses I have on hand).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.