Sixpoint (May 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by frozyn, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozyn

frozyn Crusader (703) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Sixpoint Brewerywww.sixpoint.com, www.instagram.com/sixpoint

Address: 40 Van Dyke St, Brooklyn, NY 11231

How to Get There Via Mass Transit
    • Take the F/G to Smith-9th Street, then either (1) walk over (15 minutes), or (2) take the B61 from the corner of Smith and W 9th
    • Take the free Ikea ferry from Pier 11 in the Financial District
    • Take some damn subway from Manhattan and hop on the B57. Useful stops are at Court St and Schermerhorn St (for Borough Hall and the 4/5) and Jay St/Willoughby St (for Jay St – MetroTech and the A/C)
    Current Tap List: @Sixpoint often gives us a heads up the week of the release as to what will be available on tap during the release, but it’s subject to change. Currently tasters and $6 pints of select beers.

Growler Fills: None for now, but they sell pre-packaged crowlers on release day.

Can and Bottle Sales: See below for this month’s release.

Outside beer: Nada.

Kids and Dogs: OK for now, but the space in the courtyard is rather limited, so it is not an ideal space for either. Small dogs might not be a big deal.

Swag: https://merch.sixpoint.com/. Items also for sale through the App and in the courtyard on release day.

Local Eats: As always, there will be a food vendor at Sixpoint during the release party. For before or afterwards, check out: Fort Defiance, Red Hook Lobster Pound, The Good Fork, Hometown Bar-B-Que, Defontes, Grindhaus (opens at 5 PM), plus a lot of other place on Van Brunt St near Pioneer.

Nearby Drinking Establishment (20 minute walk): Van Brunt Stillhouse, Rocky Sullivan’s, Sunny’s Bar, Brooklyn Ice House, Seaborne.

App: Required to purchase small-batch releases and/or merch, and doing so will create a QR code that provides access to the courtyard on release day. Find it on the App Store or Google Play.

May Release – Fruit Fest
    [​IMG]

Smoothie – 7% NEIPA, reformulated and different from the OG Smoothie, with Mosaic, Azacca and El Dorado hops. $18/six pack
    Fruit Smoothie – 7% NEIPA featuring El Dorado, Mosaic and Azacca hops with vanilla, lactose, and strawberries. $18/six pack
    Blackberry Raspy – 4.5% Berliner with blackberries and raspberries. Lil’ Raspy with twice as much fruit. $16/six pack.
    Wild Raspy -- 6.8% wild ale. Wild yeast worked on Lil’ Raspy in wine barrels for 16 months. $12/500 mL bottle.

Beers go on sale May 14 at 12PM EST, release day is May 19, 10-4PM. Additional pickup times on the 21st and 22nd available through the app at time of purchase. See you on the 19th!

2. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,281) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

You may want to make note the tap room is only open during release days.

ScottKramer and frozyn like this.
  3. frozyn

Premium Member

Listen here Weatherman -- I'll send a draft to you next month to make sure all is well and we include a link to the personal weather station you set up in the courtyard :sunglasses:.

4. jrnyc

Lol!

Only mentioned it because last month a couple of people didn’t realize tap room was only open for releases.

rozzom and frozyn like this.
  5. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (234) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

dig the releases for this month

Sixpoint likes this.
  6. jrnyc

[​IMG]
    The Smoothie glass looks pretty awesome!

#6 jrnyc, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  7. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (49) Sep 7, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

What's the story behind the small batch art direction? I'd guess there's a hair metal theme in there somewhere (power ballad, party hat, skulls blowing up etc) but I don't recall if that's a larger part of the sixpoint brand.

8. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (166) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Pretty excited about the Raspy variants, not sure about the Fruit Smoothie though. The only strawberry IPA I've had was Panna e Fragole from Other Half and I though it was just OK.

9. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (131) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

damn sixpoint comin in hot with the fruity fire. im psyched about this release, will probably grab 1 of each.

10. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,701) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Member Industry Beer Trader

Good question - this was the new small batch/app aesthetic we formed in Fall 2017, as we contemplated the ethos of this whole program. I have a deep appreciation and interest in pulp Americana, and I think tattoo flash art and comic books are probably some of the best examples of this. We wanted to have all of these designs done in house and be hand drawn, as opposed to farming out the design work to a third party and having them whip up labels on computer software.

The hand-drawn nature of the designs show the emphasis on small batch curation, and how much thought and care goes into the details. Of course my opinion is biased, but I think Jack and his crew have been slaying this and setting a whole new standard/precedent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. frozyn

Premium Member

Hard to choose between that and this 20 ounce beauty:
    [​IMG]

Sixpoint and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. Sixpoint

it all depends on how much head you want on the beer....I like my lagers with a large kopf of schaum :beer::beer::innocent::innocent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PapasDelicateCondition

Beer Trader

You don't have to choose! Buy both of them!!!!

Sixpoint and frozyn like this.
  14. Sixpoint

there is definitely some love for fruit beers....even if the fruit is incorporated into the IPA....we've come a long way from the "apricot wheat" days of the 90s....and even a long way from the "fruit extract IPA" days of a few years ago....

15. Sixpoint

@balto22 @Daveshek28 @dhaakon @ScottKramer @rojapa

Curious to know what people genuinely think about the bottle format for this release. Seems like the vast majority of these limited ("at brewery") releases are in cans, but that can partially be explained by the ease of mobile canning vs. mobile bottling.

But I suspect there is another reason as well....after years of having a bad reputation, cans are now the preferred format for a lot of craft beer fans.

Would you not buy a beer if it was in a bottle?

16. Feaor

If it was a hop forward beer maybe not but most other styles its neutral to a plus. I’m not sure if I trust cans just yet for long term storage, since the jury is still kinda out for that.

17. Sixpoint

Interesting. So even if it was a world-class IPA you might pass it up simply because of the packaging format?

What styles (outside of IPA) do you think bottles actually provide benefits for the beer?

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  18. rojapa

rojapa Devotee (453) Jun 26, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

When it comes to bottles vs cans for me it’s more about $/oz. Usually bottles end up being more expensive in that sense (a big reason why I would rarely buy Singlecut beers before they started canning. Maine Brewing Company and Trillium are another good example).

That said, bottles still have their place IMO. I am guessing Wild Raspy due to being both barrel aged and heavily fruited probably had a smaller yield and by putting it
    into bottles you are getting it into more people’s hands.

And not that you asked this specifically, but I think the $/oz for Wild Raspy is spot on for this type of beer. I said it earlier on this thread, this month’s release has my attention and I put a reminder on my calendar for
    when the preorder goes live. Also that glassware is dope.

rozzom likes this.
  19. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (545) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I’m usually not a fan of the 500ml format, mainly because breweries tend to overprice beers when using utilizing it. This may partially be due to the perception held by many consumers that they are getting a large serving size when really 500ml = only 16.9 ounces. However, $12 is definitely a fair price for a fruited, BA wild ale.
    As far as aesthetics and serving size, I have no issues. Can’t wait to try it as well as the others!

RobNewton likes this.
  20. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,443) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm in a wedding the weekend of the 19th. Well done Shane, maybe June!

21. Feaor

I think for the most part, world class IPAs are now all in cans because people have realized that in addition to the hype, cans are a better package than bottles for hoppy beers. However, while I haven't had the opportunity to try it, I balked at Parish's IPAs until I heard some feedback from people I trust despite them packaging in bottles until recently.

As for styles that benefit it would honestly be strong ales of various flavors, most specifically barrel aged versions as I tend to find the spirit/barrel character to be a little to much fresh. I do think adjunct versions of these should be drank fresher though. Also I would put sour beers or anything with brett in it since these will develop over time assuming they are not pasteurized. The big question for bottles vs cans for these styles is whether the plastic lining in cans is good enough for long term aging, and I haven't read too much about that just yet so I would stick to bottles for the time being.

RobNewton likes this.
  22. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I certainly have grown to love the "juicy" IPA's in cans, as well as Gose's, other than that I'm good with bottles for all other styles really. My only issue with bottles at this point is that they're typically pretty expensive, unless it's something in the lager/pilsner family. I do still buy several stouts and/or "wild ales" in bottles. And of course Oktoberfests and the like. I do get the wild ale in 500ml being $12, I understand the process and money behind making those.

23. Daveshek28

Beer Trader

I also still have not picked up any Alpenflo yet, and need to get on that ASAP!

24. PapasDelicateCondition

Beer Trader

I’ll buy Lunch and Born Yesterday nearly every time I see them and haven’t thought twice about their format. Countless amazing European beers of all styles in glass also have never made me flinch. I’m waiting for plastic to make a comeback.

RobNewton and Daveshek28 like this.
  25. jrnyc

Putting aside some of the reasons already stated for bottles vs cans, the explosion of the sought after local NEIPAs came in the form of cans. People have gotten used to equating cans with the high quality of NEIPAs they like. Maybe some cognitive bias here.

26. Daveshek28

Beer Trader

Agree, those beers are excellent.

27. Daveshek28

Beer Trader

Good point. Before singlecut switched over to cans, I enjoyed their bottles as well. Consistency issues aside...

jrnyc likes this.
  28. Sixpoint

There you go again with this "cognitive bias" nonsense :grin:

29. jrnyc

LOL!!

30. icfpny

icfpny Aspirant (222) Apr 3, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Born Yesterday I can understand.

But you never thought twice about MBC, with them selling 16.9-oz bottles for close to ten dollars each?

31. PapasDelicateCondition

Beer Trader

Good point and I can't defend that. But MBC is one of the first breweries that I trusted to put out a high quality beer no matter what the style so there's a bit of nostalgia and excitement when I see their bottles even though they're everywhere now. I should put the caveat that if I spot Lunch FRESH then I treat myself. But you're right, they're overpriced.

bubseymour likes this.
  32. Sixpoint

Wild Raspy is definitely the most limited package beer we've ever released. We are only putting 100 bottles on sale and the beer aged for 16 months in oak. Instead of releasing 20 six-packs we decided to do 100 bottles worth...we're hopeful you appreciate the beer!

don't hold your breath :wink:

33. Sixpoint

getting ready to bottle....

[​IMG]

34. frozyn

Premium Member

Really looking forward to the final version of Wild Raspy. The tastes here and there along the way have been really damn good and right up in my alley in having a delightful complexity between the malt and yeast without having to bash your face in with sour/funk.

35. Feaor

So when do the weather reports start?

36. jrnyc

Right now :slight_smile: ! Cloudy, 71, chance of t-storm.

#36 jrnyc, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  37. Sixpoint

Forecast: Cloudy, with the sweet smell of fruit and lactose

canchon likes this.
  38. joehill

joehill Aspirant (210) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

I just got an iphone notification that the beers are available in the app "right now!!" but in the app the countdown shows i still need to wait 2 hours. annoying

xmattxyzx likes this.
  39. Feaor

Looks like Wild Raspy sold out in like 2 minutes. Blackberry Raspy in 4 minutes.

canchon likes this.
  40. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (545) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Blackberry Raspy is gone too. Didn’t realize Wild Raspy was only 1pp :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.