1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Skinny Kegerator Recommendation

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by CrazyPete, Mar 12, 2019.

1. CrazyPete

CrazyPete Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2019

Hi All,

I am looking to get a kegerator and would love some advice - I don't know much. The basic facts:

• I'm cheap - rather not spend over $1000, and would love to spend less
    • Needs to be narrow - 18" wide tops, depth is not an issue
    • This will be undercounter, but I'm building the enclosure and will have space front and back (and can add vents) so I figure I can go with freestanding - likely 8" from top of kegarator to the countertop
    • Will use this for both store bought and home brew, so I will likely get some type of quick connect system to switch between
    • Would like the option of cask conditioned ale, so would like the temp to go up to 55 F (I can add a hand pump later)
    Current options are :
    • Edgestar KC1000 ($399) or BR1000 (fridge only, $374)
      • Temp doesn't go to 55 C, so I would need to use a PID setup if I did want to go for the ale
      • Tower is not cooled - would need to get a forced air system setup somehow
      • other parts likely cheap - may need to replace
    • Edgestar KC1500 ($1049) or BR1500 (fridge only, $819)
      • Cooled tower (KC1500) - but BR1500 is forced air, so I assume I could buy a tower and set it up easily
      • Goes up to 60 F
    So - I know we're not impressed with Edgestar around here, however the only other skinny system I found was Perlick at $4K - out of the question (if anyone knows of other models I missed please let me know). So I guess my real question revolves around why does Edgestar suck? Is it the actual fridge, or is it the taps, regulator, lines, etc? If it is the latter, I could just get the BR1000 (fridge only) for $374, and pour the rest of the money into taps, regulator, etc? What parts of the system can I cheap out on, and which parts should I dump some cash into?

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (380) Sep 1, 2004 New York

I think you pretty much summed up all the concerns. You can spend money on a turn key unit or you can build your own. Not hard to do but it will require a commitment.

If it were my install for a customer on a budget (which btw is every customer, always, nothing new here) I would consider the fridge only option and then piece the equipment together. Edgestar is selling at a price point, as in the marketing department sets the sale price and the engineers then go about making something that Home Depot, Best Buy or Bed Bath and Beyond will put on a shelf. Bev Air, True, Perlick etc. also have to compete but they do not cut too many corners. We just last night installed a narrow width Bev Air 4 faucet back bar kegerator and all the beer contact hardware was stainless, Stainless tower too. That pushes the cost up significantly but that is also quality. Edgestar is not going to provide great quality hardware. It's pretty miserable in fact. But if the box can get cold you're half way there.

Google BeerAdvocate under bar kegerator.

A discussion on Edgestar and kegerator quality in general.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/home-bar-kegerator.246975/

A discussion on built ins.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...er-dual-tap-kegerator-recommendations.581347/

CrazyPete likes this.
  3. CrazyPete

Great - thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the quality of the fridge itself? Even within Edgestar the built in its twice as much as the stand alone. I think Kegco also makes a skinny one around $900. I couldn't find much details on the compressor, etc. for any of these though - I just want to make sure it will keep the beer cold.

4. Kpoman

Kpoman Initiate (15) Mar 15, 2019 California

Well, I actually own the Edgestar KC1500 and I love it! I too needed a skinny option. The only thing that I didn't like was the keg coupler that came with system so I exchanged it out for a Kegco coupler - all good! Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

CrazyPete likes this.
  5. CrazyPete

OK - thanks Kpoman - that will likely be the one I get!