Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sixpoint to release Köld Schauer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Urk1127, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Greeting BA.....

New Sixpoint release coming that im honored to share.....no pic of the cans or package at this (my) current moment of posting....

Köld Schauer is a Kölsch style, and its going to be on draft and in 6packs throughout the distribution network.

I am very excited! Ill be hunting this one down and hopefully it hits my area. Id definitely grab many. I trust in Sixpoint to make a bangin Kolsch. Cheers!

@Sixpoint
    @SixpointJMH

Stockatron, cjgiant, Gajo74 and 8 others like this.
  2. Urk1127

Beer Trader

@utopiajane
    @TongoRad

Tagging you fine folks because i feel ive seen you drink more kolsch than anybody in WBAYDN threads. Ive seen 4.9% ive seen 5.6% not sure of the abv or profile or anything.

Spread the word.

Sixpoint's beers aint nothin to fuck with. Never disappointed.

3. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (195) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Got it today at the store I work at south of Boston

Sixpoint and Urk1127 like this.
  4. Urk1127

Beer Trader

ABV on this said adult beverage?

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

4.9%

Sixpoint and Urk1127 like this.
  6. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,585) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Supporter Subscriber Industry Beer Trader

I would have to say that @ecpho and @JackHorzempa are also huge fans of Kölsch as well. Of course, talking about real Kölsch style here - not something loaded up with fruit syrups or extracts either. :-)

As stated, the ABV is 4.9% and it has some hop character to it, but its really a beer where the malt flavor (and a slight bit of the yeast) shines through more than the hops. And to be clear, referring more to hop flavor and not bitterness or aroma...

cheers

JimKal, cjgiant, Ranbot and 10 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Thanks for the heads up. This'll be a must purchase for me as soon as I see it.

mikeinportc and Sixpoint like this.
  8. Sixpoint

Here are some photos of the beer shipping to our wholesalers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some shots from the crew:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Shane (@Sixpoint) is indeed correct that I am a fan of the Kolsch beer style. My supply of homebrewed Kolsch is dwindling so a commercial Kolsch is 'attractive' right now.

The retailers in my area are not the best as regards Sixpoint beer. My last purchase of Sixpoint was the Hi Volume variety pack and I had to go to my neighboring state of Delaware to find/purchase that beer. If I 'luck out' and find the Sixpoint Kolsch at a local beer store I will indeed purchase a 6-pack.

Cheers!

@ecpho

10. Sixpoint

Jack, if you send an email to me directly, we can probably arrange to get you in touch with a fresh sample at a store near your home.

cheers

JimKal, CrimeDog, jdell15 and 3 others like this.
  11. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Not sure about Huell Melon hops in a Kolsch with the melon/strawberry flavors for newfangled IPAs, I'll stick with the non #innovative iterations.

12. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Done!

13. Sixpoint

But have you ever tried Huell Melon hops in a Kölsch before? We did try a wide variety of different strains in our formulation process, and to our surprise the Huell Melon performed the best.

Keep in mind they are grown in the Tettnang and Hallertauer regions of Germany, and terroir is going to have just as much (if not more) impact on the flavor as the actual strain does.

lic217, Stockatron, cjgiant and 7 others like this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Plus the way they're used.

Sixpoint likes this.
  15. Sixpoint

Exactly. One of the greatest crimes of that hop strain was how it was marketed to brewers a few years ago when it came out - everyone rushed in to load them up in their IPAs.

Depending on when you add them, they do work OK in an IPA, but we found they perform best in the lower ABV beers where they're not going to get overwhelmed by the malt and the booze and the other aggressive hops. They'll simply get washed out.

Don't get me wrong - we were surprised to see that of all of the combinations, these hops were the ones that did best in the Kölsch. But it was pretty unanimous amongst the entire staff and early customers, so we rolled with it.

cheers

HermitDan, Mattybuchs, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  16. Urk1127

Beer Trader

I love huell melon id love a "strawberry" aspect to this. I dig the kolsch yeasts fruitiness. @Sixpoint. Within reason, if you need to to release the exact yeast strain is this a general ale yeast or a special strain for this kolsch.

Sixpoint likes this.
  17. Sixpoint

Don't expect a prominent strawberry aroma and flavor, but you will get subtle flavors from the hops and yeast on this to provide a nice complexity. We did use an authentic Kölsch yeast to ferment it, and also kept it at low temperatures in the traditional fashion.

JackHorzempa, mikeinportc and Urk1127 like this.
  18. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Ah. So the debate of storing room temp doing nothing to the beer does nothing...this opinion exists.....which i believe to an extent but anyways in relation to that ^...is this then due to your statement, this beer is better off stored cold at all times? I tend to buy beer warm and store warm until needed for an overnight chill

19. Sixpoint

I do not have any data on what the storage temperature AFTER packaging does to the ester profile for Kölsch - all we know about is during the primary and secondary fermentations. The Kölsch yeast definitely performed better at lower temperatures.

cheers

Urk1127 likes this.
  20. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Initiate (14) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Two words - Hell Yes. I'm super excited for this one as Sixpoint has quickly become a favorite and an often times go-to for me since they started distributing their delicious libations here in Oregon a few years back. Oh yeah, and if that weren't enough, kolsches have quickly moved up to become one of my favorite styles of beer overall and one I actively seek it out throughout the year so definitely going to be keeping my eyes out for this one! Cheers!

Sixpoint likes this.
  21. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I will definitely be trying this, I love a good Kölsch.

Sixpoint likes this.
  22. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Ahem! I'll forgive you both for your oversight, but the next time you don't tag me on this topic I'm gonna have a fit. :wink: :grin:

23. Urk1127

Beer Trader

I knew it. Lol. I had a feeling. Shouldve went with it. I among others seemingly associate Zid with a saison. Lol. Ill go with the gut instinct next time

zid likes this.
  24. Urk1127

Beer Trader

For quality and price they cant be beat compared to someof the other stuff out there. Never disappointed at new releases and any of their year round beers are amazing and available. Also looking foward to global warmer this year. Unless theres a change of plans.

TheBricenator and Sixpoint like this.
  25. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

My gut is telling me to go open another beer. :slight_smile:

Urk1127 likes this.
  26. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (479) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Well, this definitely sounds interesting. Here's hoping that I'll see some at my local beer store in the near future -- more Kolsch style beers (especially good ones!) is always something I'll get behind.

27. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (763) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This sounds like a beer i will enjoy drinking. I'll keep an eye open for it.

28. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (742) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Why are there six point releases postep in this subforum and mid atlantic? What's the criteria that determines where one goes?

29. SixpointJMH

SixpointJMH Poo-Bah (1,504) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey

Certain beers, like Köld Schauer, are released across our entire distribution network, while others are and will be released solely via our new app which requires pick-up at our Red Hook, Brooklyn facility.

As such, given the limited nature and availability of the latter, it makes more sense for them to be discussed within the Mid-Atlantic forum.

Sixpoint and rypkr like this.
  30. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (794) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

I'll be buying this for sure. The beers surname is the same as mine.

Sixpoint likes this.
  31. Sixpoint

Schauer!

32. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (514) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Now if @Sixpoint would kindly ship to Georgia, I'd be readily purchasing this.

Guess I will look for it when I head back up to Virginia. Is this a seasonal for fall or new addition to line up? *Sorry if this has already been answered.

33. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Disciple (372) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Picked up my 6-pack today. Sep 19th Canned on date. Working on getting it Köld.

Mattybuchs, Urk1127, zid and 2 others like this.
  34. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (397) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Your website actually says its warm-fermented.

35. Sixpoint

"Warm" as in not fermented in the 40s or 50s, but its also not fermented in the typical 68-72F ale range.

36. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Please share your thoughts on this beer with us.

Cheers!

DEdesings57 and Sixpoint like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Shane, FWIW the 'sweet spot' for Wyeast 2565 is 60-62 degrees in my homebrewery.

Needless to say but YMMV.

Cheers!

Sixpoint likes this.
  38. Sixpoint

Hah - that's exactly what we did for the Schauer. Start it out cold and let it ferment right in that aforementioned sweet spot. It really nails the perfect ester profile while maintaining that clean Kölsch flavor.

cheers

Urk1127, frozyn, DEdesings57 and 2 others like this.
  39. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Disciple (372) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Color me impressed. It has been some time now since I have had a "Kolsch Style" beer before. Not to many breweries like to make them around my area, so I was elated when I found out Sixpoint was brewing this one.

As for the beer? It's excellent! Absolutely love it! It's incredibly refreshing without being boring. Carbonation levels keep it lively without feeling flat or watery, the Huell Melon hops add just enough bitterness to remind you that they are there without stealing the show. They also offer a pleasant grassy, herbal, and lemony/grapefruit aroma thats delicate but def present. Kolsch yeast esters are evident enough to remind you that this is as close to a lager your going to get with out actually becoming one!

This beer doesn't impressive me because it blows my hair back in awesomeness, it impresses me because of it's well crated nuances.

[​IMG]

ESHBG, TheBricenator, Urk1127 and 7 others like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Well, that detail will not be pleasing to the 'traditionalists'.
    My local beer stores carry the German brewed versions (e.g., Früh, Sünner, Gaffel, Reissdorf) but you need to conscientiously check the dates to ensure they are not too old. I would recommend that you try these beers if they are available to you.

Needless to say but the other option is to homebrew your own. Pretty simple from an ingredient perspective (German Pilsner Malt, Wyeast 2565, noble hops). A bit more involved from a process perspective since the primary fermentation needs to be controlled/maintained and this style benefits from a lagering phase.

Cheers!

TongoRad and DEdesings57 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.