Release Sixpoint to release Righteous Barrel Aged Rye

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Urk1127, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Hello BA,

New Sixpoint Release...."Barrel Aged Righteous Ale, aged in Woodford Rye Reserve barrels to hit the entire distribution network in cans and on draft in March."

"Also a derivative small-batch release at the brewery in March aged in upstate NY Rye Barrels and vanilla beans"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I personally love rye whiskey, and never had Righteous Ale. Ill grab some up at first sight.

@Sixpoint @SixpointJMH

maximum12, Sixpoint, EMH73 and 9 others like this.
  2. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (201) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Rye Ale? @Sixpoint, what beer is this exactly? Rye Pale Ale/IPA, Rye Brown Ale, etc.

I don't really understand why/how "Rye Beer" is a style on here. Just look through all the different (styles) of beer on that list. Most of them are Pale Ales and IPAs. Some are American Strong Ales, BSDA, Stouts, etc. Why not have Rye Pale Ale, Rye IPA, Rye Red Ale, Rye Brown Ale categories or just get rid of Rye Beer and have those added to APA, IPA, Red Ale, Brown Ale. Doesn't make sense to have an Imperial Stout made with rye in the same category as Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye or other Rye IPAs.

#2 DISKORD, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    AyatollahGold and Sixpoint like this.
  3. Urk1127

I believe Righteous Ale was a Rye beer sixpoint did a few years back. A usual good rule pf thumb is its a considerable high rye percent in the mash. I never had it myself. @Sixpoint. I assume youre familiarity with Roggenbier, as a fan of beer, is there an aspect to righteous thats inspired by anything specific?

4. DISKORD

@Todd

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,569) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

In other words there are two separate releases, one using Woodford barrels which come from Kentucky and one using some Rye Barrels from NY state?

#5 drtth, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Urk1127

I have the assumption the NY state barrels rye will be a brewery release while Righteous w/woodford will hit full distro. . @Sixpoint. For purchase through the App.?

7. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Poo-Bah (1,703) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Premium Industry

We have been brewing the Righteous Ale going all the way back to 2005. "Rye" beers are not a new phenomenon, even in American craft. There even is a separate category for them on most beer sites, including this one.

BA rye beers in rye are a new niche though....hope you like!

EMH73, Brolo75, Marklaker and 9 others like this.
  8. DISKORD

How hopfoward is the BA version?

Sixpoint likes this.
  9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,569) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Just this last weekend tried the Boulevard Rye on Rye. Looking forward to seeing your beer on the shelves. (I always have preferred Rye Whiskey to Bourbon.)

10. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

Much more restrained....we needed enough bitterness to balance out the malt, as its over 10% ABV with a relatively high finishing gravity. But it only ended up around 30-35 IBU.

11. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'd love to see BA Diesel someday. Yeah I know it was only 6% abv or so but a man can dream right?

SammyJaxxxx and Sixpoint like this.
  12. DISKORD

How is the color? Brown, dark brown? Can you see through it?

Sixpoint likes this.
  13. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

We did a sour diesel back in the day. Was fun....hit it with some brett and lacto.

No, its not dark brown. Its a beautiful deep red/mahogany color. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

SammyJaxxxx, threeviews and tzieser like this.
  14. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

With the low IBU, and overall profile, I sense a beer for some fresh, and maybe 4 for the cooler weather in six to 8 months or so. What do you say, Mr SP? Oh, and the Hi-Res this year rocks.

Sixpoint likes this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,438) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Woah. This looks promising.

Sixpoint likes this.
  16. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Regular old Diesel would be great in the 16oz package........

Enjoy

Sixpoint and tzieser like this.
  17. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I try to make it a point to bring up Diesel every time I see a sixpoint thread. I agree, would love to see the regular one canned again even before a barrel aged one. Sorry for going off topic.

Anyway, I enjoyed Righteous Ale the way it was when I last had it and I'm sure this version will come out great. Keep up the excellent work, @Sixpoint!

18. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

You can enjoy now or store for later. Dealer's choice.

You going to make it to March's release?

We have a BA stout already aging on the oak....might have to Diesel it up...

19. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,438) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm not sure yet. Hopefully. Haha.

frozyn and drtth like this.
  20. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Do you work for this brewery?

21. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

Yes

Dan_K, jrnyc, frozyn and 1 other person like this.
  22. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (423) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Can't wait for this one! Love me some rye.

Sixpoint and frozyn like this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Styles are meant to be a guideline, not a definitive, all-encompassing, rulebook for every single style variant currently known to man. Otherwise we'd have thousands of styles listed.

24. Urk1127

Only in my dreams.

@Sixpoint @SixpointJMH

These fine people can assist you with brewery relations.

25. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

Actually working on the master blending today with the ops and brewing team....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (555) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

@Sixpoint
    You and your team have a great brewery...arguably the best and most consistent for a company that brews beers for large distribution under contract. It is nice to see you doing small batch can releases from the Brooklyn location, but sadly anyone out of the New York Metro area will never get an opportunity to try these small batch offerings.

Regardless, Barrel-Aged 3Beans and 2018 Hi-Res are definite highlights in your portfolio. I will support the company whenever possible. I will absolutely be seeking out 'Righteous Barrel Aged Rye.'

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  27. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Not much of a Sixpoint fan, but Righteous was a bad-ass beer, and its nice to see something other than a stout go into a barrel. Will give this a go

28. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (615) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

How new is Boulevard Rye-on-Rye, and Shmaltz's RIPA on Rye?

29. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,311) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

That label is awesome!

Sixpoint likes this.
  30. Urk1127

Thats sweet. Cool behind the scenes pic.

Brolo75 likes this.
  31. Urk1127

Have you tried them recently? All core lineup beers got an overhaul and are noticeably different than before.

32. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (442) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Sounds terrible!
    Can’t wait to try it!

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  33. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Funnily enough, it's sort of why I fell off from them. They deliver Jammer, and I thought it was absolutely dreadful and very soda-like (Sprite), and then they're like "We know it wasn't that great, so here is 2.0"...and I'm all like...well do your research upfront, because I don't know too many consumers who are going to follow you through your trials and relaunches".

Don't like Resin, Hi-Res...Crisp is alright. Sweet Action seems like a confused teenager who doesn't know where he fits in. Abigail was meh. Global Warmer, did not like. Tesla is probably their worst offense.

I occasionally buy Bengali, because I do find it to be fairly unique in the crowded world of IPAs.

34. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

Formulation development is not a static process. Over the past few years we have been building a lot of processes to hone in on this, including the creation of a separate product development team. Some of the limited, widely-distributed offerings are a result of this, as well as our small batch series sold through the app. We're hoping you have the opportunity to enjoy them with us and other BAs soon. thanks for the consideration

cheers

Beer_Economicus and drtth like this.
  35. Urk1127

I see what you mean. But i see it as the every changing word. Language changes, people change......beer styles change and brewers need to adapt to tastes. Theres classics but i feel by doing a slight tweak, you keep up in a sense and not be stale. The beers are still identifiable but have slight tweaks for the better. You should try crisp again if you havent in the past year. And i noticed you said Abigail which hasnt been brewed in (2) years? I never had that but Sixpoint delivers in that they can stay relevant in the literal sea of beers on the east coast.

drtth likes this.
  36. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,349) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania

BA 3 beans is stellar, sign me up for lots of this one as well. Keep 'em coming sixpoint.

Sixpoint likes this.
  37. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

Not only will the BA Beans series be returning this Fall, but we also will be announcing another BA canned beer later this year.....

if you are digging these beers, check out our can release in March....will feature the special BA righteous ale...

@frozyn @EnthusedAboutBeer @jrnyc

38. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

How about bringing distribution to the Memphis area?

Sixpoint likes this.
  39. Sixpoint

Premium Industry

We actually contacted the new craft wholesaler, but have yet to hear back. Would you or someone you know be able to help us get in contact with 901 Crafts? It would be much appreciated. Please feel free to DM us, thank you.

Tilley4 likes this.
  40. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Stand by....

Sixpoint likes this.